bodyoflight

Siddhis and Powers are essential for Enlightenment

If I think that I am advanced, than I am more likely to get complacent. More likely to be self-satisfied, to be "superior".

Hm..you describe it as if you have a big suppressed ego, that would break out and take you over if you go astray for only one moment. Like a monster in the basement, lol. Or why exists this danger in you? I mean, if you had diminished your ego instead, how could there be such a danger of turning into a jerk or losing control?

Life constantly reveals to me that I have further to go. Every moment that I am still "me" is a reminder.

So you don't like being "you"??

Self-definition is one of the greatest stumbling blocks I know, especially when it comes to my "spiritual progress".

Not when you are able to estimate yourself correctly.

BTW, could you maybe describe what is "EGO" in your textbook?

Edited by Dorian Black

Siddhis viewed as accomplishment can be a trap.

The way is to move beyond siddhis.

Without siddhis, how are you going to explore your inner awareness and communicate with your higher self?

Wake up.

'Enlightenment' or 'Awakening', occurs when reality is perceived directly, as in Awareness aware of Itself. Siddhis may or may not accompany it, but Siddhis are a separate thing. One may certainly have siddhis and not be enlightened. One may be a Black Magician and accrue negative karma.

Dorian Black, is your name an allusion to 'Dorian Gray'? Is your name a hint of the nature of your spiritual pursuit?

The Portrait of Dorian Gray;

The novel tells of a young man named Dorian Gray, the subject of a painting by artist Basil Hallward. Basil is impressed by Dorian's beauty and becomes infatuated with him, believing his beauty is responsible for a new mode in his art. Dorian meets Lord Henry Wotton, a friend of Basil's, and becomes enthralled by Lord Henry's world view. Espousing a new hedonism, Lord Henry suggests the only things worth pursuing in life are beauty and fulfillment of the senses. Realizing that one day his beauty will fade, Dorian (whimsically) expresses a desire to sell his soul to ensure the portrait Basil has painted would age rather than himself. Dorian's wish is fulfilled, plunging him into debauched acts. The portrait serves as a reminder of the effect each act has upon his soul, with each sin displayed as a disfigurement of his form, or through a sign of aging.

-wikipedia

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

It seems you missed the topic.

bodyoflight's main theses were the following:

These are not about the question if you can chose to develop powers or not, they are about the inevitability of developing powers when accomplishing a spiritual achievement and therefore about the conclusion that powers can be used to measure the level of the achievement.

Why are powers "inevitable"? You really equate 'spiritual achievement' and 'powers'? Spiritual achievement and powers can be linked, but are not necessarily so. I suppose you must scoff at the teachings of advaita as being mere intellectual masturbation because they do not seek to develop powers but rather, to uncover the true nature of reality.

It seems to me that a very immature way to look at spirituality is to equate enlightenment and spirituality. Does the Buddha urge the development of powers?

Otis, on 07 April 2011 - 11:55 PM, said:

If I think that I am advanced, than I am more likely to get complacent. More likely to be self-satisfied, to be "superior".

Hm..you describe it as if you have a big suppressed ego, that would break out and take you over if you go astray for only one moment. Like a monster in the basement, lol. Or why exists this danger in you? I mean, if you had diminished your ego instead, how could there be such a danger of turning into a jerk or losing control?

Life constantly reveals to me that I have further to go. Every moment that I am still "me" is a reminder.

So you don't like being "you"??

Self-definition is one of the greatest stumbling blocks I know, especially when it comes to my "spiritual progress".

Not when you are able to estimate yourself correctly.

BTW, could you maybe describe what is "EGO" in your textbook?

You say: "if you had diminished your ego...". But I am my ego! My ego is not something else in my brain with me, that's bumping around, causing trouble. It is me!

Ego (in my book) is my habits of consciousness, the "computer program" that runs my life. It's not that I don't like "me"; I just recognize that "me" is only a small portion of the full being that exists. I am only the rhetorical 5% of my brain, and I'd like to invite the other 95% to come play.

