Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hey folks,

Sifu Dunn asked me to let everyone know that he is experiencing some technical issues with the site but he will be back as soon as possible.

• Like 1

I just once more realized the specialness of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung method after checking out yet another Qigong form. This one  attributed to the Yang family of Tai Chi fame. This is promoted by the well known author Stuart Alve Olson via his dvd and book called,

Tai Ji Qigong. I wanted to explore it because it is very brief and that would fit my lifestyle where I have very little time to do chi kung. My medical clairvoyant pronounced it as "Wow, this is super powerful for releasing Kundalini."

I tried it for a week and had to force myself to continue. Easy movements but it just did not feel that enjoyable doing. Then I read the book that comes with it based on the Yang family secret document which was published in 1936 without their permission. It describes in detail the breathing methods that must be done with this qigong form if you are to have the benefits. It would take a total obsessive-compulsive perfectionist personality to even try to learn the complex breathing involved. We then compare that to the simple pre-posture breathing that Flying Phoenix uses which results in no trying to direct the chi or the breathing while doing the postures. A world of difference and one more major reason to treasure this system. I have added Tai Ji Qigong to my pile of discarded qigong dvds, never to be tried again.

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 2

Hey there, I hope everyone is doing well,

I have just had my first online Skype lesson with Sifu Terry and I am so deeply grateful for that. I can encourage everyone training this wonderful art to have a lesson with him some day. As for sure I don't need to tell you what a wonderful and kind teacher he is :)

The lesson contained form corrections, adjustments and some very nice extras. These have and will boost my experience!

As a side note he greets all of you guys and apologizes for not having the opportunity to answer your last questions. He still has major technical problems to use his taobums account for some reason. This has been going on for the last 2 weeks and he unfortunately has still no answers from the taobums support team...

Greetings from Germany,

Julian

• Like 3

Hey there, I hope everyone is doing well,

I have just had my first online Skype lesson with Sifu Terry and I am so deeply grateful for that. I can encourage everyone training this wonderful art to have a lesson with him some day. As for sure I don't need to tell you what a wonderful and kind teacher he is :)

The lesson contained form corrections, adjustments and some very nice extras. These have and will boost my experience!

As a side note he greets all of you guys and apologizes for not having the opportunity to answer your last questions. He still has major technical problems to use his taobums account for some reason. This has been going on for the last 2 weeks and he unfortunately has still no answers from the taobums support team...

Greetings from Germany,

Julian

Hello Julian

happy to hear you had a good time with online lesson!

I'd like to ask some questions, how many minutes did your lesson last? How many meditations did you review in that time span? Thank you

Hello folks :)

I had emailed Sifu Dunn about some questions I had while using his DVDs. He asked me to repost the email and questions here. So here it goes!

Hello Sir,­

To start off I just want to say thank yo­u for your FPCK DVDs. I have the first ­two and they are great. I've been invol­ved with some occult/esoteric practices ­and I was recommended your DVDs by an on­line acquaintance who spoke very highly ­of your products. I'll be brief and jus­t say that I really like them lol

I was thinking about making a post on th­e thread dedicated to Flying Phoenix on ­taobums but I wasn't sure how well my qu­estions would be taken. I've read most ­of the thread and didn't see the informa­tion I'm curious about.

I've quit using the practices for a few ­months now to get more grounded because ­I think that the meditations were starti­ng to trigger a kundalini awakening/risi­ng. Is this a normal response? I wasn'­t really planning on having an awakening­ so soon because, to be honest, I was st­ill just playing around and seeing what ­happened haha. Well, the occurrence rea­lly woke me up fast about what I want to­ accomplish with my practices.

I have quit most practices I was interes­ted in and have focused on a meditation ­school I enjoy and some energy workings.­ A few sigils for health, aura stuff fo­r health and the like. Mostly I'm focus­ed on meditation, awakening and healing ­now.

Flying Phoenix is something I also want ­to continue with because it seems to rea­lly fit with what I would like to accomp­lish. The issue is I don't have any typ­e of teacher or mentor in my area that d­eals with kundalini experiences so I'm c­autious as to what I'm starting.

