Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Suppression and Repression of Sexuality

I will have more time later and a discussion may prove to have value. Here is a link to my previous post on one of Non's threads. Will be back later.

My link

Where there is celibacy, normally there is a high degree of deviancy, regardless of the religions institution. What the psychiatric community is finding is that many of the people that choose to go into religious orders that practice celibacy, do so because they suffer from some kind of deviation that causes them guilt and they believe that by joining the order that it will remove or help them to control those deviant impulses.

I want to clarify that not all people who practice celibacy are deviant, but one thing to keep in mind is that even those people who go into these institutions without suffering from a deviancy, will often tend to fall into deviant behavior later on. What this tells me is that frequent sexual release is not only normal, but healthy physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

i don't remember who the original poster was, i saved it into my computer for later.

i think it sums up my beliefs too...

Qi is sexual.

If it doesn't flow into it's natural channels, it will create floods and disasters, much like a river that has that potential.

So, there we have it:

1. The way of the humans (procreation and pleasure)

2. The way of the sages (nuturing wisdom and higher consciousness)

3. The way of the pervert (nutruring sexual desire that is unnatural and unsafe)

4. The way of the wacko (sexual energy destabilizing the nervous system)

Mm?

Edited by Little1
  • Like 1

B) Starting off squarely on the wrong foot! Driving vitality into the LTT doesnt involve suppression of sexuality, it is an expression of such.

The only things that are at all "suppressed" are incorrect thoughts and views - and even those arent "suppressed" but "left behind" in favor of a more productive focus.

"When the generative force is full, there is no desire"

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 2

Reposting cat's questions and considerations:

More importantly, it seems to me, is the chance here to draw up a practical constructive new thread in which there is some wisdom shared about

How to tell the difference in your body and heart between:

(i)repression of sexual response

(ii)loss of libido due to health issues or depression or stress

(iii)evolution in practice leading to a smoother sexual journey ie loss of objectivising women and being driven by lust

IF you all feel you can draw up such a distinction map, then I reckon it would be valuable for many.

A repost of my initial thoughts on some distinctions:

I don't profess to have a working map for people, but this is when red flags start going up for me-

When your goals involve restricting or dominating something with your force of will in conjunction (because willpower alone isn't necessarily bad) with the demonizing of a systemic, effective, driving force within the body or mind- in this case, sex.

Sexual thoughts and reactions with your sexual glands are a part of a healthy body. I don's know about other guys, but I get random, non-sex related erections throughout the day. And as far as I know, that's healthy and to be expected. Problems arise when we begin to obsess over these things because we view them as wrong, and get progressively worse as we ARTIFICIALLY ATTEMPT to change these processes ourselves.

Furthermore, our minds come up with tens of thousands of thoughts a day. Some sexual, some not. And interestingly, when you try to avoid something, the more sensitized you become to it. The more you see it. And once you see it, the harder it is to let go. I suggest reading this article on intrusive thoughts, especially as they relate to OCD. Basically, things that would never have bothered you start to drive you nuts because you have become overly sensitized to their presence (though they've been there all along) and you suddenly can't let them go, so you start to come up with more and more elaborate (and sometimes even unhealthy) ways to get rid of these thoughts. And now you have a mild form of OCD. And some people would call that spiritual progress, and codify it into a system where others can do it too.

Now earlier I mentioned artificial attempts to change things. This is in contrast to things occurring naturally.

For instance, some people feel the need to go on a special diet when they are being spiritual. For me, spiritual practices have made me more aware of what I'm eating, why I'm eating it, and what it's actually doing to my body. Many of the foods I use to love physically repulse me now, because I actually know what's happening to my body.

Now diets can be fairly low impact to very dramatic, but it can get more tricky- especially when it comes to the sex stuff. Trying to change a diet or change your sex routine from the get go is putting the cart before the horse. The horse is your practice, and things like diet and celibacy arise in their own due course as you start to change the core of your life. This way, you can do things because you WANT to do them, and not because you "should" do them (because it's what spiritual people do, because it's what your guru said, because it was in a book, yadda yadda)

Loss of libido in conjunction with depression and things like that can be found by, well, looking to see if there are any other signs and symptoms of depression.

The evolution would be just that- and evolution, a change in the way you perceive the game. You don't have to go through elaborate mental or physical hoops to avoid or get rid of your sexual thoughts- they just don't happen like they used to!

