LaoTzu21

confidence + arrogance + ego

am i right to think that ego causes problems between communication?

It does and will if you have an inflated ego, that is, you think and act as if you are better than others or if you think you have more value than is reasonable.

But ego allow us to identify ourself from others. We each are unique and special. This is what our ego protects, our individuality. Yes, we are all of the same source. But all apples are not created equal and neither are humans.

there is also something else that un nerves me is that everyone has there own idea of what is right and what is wrong and there own values of the truth. how does one know what the universal truth is without the conflict of other peoples perceptions?

Yes, unless I am quoting someone everything I say on this forum is my opinion or understanding based on my experiences of the past. We each have had different life experiences therefore it should be understood that we are going to have different opinions and understandings.

The only way you will find your 'truths' is to ask your 'questions'. When you find an answer that 'feels' right then you have found your truth. But don't allow yourself to be deluded or to begin accumulating a bunch of illusions and unsupported 'truths'. There are a lot of people out there who will sell you all the snake oil you have the money to buy.

Regardless of what 'truths' you accept you will not be in total agreement with most other people. There are just too many 'truths' in the minds of man. Find your own truths but remain open-minded enough to listen to others opinions and understandings. But this doesn't mean that you should accept everything others say what your truths should be. That is your decision, and only your decision.

But along the way you should try to not be offensive and intolerant of others beliefs.

Best Wishes.

Peace & Love!

"This is what our ego protects, our individuality."

Um...

Even that individuality that ensures we chase after every opportunity to affirm itself? (This message of course is nooooo illustration of that :lol:)

Even that individuality that ensures that one's life may be perpetually restricted to "below average conditions"?

Even that indivduality that has one searching all over for a god or our next boyfriend or girlfriend to bring us happiness?

Even that indivduality that will cause self and others bodily harm in an attempt to validate itself?

Ok, you get my drift ;)

The whole person doesn't need to protect any identity because they just ARE.

Ego IMO (and small experience) allows for the sharing of "truths" but it's a convention and not something set in stone. We keep forgetting.

Because the world moves fast/always changing. I don't believe I can rely on an "identity" that was fashioned in very different circumstances. So there's still the question of "original self" left. And I still don't know the answer to that question, assuming there IS one underneath the fluff. :ph34r:

Guest paul walter

i get the impression you like to troll

That's rather ironic cause I get the impression you are a troll :lol:-and a troll with no self-perception what's more (so why did I bother to write this in the first place at you? :rolleyes: ). Ah, kids and their lives these days...

I'm actually rather helpful but those who ask for help seem to be only interested in building straw men it seems these days in order to get some kind of attention cause Facebook or Twits has gone offline for some reason, who knows, who knows, it's all so mysterious to me :rolleyes: ?

Edited by paul walter

Guest paul walter

Hehehe. I thought this a while back too but I was mistaken. Paul really is trying to help. But he has to do it in his own way and this might be objectionable to some folks.

:lol: Thanks for the words Marble. Yeah, after the first forty years one gets a bit worn out from people avoiding what they both need to obviously do for themselves and in some cases (like with this thread) actually go 'trolling' for advice on the problem at hand :wacko::lol: . I don't do nuthin' those other a-holes Jesus and Chuang wouldn't do to someone in order to awaken them from their precious and delicate slumber (while at the same time driving a Mack truck through their lives and over a cliff) :lol::PB) Paul

Edited by paul walter

Yeah, after the first forty years one gets a bit worn out from people avoiding what they both need to obviously do for themselves and in some cases (like with this thread) actually go 'trolling' for advice on the problem at hand :wacko::lol: . I don't do nuthin' those other a-holes Jesus and Chuang wouldn't do to someone in order to awaken them from their precious and delicate slumber (while at the same time driving a Mack truck through their lives and over a cliff) :lol::PB) Paul

Hehehe. Rather well expressed, I think. (Sometimes a person needs a slap aside the head in order to get their attention before we start speaking to them.)

Peace & Love!

i dont agree. im just asking for guidance and direction and not slander and spitefulness. there's a big difference in help and just looking to pick fights. if you have a problem with me asking for help dont post your negative responses its simple as that. the others seem to be helping with advice and kindness. where as paul is just venting his frustration which helps noone but himself. i appreciate the comments from the others and have taken them on board. paul in future if youve got nothing nice to say don't say it at all. i just don't have a good feeling about you. even if you think you are dishing out your own version of the truth. id rather have it from someone who cares sincerely.

