HEX

navigating past the superficial

In living in the continuous accordance to Tao; Vigorously on the path to true self cultivation in all areas of existence... I am finding that the more I disconnect from the mediocrity, and the mindless meddling, among other absurdities so widly and commonly accepted/practiced in this world; The more difficult it is for me to maitain the relationships I would like to keep, and further alienating myself from interaction with people. I'm at a point where it is a near-impossible task not to show my annoyance with the average person's blind loyalty to the many forms of trickery and falsities, and inability to recognize, let alone move beyond such complacency; Resulting in the entrapment of thier own mind, that one sets for themselves. My question is: How can the rare breed break past the barriers of the natural rift between them and fellow beings? Is it even possible? -Perhaps there are others wiser than me on this subject that can shed some light on this dilemma I'm having.

From what i can see, the cultivation of Tao, or the path of Tao, is one of refining the grosser levels of mental, physical and speech activities. It is the purposeful act of honing oneself in these three aspects which are primarily the 3 windows from which you reveal yourself to the world around you, and the means with which the world uses to look back at you. The cleaner the windows, the clearer each can see the other, but ultimately there is still a 'barrier', no matter how clean this barrier is. It feels to me that this analogy kind of describes the relationship you are presently engaged in. The fun part is, now that things are clear to you, there is a sense of frustration because now that limitations have become exposed, it has also entailed the formation of judgements- what is good and proper, and what is perceived to be lacking and improper.., this kind of discernment often result in discord, which is not the way of the sages.

In the sage's house, there are no windows. Not only that, often even the need for doors are discarded. Only then can he move in and out of himself, and society, with ease, for there remains no barrier in which dust might gather.

The essence of the Tao is unity. If you perceive two modes of existence - there is you, who has refined your ways, and then there are those whom you deem to be less refined - as long as this view is maintained, it would be hard to remain close to the essence.

"In ordinary life, we are usually not aware of the unity of all things, but divide the world into separate objects and events. This division is useful and necessary to cope with our everyday environment, but it is not a fundamental feature of reality. It is an abstraction devised by our discriminating and categorising intellect. To believe that our abstract concepts of seperate 'things' and 'events' are realities of Nature is an illusion." -- (Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics)

"When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty, there arises ugliness. When they all know the good as good, there arises the discernment of what is evil. Therefore being and non-being produce each other." (Lao Tzu)

Discrimination is one of the chief causes of the illusion of self and other. The illusion of self and other creates separation. Separation is one of the primary driving force that compounds yet another illusion that we are somehow incomplete. Sensing that we could be incomplete, there arises perplexities around feelings, thoughts, words and deeds, thus unnecessary energy is dissipated in trying to look after too many things. When unnecessary energy is dissipated, how can one expect to have vigor? Without vigor, it is impossible to return to the Source, harmoniously and unfragmented.

Edited by CowTao

To see the world for what it is must happen before you go about your way, and must continue to be re-examined throughout. Thank you cowtao for your solid reminders on the types of 'window cleaner' to use. Though incorporated, the 'barrier' you and I are referring to still remains. This is my focus.

Edited by HEX

In living in the continuous accordance to Tao; Vigorously on the path to true self cultivation in all areas of existence... I am finding that the more I disconnect from the mediocrity, and the mindless meddling, among other absurdities so widly and commonly accepted/practiced in this world; The more difficult it is for me to maitain the relationships I would like to keep, and further alienating myself from interaction with people. I'm at a point where it is a near-impossible task not to show my annoyance with the average person's blind loyalty to the many forms of trickery and falsities, and inability to recognize, let alone move beyond such complacency; Resulting in the entrapment of thier own mind, that one sets for themselves. My question is: How can the rare breed break past the barriers of the natural rift between them and fellow beings? Is it even possible? -Perhaps there are others wiser than me on this subject that can shed some light on this dilemma I'm having.