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Suppression and Repression of Sexuality doesn´t sound positive to me. But it might have a purpose.

Males have a feminine nature aswell, and females have a masculine nature aswell. Sometimes being too open about sexuality will lead to panda-like human behaviour like in japan. These males are very ripe, but now face the dilema of prefering to remain sexualy natural and thus have the population of japan shrink... If they do play the game, learn to submit into a certain role of sexuality then we will have some kind of new peace age or something. Which I do see sometimes in seduction communities, but never in the real world. Usually the most attractice men can be very destructive and most atractive female can be very disapointing in personal relationships, since they truely have no sense of maturity whatsoever, neither of them. For me personally, they are both gold for attraction. In sex, being unbalanced in your sexuality leads to attraction and balance leads to neutrality. Some even claim that a feminine male and masculine female might be attracted to eachother but I have to see that one for my self first. Would be interesting...

A masculine male becoming feminine, feminine woman becoming masculine and vice versa. These people will have both, becoming natural. They make for great friends and partners, but not for sex and attraction. Where's the baby coming from then?

Edited by Everything

Furthermore, our minds come up with tens of thousands of thoughts a day.

This is at the very root of the issue. If you are not putting in the time cultivating a still mind, then it is better to just "be natural" because unless you cultivate a quiet, calm, discerning mind, you can forget about ever getting to the root of your sexual urges.

As your practice goes, so goes your performance. Whether its athletics or alchemy, its about good, proper, mindful, diligent practice.

• Like 3

B) Starting off squarely on the wrong foot! Driving vitality into the LTT doesnt involve suppression of sexuality, it is an expression of such.

The only things that are at all "suppressed" are incorrect thoughts and views - and even those arent "suppressed" but "left behind" in favor of a more productive focus.

What authoritarian determines what is incorrect or not in regards to the free expression of coherent emotions and sexuality? The religious ideology of so called incorrect views have caused untold pain and suffering. Not liberation as you believe.

Edited by ralis

Males have a feminine nature aswell, and females have a masculine nature aswell. Sometimes being too open about sexuality will lead to panda-like human behaviour like in japan. These males are very ripe, but now face the dilema of prefering to remain sexualy natural and thus have the population of japan shrink... If they do play the game, learn to submit into a certain role of sexuality then we will have some kind of new peace age or something.

What are you talking about? Panda behavior in Japan? Huh?

This is at the very root of the issue. If you are not putting in the time cultivating a still mind, then it is better to just "be natural" because unless you cultivate a quiet, calm, discerning mind, you can forget about ever getting to the root of your sexual urges.

As your practice goes, so goes your performance. Whether its athletics or alchemy, its about good, proper, mindful, diligent practice.

The natural root of sexual urges is tied directly to evolutionary forces. Any class in Biology 110 will provide the answers.

What authoritarian determines what is incorrect or not in regards to the free expression of coherent emotions and sexuality? The religious ideology of so called incorrect views have caused untold pain and suffering. Not liberation as you believe.

I dont think Taoist immortals will want to review your quibble any more than I, not that I'm drawing a correlation on my present status in the least! If you cant understand the root of what's being discussed, how can one conceive of, much less speak of Q when ABC has not been experientially understood?

If you feel that letting emotions and sexuality run amok in perpetual "free expression" is going to make you any progress in alchemy...I'm sure I dont need to state how mistaken that view is.

Your issue here appears to be at a conceptual level. Repression, Suppression, vs free expression, the equation including a preselected set of options that arent applicable to a successful strategy. Because let's face it - if you're practicing celibacy, it is for alchemical purposes. That is not the same thing as repressing your sexuality so that one can freeze and hold fast to the energy thereof!!!!

Now, if you're talking about wandering harmoniously through samsara, that is an entirely different thing...and it appears that's about all you're encompassing. Bio 101 may have told you some things, but what makes you think that Bio 101 has a complete and comprehensive assessment of the totality of what we're talking about?

You're wasting my time.

• Like 2

But see, in my experience, TRYING to stop the thoughts is almost impossible. More often than not, it causes MORE thoughts. More tension. And more problems. People hear things like "samadhi", states of no thought, states of no breathing (! because thoughts are associated with breath, no breath = no thought, right?). And even if you manage to claw your way through, and get a second of clarity, you are worse off than you were before with all the mental and physical agony and backlash that are rebounding at you, so next time it will be harder for you and you'll get less done.

