Marblehead

Chuang Tzu Chapter 2, Section D

True ZZ needed to be interpret metaphorically.

However there must be a reason why ZZ choose certain word (word??) to represent something.

Such as why you choose to name yourself ChiDragon, Marblehead as Marblehead, Lienshan as Lienshand, Dawei as Dawei and Xiejia as Xiejia.

There are always stories behind these name, by dismissing it; it would be the same as using A,B or C.

In my humble opinion, I do think that it have some value in looking into.

smile.gif

Sigh... If it were only so. ^_^

warm regards

Sigh... If it were only so. ^_^

warm regards

laugh.gif Indeed

I just don't see a reason to reject it or to fixate on it.

Have a nice day happy.gif

laugh.gif Indeed

Have a nice day happy.gif

Ah... neither this nor that...

The dual path... the equal fashioning of heaven...

When we keep it simple it is indeed simple !

Ah... neither this nor that...

The dual path... the equal fashioning of heaven...

When we keep it simple it is indeed simple !

Simple?? Sigh... If it were only so. :lol:

p.s... I'm talking about the efforts required to translate from chinese characters to an alphabatic language. And you are right regarding simplicity; the simplest path is from the moon straight to the heart. No characters words required!

warm regards

p.s... I'm talking about the efforts required to translate from chinese characters to an alphabatic language. And you are right regarding simplicity; the simplest path is from the moon straight to the heart. No characters words required!

warm regards

oops.........You beat me to it.

In Chinese thinking, a character(字) is a word. Xie Jia was thinking in Chinese and did not make the English conversion in his mind. I knew why he wrote the "word" for character. ZhuangTze said: What does matter if we knew what it means and why was said it that way...??? I think ZZ Chapter 2, Section C says all. BTW I just finished the translation on it...:)

Edited by ChiDragon

In Chinese thinking, a character(字) is a word. BTW I just finished the translation on it...:)

So, you are saying that every character translates to a word?

If so, there would only be, or need be, one translation of the TTC, ZZ, etc, and the debates would then be about what the translation meant.

The debate over what a word/character means can come only after an agreement as to what the word/character is. Oui?

warm regards

So, you are saying that every character translates to a word?

If so, there would only be, or need be, one translation of the TTC, ZZ, etc, and the debates would then be about what the translation meant.

The debate over what a word/character means can come only after an agreement as to what the word/character is. Oui?

warm regards

hehehe...

Qui! That's EXACTLY what should have been taken place.

What I meant was a Chinese character is a Chinese word. A Chinese word is a Chinese character; instead of a Chinese character is an English word nor an English word is a Chinese character. Is this Confusing enough for you.....??? :)

Edited for clarification:

The symbol 字 means a Chinese word in Chinese thinking. For example,

To express an:

1. English word: 英文 字

2. Chinese word: 中文 字

PS...

What I am saying was that there is no such thing as a "character" in Chinese thinking.

Edited by ChiDragon

hehehe...

Qui! That's EXACTLY what should have been taken place.

What I meant was a Chinese character is a Chinese word. A Chinese word is a Chinese character; instead of a Chinese character is an English word nor an English word is a Chinese character. Is this Confusing enough for you.....??? :)

Edited for clarification:

The symbol 字 means a Chinese word in Chinese thinking. For example,

To express an:

1. English word: 英文 字

2. Chinese word: 中文 字

PS...

What I am saying was that there is no such thing as a "character" in Chinese thinking.

headbashwall.gif

sigh...

^_^ warm regards

warm regards

@Chidragon

smile.gif

@Rene

Although I am of Chinese descent; I would say my Chinese is quite weak.

However, I use a small technique that I think would also be useful for non-chinese reader/Western audience.

That is to go straight to the feeling/concepts that comes to mind when the words/characters are invoked.

Chinese language is a pictograph, they just puts a lot pictures together to tell the story.

Think of it as reading a strings of symbol or emoticons.

sleep.gifwacko.gifunsure.gifohmy.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

Take care now;

XJ

P.S.

You might need a dictionary...

Edited by XieJia

sleep.gifwacko.gifunsure.gifohmy.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

oh hold on i'll translate

i was sleeping with a smug look on my face then POW my cat jumped on my belly and woke me up

i was worried for a minute so i said HEY CAT QUIT THAT

then my cat looked at me lovingly so i smiled then it started purring so i grinned a big grin

then i licked it <wink> cause im freaky like that

damn another hairball! *gackckgjk*

That is to go straight to the feeling/concepts that comes to mind when the words/characters are invoked.

... the simplest path is from the moon straight to the heart. No characters words required!

same same

^_^

p.s. anamatva - that was brilliant! Now please go do The Laozi. :D

Edited by rene

oh hold on i'll translate

i was sleeping with a smug look on my face then POW my cat jumped on my belly and woke me up

i was worried for a minute so i said HEY CAT QUIT THAT

then my cat looked at me lovingly so i smiled then it started purring so i grinned a big grin

then i licked it <wink> cause im freaky like that

damn another hairball! *gackckgjk*

happy.gif

Love it!

Bowing-Figure-museum-1999-Guru-bowing-l.jpeg