Because "I" (my ego) have tried to be in control of my life up until recently, the other 95% sounds like a distant murmur, that can only be fully and clearly expressed, when I quiet myself (the 5%). The other 95% of my brain doesn't speak in English; it speaks in emotions, images, actions, desire, inspiration, sensations and ways I don't yet recognize. I have been raised to distrust that 95% (as "wild" or "animalistic"), and only trust the part that can reason with itself in language (the reasoning part). And that conditioning has crippled me, because I got stuck with only 5%, when I could've had 100%. So now, I am seeking to learn to humble my 5%, and listen to the rest.

Self-definition, IME, ties me to the 5%. Because it's about language, hierarchy, and comparison, it belongs only to the ego. Growth, IME, happens when I stop trying to control or define the organism, and instead allow the other 95% to naturally express itself.

As long as I define myself ("I am adjective"), then I am living in the 3rd person: outside, looking in. I am trying to achieve an impossible viewpoint, that of seeing myself. It doesn't matter whether I see myself as positive or negative, I still get stuck in 3rd person alienation from my life; it's something that's happening to me. But when I allow the rest of me to lead, then I live in the first-person, inseparable from the world. In first-person, I am my life, and so there is nothing to compare it to.

If I compare myself to others, I entrap myself. Whenever I imagine myself superior to someone else, then I also make myself inferior to others, as well. Hierarchy is a human game, that does not reflect anything "real". We are all different, but I am neither above nor below anyone else.

Especially when it comes to spirituality. How could I decide how spiritually advanced someone else is? By their behavior? I think not, because my reaction to their behavior may be entirely due to my own biases, rather than something "real" within them. Someone else's spirituality is their business, and any attempt by me to create a hierarchy, is just an expression of my ego's wishes or fears. I literally cannot know.

You write: "not when you are able to estimate yourself correctly". But how would you know? How do you know your self-estimation is not just an expression of a wish or fear? The probability of self-deception seems very very high. What could be more ego-pleasing than labeling myself "spiritually advanced"?

Even comparing myself to my own history is problematic. IME, growth does not happen linearly, but in something more like sine waves, with some up and some down. So, I cannot say with any certainty at all, that some event or decision in my life is evidence of "where I am".

IME, every attempt at self-definition is counter-productive, and self-definition in spirituality doubly-so. My best growth happens when I relax myself, and accept that I am not the leader of my life, but just a collection of functions in my brain. When I trust and allow my greater organism (my body) to take the lead, then I experience wu wei, I experience freedom. When I try to manage things, or pin things down with definition, then I experience self-entrapment.

BTW, I do have some siddhis, but I do not consider myself anywhere near "enlightenment". Siddhis are just another opportunity for growth.

Actually, I see the concept of enlightenment as useless, because it engages the ego's issues of hierarchy and attainment, and therefore inhibits growth. My focus is growth itself; what else do I need? Just keep waking up. Forget enlightenment, forget the significance of siddhis, forget self-definition, and ultimately, perhaps, forget self.

Edited by Otis

That is false.

If you hit an awakening stage. You WILL get hit with trojanings,

body switches, buthering rituals, poisoning/dirtying rituals.

Dorian Black, is your name an allusion to 'Dorian Gray'? Is your name a hint of the nature of your spiritual pursuit?

The Portrait of Dorian Gray;

The novel tells of a young man named Dorian Gray, the subject of a painting by artist Basil Hallward. Basil is impressed by Dorian's beauty and becomes infatuated with him, believing his beauty is responsible for a new mode in his art. Dorian meets Lord Henry Wotton, a friend of Basil's, and becomes enthralled by Lord Henry's world view. Espousing a new hedonism, Lord Henry suggests the only things worth pursuing in life are beauty and fulfillment of the senses. Realizing that one day his beauty will fade, Dorian (whimsically) expresses a desire to sell his soul to ensure the portrait Basil has painted would age rather than himself. Dorian's wish is fulfilled, plunging him into debauched acts. The portrait serves as a reminder of the effect each act has upon his soul, with each sin displayed as a disfigurement of his form, or through a sign of aging.

