Cameron

Kunlun:4 Years later

@Taomeow

OK, so since the day energy changes daily, while month and year stay for a month or a year, I guess the latter ones are more powerful cumulatively? Like me being prosperous wood, every day is different and cycling, but if you look at the whole year, a water year will in general be more heplful than a metal year, right?

My question was also aiming at the effect of the energies of stem and branch regarding me. If it is a water year, but with earth in the branch, which will affect me in which way?

Because I really don't have the energy to check every single day and adjust accordingly - I can just be aware of how the energy of the day is and accept it like that, as a cycle. But the longer the cycles, the more important I think it is for me to know it might be a bad phase in a long cycle.

Then again... since I don't have good experience with waiting or procrastination, maybe I'll do what I have to when I want to do it anyway. Usually I don't have the luxury to wait for supportive energies, and after all, I'm driven by those energies anyway, so whatever I do was supposed to happen.

It seems to me that the more I learn to listen to my heart, the more I am able to make decisions based on Ba Zi without having to know Ba Zi. This also keeps the intellect from burning too much energy. ... But, as you see repeatedly, what Ba Zi can do very well is inspire, encourage and confirm.

Edited by Hardyg

Suprisingly, I have gotten messages asking where to get more information on Kunlun.

Max's site is primordialalchemist.com

Also, I feel the need to say something. It's fine to have strong opinions about teachers. I like to tell my students here in Asia not to be robots but think for yourself! Max has always expressed this to me. So much so I would be fine disagreeing with him about something. I don't take every word my teacher says as the word of God.

But as a practitioner and someone who is trying to improve myself I think you can still always conduct yourself in a respectful, courteous way. Yes, we fail sometimes. Just look around at posts here on Taobums and you can see basic good manners are often lacking. But I think it's the intention behind it that's important.

As I heard someone say 'pay attention not to what people say but what they do',

Best wishes,

Cameron

Cameron, are you really surprised????

Ok, you might be and my post implies that I think you ought to know better, but maybe you don't. Sorry about that. :)

I don't want to sound mean or anything, and my intent is courteous but you might want to look at marketing/advertising/propaganda material to account for some of the 'effect' that a lot of noise about Kunlun (good or nay) might have.

I'm almost sure any practice gets more hits when we have a TTB's ruckus about it. I can't say anything about Kunlun as a practice but I'm certainly intrigued enough to try it :-)

Haha, As soon as I wrote that I thought some people might think I meant suprised as in the way you are thinking.

But no, I mean suprised in that I would find it hard to belive after all these threads and discussions anyone would not be aware of how to find out more about Max! hehe

Ok, good luck to everyone and all that.

ps. If any Taobums in China ever want to get together send me a pm! I would love to learn more about different perspectives of authentic Chinese Taoism.

Cam

I see it is entertaining!

Some of the guys here know me from what was a seemingly endless debate, several years back, as to the veracity of Kunlun. Be interesting to know what people think they've gained after doing the practice for a year or two?

Thanks for responding.

Off topic but maybe you can clarify..

Consistently in my meditation a bright golden/whitish light fills my internal vision, Im not currently dealing with any visualisation and I don't aim to produce any experiences so is this a natural manifestation of the "ling"?

Another thing I noticed is if I am suddenly disturbed while in this "state" the light suddenly disperses/scatters or shifts, I don't find this pleasent.

You know, it's possible... :) ...but I only know what mine looks like. One of the reasons the theory seemed credible to me is that I recognized this light -- I've seen it as a very small child, pretty much always if I closed my eyes and wasn't distracted by something else. I used to play with it, moving it this way and that, in different patterns, at different levels of brightness... wondering what it was, noticing that it was basically a good feeling to see it, somewhere between very comforting and very mysterious. And then as an adult I mostly forgot about it, and whenever I remembered, I noticed it wasn't what it used to be, and sometimes I couldn't see it at all, or else just faintly. So, a practice that gathers it doesn't feel like something made up or artificial because I know this light, always have, and know the feelings that come with it.

Master Wang could see what was going on with it during the practice in all the practitioners. At one point he told me, after the practice, exactly where it "stuck" when I was moving it. Which was pretty amazing and exactly correct.

• Like 1

@Taomeow

OK, so since the day energy changes daily, while month and year stay for a month or a year, I guess the latter ones are more powerful cumulatively? Like me being prosperous wood, every day is different and cycling, but if you look at the whole year, a water year will in general be more heplful than a metal year, right?