That just doesn't seem like a very smart way to go about doing things, although some traditions do maintain that is how it is done- that when you get enlightened, who cares about what state your lesser body and mind are in? That the agony and torture you feel in your body is you lesser mind trying to fight your progress. These are instances in which repression and control start to harm you, but people have been told by various teaching that those are, in fact, "good".

Well this stuff is all well and good for the 1 person every 10,000 years who manages to get enlightened in this way. For the other schmucks, they're screwed. They have ravaged bodies and minds- and that's assuming they have access to a complete set of teachings! What if you're just a dude on an internet forum trying to better your life? You're twisting your balls up in all these different ways, you are beating yourself up every time you think something "bad", you are ravaging your body and mind, and are you really getting anything out of it? Spiritual peace? Spiritual growth? More like just another stressful mechanism of control.

IMHO.

Thoughts slowing down and stopping happens, for me, anyway, as a result of o process of self inquiry and examination, as I try to get to the root of and resolve my stuff.

Sometimes it means looking at my thought patterns. And sometimes it means looking at my body and going "well this guy just wants to fuck.... that explains it."

But understanding and acceptance of something does NOT equate to allowing it. It just, for me, means you aren't trying to make something it isn't before you deal with it, and instead are going to deal with what it really is. But you have to find out what it really is first.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

I dont think Taoist immortals will want to review your quibble any more than I, not that I'm drawing a correlation on my present status in the least! If you cant understand the root of what's being discussed, how can one conceive of, much less speak of Q when ABC has not been experientially understood?

If you feel that letting emotions and sexuality run amok in perpetual "free expression" is going to make you any progress in alchemy...I'm sure I dont need to state how mistaken that view is.

Your issue here appears to be at a conceptual level. Repression, Suppression, vs free expression, the equation including a preselected set of options that arent applicable to a successful strategy. Because let's face it - if you're practicing celibacy, it is for alchemical purposes. That is not the same thing as repressing your sexuality so that one can freeze and hold fast to the energy thereof!!!!

Now, if you're talking about wandering harmoniously through samsara, that is an entirely different thing...and it appears that's about all you're encompassing. Bio 101 may have told you some things, but what makes you think that Bio 101 has a complete and comprehensive assessment of the totality of what we're talking about?

You're wasting my time.

Read the post that I linked to. I am referring to freedom from authoritarians that seek to control sexuality for power and political means by using abusive methods and propaganda. Free coherent expression of emotions and sexuality are what I am referring to.

BTW, I started this thread and I certainly know what I am talking about! If you care to participate in regards to what I wrote, then feel free. If not, start your own thread!

Further, do you know any Taoist immortals? If not then stop referring to these beings as if you do. That is just pandering to a higher cause and using that to somehow win!

Edited by ralis

I think Reich was right about so much, the old psychoanalysts may not have the answers for everything but they all agree on the basic point that complete repression of your needs drives you insane. They were most probably not aware of sublimation methods though, but what methods really work?

Gurdjieff talks in his book 'Beelzebubs Tales to His Grandson' about visiting many monks in monasteries who were practising complete celibacy like Christian Trappist monks, but most of these monks had lost the knowledge of what to do to sublimate the sexual energy and he said the results were twofold; either the monks would become fat and blubbery like a pig, or they would become lean, thin and with a cruel psyche with a cold heart. It was verified over and over by him that if you don't sublimate sexual energy properly the energy starts to have a devolving effect on your being.

• Like 3

But see, in my experience, TRYING to stop the thoughts is almost impossible. More often than not, it causes MORE thoughts. More tension. And more problems. People hear things like "samadhi", states of no thought, states of no breathing (! because thoughts are associated with breath, no breath = no thought, right?). And even if you manage to claw your way through, and get a second of clarity, you are worse off than you were before with all the mental and physical agony and backlash that are rebounding at you, so next time it will be harder for you and you'll get less done.

Again, starting off on the wrong foot...you're detailing a process from an initial flaw right there. You do not try to stop thoughts, it comes naturally via many well established paths, you let them come and go, open front door, open back door, no furtherance until such time as you reach a stage where your mind quiets. We're talking 'advanced stuff' (i.e. alchemy) and these basic things are hindrances? If that is the case, then return to fundamentals. If you dont temper your breath, you wont be able to temper your thoughts, you wont be able to experience subtler breathing - what do you have then to "build the house" upon?