-wikipedia

Yea, it is. First comes achieving freedom and immortality, after that: Eternal fun (at least, that's the plan).

Why are powers "inevitable"? You really equate 'spiritual achievement' and 'powers'? Spiritual achievement and powers can be linked, but are not necessarily so.

In my conviction, spiritual achievement is the product of investing enough energy and time in the right energy work. Powers are simply the side-effect of the right energy work (and therefore inevitable). Why? Because when you get control over your chi and augment, compact and flow it, you will be able to influence your body and also your environment with it. This is the cause of "powers". Of course, when you use your cultivated energy to apply as "powers", it's in fact a waste for you if you first and foremost want to use that energy to build yourself an immortal vehicle (illusory body).

I suppose you must scoff at the teachings of advaita as being mere intellectual masturbation because they do not seek to develop powers but rather, to uncover the true nature of reality.

Reading Darin Hamel's enlightenment-experience as posted here in this forum (I think he now changed his name on this board to taichi...somewhat) confirmed my opinion that experiencing "one-ness" or "enlightenment" is not to archieve with intellectual or emotional work (like tying to understand how the universe works or becoming nicer) but is real perception of the energetic connections between all things (including yourself). Darin could actually SEE that energy and information flow between all things. enlightenment is nothing abstract, no conclusion and no result of intellectual reasoning. When you are not enlightened, you are like a dimmed down light bulb. When you are enlightened, you are like a bright burning light bulb. Your upper dantian/sahasradala chakra is powered to the max with chi (like the end result in the Kundalini process).

It seems to me that a very immature way to look at spirituality is to equate enlightenment and spirituality.

I don't do that.

Does the Buddha urge the development of powers?

I don't know. Who knows how much of the stuff he really told is still contained in these buddhist writings...

Hm, care to elaborate?

Not really. My interest on this thread is to suggest less self-definition and comparison. Listing siddhis would be just the opposite of that.

Yea, it is. First comes achieving freedom and immortality, after that: Eternal fun (at least, that's the plan).

In my conviction, spiritual achievement is the product of investing enough energy and time in the right energy work. Powers are simply the side-effect of the right energy work (and therefore inevitable). Why? Because when you get control over your chi and augment, compact and flow it, you will be able to influence your body and also your environment with it. This is the cause of "powers". Of course, when you use your cultivated energy to apply as "powers", it's in fact a waste for you if you first and foremost want to use that energy to build yourself an immortal vehicle (illusory body).

Reading Darin Hamel's enlightenment-experience as posted here in this forum (I think he now changed his name on this board to taichi...somewhat) confirmed my opinion that experiencing "one-ness" or "enlightenment" is not to archieve with intellectual or emotional work (like tying to understand how the universe works or becoming nicer) but is real perception of the energetic connections between all things (including yourself). Darin could actually SEE that energy and information flow between all things. enlightenment is nothing abstract, no conclusion and no result of intellectual reasoning. When you are not enlightened, you are like a dimmed down light bulb. When you are enlightened, you are like a bright burning light bulb. Your upper dantian/sahasradala chakra is powered to the max with chi (like the end result in the Kundalini process).

I don't do that.

I don't know. Who knows how much of the stuff he really told is still contained in these buddhist writings...

Side effects are NOT inevitable, and roads to awakening are not always paved with chi practices. BTW, Darin Hamel had an experience of something. I am not ready to classify him as an awakened being. Your logic in these instances, Dorian, is facile.

Not really. My interest on this thread is to suggest less self-definition and comparison. Listing siddhis would be just the opposite of that.

...as it is much more the case with even making the claim of having "siddhis". I don't see why elaborating this claim would make the difference. The claim in itself is the self-definition and comparison.

Very strange, so you do exactly the contrary of what you are preaching without even noticing the obvious.

