strawdog65

What will be the future earth society?

from: http://www.theresourcebasedeconomy.com/2010/12/you-never-really-own-anything/

This a great eye opener! Please enjoy!

=================================

You never really own anything

28 Dec 2010 at 21:06

Ownership.

Property.

This is mine.

This is yours.

Do you think you own anything?

You don’t.

Ownership is an illusion.

So is property.

Why?

Because all the things you use are only used by you temporarily before they are passed on or thrown away.

Be it food, clothing, cars, property, furniture, cell phones, air, water.

You never say to anyone ‘Don’t breath here! This air is mine!’.

Of course not. Air is still free, and no one claims to own it.

Water is also in a large degree free, but is becoming more and more privatized.

Food, clothing, cars and land has become utterly privatized.

Still. You don’t, and never will own anything of it.

You use it.

You don’t own it.

At best, all you can say about ownership is that ‘this is in my possession now and as long as I am using it’.

That is the most ‘ownership’ there is. Everything that you ‘own’ is only ‘yours’ temporarily.

It is only borrowed or rented.

Your food goes into you and comes out again.

So does the water. Even your body is on loan.

When you die it goes back into the circulation.

Ownership is an illusion.

Still, it’s an illusion bought by humanity.

But it is no more than an agreement that say’s that ‘ok, we will have a system here that gives

some the right to claim vast resources of the planet for themselves, while others get nothing’.

There’s no ownership in nature. There’s only coexistence, with every part fulfilling their task, and every part being fulfilled in doing so. In a moneyless society and resource based economy this is how we will look at ownership, since this is the only ‘ownership’ there is and ever will be. Having a paper that say’s you own something doesn’t make it more ‘yours’ in the big scheme of things. Whatever you ‘own’ can be lost in the blink of an eye.

Today ownership is almost equal to accessibility. The more you own, the more access you have to things in life. The more land you own, the more cars you own, the more houses you own, etc. The problem is that you are only one person and cannot possibly make 100% use of all the things you own. Even if you only own one car and a guitar. You will never be able to use whatever you own all the time.

If, however, you didn’t own anything, but had access to virtually everything this planet and humanity can offer, you would ‘own’ more than the richest people on this planet will ever own. I’ll say this again, because this is the most important thing there is to grasp when it comes to concept of non-ownership:

If you didn’t own anything, but had access to virtually everything this planet, and humanity, can offer, you would own more than the richest people on this planet will ever own. The whole planet would be yours to use. Of course, this means that all borders and visas would have to go too.

In a resource based economy everyone will have access to virtually everything on this planet. Today we think that if this was the case, everyone would rush to the same places and go for the same things, because that is what is seemingly happening today. ‘Everyone’ seem to run after the same things. And sometimes, yes, some things are more popular than others. But we must remember that a lot of this is due to advertising and promotion seeking a certain behavior among the population fulfilling the profit motive of the capitalistic system.

One example of a moneyless system in today’s society is the library. Sometimes you have to wait for books to come back, yes, but more than often the books you want to borrow are there for you. If the whole world was like the library, you might have to wait a while going to a certain beach or holiday resort if it was full for the time being. But, there would be lot’s and lot’s of other places to visit in the mean time, just like there would be lot’s of other interesting books to read while you were waiting for the one you wanted. Maybe you’d find other, even more interesting books to read, and places to visit, in the mean time.

The idea of ownership builds on the notion of scarcity. The thought that there is not enough of places and books for every one of us. Therefore, it is best to hoard as much as we can while we can. If we don’t, we risk being without, not having access and having to live a poor life.

Not owning anything could be the best experience humanity has ever had. It would result in the most abundant lifestyle anyone on this planet could ever dream of. Not owning anything is a notion built on the opposite of scarcity. It is a thought that when we share, everyone will have many times more than what we would ever have if we were to own everything we wanted. This includes the richest of the richest people on this planet. No one, I repeat, n o o n e, can own the whole planet. Even though someone certainly tries to do just that, it will never happen. In any case no one would ever be able to use the whole planet for themselves only. You can’t swim on all the seas, climb all the mountains or eat all the food.

Some people try to own as much as possible, thinking this will bring the best lifestyle for them, not realizing that sharing will bring more to everyone, even them. Of course, we can not all have our own private jet or private beach. But we would have access to more jet’s and beaches than we could ever use in a world with no ownership.