Hi Kate,

Interesting yet complicated post.

"This is what our ego protects, our individuality."

Um...

Even that individuality that ensures we chase after every opportunity to affirm itself? (This message of course is nooooo illustration of that :lol:)

Even that individuality that ensures that one's life may be perpetually restricted to "below average conditions"?

Even that indivduality that has one searching all over for a god or our next boyfriend or girlfriend to bring us happiness?

Even that indivduality that will cause self and others bodily harm in an attempt to validate itself?

Ok, you get my drift ;)

Yes, all the above as well. The ego of these people has control of the people instead of the individual having control of their ego. Ego = "I am". But what we are and what we are to become is always dictated by the ego unless we have proper control of it.

This includes the very passive person as well as the egomaniac.

The whole person doesn't need to protect any identity because they just ARE.

Ego IMO (and small experience) allows for the sharing of "truths" but it's a convention and not something set in stone. We keep forgetting.

Because the world moves fast/always changing. I don't believe I can rely on an "identity" that was fashioned in very different circumstances. So there's still the question of "original self" left. And I still don't know the answer to that question, assuming there IS one underneath the fluff. :ph34r:

I do agree that our ego (self-identy) is dynamic and subject to change at any time and I do agree that we 'just are' once we attain that understanding of ourself so that we can live our life naturally. However, there are many who never attain this understanding out themselves and therefore their ego is asserted in some manner.

I do, however, suggest that we do need protect ourself. There are many people out there who will lead us astray in a heartbeat. And many of those folks do it just because they can. It is a game for them. They will make a person into something they really are not.

And there are those who will use us until we are all used up. Our entire life is consumed by the 'other' and we never had the opportunity to live it ourself.

And I agree the the world, the entire universe is constantly changing. But if we do not have a self identity we will find it impossible to make the changes necessary in order to keep up with the world - we will be left in the dust - no place to go and nothing to do.

Oh, sure, this is just fine for someone like myself. But for a younger person this would likely be the worst condition to be in. No present and no future.

Yeah, that concept of 'original self' is a tricky one because it will be different for each individual. It is my opinion that when we find our 'original self' we will be at peace with our Self and others, and we will be contented with our condition in life. So ego is playing even here in that we are defining "I" with other elements of life.

Peace & Love!

Guest paul walter

i just don't have a good feeling about you. even if you think you are dishing out your own version of the truth. id rather have it from someone who cares sincerely.

Oh I do care sincerely, that's why I have no compunction in trying to break down your walls that imprison you--of course it doesn't work now, but if enough people do it it may help you in the long run? I think it's your 'ego' that doesn't have a good feeling about me (it can be very wary of challenges to its tyranny ;) ) Best, Paul

If I accept you as you are I will make you worse, however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming then I help you become that.

J.W. von Goethe

[quote If I accept you as you are I will make you worse, however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming then I help you become that.

J.W. von Goethe

become something that von goheo wants you to be? and i knew that would be the response you would give me. i just dont trust someone who insults someone for a direction towards progression. instead of beating around the bush and giving critique you could help by just coming out with the information that you have that would be beneficial for me. i think its egotistical to get a laugh on someone elses problems. when you know the answer.

Hi Kate,

Interesting yet complicated post.

- Oh, i thought I was being simple. Thanks!

Yes, all the above as well. The ego of these people has control of the people instead of the individual having control of their ego. Ego = "I am". But what we are and what we are to become is always dictated by the ego unless we have proper control of it.

- Control? What control and who's exerting the control?

This includes the very passive person as well as the egomaniac.

I do agree that our ego (self-identy) is dynamic and subject to change at any time and I do agree that we 'just are' once we attain that understanding of ourself so that we can live our life naturally. However, there are many who never attain this understanding out themselves and therefore their ego is asserted in some manner.

Well, it helps to be able to tell the difference when it is and when it isn't doing that stuff. I reckon it actually physically "squeezes me" when it does this. Or it "holds" - there's a resistance there and when it's there, I know it ain't natural.

I do, however, suggest that we do need protect ourself. There are many people out there who will lead us astray in a heartbeat. And many of those folks do it just because they can. It is a game for them. They will make a person into something they really are not.