So: Yes, your fears of being controlled by forces of your subconsciousness seem validated by this behaviour.

I already explained why "masters" who claim to have powers and don't prove them don't have them and make these claims only to control others. You add another dimension to this circumstance: They maybe believe it themselves and don't want to be proven wrong so they can sustain their self-delusion. The belief of their followers even sustains their own belief and a strong subconscious need to feel special inhibits to become aware of the obvious: Their claim stands on feet of clay.

In your case, when I analyze the behavior that you showed especially in your last two posts (assumed you did set a snare for me, as TheSongsofDistantEarth suggested so very insightful :rolleyes: ), it seems your subconsciousness aims with your delusion more on yourself than on others...the purpose is also much more subtle: By claiming to have "siddhis" but then refusing to give more clues to others you not only avoid any risk that someone proves your belief wrong and redeems you from your illusion, but by even denying others to participate in your "specialty" in the slightest you can keep all your specialty to yourself! Because this is what sets you above others.

I hope the fact that I asked further and so gave you the opportunity to deny me to "take part" in your "specialty" gave you at least the expected feeling of satisfaction and advantage. If not, this whole complex is so suppressed in your subconsciousness that the emotion couldn't reach your conscious Ego.

To comment at your description of your way you believe to be going: As also your definition of the term "Ego" shows, you are seeking the process of what C. G. Jung calls "Individuation". I myself looked into this subject intensively a long time ago. I would call the goal of this process rather a psychological one than a spiritual because it centers only your own psyche but that's certainly only a matter of definition. As far as I can evaluate the insights I had in your personality...well, let's say I don't know if you have really a chance to succeed. It seems that you are really coccooned and trapped in many subtle strong strings by your subconscious. You suspect it but are not able to percieve it and so progress is not really possible. You think much about your way and about yourself but are not able of real insights that would enable you to pin the tail on it. I hope for you that you will fall in a catharsis that does for you what you are not able to, so you can start through.

Side effects are NOT inevitable, and roads to awakening are not always paved with chi practices.

Powers are simply the side-effect of the right energy work (and therefore inevitable). Why? Because when you get control over your chi and augment, compact and flow it, you will be able to influence your body and also your environment with it.

1 + 1 = 2 <_<

Powers are inevitable on the energetic path.

Are you really not able to dig that?

BTW, Darin Hamel had an experience of something. I am not ready to classify him as an awakened being.

He was an awakened being. Then he ran out of the juice he had built up for a long time with hard practice.

When you are not enlightened, you are like a dimmed down light bulb. When you are enlightened, you are like a bright burning light bulb. Your upper dantian/sahasradala chakra is powered to the max with chi

For permanent "enlightenment" you have to keep getting juice from somewhere. That's obvious for me, but don't ask me how to keep a massive inflow of outside One-Chi in your system permanently, I don't know.

But I guess the glowing heads of Jesus, Buddha and Co. show the FLOWING THROUGH AND OUT of the Chi off the Sahasradala/Upper Dantian.

Your logic in these instances, Dorian, is facile.

Maybe because the circumstances are obvious...?

...as it is much more the case with even making the claim of having "siddhis". I don't see why elaborating this claim would make the difference. The claim in itself is the self-definition and comparison.

Very strange, so you do exactly the contrary of what you are preaching without even noticing the obvious.

So: Yes, your fears of being controlled by forces of your subconsciousness seem validated by this behaviour.

I already explained why "masters" who claim to have powers and don't prove them don't have them and make these claims only to control others. You add another dimension to this circumstance: They maybe believe it themselves and don't want to be proven wrong so they can sustain their self-delusion. The belief of their followers even sustains their own belief and a strong subconscious need to feel special inhibits to become aware of the obvious: Their claim stands on feet of clay.