You are victim of continual misplaced emphasis. Forget about others, and forget about them and forget their problems and their ways. When you catch yourself thinking about how much others suck for this or that reason, and what you want to say to them, forget it. And forget it, and leave it alone. Its a trap like a maze with no end. Your ego is acting like a mirror, and just leave it. Imagine yourself thinking about them now, and now chop the thought off. Practise stilling the mind like the proverbial zen monk who sits for hours, and keep the focus on yourself and your own mind. The unbearableness of keeping ones on focus on ones own mind is expressed by critizing others, its a trap and you have to stop it. Its a slow process.

Perhaps it is useless. But is it not selfish of me to withhold such knowledge? though it may fall on deaf ears(which I try to avoid those whom cannot hear) my place is definitely not to say 'you suck.' I'm simply trying to help. when I extend a hand it is not to knock down, but to raise up. honing my own self is a constant focus. Is it such a 'trap' to believe in the potential of mankind?

Ah, sorry, just the languaging of your initial post was quite critical, reminded me existentialist thought. In the case you just want to help, its an equalibrium that is difficult to find because we cant change other's values so quickly. Im sticking with "by example" and by under-the-radar methods, these can be developed. I have no social influence so Im just another of any competing views of "the truth", so directly convincing even one person is a futile grind, useless as you say.

Perhaps it is useless. But is it not selfish of me to withhold such knowledge? though it may fall on deaf ears(which I try to avoid those whom cannot hear) my place is definitely not to say 'you suck.' I'm simply trying to help. when I extend a hand it is not to knock down, but to raise up. honing my own self is a constant focus. Is it such a 'trap' to believe in the potential of mankind?

Just attain enlightenment for the sake of others while contemplating the fact that you and others do not inherently exist, that way the goal of attaining enlightenment for others, leaves others as a non-distraction but rather as a form of selfless service and a tool for selfless realization. Just offer without attachment to the results. Be as loving as you can be within your capacity while expanding it through seeing interconnectivity, but also see emptiness, otherwise there will be attachment to the results or experiences that unfold throughout the process.

:)

Yes, it was a little too harsh. It was just meant to roughly, and quickly illustrate the depths of the predicament. Its not my goal to change anyone. when appropriate, I believe in introducing clarity to the 'bogged down' not for my own benefit, but to contribute to the longevity of the source. Anyways, this is off topic of what I'm trying to get at.

Same old, same old. You want something from others. In this case to teach them of the superiority of your path to true cultivation. Unless people come to you, I doubt you'll find satisfaction. The best you can do is let your life be an example.

Still friends and human contact are important. Find middle ground, common interests even with people who aren't on your path. Everyone has something to share. Few people are on the Taoist path, but that doesn't mean you can't friendly with all the people moving in your general vicinity. Who knows, maybe they're there for a reason.

In every art, cultivation, diet!, athletic, there is a point where practitioners are dumb struck at how lazy and unaware the population is. If they don't let it go they become insufferable to the rest of us and they are in danger of becoming imbalanced.

my 2 cents, keep up the cultivation, its fantastic, but keep balanced and in touch w/ people too.

Michael

I see good points in your response. But you've got the wrong impression of me Michael. It's cool though because you do not know me at all.

I like to challenge myself by acknowledging the feelings I get from negative interactions with others, and placing them fully in my consciousness, in order to get past them. Paying attention to breathing and smiling helps break the cycle.

If I'm too emotional, I'll exercise.

Wanting to change others is a sign that I'm not cultivating correctly, in this way. In my opinion, others should be viewed as teachers of us. They give us the experiences we need in order to grow. If we are feeling jaded about something, we aren't in accord with the Tao.

Having these bad feelings and judgments isn't good for us. We are supposed to be purifying our energy/soul, so that we can make our world a better place starting from within, and also to make ourselves healthy and happy.

Just some things to think about. :)

You have to align with peoples heartless bullshit to get to the roots. More spiritual people this might be an afternoon outside or helping them, it is MUCH eAsier w people u train with. Most people can not handle the curtains of reLity being peeled back this is why some people respond intensely to projecting chi or an energy wave ilat them or in their directions.