Like parents for example :lol::ninja: Nah, I'm half kidding. i think the heart protects a person. As does self awareness, oh and I'll throw in with some critical thinking. (Why are you telling me all this ;)?)

And there are those who will use us until we are all used up. Our entire life is consumed by the 'other' and we never had the opportunity to live it ourself.

I know. But we so often go there willingly. :(

And I agree the the world, the entire universe is constantly changing. But if we do not have a self identity we will find it impossible to make the changes necessary in order to keep up with the world - we will be left in the dust - no place to go and nothing to do.

I dunno, I speculate that the natural self changes with the world, the only "changes" to make are the ones to ensure you live healthy, happy and can do something for others (maybe?)

Oh, sure, this is just fine for someone like myself. But for a younger person this would likely be the worst condition to be in. No present and no future.

But Mr MH, what about "The Power of Now" :rolleyes:? :P You've got entire generations reading that stuff. And don't get me started on "The Secret"

Yeah, that concept of 'original self' is a tricky one because it will be different for each individual. It is my opinion that when we find our 'original self' we will be at peace with our Self and others, and we will be contented with our condition in life. So ego is playing even here in that we are defining "I" with other elements of life.

It's Kipling's crab who plays with the sea! Being "content" does not involve settling for below par conditions.

Peace & Love!

Yey!

We should just agree to disagree on this one. I realize that there are a number of members here who often disagree with me. I don't see that as a problem. I don't need to be right. But I will always express my understanding if I think it might help someone.

Peace & Love!

no sweat Marblehead

this kind of thing is subjective, right up to the point that it isn't

why Marblehead? if I may ask

am i right to think that ego causes problems between communication? there is also something else that un nerves me is that everyone has there own idea of what is right and what is wrong and there own values of the truth. how does one know what the universal truth is without the conflict of other peoples perceptions?

what can one do?

where else to start but to look at ones own thoughts/beliefs/perceptions, how they interact, what function they seem to have,...just look at it for a while

(I will offer one piece of advice. Starting with what you think is you, look at it objectively)

but really, at some point through your own questioning, looking, contemplation, experimentation, you must become your own authority

basically this means throw out all that you have accepted as true and only hold what you have found for yourself

this really is ones life work, it seems to me, and may not ever truely end

in the end it may just be standing in the mystery without creating any distortions, illusions or delusions

Marblehead, I am not going to try and put your statements in quotes and pick on each one, and we certainly disagree, but I find that you are missing something.

The only thing the ego can protect is itself, which is a self-image.

The ego doesn't give a crap about the bodys health, it just wants attention and approval so it might try to use physical attractiveness to get that validation. Something like this can be eating dissorders, steriod use, drug use to loose weight, becoming a "qigong master" to show off your skills and abilities.....all ego, not protecting the organism. This is just one type of example.

The doing by not-doing is more like the egoless doing, the result of being being.

There is intelligence outside the mind, which is the only place the ego exists, if you can really call it that.

I just felt that a few of the things you asserted need to be challenged. I find them to not be true.

I didn't read through the whole thread so please forgive me if this is redundant or been covered....

I have a pet peive. That being the broad use of the term "ego" when refering to "self-image", personality, egotism, unfounded confidence etc. And I do know that is alot of buddhist contexts this is how it can be interpreted. However I do believe a clear distinction of terms is crucial to growth.

Consider that "ego" is the structure of of awareness, the vehicle of expereince. It is the walls of the house that define "inside" from "outside" and all of these other uses like "self-image", conceit etc. are like lamps and tables inside the house. Quite often we label something, or someones actions as "ego" when really what we mean is arrogance.... so IMHO having a clear view of "ego" allows for a clearer view of these other things.... especiall personality.

So what are these walls made of... generally beliefs - but not the store bought beliefs that we can think about but the ubiquitous ones that are so pervasive to awareness that it is, by definition, inconsievable to even reflect upon them. So the beliefs we think about are the tables and lamps - not the walls.

I read a quote a few years back, can't remember where or by who. It was a buddhist writing about humility versus arrogance. It was something along the lines of this:

Arrogance is an effort to keep the world small, so that the self can remain "big" or be felt as "big". Humility is being in awe of the vastness of creation. In this sense humility of the sort which has ourselve keeping our self lower or less signifigant to others is then not real humility but a form of arrogance. Persistant self analysis, by this view, would then too be an act of arrogance because in both cases it takes the objects of th world and attempts to make them the "self" or pertinent to the "self" and this is how the self is kept "large" in relation to the world. By making the stuff of creation about itself and this effort hides the awesomness of creation from our eyes.