In your case, when I analyze the behavior that you showed especially in your last two posts (assumed you did set a snare for me, as TheSongsofDistantEarth suggested so very insightful :rolleyes: ), it seems your subconsciousness aims with your delusion more on yourself than on others...the purpose is also much more subtle: By claiming to have "siddhis" but then refusing to give more clues to others you not only avoid any risk that someone proves your belief wrong and redeems you from your illusion, but by even denying others to participate in your "specialty" in the slightest you can keep all your specialty to yourself! Because this is what sets you above others.

I hope the fact that I asked further and so gave you the opportunity to deny me to "take part" in your "specialty" gave you at least the expected feeling of satisfaction and advantage. If not, this whole complex is so suppressed in your subconsciousness that the emotion couldn't reach your conscious Ego.

To comment at your description of your way you believe to be going: As also your definition of the term "Ego" shows, you are seeking the process of what C. G. Jung calls "Individuation". I myself looked into this subject intensively a long time ago. I would call the goal of this process rather a psychological one than a spiritual because it centers only your own psyche but that's certainly only a matter of definition. As far as I can evaluate the insights I had in your personality...well, let's say I don't know if you have really a chance to succeed. It seems that you are really coccooned and trapped in many subtle strong strings by your subconscious. You suspect it but are not able to percieve it and so progress is not really possible. You think much about your way and about yourself but are not able of real insights that would enable you to pin the tail on it. I hope for you that you will fall in a catharsis that does for you what you are not able to, so you can start through.

I should never have mentioned my siddhis; that was my mistake. I rarely talk about them, because what I know about them is not "truth". They are too new, too unscientific, and too unprovable to even try to put into conceptual theory, not to mention to make as a claim.

As for taking me to account for not answering your question, I am a bit flummoxed. After all, I just wrote a several paragraph response to you, on the last page, and you have made no attempt at responding to any of the points within that. For you to play "gotcha" with me, because I have not responded to you exactly in the way you wanted, is hypocritical in the least.

As for the rest of your post, I will not bother addressing your wild and unfounded projections. What deep insight you must think you have, to get all of that information about me, from "my behavior in the last two posts".

Best of luck to you,

otis

Edited by Otis
  • Like 1

I should never have mentioned my siddhis; that was my mistake. I rarely talk about them, because what I know about them is not "truth". They are too new, too unscientific, and too unprovable to even try to put into conceptual theory, not to mention to make as a claim.

As for taking me to account for not answering your question, I am a bit flummoxed. After all, I just wrote a several paragraph response to you, on the last page, and you have made no attempt at responding to any of the points within that. For you to play "gotcha" with me, because I have not responded to you exactly in the way you wanted, is hypocritical in the least.

As for the rest of your post, I will not bother addressing your wild and unfounded projections. What deep insight you must think you have, to get all of that information about me, from "my behavior in the last two posts".

Best of luck to you,

otis

Best of luck to you too.

The whole system of life in this world is specifically engineered to deny and discourage the existence of siddhis. Even mainstream buddhism calls for the lack of emphasis on siddhis yet there are terms like mahasiddhas floating around.

There are many dimensions of realities besides our own and one of the prime objectives of any true path of spirituality is to fully communicate and interact with other-world dimensions. Also any true path of spirituality is to fully develop these siddhi powers for the benefit of mankind.

What's the difference between the desire for siddhis and the desire for material wealth or women? None whatsoever.

Material wealth or siddhis or even a knife can be used for good or bad purposes. But does the fact that material wealth or a knife can be used for bad purposes deter any of us from trying to gain wealth? Does it stop us from using a knife?

We need money to pay our rent. We need a knife to chop up our food. And we NEED siddhis to determine which politicians are lying to us and which spirits of evil are negatively affecting our lives so that we can have a better life.

So what's wrong with hankering after siddhis now? If siddhis can corrupt your ego, then I say material wealth or women or even a knife can corrupt your ego as well.

• Like 1

The whole system of life in this world is specifically engineered to deny and discourage the existence of siddhis. Even mainstream buddhism calls for the lack of emphasis on siddhis yet there are terms like mahasiddhas floating around.