Verses On the Faith Mind

Translated by Richard B. Clarke

至道無難 The Great Way is not difficult

唯嫌揀擇 for those who have no preferences.

但莫憎愛 When love and hate are both absent

洞然明白 everything becomes clear and undisguised.

毫釐有差 Make the smallest distinction, however

天地懸隔 and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.

欲得現前 If you wish to see the truth

莫存順逆 then hold no opinions for or against anything.

違順相爭 To set up what you like against what you dislike

是爲心病 is the disease of the mind.

不識玄旨 When the deep meaning of things is not understood

徒勞念靜 the mind's essential peace is disturbed to no avail.

圓同太虚 The Way is perfect like vast space

無欠無餘 where nothing is lacking and nothing is in excess.

良由取捨 Indeed, it is due to our choosing to accept or reject

所以不如 that we do not see the true nature of things.

莫逐有縁 Live neither in the entanglements of outer things,

勿住空忍 nor in inner feelings of emptiness.

一種平懷 Be serene in the oneness of things

泯然自盡 and such erroneous views will disappear by themselves.

止動歸止 When you try to stop activity to achieve passivity

止更彌動 your very effort fills you with activity.

唯滯兩邊 As long as you remain in one extreme or the other

寧知一種 you will never know Oneness.

一種不通 Those who do not live in the single Way

兩處失功 fail in both activity and passivity,

遣有沒有 assertion and denial. To deny the reality of things

從空背空 to assert the emptiness of things is to miss their reality.

多言多慮 The more you talk and think about it,

轉不相應 the further astray you wander from the truth.

絶言絶慮 Stop talking and thinking,

無處不通 and there is nothing you will not be able to know.

歸根得旨 To return to the root is to find the meaning,

隨照失宗 but to pursue appearances is to miss the source.

須臾返照 At the moment of inner enlightenment

勝卻前空 there is a going beyond appearance and emptiness.

前空轉變 The changes that appear to occur in the empty world

皆由妄見 we call real only because of our ignorance.

不用求眞 Do not search for the truth;

唯須息見 only cease to cherish opinions.

二見不住 Do not remain in the dualistic state

慎莫追尋 avoid such pursuits carefully.

纔有是非 If there is even a trace of this and that, of right and wrong,

紛然失心 the Mind-essence will be lost in confusion.

二由一有 Although all dualities come from the One,

一亦莫守 do not be attached even to this One.

一心不生 When the mind exists undisturbed in the Way,

萬法無咎 nothing in the world can offend,

無咎無法 and when a thing can no longer offend, it ceases to exist in the old way.

不生不心 When no discriminating thoughts arise, the old mind ceases to exist.

能隨境滅 When thought objects vanish, the thinking-subject vanishes,

境逐能沈 as when the mind vanishes, objects vanish.

境由能境 Things are objects because of the subject (mind);

能由境能 the mind (subject) is such because of things (object).

欲知兩段 Understand the relativity of these two

元是一空 and the basic reality: the unity of emptiness.

一空同兩 In this Emptiness the two are indistinguishable

齊含萬象 and each contains in itself the whole world.

不見精麁 If you do not discriminate between coarse and fine

寧有偏黨 you will not be tempted to prejudice and opinion.

大道體寛 To live in the Great Way

無易無難 is neither easy nor difficult,

小見狐疑 but those with limited views

轉急轉遲 and fearful and irresolute: the faster they hurry, the slower they go,

執之失度 and clinging (attachment) cannot be limited;

必入邪路 even to be attached to the idea of enlightenment is to go astray.

放之自然 Just let things be in their own way

體無去住 and there will be neither coming nor going.

任性合道 Obey the nature of things (your own nature),

逍遙絶惱 and you will walk freely and undisturbed.

繋念乖眞 When thought is in bondage the truth is hidden,

昏沈不好 for everything is murky and unclear,

不好勞神 and the burdensome practice of judging brings annoyance and weariness.

何用疏親 What benefit can be derived from distinctions and separations?