People with unfaultering self-esteem - children - believe they can do things which they clearly can not - like say become super-heros.... but we parents clamour around them to protect their "esteem"... but esteem can come out of aquiring skills and becoming accompished at these skills.... so we all learned at one point to walk and I hope by this time we have become quite accomplished at this skill.. so ask yourself how often to you comment to yourself or others how well you can walk, or how better you can walk than others? Not very often I bet.... this relationship to the skill of walking is IMHO what confidence and esteem is. Our trust in our ability to walk is so foundational that it is no longer a matter of self-worth, it does not factor into the lamps and tables of our self definition or world view..... in relation to walking our "ego"(wrong use) is a ease, it is calm and quiet with really nothing to comment on....

However, when we encounter a view, skill, belief that the personality is not entirely confident on (confident like walking) then our "ego" (wrong use) generally gets a bit excited, has a few things to say - or more specifically something to assert... these skills, topics, beliefs that we pick-up over time which we then attach to the "self" (for instance "I am a Qi Gung practitioner", "I am... fill in the blank", "I am no good at kung fu") is actually an act of arrogance. It is to take these elements of creation and make them about the self. In doing so the self is a little bigger and the world a little smaller. And it is JMO from the lack of confidence that propels us to assert these beliefs (table, lamp beliefs) and the more that we have made these table/lamp beliefs about our "self" the stronger they are asserted to the world. And that behaviour is then labeled, arrogant, ego etc. Under the wraps it is actually just the opposite.

Edited by -O-

Consider that "ego" is the structure of of awareness, the vehicle of expereince.

O, you have made an eloquent arguement here, but your definition of ego, I think, takes you off the mark from the beginning.

Where did you come up with this definition of ego?

Your definition seems to require an ego for bare concious existance.

It seems to me that ego requires the identification of the self as separate entity and that it is wholly a product of the thinking mind. Children younger than about 2yrs don't even have the concept of themselves as an identifiable separate self yet. After it forms there is a lot of training and conditioning and learning about how to function in society as this separate self. How to do this well is what most people focus their whole life working on.

Transcending that conditioning is where the spiritual impulse or work or quest or journey comes in.

What am I really without all this junk I have collected on the way? The unwinding, breaking down, or eliminating of the conditioned reflexes and beliefs is the result of this generally.

Also I would not say that awareness has structure. Conceptual structures are built to try and understand and navigate and manipulate the world. This is again a function of the thinking mind. Awareness itself is not structured.

The way the brain creates perceptions is totally structured, as well as the conceptual picture generated to represent the world. But I have no evidence that awareness is structured,

I read a little book called "The Minds Past" and these reserachers have essentially found evidence that the brain functions to create what they call a "story of the self". It is quite an interesting read.

O, you have made an eloquent arguement here, but your definition of ego, I think, takes you off the mark from the beginning.

Where did you come up with this definition of ego?

Your definition seems to require an ego for bare concious existance.

Yup, that is what I am saying.

It seems to me that ego requires the identification of the self as separate entity and that it is wholly a product of the thinking mind. Children younger than about 2yrs don't even have the concept of themselves as an identifiable separate self yet. After it forms there is a lot of training and conditioning and learning about how to function in society as this separate self. How to do this well is what most people focus their whole life working on.

Transcending that conditioning is where the spiritual impulse or work or quest or journey comes in.

What am I really without all this junk I have collected on the way? The unwinding, breaking down, or eliminating of the conditioned reflexes and beliefs is the result of this generally.

A pre 2yr child doesn't have a developed ego. In order to distinguish the self from the world an number of other dinsticntion need to be in place first. Like "together/apart" etc. Ever see a child pick something up, then throw it down, then pick it up, then throw it down.... this is a little mind developing the distinctionof "here/there - together/apart" it is the process of developing the awareness of the world and a nessessary part of developing the distinction of "the world" is to be able to draw a line and say "on this side is 'me" on that side is 'world'"

The rest is filler - we come into awareness of the self and then along the way we begin a more intellectual persuit of defining what that self is... the personality...