So, since we don’t own anything anyway, since ownership is nothing more than an illusion bringing lack to the world, why not simply abandon it. Of course, this is not something that is done over night. Many people are ready for it, even rich people. But just as many people are afraid of it and far from ready. For it to happen this thought has to manifest itself throughout the population and take root. Humanity have to break free from the thought of money, property and ownership and open it’s eyes to the new virtually unlimited possibilities a moneyless society and a resource based economy can offer.

Edited by strawdog65

I gotta keep remembering what we're dealing with here... :lol:

:lol: you're still holding on to that grain of salt? you do realize that was a huge upper bound number off the top of my head (that was of course also assuming all of these great technological leaps,) yes? (Consider the population density of new york, hong kong, tokyo...if extrapolated linearly it would amount to a larger number than I postulated!)

Because ... seemingly, change will only occur when we are faced with

world-wide calamity, and destruction, or at least that is the consensus,

is there another way to achieve change?

How would the world civilization effect change in a peaceful,

orderly fashion?

Is it even possible?

I think our history clearly shows that only upheaval brings change.

But even so, what other ways can be thought of that have equal

merit, even if the chances are slim?

I propose that there is another answer. I propose that the Internet

will be the harbinger of great changes to world civilization.

Changes that we are only at the very most beginnings of now.

The internet has the ability to affect great world-wide change. It is a

consciousness altering tool when used correctly. The effect it has is the

ability to create a massive ground swell, like a huge wave on the

ocean, unable to be seen until it reaches that distant shore,

that is the ability that resides within our fingers reach.

The future of civilization is perhaps being created by our thoughts,

shared through this still primitive thing we call the internet.

As the connections grow, as the massive amount of computing

power multiplies with every passing year, so too does this great

sleeping colossus we call the internet. When perchance will a

machine intelligence reach sentience?

I think the most likely candidate is right with reach,

it's just happening so slowly we can't see it.

One day we may all wake to a future decided not by us,

but decided for us by a machine intelligence that truly

encompasses the entire world.

My only concern is, will the machine intelligence when reaching

sentience, still respect it's creators? Or will the sentient internet

of the future see us as a parasitic organism and eliminate us?

Our future is approaching, have we been good parents

to our prodigal creation?

Lets hope so.

Building designs by Alexander Remizov

These are just released new designs for self contained buildings.

Able to house 10,000 people at one time, able to withstand

hurricane force winds, and can be placed on both dry land and

on the ocean.

These buildings are meant to be easy to construct and use

some recycled components.

Is this an Idea for the future earth society?

Comments and suggestions?

Peace!

post-55825-129475828408_thumb.jpg

post-55825-129475831202_thumb.jpg

post-55825-129475834028_thumb.jpg

post-55825-129475840597_thumb.jpg

post-55825-129475850311_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone!

So... Anyone have any thoughts on a resource based economy?

Or a world in which the Taoist wisdom of knowing when enough is

enough, is the answer to the problem of world strife?

The world we live in, is the world we have created, like it or not.

There are many people who spend great effort in expending their

energy in complaining about the state of this world... unfortunately

complaining is not of much use. Spreading awareness of what is

possible and creating something of inspiration is.

A change in our reality begins with ourselves, and spreads to those

in our lives and outwards. If we are the stone thrown into the still

waters of the pond, we matter not. It is the ripples of change we

create that are the harbingers of the future world.

You and I and all those we influence in our lives,

we are the bringers of change.

Peace!

I am curious what everyone's thoughts are of the Singularity concept.

Do you think it will happen?

Do you think it will signal the end of mankind?

Do you think it's impossible and stupid?

Would really like some feedback on this.

Peace!

Hi. From the quote you posted "is a point where our old models must be discarded and a new reality rules."

It wasn't mentioned why this should be the case, just that it "is". And I wonder about that. Unless someone can explain coherently why this should be ushered in then I'm unable to comment further. However, I am aware that this line of thinking is something being actively promoted in a variety of arenas and I personally don't "dig it".

Hi. From the quote you posted "is a point where our old models must be discarded and a new reality rules."

It wasn't mentioned why this should be the case, just that it "is". And I wonder about that. Unless someone can explain coherently why this should be ushered in then I'm unable to comment further. However, I am aware that this line of thinking is something being actively promoted in a variety of arenas and I personally don't "dig it".

Hi Kate!

In the quote you are mentioning, it concerns the Idea of the Singularity.

It really is not about ushering it in, the Singularity (if it happens) will be an

event that no person in the world will be able to prevent. It will be the next

quantum leap in Human/Artificial Intelligence combining.