欲取一乘 If you wish to move in the One Way

勿惡六塵 do not dislike even the world of senses and ideas.

六塵不惡 Indeed, to accept them fully

還同正覺 is identical with true Enlightenment.

智者無爲 The wise man strives to no goals

愚人自縛 but the foolish man fetters himself.

法無異法 This is one Dharma, not many: distinctions arise

妄自愛著 from the clinging needs of the ignorant.

將心用心 To seek Mind with the (discriminating) mind

豈非大錯 is the greatest of all mistakes.

迷生寂亂 Rest and unrest derive from illusion;

悟無好惡 with enlightenment there is no liking and disliking.

一切二邊 All dualities come from

妄自斟酌 ignorant inference.

夢幻虚華 They are like dreams of flowers in the air:

何勞把捉 foolish to try to grasp them.

得失是非 Gain and loss, right and wrong:

一時放卻 such thoughts must finally be abolished at once.

眼若不睡 If the eye never sleeps,

諸夢自除 all dreams will naturally cease.

心若不異 If the mind makes no discriminations,

萬法一如 the ten thousand things are as they are, of single essence.

一如體玄 To understand the mystery of this One-essence

兀爾忘虚 is to be release from all entanglements.

萬法齊觀 When all things are seen equally

歸復自然 the timeless Self-essence is reached.

泯其所以 No comparisons or analogies are possible

不可方比 in this causeless, relationless state.

止動無動 Consider movement stationary and the stationary in motion,

動止無止 both movement and rest disappear.

兩既不成 When such dualities cease to exist

一何有爾 Oneness itself cannot exist.

究竟窮極 To this ultimate finality

不存軌則 no law or description applies.

契心平等 For the unified mind in accord with the Way

所作倶息 all self-centered straining ceases.

狐疑盡淨 Doubts and irresolution's vanish

正信調直 and life in true faith is possible.

一切不留 With a single stroke we are freed from bondage;

無可記憶 nothing clings to us and we hold to nothing.

虚明自照 All is empty , clear, self-illuminating,

不勞心力 with no exertion of the mind's power.

非思量處 Here thought, feeling, knowledge, and imagination

識情難測 are of no value.

眞如法界 In this world of Suchness

無他無自 there is neither self nor other-than-self

要急相應 To come directly into harmony with this reality

唯言不二 just simply say when doubt arises, 'Not two.'

不二皆同 In this 'no two' nothing is separate,

無不包容 nothing excluded.

十方智者 No matter when or where,

皆入此宗 enlightenment means entering this truth.

宗非促延 And this truth is beyond extension or diminution in time or space;

一念萬年 in it a single thought is ten thousand years.

無在不在 Emptiness here, Emptiness there,

十方目前 but the infinite universe stands always before your eyes.

極小同大 Infinitely large and infinitely small;

忘絶境界 no difference, for definitions have vanished

極大同小

不見邊表 and no boundaries are seen.

有即是無 So too with Being

無即是有 and non-Being.

若不如此 Don't waste time in doubts and arguments

必不相守 that have nothing to do with this.

一即一切 One thing, all things:

一切即一 move among and intermingle, without distinction.

但能如是 To live in this realization

何慮不畢 is to be without anxiety about non-perfection.

信心不二 To live in this faith is the road to non-duality,

不二信心 Because the non-dual is one with the trusting mind.

言語道斷 Words! The Way is beyond language,

非去來今 for in it there is

no yesterday

no tomorrow

no today.

You seem to belive that there is something to know, that there is some superior insight for the few? The entrapment is always in our own minds, our own hearts, and only when our hearts bleed, and we are completely ignorant can there be any possibility of seeing reality. And its a process of loss.

Stop believing that you know anything worthwhile for others, and your problems will dissapear.

h

Great responses so far, I suggest listening to each of them and take it to heart.

What you're going through, Hex, is something a lot of people go through, and in my humble opinion can be counted on as one of the first stages of real spiritual dedication. You've realized the path you're on isn't like some dieting fad, it's not something that you pick up just for kicks and don't really care about what other people think because it's not like you're really dedicated.