There are many dimensions of realities besides our own and one of the prime objectives of any true path of spirituality is to fully communicate and interact with other-world dimensions. Also any true path of spirituality is to fully develop these siddhi powers for the benefit of mankind.

What's the difference between the desire for siddhis and the desire for material wealth or women? None whatsoever.

Material wealth or siddhis or even a knife can be used for good or bad purposes. But does the fact that material wealth or a knife can be used for bad purposes deter any of us from trying to gain wealth? Does it stop us from using a knife?

We need money to pay our rent. We need a knife to chop up our food. And we NEED siddhis to determine which politicians are lying to us and which spirits of evil are negatively affecting our lives so that we can have a better life.

So what's wrong with hankering after siddhis now? If siddhis can corrupt your ego, then I say material wealth or women or even a knife can corrupt your ego as well.

I concede to everything you say. I guess they all were told "siddhis are bad" and so they believe it forever. Not much free thinking for themselves. They simply can't think these things through because their minds are imprisoned.

But: People here on this board should think sbout the fact that threads about SEX and JOHN CHANG (who is basicly a normal guy with superpowers and far from being "enlightened") get BY FAR the most views and replies (in the shortest time). I have often laughed about that. Nobody can deny that fact (well, surely many can and will do that anyways :rolleyes: ). That shows in what you are really interested, no matter how resolute you deny it to yourself and others!

Something doesn't disappear because you block it out...it just gains more secret power over you. So the fear of many guys to become corrupted when gaining power is well-grounded. But they will not become corrupted; they already are. They only suppress it. They would show their true faces then and nothing else. :lol: They would no more persuit "enlightenment" but become addicted to profane pleasures and egomania and lose themselves and their way forever!

Yeah kids, you were right, it's really better to stay away from the matches, in fact you will definitely only burn yourselves. Don't play with fire when you are not able to handle it! :P

Edited by Dorian Black
  • Like 1

I concede to everything you say. I guess they all were told "siddhis are bad" and so they believe it forever. Not much free thinking for themselves. They simply can't think these things through because their minds are imprisoned.

But: People here on this board should think sbout the fact that threads about SEX and JOHN CHANG (who is basicly a normal guy with superpowers and far from being "enlightened") get BY FAR the most views and replies (in the shortest time). Nobody can deny that fact (well, surely many can and will do that anyways :rolleyes: ). That shows in what you are really interested, no matter how resolute deny it to yourself and others!

Something doesn't disappear because you block it out...it just gains more secret power over you. So the fear of many guys to become corrupted when gaining power is well-grounded. But they will not become corrupted; they already are. They only suppress it. They will show their true faces then and nothing else. :lol:

btw, how do you search the forum for the most popular threads?

The search function requires you to input key words. But how do you know sex and john chang are the most popular threads if you do not know what key words to input?

btw, how do you search the forum for the most popular threads?

The search function requires you to input key words. But how do you know sex and john chang are the most popular threads if you do not know what key words to input?

Well, I don't need to search the threads. I'm nearly everyday watching this forum for years now (not always logged in). So I saw and see it happen for many times in real time. It's always funny how fast the replies accumulate and how long these threads stay permanently under the top three. The views skyrock even faster. So, people should think about that...what it tells them about themselves.

Ah, I forgot to mention: And after several weeks, the interest ceases suddenly within several days or so, the mania is over until next time and the thread vanishes into oblivion.

Edited by Dorian Black
  • Like 1

But: People here on this board should think sbout the fact that threads about SEX and JOHN CHANG (who is basicly a normal guy with superpowers and far from being "enlightened") get BY FAR the most views and replies (in the shortest time). I have often laughed about that. Nobody can deny that fact (well, surely many can and will do that anyways :rolleyes: ). That shows in what you are really interested, no matter how resolute you deny it to yourself and others!

Something doesn't disappear because you block it out...it just gains more secret power over you. So the fear of many guys to become corrupted when gaining power is well-grounded. But they will not become corrupted; they already are. They only suppress it. They would show their true faces then and nothing else. :lol: They would no more persuit "enlightenment" but become addicted to profane pleasures and lose themselves forever!

