JohnC

Spiritual Lineage

Hey guys,

I was wondering what different types of spiritual lineages? I was hearing about the Naga lineage, and was just interested what else was out there?

Whats the difference?

Thanks,

John

Hey guys,

I was wondering what different types of spiritual lineages? I was hearing about the Naga lineage, and was just interested what else was out there?

Whats the difference?

Thanks,

John

Do you mean as in a handed down earthly tradition or a true Spiritual Lineage as in what Spiritual Lineage are you? Lots of info on the former not much info on the latter. I talk about the true Spiritual Lineage in the book referenced in my sig.

I feel like I would enjoy your book Ya Mu!

As far as "spiritual lineage" is concerned, I see it as those people (not books, although they may also have written) I call upon when things get a bit too much for me to handle by myself. Some of them are obvious because of the teachers I went towards (Santi, Glenn and Soke Hatsumi). Some of them not as obvious (I will include some terrible family members as well!) Aside from that, I get inspiration from whereever it may come. Not all of it comes from tradition. It may also come from TTB's!! Watch out! There are some very smart, compassionate, interesting people here...

I feel like I would enjoy your book Ya Mu!

As far as "spiritual lineage" is concerned, I see it as those people (not books, although they may also have written) I call upon when things get a bit too much for me to handle by myself. Some of them are obvious because of the teachers I went towards (Santi, Glenn and Soke Hatsumi). Some of them not as obvious (I will include some terrible family members as well!) Aside from that, I get inspiration from whereever it may come. Not all of it comes from tradition. It may also come from TTB's!! Watch out! There are some very smart, compassionate, interesting people here...

The words of one's teachers stay with us when a good question was well answered?

Definitely watch out, it's pretty good around here...

I was hearing about the naga spiritual lineage of kunlun, and was wondering what else is out there?

Like also how Buddha had nagas protecting him and the like, and am curious about whats up with all that.

Thanks,

John

So I guess spiritual lineage?

It seems kunlun is so damn powerful that people get in touch with stuff like that really quick.

Other things I've seen that are simple and powerful are zhan zhuang, are there other practices that are similarly powerful and effective?

I don't whether it counts as a spiritual linage but one guy experienced buddhist images after doing the flying phoenix qigong practise even though he hadn't practised Buddhism. See the flying phoenix thread for more info.

I don't whether it counts as a spiritual linage but one guy experienced buddhist images after doing the flying phoenix qigong practise even though he hadn't practised Buddhism. See the flying phoenix thread for more info.

I would just think of that as past life manifestations, I.E. dependent origination. Sorry... wifey wants me to throw the movie back on... gotta go.

Well, the word lineage itself implies the fact that it is passed down in a line. The line may make branches, but too many and it can no longer be classified as a lineage.

There's no blame on those who do not give away the secrets of others. If a master wanted to share with the internet, a faceless, formless beast, he or she would be on this forum. Maybe a couple already are.

Hey guys,

Whats the difference?

Thanks,

John

Pls exercise discretely.

In Glenn Morris' books he mentions certain types of spirits that protect and teach when initiated into a certain lineage.

You can come into contact with those spirits that most closely associate with you by continous practice and diligence. Its easy. You just keep going. For me, I suppose some past life connection made itself known and started working with me, and as far as spirits are concerned one spirit wolf that came about in a dream tends to follow me, or leave me on my own depending on it's mood.

I'd call that lineage, but I'm sure that I just have the term mixed up and someone will correct me.

Ya Mu, I have a good feeling about your book, in fact I have one on order from Amazon, I just hope it isn't the one my wife called me from the states telling me that it says something about it only costing 24 dollars on the cover, and the fact that I payed about 97 on Amazon for it. :blink::)

*Edit for a bit of cleanining up*

Edited by Mokona

In Glenn Morris' books he mentions certain types of spirits that protect and teach when initiated into a certain lineage.

You can come into contact with those spirits that most closely associate with you by continous practice and diligence. Its easy. You just keep going. For me, I suppose some past life connection made itself known and started working with me, and as far as spirits are concerned one spirit wolf that came about in a dream tends to follow me, or leave me on my own depending on it's mood.

I'd call that lineage, but I'm sure that I just have the term mixed up and someone will correct me.

Ya Mu, I have a good feeling about your book, in fact I have one on order from Amazon, I just hope it isn't the one my wife called me from the states telling me that it says something about it only costing 24 dollars on the cover, and the fact that I payed about 97 on Amazon for it. :blink::)

*Edit for a bit of cleanining up*

Are you serious about paying $97? Please cancel the order. Someone is ripping you off. The book sells for $24.95. Shipping to Iraq or Afganistan? (I am assuming here) should be about $15 or so if it is similar to shipping from states to Europe.

<BUMP>

This question never really got answered...anyone wanna elaborate or share?? I'm kinda curious myself :)

I'll try.

Unlike all Indo-European systems, taoism is not predicated on a divorce between matter and spirit. There's no dichotomy, there's no demarcation line, there's no conflict, there's no opposition. There's no "matter animated by spirit," "spirit degrading into matter," none of these goodies.

What do we have instead in taoism? Phases of the same process, aspects of the same flow... "to and fro goes the way." Tao in motion manifests as matter AND spirit; tao in stillness is unmanifested; being comes from nonbeing; nonbeing is therefore mother of spirit and matter alike, but also their child, because the road is isotropic, it goes both ways -- at all times. Tao is what tao does. Tao is what tao doesn't do. Doing equals being equals nonbeing equals non-doing. Therefore, spirit and matter are aspects of the same phenomenon, tao.

Therefore there are no spiritual lineages in taoism. A spiritual lineage would mean something different and separate from a "material" lineage of your teacher. This is not possible in taoism. Even if your teacher is a spiritual entity, he or she became that after having been a human being. E.g., the Eight Immortals are all spiritual beings but they all started out as human beings. If a spiritual entity didn't start out as a human being, it started out as an animal, plant, mineral -- but in every case material, and can go back to being that if it so desired. There's many taoist stories about a star descending on earth to live as a human being and serve as an emperor's adviser, then ascending back to heaven. Stories of powerful dragons living happily as house pets for a while. Stories of people being material in this dimension and spirits in some other, and vice versa. So all lineages in taoism are materio-spiritual, none are purely one or purely the other.

Nagas, according to my sources, are progenitors of the human race. Their spiritual aspect is the DNA. Their material aspect on earth is supposed to be the civilization they are supposed to have founded on the continent of Mu. When THAT disappeared, they migrated, to start lineages in India, Yucatan and where-not. I am not familiar with all of them, I only know the Naga-Maya lineage. The Naga-Mayas are likely to have started the taoist lineages. I will have to doublecheck when I finish sorting out my library and my memory.

Also sprach Taomeow.