Unless we stop our advancement in technology there is no foreseeable way

to prevent the merging of Human consciousness with Artificial Intelligence

systems. We are already seeing the precursors of what will be. The fact that we

as a civilization are merging with our little technological wonders, and in fact

are striving to always be "connected" through our technology is just a taste of

what awaits us in the next 30 years. There are many people who would not flinch

to have their gadgets permanently attached to themselves if it was something

possible right now. And soon it will be.

Imagine if rather than carrying a cell phone you had an implant that did all the

same things and more, like having the best computer system inside of you that

all you would need to do to access it is thought. The display would be connected to

your eyesight, and would appear as a heads up display in front of you, you would

be able to go about your day to day business and never be separated from the

internet and always be "on". The natural progression will be to not have things to

carry so we can access information, it will be the accessing of the information

directly with the use of our cybernetically enhanced bodies and minds.

So as far as anybody ushering this in... I think you can blame anyone that uses

a cell phone and uses the internet. We all are ushering this in by our insatiable

appetite for technology, information, and the desire for having these things be

as fast as possible. We are running towards the Singularity and don't even see it.

Hi Kate!

In the quote you are mentioning, it concerns the Idea of the Singularity.

It really is not about ushering it in, the Singularity (if it happens) will be an

event that no person in the world will be able to prevent. It will be the next

quantum leap in Human/Artificial Intelligence combining.

Unless we stop our advancement in technology there is no foreseeable way

to prevent the merging of Human consciousness with Artificial Intelligence

systems. We are already seeing the precursors of what will be. The fact that we

as a civilization are merging with our little technological wonders, and in fact

are striving to always be "connected" through our technology is just a taste of

what awaits us in the next 30 years. There are many people who would not flinch

to have their gadgets permanently attached to themselves if it was something

possible right now. And soon it will be.

Imagine if rather than carrying a cell phone you had an implant that did all the

same things and more, like having the best computer system inside of you that

all you would need to do to access it is thought. The display would be connected to

your eyesight, and would appear as a heads up display in front of you, you would

be able to go about your day to day business and never be separated from the

internet and always be "on". The natural progression will be to not have things to

carry so we can access information, it will be the accessing of the information

directly with the use of our cybernetically enhanced bodies and minds.

So as far as anybody ushering this in... I think you can blame anyone that uses

a cell phone and uses the internet. We all are ushering this in by our insatiable

appetite for technology, information, and the desire for having these things be

as fast as possible. We are running towards the Singularity and don't even see it.

Oh, I can see it from here. I think it's disingenuous to blame "anyone that uses a cell phone and uses the internet" because in both of those contexts the use is relatively voluntary. I say "relatively" because in many situations, the web is the only point of access for people to take a certain action to achieve something they either want or need to do. Chipping someone who hasn't asked for it is, well, involuntary. Big no-no in my book. :)

Personally, I don't care two bits (pun intended) if I get my misinformation faster or slower.

Oh, I can see it from here. I think it's disingenuous to blame "anyone that uses a cell phone and uses the internet" because in both of those contexts the use is relatively voluntary. I say "relatively" because in many situations, the web is the only point of access for people to take a certain action to achieve something they either want or need to do. Chipping someone who hasn't asked for it is, well, involuntary. Big no-no in my book. :)

Personally, I don't care two bits (pun intended) if I get my misinformation faster or slower.

Hi Kate!

A lot of people are in the same boat, we use these things because we have a need to and

we do so voluntarily.

But just like the tide, we all get swept away by the changes that take place.

Whether we like it, agree with it, or wish it to be different, the future will be

more of what we see now, our lives evermore inundated with technology. Life,

and work will only come to rely more on technology and all it's associated gadgets.

For the average person who thinks little of the loss of their biologic Humanity,

it will just seem natural because everyone else is doing it, and we do have to keep up

with the Jones'es don't we? :ninja:

Of course there probably will be a group/groups of people who wish to remain

unaugmented and fully biological, but they will be the minority.

The line between technology and natural biological ability will become very

blurred when the advantages of being augmented influence the survival of

our civilization.

"We do have to keep up

with the Jones'es don't we? :ninja: "

Um, no. :lol:

I don't believe it has to be an "adhere or die out" kind of deal (which is a bit too Faustian for my tastes).