Yes, that's quite true. In fact, the larger "spacetimescape" (the taoist counterpart of a "landscape") is always more fundamental, it dictates parameters of great-scale changes that for purposes of a human life, or even the life of a whole civilization, are not perceptible as changes and appear as something unchanging or even eternal. Like, you know, the sun and moon and stars. They are all pretty temporary in the grand scheme of things, but for our lifetime, and for the lifetime of a whole bunch of civilizations, they have been the "canvas," the immutable (well, almost...) backdrop. Which doesn't mean they can't change when their time comes. Taoist astrology looks at 120,000 year stretches (and can look beyond, but doesn't see the point) and then smaller cycles within that period -- 60,000, 20,000, and then progressively smaller, down to the 120-minute hour of the Chinese calendar, and then its 60-minute yang and 60-minute yin increments. (And could take it to a smaller scale but doesn't see the point. :) ) We live in a space-time fractal, and the larger spacetimescape always dictates what its smaller harmonics down the line will be like.

So, knowing the larger picture means knowing things you can't change. While knowing the smaller harmonics of this fractal -- days, months, years -- means knowing things you can. That's free will in action. No small fry. I'm forever thrilled with taoist pragmatism -- free will is not an abstract concept to a practicing taoist, it is a tool that you either use or don't, and then when you use it, you can use it as a very clumsy unskilled worker whose creations have neither much beauty nor much utility, or even break stuff... or you can use it as a master, with precision and elegance -- and express your will in your creations that will harmonize with "the will of heaven and earth" -- the larger spacetimescape -- or even bend it to yours. Immortals are known to have done that, to have changed the course of heaven and earth. And they all had to start with the smaller-scale harmonics within themselves.

My question was also aiming at the effect of the energies of stem and branch regarding me. If it is a water year, but with earth in the branch, which will affect me in which way?

I don't remember if Earth is your unlucky or neutral phase, I do seem to recall it's not a lucky one. If it is unlucky, it will interfere somewhat with your influx of the lucky Water, but all in all, any Water anywhere for Water-deficient Wood is all-around better than any other configuration, hands down. Any phase deficient in the Mother phase is primarily dependent on that.

Because I really don't have the energy to check every single day and adjust accordingly - I can just be aware of how the energy of the day is and accept it like that, as a cycle. But the longer the cycles, the more important I think it is for me to know it might be a bad phase in a long cycle.

Then again... since I don't have good experience with waiting or procrastination, maybe I'll do what I have to when I want to do it anyway. Usually I don't have the luxury to wait for supportive energies, and after all, I'm driven by those energies anyway, so whatever I do was supposed to happen.

It seems to me that the more I learn to listen to my heart, the more I am able to make decisions based on Ba Zi without having to know Ba Zi. This also keeps the intellect from burning too much energy. ... But, as you see repeatedly, what Ba Zi can do very well is inspire, encourage and confirm.

Right.

Just remember that things that are out of balance seldom gain "more balance" from random application of forces. Something that is standing firmly and sturdily you can push any which way your heart tells you and it will stay put, just enjoying the stimulation. But something that stands on edge... you really need to know which way to push and which way to pull to give it more stability rather than drop it and break it. So, people with balanced charts seldom go wrong when they listen to their heart and do whatever, but people with unbalanced charts (the vast majority of people alive today, per my experience) are quite prone to leaning in directions in which they are ALREADY leaning BECAUSE of the imbalance.

And another thing... "Listen to your heart," in wuxing terms, means "listen to Fire." You personally would benefit much more from listening to your Kidneys. :)

• Like 2

Cat-dragon with an overabundance of water (to spare!) to the, uh, "rescue" of my water-deficient fellow bums!

What can i do fer ya ^_^?

Ok. Whatever;-)

TaoMeow, excellent post as usual! Love to hear more about the coming rebellion:-)

Edited by -K-

Love to hear more about the coming rebellion:-)

Return of the Great Deluge? :blink:

Or maybe just a rainy year. :)

You personally would benefit much more from listening to your Kidneys. :)

Intriguing that my house-of-will "advice" was generally along those lines also, albeit phrased a thousand times less elegantly :lol:

Hope you're doing well, Hardy /\ :)

Hope you're doing well, Hardy /\ :)

I have to invest greatly in order to make tiny steps, but somehow, on average, yeah, I'm doing better now.

From the Heights of the mountains the work of swords

As the season grows the frozen intent thaws and rushes towards the sea.

Sword art flowing down from the mountain through the valley.

As the water reaches the lowlands farming becomes the use of the water.

Finally the shore is reached and the art of harmony shows how waves of the mind form

• Like 2