Yeah kids, you were right, it's really better to stay away from the matches, in fact you will definitely only burn yourselves. Don't play with fire when you are not able to handle it! :P

Let me add one more fact of life here.

The whole damn media and educational and major religious systems all over the world tell us to be loving and kind and to pursue the mundane path of going to college, get married, have kids and die.

When faced with the prospect of siddhis which can heal disease, look into the future to avert disasters and other benefits of the supernatural, the media will just deny, discourage basically do everything to prevent the average person from developing his siddhis.

The young are encouraged to go to college to study science, engineering, business, medicine .. you know the safe boring subjects.. and when a young person says he wanna study the art of siddhis, they say he is mad.. the main religious figures even say the accumulation of siddhis is DANGEROUS???!!!!!

Wtf, you mean one cannot use science to commit sins as well? Look at Albert Einstein. Sure he created some pretty nifty inventions but he created the damn atomic bomb as well.

George Soros.. The average person studies economics, business and accounting to run companies but SOros and Gang and their Lapdogs use their financial skills to bring lots of mom-and-pop shareholders to financial ruin..

Engineering.. Well what can I say? Do you know that the weapons industries is one of the top 5 most profitable industries in the world? This shows what kind of evil engineering can do for you..

Medicine.. The Pharmaceutical industries also belong to the top 5 most profitable industries in the world.. but what they don;t tell you is the plants which pharmaceutical companies extract their chemicals from HAS A SUPERNATURAL HEALING EFFECT which is NOT REVEALED TO THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA! Worst of all, they come up with FAKE DISEASES and murdered hundreds and thousands of innocent victims in the name of profit!

So how is Siddhis dangerous in comparison to the subjects studied at school?

If you have Siddhis, you will have the ability to heal you and your loved ones at very little cost to yourself!

If you have Siddhis, you will get advanced warning of when some rich billionaire and gang is gonna use their ill-gained finances to wreck companies and countries in the name of profit.

If you have Siddhis, you will learn about the nature of karma and that will prevent you from joining weapons companies which create tools of destruction in the name of profit.

I think Siddhis will help the average person much more than a few decades of mundane life experiences and mundane knowledge.

• Like 1

I don't think we will ever convince each other :)

My view is that Siddhis are an attachment, just (as BodyofLight pointed out) like women and money. (Thanks for making that point for me). Until one is unattached to anything, one is not free.

Because Siddhi threads are popular means only that siddhis are fascinating for many people and sexy. They are the Sirens which one must get past by lashing oneself to the mast until their lure is past. Siddhis may or may not occur on the spiritual path...so what? If you pay attention to them you can become attched to them.

You guys make some huge assumptions. Siddhis can be lost once gained. Tiger Woods lost his golf siddhis. Then what? Are you unenlightened? I think siddhi-seekers are strongly attached to power (thats what siddhis are), and this reinforces the ego. Lets then skip to the essential point of our discussion:

What is the role of the ego in awakening?

I believe that one must 'become as nothing' in order to reach awakening...where the 'little self' becomes a mere artifact of reaching the bigger Self. The taobums forum is heavily weighed with Siddhi seekers, not enlightenment seekers.I realize that there are many who are much too attached to their pursuit of powers that it will take several more lifetimes to get beyond this attachment. It is attachment that causes suffering. You are back where you have started from.

• Like 2

From what I understand you are less likely to ever get siddhis if you aim for them in your practice, because aiming for siddhis is an egotistical aim while to get them you need to shed your ego contractions so your fundamental aim is a blockage to your practice.

• Like 3

From what I understand you are less likely to ever get siddhis if you aim for them in your practice, because aiming for siddhis is an egotistical aim while to get them you need to shed your ego contractions so your fundamental aim is a blockage to your practice.

Right on, well put.

The real accomplishment is to be able to not get angry, to always be patient & compassionate.

This is wonderful, I think.

• Like 1