I also don't believe it's very intelligent to write "the future" based on current desires and technological "advances". It's the illusion of linearity in "progress" that IMO got us into similar messes in the past and present.

I was going to add a provocative pic of a fat gamer kid to ironize about the great idea of technologically enhanced "biological ability" but stopped short because it's too damn sad, IMO.

"We do have to keep up

with the Jones'es don't we? :ninja: "

Um, no. :lol:

I don't believe it has to be an "adhere or die out" kind of deal (which is a bit too Faustian for my tastes).

I also don't believe it's very intelligent to write "the future" based on current desires and technological "advances". It's the illusion of linearity in "progress" that IMO got us into similar messes in the past and present.

I was going to add a provocative pic of a fat gamer kid to ironize about the great idea of technologically enhanced "biological ability" but stopped short because it's too damn sad, IMO.

I was using a bit of sarcasm in that about the Jones'es... :wacko:

And it's exactly the non-linear aspect of what's happening to

technology and advancement that will bring forth a Singularity

type of situation.

Kate, do you believe there will be a time when Artificial Intelligence

becomes sentient?

The internet I think will become the first sentient artificial

intelligence. When sentience becomes a reality, how will this new

prodigal child think of it's less then perfect parents?

I ask because there are many people that believe it will never happen,

and that is based on a mistaken belief that we as a species can prevent

it from happening. What can happen, inevitably and with enough time,

will happen. It is the speed at which we plow forward that will assure

that the future will be uncontrollable by us.

Thoughts?

As Utopian as it may sound, machines replacing human livelihood in more menial tasks would allow us the choice in what we want to do rather then have to do. It could mean we don't have work in boring ape like jobs anymore but be more focused on family, teaching, research, meditation, science, learning, exploration etc. Of course, if all menial jobs are replaced with machines and people no longer have jobs there, then it would a totally different world order and the need for money could become obsolete. Consider this: If you no longer had to work in your labouring job, no longer had to pay for food, shelter, medicine etc: what would you rather be doing?

It's true people can fall into the trap of total dependence on techno augmentation, but the mistake perhaps needs to be experienced and addressed so perhaps the more sheepish people can experience for themselves the limits of such reality.

As creepy as it sounds, there is some study into silicon crystal being sentient!

TF

Yep, been thinking about this one.

I'd say it would once and for all solve the conundrum of mind/body/soul/spirit.

But I don't see what the point would be, from the perspective of consciousness itself, having a bunch of plugged in people that have lost all sensuality. Oh wait, I recall that the "singularity" is essentially being promoted by geeks that aren't getting any action because they've atrophied all social skills in favour of the "info-hit" - the surge of dopamine that smacks their immature brains everytime they get to see "what they did" appear immediately onscreen.

Anyway, digression aside, to get there, you have to get people to accept it willingly. I.e. out of their own free will. Otherwise, it's violation of basic cosmic game rules :D Of course you can "stack" the deck and tell people it's "inevitable" or "for the good of the species" or "the good of the planet" or other such nonsense (like being able to "control" games with your brain...or get food stamps or credit if you live in India, or stop "global warming" by buying "carbon credits" hahahahaha)

Oh wait, we already have "techno-samadhi" and binaurals with "cocaine" signatures...

That'll do it. Still, it's a dodgy one on the "free-will" side. Violate that one my friends and the game is up :ninja:

Yep, been thinking about this one.

I'd say it would once and for all solve the conundrum of mind/body/soul/spirit.

But I don't see what the point would be, from the perspective of consciousness itself, having a bunch of plugged in people that have lost all sensuality. Oh wait, I recall that the "singularity" is essentially being promoted by geeks that aren't getting any action because they've atrophied all social skills in favour of the "info-hit" - the surge of dopamine that smacks their immature brains everytime they get to see "what they did" appear immediately onscreen.

Anyway, digression aside, to get there, you have to get people to accept it willingly. I.e. out of their own free will. Otherwise, it's violation of basic cosmic game rules :D Of course you can "stack" the deck and tell people it's "inevitable" or "for the good of the species" or "the good of the planet" or other such nonsense (like being able to "control" games with your brain...or get food stamps or credit if you live in India, or stop "global warming" by buying "carbon credits" hahahahaha)

Oh wait, we already have "techno-samadhi" and binaurals with "cocaine" signatures...

That'll do it. Still, it's a dodgy one on the "free-will" side. Violate that one my friends and the game is up :ninja:

Kate,

That begs the question of what is free will? If nothing more than whatever we desire?

