skyfly

Master Wang LIping's seminar in SC

The retreat was very well worth every penny. The most important thing was having a chance to talk to master Wang and asked questions directly. Even those who paid thousands to attend master Wang's public retreat in China didn't have a chance to talk to him. We learned and practiced the 3 "Gongs" from Master Wang's teaching of Ling-Bao Internal Arts. The instructions are well prepared. We even had a chance to learn and practice the newly introduced "Nine Palace Baqua Stepping" method. The group meditation session in baqua formation was powerful. The introduction to "Secret of Golden Flower" is well explained. Wished we have more time to practice it. Heard from Kathy that Master Wang may consider to come to the States to hold a 2 week long retreat if there are enough interests. A sign-up sheet, anyone?

I would hate to think of the price for that one. 3500 to 5000? I'm sorry but I'm gun shy. I've been burned many times over the past. You might have great results but I may not and therefore would waste time and money.

I just don't get what makes WLP's material so powerful. Are his methods really good or is it because of his title that makes for wide-eyed kid in the toy store look? I've practiced a lot of stuff over the years and I would say only a couple practices I've found were really powerful. The rest are about on the same level as the others. The point though is, more important than the exercise is the method.

Without giving up the secrets of the exercises, can you talk more about the methods?

For instance, one may use breath control, or postures, or etc.

I also wished we would have more time to practice. Students in the 7 star (big dipper) meditation and chanting all get great and powerful experience. See following picture of big dipper. Person on the 3rd star position openned his internal chanel with whole body vibration for 30 minutes.

BigDipper.gif

The retreat was very well worth every penny. The most important thing was having a chance to talk to master Wang and asked questions directly. Even those who paid thousands to attend master Wang's public retreat in China didn't have a chance to talk to him. We learned and practiced the 3 "Gongs" from Master Wang's teaching of Ling-Bao Internal Arts. The instructions are well prepared. We even had a chance to learn and practice the newly introduced "Nine Palace Baqua Stepping" method. The group meditation session in baqua formation was powerful. The introduction to "Secret of Golden Flower" is well explained. Wished we have more time to practice it. Heard from Kathy that Master Wang may consider to come to the States to hold a 2 week long retreat if there are enough interests. A sign-up sheet, anyone?

You can sign me up! :P

BTW, to address an earlier question - anyone who has actually attended a workshop would know that WLP does not speak English. Therefore, even if he somehow hypothetically had the time to surf the internet all day reading various forums - he wouldn't be able to read any of the English ones. DUH??? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, more knowledge is always great - but I think it takes at least a year or 2 just to become proficient at the fundamentals. Which are "simple," but not easy. For example, "A" students can sit in full lotus for an hour or 2. But reading a bunch of "secret scrolls" isn't going to get you into full lotus. Or allow you to easily disengage your observed mind and clear your heart of passions. That simply takes a lottt of stretching & practice over a long period of time on your own. Knowledge can be taught...but skill must be practiced. And you need both equally to get very far - like 2 pedals on a bike.

Now, if you are already an advanced adept - then by all means seek the knowledge you need to get to the next step. Mileage here varies with each individual. Unfortunately, I myself still need more skill than knowledge at this point... :lol:

Edited by vortex

You can sign me up! :P

BTW, to address an earlier question - anyone who has actually attended a workshop would know that WLP does not speak English. Therefore, even if he somehow hypothetically had the time to surf the internet all day reading various forums - he wouldn't be able to read any of the English ones. DUH??? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, more knowledge is always great - but I think it takes at least a year or 2 just to become proficient at the fundamentals. Which are "simple," but not easy. For example, "A" students can sit in full lotus for an hour or 2. But reading a bunch of "secret scrolls" isn't going to get you into full lotus. Or allow you to easily disengage your observed mind and clear your heart of passions. That simply takes a lottt of stretching & practice over a long period of time on your own. Knowledge can be taught...but skill must be practiced. And you need both equally to get very far - like 2 pedals on a bike.