So what I am saying is that spirituality is not about getting over this conditioning. That is a psychological pursuit and has to do with the personality (or the shape the self has taken)... I'm saying spirituality is about an evolution of awareness to distinctions which surpass the mechanism by which an ego is aware of the world. That is not to say that the interface of ego is not there it is but as only a precursor distiction - not the sole means to perceive.

IMHO most people enter into spiritual persuits looking for answers to psychological issues, other look at indications of spiritual development whcih are really well constructed or repair personalities.... To me spirituality is neither - although bumps up against it alot and psychological insight can be gain from it.... its just not the end game.

Also I would not say that awareness has structure. Conceptual structures are built to try and understand and navigate and manipulate the world. This is again a function of the thinking mind. Awareness itself is not structured.

We agree

The way the brain creates perceptions is totally structured, as well as the conceptual picture generated to represent the world. But I have no evidence that awareness is structured,

we agree again.... awareness is not structured

I read a little book called "The Minds Past" and these reserachers have essentially found evidence that the brain functions to create what they call a "story of the self". It is quite an interesting read.

Raw awareness does not have nor does it need consciousness. But concsiousness can not be with out awareness, so consciousnes is dependant on awareness... for raw data gathered through awareness be become a conscious expereince then it is structured as you have aluded to... but there is somethig beyond that... to much to go into at the moment maybe later... but after conscious awareness has become fully developed there becomes the possibilty for direct distinction with out the struture of perception... some refer to it as knowing only, epiphany etc.... those "spiritual experieince" that people can not explain....

The structured perception is needed until the awareness makes the distinction of awareness directly - this is the "entering the stream" sort of expereince.....

So after all that, can you see why I see it is important to have and use a proper term for "ego"?

Edited by -O-

Interesting topic, in my view a person can have an individuality below the "ego" for example a 2 year old child could have artistic or mathematical inclinations and specific innate characteristics before they start creating an image about themselves, Sufi's or Gurdjieff would call this a persons essence which is separate from the ego, but then the ego starts taking the place of a persons essence as they get brainwashed by life.

There is a big difference between arrogance and confidence, arrogance is based upon insecurity and strives to get one up on someone in order to feel less insecure so it's all about power in comparison to someone else, while confidence is your own feeling towards something without being particularly concerned with anyone else, so if what you do develops arrogance try see what fear or insecurity is driving that. A healthy ego is based upon making friends and accepting the "weak" insecure parts of yourself, not developing the stronger parts so they dominate over the "weak" parts.

Interesting topic, in my view a person can have an individuality below the "ego" for example a 2 year old child could have artistic or mathematical inclinations and specific innate characteristics before they start creating an image about themselves, Sufi's or Gurdjieff would call this a persons essence which is separate from the ego, but then the ego starts taking the place of a persons essence as they get brainwashed by life.

There is a big difference between arrogance and confidence, arrogance is based upon insecurity and strives to get one up on someone in order to feel less insecure so it's all about power in comparison to someone else, while confidence is your own feeling towards something without being particularly concerned with anyone else, so if what you do develops arrogance try see what fear or insecurity is driving that. A healthy ego is based upon making friends and accepting the "weak" insecure parts of yourself, not developing the stronger parts so they dominate over the "weak" parts.

i like what you have to say jetsun keep it coming im starting to recognise this daily.

Marblehead, I am not going to try and put your statements in quotes and pick on each one, and we certainly disagree, but I find that you are missing something.

The only thing the ego can protect is itself, which is a self-image.

The ego doesn't give a crap about the bodys health, it just wants attention and approval so it might try to use physical attractiveness to get that validation. Something like this can be eating dissorders, steriod use, drug use to loose weight, becoming a "qigong master" to show off your skills and abilities.....all ego, not protecting the organism. This is just one type of example.

The doing by not-doing is more like the egoless doing, the result of being being.

There is intelligence outside the mind, which is the only place the ego exists, if you can really call it that.

I just felt that a few of the things you asserted need to be challenged. I find them to not be true.

Well, like I said, we have differing understandings of what the ego is and its importance in our life.

The things you mentioned above are descriptive of a diseased ego.

Ego:

1. self-esteem: somebody's idea of his or her own importance or worth, usually of an appropriate level

The climb left us with frostbite and bruised egos.