Free will is having the ability to have your desires met.

Free will is having choices to be whatever you see yourself as.

Free will is not much of a true reality in our present society.

The very Idea of having "real" free will is like saying you may do whatever you please.

Neither one is a part of the nature of our reality.

We live in a reality that is ordered and quantified.

Free will is the same as freedom.... manufactured nonsense for those gullible enough

to believe it. Just because we live in a big cage and can not easily define the boundaries

of that cage, we nonetheless still live in a cage. There is no such thing as real freedom.

there is no such thing as real free will. One is controlled by the rules set forth by the

society you live in, and the latter is nothing more than our desires with a new name.

The world is full of sheep, they will blindly follow where they are led, the desire for

having what others have is all that's necessary.

Look at the cell phone craze.

Everyone is comparing phones and how theirs is better than that one, ect...

When the first items start coming out that attach to us or our clothing, integrated

technology, we are on our way. We live in a world of consumers, once it's made

they will buy it.

It's not about "forcing " anyone. People will willingly do it to themselves.

It will be the ability to have everything that we now have separate from ourselves,

be integrated within ourselves.

I don't believe any amount of fear of it, will deter it from occurring.

As Utopian as it may sound, machines replacing human livelihood in more menial tasks would allow us the choice in what we want to do rather then have to do. It could mean we don't have work in boring ape like jobs anymore but be more focused on family, teaching, research, meditation, science, learning, exploration etc. Of course, if all menial jobs are replaced with machines and people no longer have jobs there, then it would a totally different world order and the need for money could become obsolete. Consider this: If you no longer had to work in your labouring job, no longer had to pay for food, shelter, medicine etc: what would you rather be doing?

It's true people can fall into the trap of total dependence on techno augmentation, but the mistake perhaps needs to be experienced and addressed so perhaps the more sheepish people can experience for themselves the limits of such reality.

As creepy as it sounds, there is some study into silicon crystal being sentient!

TF

Hi TF!

You are seeing it the way i am. In a sensical mode it is obvious.

The value of Human life would be re-established by the

contributions we could make to our society through

the creative aspects that are part of what it is to be Human.

I am not sure why there are people afraid of what is being

proposed in the ideas set forth with the Venus project.

It all seems to be of benefit to the world and mankind.

Maybe it's the idea of giving up our stuff.

Sharing is a difficult concept to those that enjoy a good

life based on the inequity of those less fortunate.

Peace!

Kate,

That begs the question of what is free will? If nothing more than whatever we desire?

Free will is having the ability to have your desires met.

Free will is having choices to be whatever you see yourself as.

Free will is not much of a true reality in our present society.

The very Idea of having "real" free will is like saying you may do whatever you please.

Neither one is a part of the nature of our reality.

We live in a reality that is ordered and quantified.

Free will is the same as freedom.... manufactured nonsense for those gullible enough

to believe it. Just because we live in a big cage and can not easily define the boundaries

of that cage, we nonetheless still live in a cage. There is no such thing as real freedom.

there is no such thing as real free will. One is controlled by the rules set forth by the

society you live in, and the latter is nothing more than our desires with a new name.

The world is full of sheep, they will blindly follow where they are led, the desire for

having what others have is all that's necessary.

Look at the cell phone craze.

Everyone is comparing phones and how theirs is better than that one, ect...

When the first items start coming out that attach to us or our clothing, integrated

technology, we are on our way. We live in a world of consumers, once it's made

they will buy it.

It's not about "forcing " anyone. People will willingly do it to themselves.

It will be the ability to have everything that we now have separate from ourselves,

be integrated within ourselves.

I don't believe any amount of fear of it, will deter it from occurring.

"The very Idea of having "real" free will is like saying you may do whatever you please.

Neither one is a part of the nature of our reality."

Oh, well, if you're sure. I think we've probably had this discussion before, Taoists tend to be pretty radical about it. I may do as I please to avoid "the singularity" and "it" may do as it pleases to attempt to get me to accept it of my own volition (that could go all the way down to heavy coercion and torture BTW, not just a neat fashion statement or keeping up with Joneses).

We can get to "our reality" in another post. It's blatantly not "ours" unless both of us accept it as such.

But hey, if in your reality there's no free will whatsoever and everything is ultimately determined and all the people are sheep (are you including yourself?) in your world, then yes, it's possible your reality is one in which "the singularity" will come along and getcha. But the damnedest (sp?) question, is why did you decide it that way?