Now, if you are already an advanced adept - then by all means seek the knowledge you need to get to the next step. Mileage here varies with each individual. Unfortunately, I myself still need more skill than knowledge at this point... :lol:

What DOES he speak? I'll assume Chinese? Which kind? I'd love to meet that guy eventually =)

Most of the training was so basic and consisted mostly of silly tree meditation. Not the hardcore techniques advertised and promoted over the website and in the booklet.

I have not attended any seminars but I can attest to the profundity of Master Wang's basic techniques. And I have only scratched the surface.

It's amazing actually, the more you practice, the deeper you observe. The wisdom of life and traditional practices is revealed through simpler and simpler activities. Knowledge practice divides the mind into smaller and smaller categorical differences. Wisdom practice unites the mind with greater and greater understanding of connection. Knowledge is the mind in complexity, wisdom is the mind in simplicity.

A mind accustomed to knowledge acquisition moves horizontally. Wisdom develops vertically. Which movement is easier for man? Our vertical axis is on the heart-mind. It's not developed with more practices but with more practice.

I'm not sure why these seminars are advertised as they are, in fact I haven't seen the advertisements and have no interest to, however, I have a theory why they cost what they do. It's a rare person who can truly treasure what he or she finds for free. There are treasures on the internet but who treats them as such? As for modern man, he gets what he pays for. If it costs nothing, he treats it as nothing. If it's cost is great, he treats it as great. Worthlessness and Pricelessness differ in mind not reality.

So have you understood the "silly tree meditation"?

Edited by 松永道

Some of my very BEST practices which I practice to this day have been taught to me either without charge or at a very small fee. They have all been clear in teaching and not holding anything back.

By contrast, the other, more costly practices I've learned had been taught in an most esoteric, double-talking most severely irritating and annoying way possible.

Not saying that's the case here... just saying.

Some of my very BEST practices which I practice to this day have been taught to me either without charge or at a very small fee. They have all been clear in teaching and not holding anything back.

By contrast, the other, more costly practices I've learned had been taught in an most esoteric, double-talking most severely irritating and annoying way possible.

Not saying that's the case here... just saying.

Most of the famous and authentic older Chinese masters who teach today spent most of their lives in the kind of poverty most people in the West would have trouble even imagining. They buried friends and family who died of hunger. They preserved authentic ancient arts in the midst of a life of back-breaking labor, ideological pressure, and political danger that could translate into a prison term, a forced labor camp, or worse. Times have changed and now their chance has come to get rewarded even though when they did what they did for the preservation of the taoist tradition they didn't think of rewards at all. No one becomes an authentic master who starts out with an explicit goal and a step-by-step plan for "making a shitload of money." But if money should come later as a side effect... how can a master be blamed for "grasping Time by the tail, not letting it pass you by" just as the classics advise him?..

People tend to see only one side of the story -- "it's too expensive for me, and therefore something is wrong with it." The other side, however, is, "every single thing you had by the time you were four years old used to be too expensive for the master at the time he was forty." Is it or is it not true that most of us are too poor to afford a seminar given by a master who used to be too poor to afford a steamed bun?.. It is! So I think a high-priced master who teaches to high-maintenance spiritual seekers is --

yup, a karmic investment for them to make. If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't relieve the karma.:lol:

I have not attended any seminars but I can attest to the profundity of Master Wang's basic techniques. And I have only scratched the surface.

It's amazing actually, the more you practice, the deeper you observe. The wisdom of life and traditional practices is revealed through simpler and simpler activities. Knowledge practice divides the mind into smaller and smaller categorical differences. Wisdom practice unites the mind with greater and greater understanding of connection. Knowledge is the mind in complexity, wisdom is the mind in simplicity.

A mind accustomed to knowledge acquisition moves horizontally. Wisdom develops vertically. Which movement is easier for man? Our vertical axis is on the heart-mind. It's not developed with more practices but with more practice.

