xabir2005

How you apply Buddhism in life

In not accepting their views you don't necessarily have to bring negativity into play on your part.

This is true. However,

Once we make a value judgement we have gone to the world of dualities: good/bad. And we all know that bad is a negative.

The trick is, IMO, seeing all of life from beyond a point of view of good vs. bad.

(Yeah, that's the Nietzsche in me rearing its head again. Hehehe.)

This is true. However,

Once we make a value judgement we have gone to the world of dualities: good/bad. And we all know that bad is a negative.

The trick is, IMO, seeing all of life from beyond a point of view of good vs. bad.

(Yeah, that's the Nietzsche in me rearing its head again. Hehehe.)

I think the further away one is from a situation the easier it is to not be negative or less negative.

At some point - i myself am not there yet - one sees the world without judgement.

More in terms of yin and yang - neither good or bad - without labels.

I think the further away one is from a situation the easier it is to not be negative or less negative.

At some point - i myself am not there yet - one sees the world without judgement.

More in terms of yin and yang - neither good or bad - without labels.

Yep.

The further we are detached from given events the less they effect us.

A cautionary note here though: This could lead to apathy. I don't think this would be good for an individual. We really do need to care.

This would beg the questions: How much should we care? What things should we care about?

And this would bring us right back to making judgements again, wouldn't it?

laugh.gifLooks like it's cosy in here.

Perhaps...

We should let the world see itself.

Hehehe. Yes, it is so nice to have a discussion such as this without the various belief system labels being used as weapons and shields.

By letting the world see itself;

We deny what is coveted by the self;

We accept what is rejected by the self;

When denying and accepting fails to be different. Then what could it be called?

Still, I borrowed this from somewhere; me myself don't know much.

By letting the world see itself;

We deny what is coveted by the self;

We accept what is rejected by the self;

When denying and accepting fails to be different. Then what could it be called?

Still, I borrowed this from somewhere; me myself don't know much.

Yeah. You changed some of the words too. Hehehe.

But I know what you are pointing to. Personally, I have my preferences. I often call things 'useful' or 'useless' (to/for me).

Yep.

The further we are detached from given events the less they effect us.

A cautionary note here though: This could lead to apathy. I don't think this would be good for an individual. We really do need to care.

This would beg the questions: How much should we care? What things should we care about?

And this would bring us right back to making judgements again, wouldn't it?

One can care and take positive action without negativity creeping in.

Two examples Ammachi, the Dali Lama - if they can't do it no one can.

Not caring is something else altogether.

Caring too much can lead to heartbreak and violence.

What should we care about - mainly right action- harmlessness - treating others as ourselves.

On the other hand if thinking positively about one thing creates some negativity - maybe we should accept it as the way of the world and not a bad thing.

I think the trick is not to engage in the negativity.

I think the trick is not to engage in the negativity.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I like to think that I am an optimist. Reality sneaks in now and then and I do get negative on occasion but allowing this to happen helps nothing - especially myself.

Yes, just acknowledging the way things are without focusing on what we consider negative would be great. Hehehe. I'm not there yet. Oh well.

I like the points of view both of you (Marble & Myth) bring to this. If one is to continue to play the game of living-in-the-world as a human being I can hardly imagine doing so without having feelings and thoughts about people and events near to you. Seems to me the trick is to recognize those thoughts and feelings without clinging to them as the only righteous view, not denying them.

Edited by stan herman

Sinfest, is it ok to copy the cartoons and send them around? If so, whats the best way to copy? I look forward to seeing some of your own--and soon, I hope.

They were meant to be seen online so I think it's ok. Use Copy/Paste :).

Mine is going to be about taoist mice :lol: but I don't know what would be the best way to draw it.

With practice and new found awareness we can finally witness our thoughts, feelings etc. We then tackle our behavioral issues head on. As we continue to practice cessation and prajna, we slowly work thru the skandas and finally become helpful to society. Effortless awareness is pure consciousness and a function of our true self. We learn to function from this new being instead of the old karma fixed conciousness we have carried around from who knows.