2. psychoanalysis part of mind containing consciousness: in Freudian psychology, one of three main divisions of the mind, containing consciousness and memory and involved with control, planning, and conforming to reality

3. philosophy self: the individual self, as distinct from the outside world and other selves

The above is from Incarta. And this, I think speaks to a healthy ego.

I am aware of the fact that some think that they can eliminate their ego. But what would that bring to the person? A state of emptiness. A condition of worthlessness. Apathy!

I have talked to this subject many times here on this forum and my opinion and understandings have not changes since my very first post to the subject.

Taoism does not recommend we eliminate our ego; it recommends we lessen our ego. That is, we keep our ego compatible with reality.

So we could probably talk about this for many years but to what avail? You have your opinions and I have mine. These differences represent our egos; our understanding of Self.

And your truth will not necessarily be my truth nor will my truth be your truth. Philosophical (and religious) truths are personal things and truths will vary from one individual to another.

So, just because you disagree with me doesn't make me wrong. And that I disagree with you doesn't make me right. But I am right for me and that is all that really matters as your right is for you.

Peace & Contentment!

Well, like I said, we have differing understandings of what the ego is and its importance in our life.

The things you mentioned above are descriptive of a diseased ego.

Ego:

1. self-esteem: somebody's idea of his or her own importance or worth, usually of an appropriate level

The climb left us with frostbite and bruised egos.

2. psychoanalysis part of mind containing consciousness: in Freudian psychology, one of three main divisions of the mind, containing consciousness and memory and involved with control, planning, and conforming to reality

3. philosophy self: the individual self, as distinct from the outside world and other selves

The above is from Incarta. And this, I think speaks to a healthy ego.

I am aware of the fact that some think that they can eliminate their ego. But what would that bring to the person? A state of emptiness. A condition of worthlessness. Apathy!

I have talked to this subject many times here on this forum and my opinion and understandings have not changes since my very first post to the subject.

Taoism does not recommend we eliminate our ego; it recommends we lessen our ego. That is, we keep our ego compatible with reality.

So we could probably talk about this for many years but to what avail? You have your opinions and I have mine. These differences represent our egos; our understanding of Self.

And your truth will not necessarily be my truth nor will my truth be your truth. Philosophical (and religious) truths are personal things and truths will vary from one individual to another.

So, just because you disagree with me doesn't make me wrong. And that I disagree with you doesn't make me right. But I am right for me and that is all that really matters as your right is for you.

Peace & Contentment!

is there such thing as the super ego too i had a girlfriend who wanted to be a profiler she was explaining this at some point about there being the ego and the super ego. and id. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego,_and_super-ego

i like what you have to say jetsun keep it coming im starting to recognise this daily.

Everyone is unique so it's always hard to comment on someone else but generally I think arrogance is developed as a defence against other people so they can't see or attack your "weak" or insecure parts, whereas genuine confidence is developed by accepting and loving your "weak" or insecure parts so therefore other people have nothing to attack so you feel secure and have no need to inflate yourself.

is there such thing as the super ego too i had a girlfriend who wanted to be a profiler she was explaining this at some point about there being the ego and the super ego. and id. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego,_and_super-ego

I have never done any reading of this subject nor have had any thoughts concerning the concept of "superego". However, from reading the link I would say that it is a valid arguement. My opinion here is based on the thought I have just had concerning the intervention of a force (best word I could come up with) that keeps us, or at least tries to keep us, honest to our most basic morale values.

Peace & Contentment!

I have never done any reading of this subject nor have had any thoughts concerning the concept of "superego". However, from reading the link I would say that it is a valid arguement. My opinion here is based on the thought I have just had concerning the intervention of a force (best word I could come up with) that keeps us, or at least tries to keep us, honest to our most basic morale values.

Peace & Contentment!

Id say its a force which keeps you honest to your parents and to societies moral values, which may actually be in opposition to your own

Where's Apech's "consciousness vs awareness" distinction?

I dunno, I reckon the "consciousness" part is the conceptualizing part and the "awareness" part sort of gets looped into "consciousness" somehow?

I was considering this today, which parts are outside and inside, which parts are subject and object and well, I concluded that none of them are. But at the same time they are: subject and object. I see no issue so far in holding such a view (apart that it's a mindf*ck, lots of things are). But it seems similar to the way someone else could come to consider light having properties of two distinct states. Much as a child might spend its first years discovering its existence.