That's part of the issue with being exposed to so much knowledge...depending on how things are introduced it practically creates an extra task for you to go back and reestablish fundamentals after you've looked through a keyhole at all of this interesting and confounded stuff way up the mountain!

You've got to get past khumbu before worrying about the hilary step, bro ;) Tackling breath, tackling thoughts, are more fundamental than tackling your sexuality. If you havent made progress on the former, progress on the latter isnt going to happen. Repressing thought is as productive as repressing sexuality (relatively speaking)...you are not repressing these things, you are transforming at a subtle level - as long as you keep these concepts crystallized in this paradigm, you're spinning your wheels.

• Like 3

Again, starting off on the wrong foot...you're detailing a process from an initial flaw right there. You do not try to stop thoughts, it comes naturally via many well established paths

I know, I talk about that in the bottom of my post. ;)

My point is the same as yours- people get caught up in the knowledge, misapply it, and wind up suppressing stuff and causing stagnation.

And what's worse, is they think they are doing it right because they are doing what they know is somewhere up the mountain, even if it is not right for them at the time.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Oh MY GOD! JOE!

You put it better than I ever would!

And with just a few sentences!

*bodyoflight bowing down to Joe*

• Like 1

BS..

Thousands of dzogchen monks plus spiritual practitioners from every tradition have destroyed their feelings of sexuality in order to transform their beings and souls into higher states of consciousness.

If a human does not destroy his animal consciousness, then how does his buddhic consciousness emerge?!

Granted, there are idiots within every tradition to fail to walk the path properly but that does not mean that every single monk or spiritual practitioner who practice spiritual celibacy fail to attain liberation as well.

Ralis, the more you post, the more immature and narrow-minded I find you to be.

• Like 1

The natural root of sexual urges is tied directly to evolutionary forces. Any class in Biology 110 will provide the answers.

Little do you know about the spiritual aspects behind sexual urges.

Biology 101 only provides less than 10% of the answers.

• Like 1

That just doesn't seem like a very smart way to go about doing things, although some traditions do maintain that is how it is done- that when you get enlightened, who cares about what state your lesser body and mind are in? That the agony and torture you feel in your body is you lesser mind trying to fight your progress. These are instances in which repression and control start to harm you, but people have been told by various teaching that those are, in fact, "good".

Well this stuff is all well and good for the 1 person every 10,000 years who manages to get enlightened in this way. For the other schmucks, they're screwed. They have ravaged bodies and minds- and that's assuming they have access to a complete set of teachings! What if you're just a dude on an internet forum trying to better your life? You're twisting your balls up in all these different ways, you are beating yourself up every time you think something "bad", you are ravaging your body and mind, and are you really getting anything out of it? Spiritual peace? Spiritual growth? More like just another stressful mechanism of control.

IMHO.

Thoughts slowing down and stopping happens, for me, anyway, as a result of o process of self inquiry and examination, as I try to get to the root of and resolve my stuff.

Sometimes it means looking at my thought patterns. And sometimes it means looking at my body and going "well this guy just wants to fuck.... that explains it."

But understanding and acceptance of something does NOT equate to allowing it. It just, for me, means you aren't trying to make something it isn't before you deal with it, and instead are going to deal with what it really is. But you have to find out what it really is first.

Sloppy I have to respond to you here..

Have you ever tried samadhi meditation before? Where you totally stopped all thoughts and only focused on your breathing?

You're wasting my time.

As you know Joe, each human has a Divine Ego and a Human Ego.

The Divine Ego will keep asking us to transcend.. to put out thoughts of compassion, patience, control over your thoughts.o

The Human Ego? Just keep thinking about hunger, lust, anger, basically the 7 sins and more..

So if one is to surrender all his thoughts, that means you are basically gonna let both the Human Ego and Divine Ego run their thoughts through you..

and if you are an unevolved creature, the negative thought-forms of the Human Ego will drown out the positive thought-forms of the Divine Ego..

This is why samadhi and stillness meditation is so necessary .. you have to still and destroy the thought-forms of the Human Ego so that the Divine Ego will come through the void of stillness and communicate with you..

Yes IT IS about suppression..

It is about Suppressing the negative thoughts of your Human Ego so that you can safely surrender to the positive thoughts of your Divine Ego

Thank you Joe.. everything is clear now.. Thank you..

