gj551

hsuan kuan

although i got the vibe that it would be better to keep quiet about this curiosity beat me to it

so after running the MCO for some time (say 30 years) you are supposed to see a white light, to which they refer by many extravagant metaphors like 'original face', 'mysterious gate' or hsuan kuan

most meditation guides dont mention this. i know of only 3 which do: TY by c.l., this page (http://www.taoiststudy.com/content/step-15-conceive-foetus-true-self-1) and the hui ming ching but there it is shrouded in a cryptic description which is not that straightforwward

well then on seeing it one is to draw prenatal vitality from it

although i got the vibe that it would be better to keep quiet about this curiosity beat me to it

so after running the MCO for some time (say 30 years) you are supposed to see a white light, to which they refer by many extravagant metaphors like 'original face', 'mysterious gate' or hsuan kuan

most meditation guides dont mention this. i know of only 3 which do: TY by c.l., this page (http://www.taoiststudy.com/content/step-15-conceive-foetus-true-self-1) and the hui ming ching but there it is shrouded in a cryptic description which is not that straightforwward

Which translation are you using? I highly recommend Cleary's translation, since half of the book is the notes for every line of the text, explaining where different terms come from in Taoism and Buddhism and what they meant in other texts.

For the most part, phenomena such as lights and visions were mistakenly viewed as goals to be achieved, but this lead to people getting distracted by the flowers along the path.

there are also 3 Chapters in Cleary's translation which don't appear in the older translations, possibly because the terminology was too daunting for the translators who knew little to none about Taoism, Buddhism, and Alchemy.

After 30 years?That sounds too long.I know it is not the topic,but is that how long they say it takes?

By Cleary's translation, I would say 'probably' not, given that "the hundred days" is shown to be not literally 100 days but a compression of time during the final phase of the meditation, as if 100 days passed within the length of one breath. I didn't get the impression that the exercise was prohibitively long and difficult, but someone might have some info to correct me there..

I completely agree with reading the Cleary version over Wilhelm, but here is the Wilhelm version for easily reading some of the passages:

The Secret of the Golden Flower -- Translated by Richard Wilhelm

Just search for "Hundred" to the various passages,such as:

Then, if it is said that the foundation can be laid in a hundred days, first of all the degree of industry in work and the degree of strength in the physical constitution must be taken into account. Whoever is eager in the work, and has a strong constitution, succeeds more quickly in turning the water-wheel of the rear river. When a person has found the method of making thoughts and energy harmonize with one another, he can complete the Elixir within the hundred days. But whoever is weak and inert will not produce it even after the hundred days. When the Elixir is completed, spirit and energy are pure and clear; the heart is empty, human nature (hsing) manifest, and the light of consciousness transforms itself into the light of human nature, the Abysmal and the Clinging (fire, Li) have intercourse spontaneously.

I am not sure what we are capable of accomplishing in 100 days is the same as those alchemist who spent their lives surrounded with this way of life. As the above passage suggests:

"the degree of industry in work and the degree of strength in the physical constitution must be taken into account."

'mysterious gate' or hsuan kuan

玄關 - Xuan Guan

or sometimes as:

玄門 - Xuan Men

There are many names and places attributed to this, including the "Spirit Valley" (DDJ6).

Beware of taking such descriptions too literally.

Trying to understand meditation landmarks and experiences through the descriptions of another is worse than worthless.

The only way for there to be benefit is to practice a technique and share your own experience with a guide who has been there.

You will then be given progressively more demanding exercises to practice.

Having an expectation or goal is more of a distraction than a help.

By Cleary's translation, I would say 'probably' not, given that "the hundred days" is shown to be not literally 100 days but a compression of time during the final phase of the meditation, as if 100 days passed within the length of one breath. I didn't get the impression that the exercise was prohibitively long and difficult, but someone might have some info to correct me there..

Thanks Harmonious :) ,I was just curious as I am not so familiar with Daoist Alchemy(or its terminology),but find it interesting.

And was gonna say if it is 30 years than better not to waste time and take up different technique.

Terms like mysterious gate and original face that gj 551 mentions make sense I dont think they are extravagant metaphors.They seem to derive from different understanding that arises once this process start to happen.

Best is to develop ones own insight .

This white light does transform,I call it love-bleach(that is my made up terminology for not knowing better)and it doesent take long to activate...

Yeah, 30 years is a lot quicker than 30 lifetimes. :)

Hi sun. :) Have you experienced this white light? If so, please share. :D

What I meant 30 years is a long time,as I am aware of few people that didnt require such long time.Dedication and a lot of practise.

If it is what I think this is talking about,it is like a 'liquid' light that shines where there was darkness previously hahaha.I am so crap with this explanations.

Let me try again it comes in the blood and bones and it washes away the sins.No!haha

This light is activiting me and makes me feel good , at ease with life,connected rather than seperate.

This light is me ,but there is beyond light where there is no me .This I have expirienced once with effect profound and feel that I am still in a process of embodiying this .

Have you any expirience with it Rainbow?

• Like 1

According to Taoist Yoga, the white light that just appears when you close your eyes doesn't have much meaning while the mysterious gate is associated with a white light present when your eyes are open. I believe it occurs when the Small Universe is at a high level. I haven't experienced this second white light.