You are dedicated, and that's why you care. So in a way, these feelings are a positive sign :)

Now how to overcome them?

Understanding is the easiest way to do this. As others have said, try to connect with these people- on a physical level (friendship), emotional level (more serious relationship), energetically (try to feel how what they are doing is helping/hurting them spiritually).

Basically, nobody does anything without a good reason. The problem is that we all have a personal standard of what constitutes a "good reason". People in abusive relationships sometimes stay in them because they still love their abuser, and think they will hurt the abuser while leaving. Someone on the outside might think, "that's ridiculous, that person needs to leave the relationship now!"

So everything those people are doing is, in their mind, helping them. When you really get inside their minds and understand their reason, not only do you stop feeling annoyed at their behavior, but you understand how you can help them. Telling someone who is obsessed about what other people think of them that "hey, don't care what other people think of you", 9 times out of 10, isn't going to do much.... you've gotta turn it around into a positive, and the only way you're going to do that, is through understanding.

Annoyance, in my experience, stems from a lack of understanding :)

Well just to add my 2cents...I feel i'm in a similar boat. I've realized that all of the people around me (family, friends, relatives) are just...I don't want to say I hate them it's just that we're so VASTLY different in our beliefs, goals, thoughts and behaviours that we simply don't mix. I feel like everyone around me is trying to die and trying to help kill everyone else around them spreading self-destructive habbits (all unconsciously i assume and hope) and I'm just trying to live... Like I'm the POLAR OPPOSITE of what everyone else is, haha, and needless to say lonliness has never been more of a problem. Personally i'm trying to move to a desolate place where I can be away and just meditate and practice, though i'm not sure if thats the best option it feels most "right" at the moment.

Look at the relationship between parents and children. Parents are obviously more developed, more knowledgable about the world, etc and yet they can still deeply love their children and enjoy their company despite frequent "annoyances". I don't think it's impossible to interact with the common public as long as you stop expecting so much out of them. I don't want to sound arrogant or anything but honestly I just treat them like little kids who simply don't know better, because I really believe they don't. HOWEVER I would not look to the common public as "teachers" or look to them for guidance on a spiritual path. Thats like asking a shop-o-holic for advice on saving money O.o. Be the light man, lead by example, not by force. Be the one who leads and doesn't follow, who is true to himself. Master yourself and the world will bend to your will.

A big dispute I have with alot of "cultivators" and "gurus" is this idea of no discrimination. Perhaps once a certain state of consciousness has been reached the state of no discrimination can be sustained, but in this reality it seems rather dangerous. I mean on a quantum level, sure, we're all made of the same thing; on a spiritual level, sure we're all spiritual beings (maybe), but on THIS level, in THIS plane discrimination is what leads to cultivation and realization. In fact I believe that it's the LACK of discrimination thats lead to many of the problems today, especially this "God/Tao/whatever is everything" non-sense. I really believe that people are just trying to spread the mindset of complacency under the false title of spirituality. If you look at ANY spiritual tradition or training it requires alot of discipline and strict practices that must be done correctly. You cant just sit and play video games calling it meditation and telling anyone that says you're not meditating that they're being too discriminatory...O.O

It's how this world works, in order to attain certain feats you must do certain things. If you want to get stronger you exercise, if you want to be more flexible you stretch, if you want to move an object you push, pull or pick up and drop it. You can't just say " oh i'm going to move that cup by scratching my foot, lol. So if you have a goal (and it seems you do) you do the practice that gets you there, and the people who don't do that (or a similar) practice will not get there. So honestly I think if you see yourself as "on the same level" as everyone else that you're just deluding yourself. There's no use denying blatent reality. If you can bend steel, reflect bullets with your mind and move at the speed of sound...then you're better than 99% of people IN THAT RESPECT. I think the REAL issue is believing that because you're better than someone at ONE thing that your entirety of being is better than them, that because you can kick their ass they have nothing to offer. As long as you don't let your pride get in the way of love. A father knows that he's pretty much better in every respect than his 2 year old son and that alot of their relationship is going to be him teaching and correcting his son...but that doesn't get in the way of him LOVING his son. Similar with any "teacher-pupil" relationship. The teacher is better, the teacher KNOWS he's better, but he remains humble in the sense that he doesn't show off and try to put people down using his abilities (or if he does it's just to fuel the pupils desire to better him/herself).

