TheJourney

True Self

You lost me with that one. Went right over my head.

Don't worry, I've got your back.

...or worse?

Hehehe. We Taoists are told that we should be cautious, like walking on thin ice.

Or was that like fearing your neighbors on all sides? (I really don't like that word "fear". I will re-write that question.)

Or was that like being unsure of your neighbors on all sides?

What does this have to do with my 'true self'? Well, my true self tells me that I should live cautiously so that I might live to my fullest potential.

Edited by Marblehead

A decent try Penny :), but as you will probably find out, there is seldom a level playing field around here.

Hey, I have the water in my fish pond to test against to ensure everything is on the level.

Hi guys,

I studied Madhymakia for a while, and maybe I can clear up a few things if I can remember it.

If there was a permanent unchanging "something", like God, Brahman etc., it would not be able to interact with this universe, because this universe is dependently originated. The two natures would be incompatible. Utterly incompatible.

Secondly, if there was a permanent Self all of us would commit suicide because death would not matter.

Hehehe. We Taoists are told that we should be cautious, like walking on thin ice.

Or was that like fearing your neighbors on all sides? (I really don't like that word "fear". I will re-write that question.)

Or was that like being unsure of your neighbors on all sides?

What does this have to do with my 'true self'? Well, my true self tells me that I should live cautiously so that I might live to my fullest potential.

a rhino ... or something like that, hehehe http://wayist.org/ttc%20compared/chap50.htm

Hi guys,

I studied Madhymakia for a while, and maybe I can clear up a few things if I can remember it.

If there was a permanent unchanging "something", like God, Brahman etc., it would not be able to interact with this universe, because this universe is dependently originated. The two natures would be incompatible. Utterly incompatible.

Secondly, if there was a permanent Self all of us would commit suicide because death would not matter.

Nope, there is no disconnect ime. For instance: (and in my interpretation which may not work for others) In the 8 jhanas to the "beyond" of the 8th there are no disconnects, yet the "beyond" is not dependent upon those 8 for if it was then a complete end to suffering would not be possible; btw counter to some interpretations I'd say a complete end to suffering takes more than just insight. (for where do insights take place if not in consciousness, the finest of aggregates?)

Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti Om

Edited by 3bob

Yeah, we gotta' watch out for the tigers too.

(I'm going to have to go back and read that link later when my rockabilly music in't playing.)

do you know your web cam was left on and we caught ya dancing... post-51155-129476647617_thumb.jpg

;)

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:

he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul:

he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

for thou art with me;

thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:

thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

- psalm 23

I try to avoid using buddhist technical terms too much. When I read people talk about this stuff, I can't help but think they're just repeating what they've heard and have no idea what they're saying, cuz they just keep using the same words. I try to EXPLAIN my ideas, rather than use words that have previously been used to describe them.

I try to avoid using buddhist technical terms too much. When I read people talk about this stuff, I can't help but think they're just repeating what they've heard and have no idea what they're saying, cuz they just keep using the same words. I try to EXPLAIN my ideas, rather than use words that have previously been used to describe them.

The concept of Non-Self is highly misunderstood, even by so-called Buddhists. That which is called the "True Self" by Hindus is not the same as the Non-Self of the Buddhists. Infact, the Non-Self of Buddhism is called the "Jiva" by the Hindus. The Hindu True Self is transcendence of Duality...the Non-Self (relative Self) is a dualistic identity.

Round {N} can now start...

do you know your web cam was left on and we caught ya dancing...

I never have smoked cigars. It would be hard for me to deny any of the other stuff. Hehehe.

The Hindu True Self is transcendence of Duality...the Non-Self (relative Self) is a dualistic identity.

I actually like that in a kinky kind of way. Hehehe. (My words would be so much different though.)

I never have smoked cigars. It would be hard for me to deny any of the other stuff. Hehehe.

with photoshop who can tell?

The concept of Non-Self is highly misunderstood, even by so-called Buddhists. That which is called the "True Self" by Hindus is not the same as the Non-Self of the Buddhists. Infact, the Non-Self of Buddhism is called the "Jiva" by the Hindus. The Hindu True Self is transcendence of Duality...the Non-Self (relative Self) is a dualistic identity.

Round {N} can now start...

ut oh... could be confusing when considering the "Hindu" related schools and sayings of, "Jiva is Siva"?

Om

Edited by 3bob

But you would still be able to distinguish my true self though, wouldn't you?

hehehe :PB)