Edited by bodyoflight

Joeblast is that done by rising the vitality through the central,front or back channel? Through the MCO?

Sloppy I have to respond to you here..

Have you ever tried samadhi meditation before? Where you totally stopped all thoughts and only focused on your breathing?

Do it all the time ^_^

Which is why I said if you "try" then you're in for a headache.

To do, you have to not do. Then it'll get ya!

So if one is to surrender all his thoughts, that means you are basically gonna let both the Human Ego and Divine Ego run their thoughts through you..

and if you are an unevolved creature, the negative thought-forms of the Human Ego will drown out the positive thought-forms of the Divine Ego..

This is the same rhetoric that Christians use AGAINST stillness meditation.

"If you leave your mind open, the devil will come in!"

It's one of the things that, in my opinion, prevents many Christians from making significant spiritual progress, even if they act out the right things- they aren't really doing anything with their baseline level of consciousness, so it takes a LOT to finally have an effect, and not all people are willing to run that many Church bake sales...

This is why samadhi and stillness meditation is so necessary .. you have to still and destroy the thought-forms of the Human Ego so that the Divine Ego will come through the void of stillness and communicate with you..

This to me is too paradoxical, and is the reason, I think, for many people not getting the point.

"stillness" is passive, waiting, observing. Destroying is active, doing something.

If you sit down thinking you're going to destroy thoughts, that in and of itself will generate more thoughts. You will be shooting yourself in the foot prior to running a race!

When you suppress, all of that content, all of those problems, are still there, waiting for you to mess up, and then they'll pounce on you. You have to treat yourself as the enemy. You are on guard 24/7. And when you mess up, it is brutal. It is a life of tension and being high strung. And for me, that just does not appeal to me. For the better part of a year I tried to fit into a regiment like that. It ruined my health, fried my nerves, and set me back further than I had started!

Now I know that everyone is different, so maybe it'll all work out differently for others, but I'm saying that when I stopped obsessing over it, when I said it was okay to mess up- to ejaculate, to think, to be lazy for a bit- they stopped happening! Because I wasn't always obsessing over the next time I was going to fail, or ejaculate, or think, or do whatever. So it lost its power and draw.

I became much happier and healthier. And guess what? When you free the content, and let it out, it's not there anymore to bother you. When you suppress it, it is.

And that, to me, is a HUGE difference.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

As you know Joe, each human has a Divine Ego and a Human Ego.

The Divine Ego will keep asking us to transcend.. to put out thoughts of compassion, patience, control over your thoughts.o

The Human Ego? Just keep thinking about hunger, lust, anger, basically the 7 sins and more..

It is about Suppressing the negative thoughts of your Human Ego so that you can safely surrender to the positive thoughts of your Divine Ego

Thank you Joe.. everything is clear now.. Thank you..

Joe is right. And it isnt about supression. No supression required.

Think dissolve, dismantle, unbind, pass by, unattach.. and a host of other words like that..none of them are the action of supression.

Supression strengthens resistance.

• Like 3

BS..

Thousands of dzogchen monks plus spiritual practitioners from every tradition have destroyed their feelings of sexuality in order to transform their beings and souls into higher states of consciousness.

If a human does not destroy his animal consciousness, then how does his buddhic consciousness emerge?!

Granted, there are idiots within every tradition to fail to walk the path properly but that does not mean that every single monk or spiritual practitioner who practice spiritual celibacy fail to attain liberation as well.

Ralis, the more you post, the more immature and narrow-minded I find you to be.

I don't know who you think you are and to call me immature and narrow minded is a personal attack. If you care to debate, stick with the facts!

BTW, I have been meditating and studying these subjects for 40 years. I happen to know more about what you are talking about than I have let on. Destroying feelings is a misrepresentation of the path. Especially, when discussing Dzogchen which I have been involved in for years.

Dzogchen is not about transformation of any kind and is about being in the natural state. Dzogchen monk is a contradiction in terms. Anyone who continually wears a uniform of a monk is suppressing the natural state and is obviously not living the natural state.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

The truth is that whatever you repress and suppress you actually keep, so it's a sort of sick joke of the universe that if you really want to get rid of something that you repress it by the action of trying to get rid of it you actually keep it and it intensifies. So if you want to stay an angry person repress your anger and if you want to remain a sexually obsessed person repress your sexuality. I guess it's a hard lesson for the ego to show that it can't dictate reality.

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this