I'm not sure why these seminars are advertised as they are, in fact I haven't seen the advertisements and have no interest to, however, I have a theory why they cost what they do. It's a rare person who can truly treasure what he or she finds for free. There are treasures on the internet but who treats them as such? As for modern man, he gets what he pays for. If it costs nothing, he treats it as nothing. If it's cost is great, he treats it as great. Worthlessness and Pricelessness differ in mind not reality.

So have you understood the "silly tree meditation"?

If you have only scratched the surface then i suggest you shut your mouth & get somebody who knows what their talking about next time.

Thanks for nothing.

If you have only scratched the surface then i suggest you shut your mouth & get somebody who knows what their talking about next time.

Thanks for nothing.

---Moderator's note---

TheTaoBum will take a little break from posting.

• Like 1

I have a simmilar experience.

Although, I have to admit, sometimes I value the information that I found free at least as much as the one I pay for. The strenuous effort that is involved in the searching, sometimes makes up for the price of the prize. For example, I'm still searching for an answer to this mistery. I'm sure it will be well worth my while.

Most of the famous and authentic older Chinese masters who teach today spent most of their lives in the kind of poverty most people in the West would have trouble even imagining. They buried friends and family who died of hunger. They preserved authentic ancient arts in the midst of a life of back-breaking labor, ideological pressure, and political danger that could translate into a prison term, a forced labor camp, or worse. Times have changed and now their chance has come to get rewarded even though when they did what they did for the preservation of the taoist tradition they didn't think of rewards at all. No one becomes an authentic master who starts out with an explicit goal and a step-by-step plan for "making a shitload of money." But if money should come later as a side effect... how can a master be blamed for "grasping Time by the tail, not letting it pass you by" just as the classics advise him?..

People tend to see only one side of the story -- "it's too expensive for me, and therefore something is wrong with it." The other side, however, is, "every single thing you had by the time you were four years old used to be too expensive for the master at the time he was forty." Is it or is it not true that most of us are too poor to afford a seminar given by a master who used to be too poor to afford a steamed bun?.. It is! So I think a high-priced master who teaches to high-maintenance spiritual seekers is --

yup, a karmic investment for them to make. If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't relieve the karma.:lol:

Well, here's my experience in the past.

Master has student at school. Master sees potential to make money from student. Master thinks of the best way he can draw out the teaching process in order to maximize the return from said student. Master has core material then uses seminars to gain more money from student. Master thinks more about how to draw this out further. Instead of teaching everything in one seminar, why not divide it into six seminars over two years. Then you must come to every seminar in order to learn what used to take only one seminar. Over time Master gets older.. and thus seminars get more expensive.

I had another Master come to town to give seminars. I would ask the organizer what he was going to teach. She'd say, I don't know, just come. .... Ok, so I pay for a seminar that I have no idea what the contents are going to be? What the heck??

Yet another Master has qigong instruction but never answers questions directly about the instruction or responds in a cagy, slippery fashion so student pays big bucks for nilly-willy instruction.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.

I've been burned this way many times in the past and frankly, it gets old.

I absolutely have no problem spending money for learning. In fact, I've spent upwards of 500.00 on one exercise. My friend has spent upwards of 3500.00 on one exercise which I also don't mind paying if I know the quality and source before learning.

The difference is: The exercises bought in this fashion were complete (no next time needed) and the quality and source of said exercises were known before learning.

Very clear cut.

So, If I were 2 to 5 years in my learning experience I would have a different attitude I think but after 25 years I've just gotten to the point I can't do it anymore.

Add to that I have a family and don't make much money so, what the hell. If a master only cares about their financial position and not the student's progression then he/she is not for me.

To be fair, Kathy's seminars have been very affordable. I just don't have the money for travel these days.

Thanks for nothing.

:lol:

Good luck finding the surface!

Thanks for your reply. Are you able to post some of the questions asked to M WLP and their replies?