So I think THATS the diff. Don't bother denying the difference between yourself and others, but don't let it get in the way of being able to love another person. Don't get addicted to being around those better than yourself. Self improvement is a fun journey, but it's only half the pie, the other half is sharing it with. If you believe in a "creator" you'd know this is true because if it didn't want to share existence with another we wouldn't be here ;)

But i've ranted enough. Best of luck on your journey,

-Astral

THANKYOU Astral_Anima. I was beginning to think I'm ALL alone here.

There are concepts in some of these responses I do not at all agree with, and do not relate to me in any way. Truth is easy to recognize, and I am seeing glimpses of it in some of the material

Edited by HEX

Astral Anima,

A big dispute I have with alot of "cultivators" and "gurus" is this idea of no discrimination. Perhaps once a certain state of consciousness has been reached the state of no discrimination can be sustained, but in this reality it seems rather dangerous. I mean on a quantum level, sure, we're all made of the same thing; on a spiritual level, sure we're all spiritual beings (maybe), but on THIS level, in THIS plane discrimination is what leads to cultivation and realization. In fact I believe that it's the LACK of discrimination thats lead to many of the problems today, especially this "God/Tao/whatever is everything" non-sense. I really believe that people are just trying to spread the mindset of complacency under the false title of spirituality.

I agree with this. Hopefully my post didn't seem like you should make stupid decisions and let people walk all over you. It was more geared towards what's happening within.

THANKYOU Astral_Anima. I was beginning to think I'm ALL alone here.

I just reread my own post and realized how nauseating it was.

My apologies. The worst kind of practitioner is the one who seemingly do not have any issues regarding others.

I respect the honesty in your question. There was a time when I went along with my feeling that all those who didn't embrace the immense potential of cultivation should be informed about that. Later I realized that this only affected me when some part of me was not yet convinced of the subtle reality I was trying to convey to others.

h

You are victim of continual misplaced emphasis. Forget about others, and forget about them and forget their problems and their ways. When you catch yourself thinking about how much others suck for this or that reason, and what you want to say to them, forget it. And forget it, and leave it alone. Its a trap like a maze with no end. Your ego is acting like a mirror, and just leave it. Imagine yourself thinking about them now, and now chop the thought off. Practise stilling the mind like the proverbial zen monk who sits for hours, and keep the focus on yourself and your own mind. The unbearableness of keeping ones on focus on ones own mind is expressed by critizing others, its a trap and you have to stop it. Its a slow process.

de_paradise

I believe you are accurate on this. Also being able to read the karmic patterns can be as you put it

a sinister trap - a neverending tricky maze.

Compassion and help is also tricky very tricky. One should be so lucky as to actually be doing good

Edited by rain

I just reread my own post and realized how nauseating it was.

My apologies. The worst kind of practitioner is the one who seemingly do not have any issues regarding others.

I respect the honesty in your question. There was a time when I went along with my feeling that all those who didn't embrace the immense potential of cultivation should be informed about that. Later I realized that this only affected me when some part of me was not yet convinced of the subtle reality I was trying to convey to others.

h

Hagar,

You do not realise how much of a saintly nature you possess. This post-reflection says it all. Herein is your wisdom light shining brightly, and i thought it would be nice to let you know it warms my morning.. :)

Hagar,

You do not realise how much of a saintly nature you possess. This post-reflection says it all. Herein is your wisdom light shining brightly, and i thought it would be nice to let you know it warms my morning.. :)

:blink: Oh lord. I hope I never will. Whatever warms someone is nice though.

This pretty much sums it up for me:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Adyashanti#p/u/4/29PDdi1cJAM

h