Without giving up the secrets of the exercises, can you talk more about the methods?

For instance, one may use breath control, or postures, or etc.

There are

Donggong - exercises with outside movements

Shuigong - exercises while lie

Jinggong - internal exercise while sitting

Please ask your question more specific. Yes there is reverse breathing, breath retention, postures, movements, visualizations, stillness, ...

What DOES he speak? I'll assume Chinese? Which kind? I'd love to meet that guy eventually =)

Master Wang speaks a dialect and mandarin with some words from his dialect as far as I know. But I'm pretty sure he knew every time what I was talking about before the translator began translating from english into mandarin.

Master has student at school. Master sees potential to make money from student. Master thinks of the best way he can draw out the teaching process in order to maximize the return from said student. Master has core material then uses seminars to gain more money from student. Master thinks more about how to draw this out further. Instead of teaching everything in one seminar, why not divide it into six seminars over two years. Then you must come to every seminar in order to learn what used to take only one seminar. Over time Master gets older.. and thus seminars get more expensive.

I had another Master come to town to give seminars. I would ask the organizer what he was going to teach. She'd say, I don't know, just come. .... Ok, so I pay for a seminar that I have no idea what the contents are going to be? What the heck??

Yet another Master has qigong instruction but never answers questions directly about the instruction or responds in a cagy, slippery fashion so student pays big bucks for nilly-willy instruction.

I absolutely have no problem spending money for learning. In fact, I've spent upwards of 500.00 on one exercise. My friend has spent upwards of 3500.00 on one exercise which I also don't mind paying if I know the quality and source before learning.

The difference is: The exercises bought in this fashion were complete (no next time needed) and the quality and source of said exercises were known before learning.

Very clear cut.

So, If I were 2 to 5 years in my learning experience I would have a different attitude I think but after 25 years I've just gotten to the point I can't do it anymore.

Add to that I have a family and don't make much money so, what the hell. If a master only cares about their financial position and not the student's progression then he/she is not for me.

To be fair, Kathy's seminars have been very affordable. I just don't have the money for travel these days.

I'm sure there's hordes of high-priced scamsters out there, and I have sympathy for you and everyone else who's been burned. I've been lucky so far -- never ripped off by a master, never given a useless practice "available elsewhere for a fraction of the cost..." In fact I never sought a master or a practice till circumstances somehow came together to make it a clear and logical step to take... and if I couldn't afford it, circumstances would conspire again so I could. But then, I have never undertaken a study of a taoist practice without consulting the I Ching first.:)

It's also true that some of the best stuff out there is free, but not really... you have to invested into something (yourself? the who you are?) by some other means to get it. E.g., on occasion I got some high priced stuff for free because I gave something first... and gave it just because I could, not because I expected a business transaction.

Yes of course. The people I received teachings for free I gave more than I would at a high priced seminar because I wanted to take care of someone so kind and I still have relations with most of those people today. It's directly opposite with the former high priced scammers.

Very clear cut.

I can say I agree with Baguakid and Dragord . I would like to attend the next retreat in US, even in Hawii proposed.

I totally aggree to this and plan to be in next seminar....

If it's online on the internet, why not offer a chanse for practitioners world-wide?

It can be done quite easy, with Paypal and Skype! Just an idea.

It is a really good idea.

Master Wang has offered online meet-up chances for practitioners world-wide. Corresponding information seems to be at http://laoziacademy.us/.

It is a really good idea.

Master Wang has offered online meet-up chances for practitioners world-wide. Corresponding information seems to be at http://laoziacademy.us/.

The first-round meet-up via Lao Zi Academy was successfully held two weeks ago.Six people all over the world asked many questions about Ling Bao Arts and other interesting things, to which all answers could be presented in the website of Laoziacademy.us. Another online meet-up is being scheduled for Dao Friends from Romanian. Ms Kathy, as a disciple of Master Wang, will be responsible for the whole arrangement