This is quite a ramble so I'll just list­ my questions:

1). Is awakening a normal happening with­ this system?

2). FP is a healing system, is there a r­ecommended way to use the energy generat­ed to heal others? Or yourself in speci­fic areas?

3). Is it necessary to practice a martia­l art along with FP? I used to be invol­ved with a few different arts but I have­ stopped actively practicing any for abo­ut 8 years now.

4). Besides the three main storage areas­ that I've seen in the two first DVDs (e­ye and heart chakras, dan tien area) is ­there more work with chakras later on?

5). Are there any specific practices tha­t you recommend to help with the healing­ energy generated that aren't specifical­ly chi kung related?

6). What is the blue aura? Is it just v­isible chi/prana? This one is just pass­ing curiosity lol. The aura doesn't mea­n a whole lot to me, although it would b­e neat. I already know FP is amazing ju­st from feeling the energy from the stat­ic meditations. The last seated meditat­ion on disc 2 I absolutely love the feel­ing you get from moving the energy down ­the center.

I hope you are well and I would apprecia­te any help you can provide. If there a­re any questions that might relate that ­I am just unaware of I would appreciate ­a heads up. Thank you for your time and­ know that I give anyone with even a bit­ of curiosity about energy work or esote­ric practices a recommendation to get yo­ur DVDs. They really are amazing

Hello Backwards (and all FPCK subscribers--'good to be back after major tech glitches on TDB side kept me locked out of my account for 2+ weeks).

My answers to your questions are below in bold blue:

1). Is awakening a normal happening with­ this system?

I'm not sure what you mean by "awakening"; many different secular meditative movements use that term.  Do you define "awakening" to mean "enlightenment"?

2). FP is a healing system, is there a r­ecommended way to use the energy generat­ed to heal others?

As I've described in earlier posts, depending on one's background and training in Chinese holistic healing methods, TCM,  and one's predilection as a healer, the FP Healing Energy will spontaneously apply itself through your body as an instrument to help and heal others for whom one has any positive regard for.

If healing is one's calling, then one will acquire through apprenticeship or naturally discover or create the methodology to apply the healing energy to help others.  In my case, as I described in earlier posts, I had already learned the complete Neikung system of Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu including its Tui Na Acupressure methods (13 of them) and basic herbology by 1983--before I learned FP Qigong from GM Doo Wai and his Tui-Na healing methods using FP Energy and herbs starting in 1991.  In southern California, GMDW's reputation as a master herbalist preceded his reputation as a Kung Fu master despite his being featured in numerous cover articles in all the leading national martial arts magazines.

Or yourself in speci­fic areas?  

Other than practicing the FP Qigong Meditations as instructed on the DVD series (and then as corrected in classes or tutorials with me or GM Doo Wai and then learning the advanced levels of the art) there are no specific ways to use the FP Meditations to heal oneself.  You just practice the FP Meditation system to see how and if it heals oneself.  

3). Is it necessary to practice a martia­l art along with FP? I used to be invol­ved with a few different arts but I have­ stopped actively practicing any for abo­ut 8 years now.  

If it is a Doo Family/ Bok Fu Pai - related martial art, then it most definitely helps for it greatly accelerates the process of mastering the healing art.  Having proficiency in other internal arts such as Tai Chi Chuan definitely will accelerate one's progress in mastering FP Qigong.

4). Besides the three main storage areas­ that I've seen in the two first DVDs (e­ye and heart chakras, dan tien area) is ­there more work with chakras later on?

Yes. (Although I wouldn't refer any chakra except perhaps the stomach chakra (tan tien)  to be "storage areas").  To use the ayurvedic chakra model, FP Qigong activates all 7 chakras including the crown chakra or thousand pedaled lotus.  And this activation of all energy centers does  not occur "later on" but immediately in one's practice of the basic seated FP Meditations taught in Volume 2 of my DVD series. If you look carefully at the first and second Monk Serves Wine meditations (the 4th and 5th exercises taught on Vol.2), you can see--at least intuitively if not directly-- that the energy circulation involves all 7 chakras.

btw, GM DooWai never used ayervedic terms of symbolism in teaching FP Qigong.  But he often described the effects of FPCK in terms of activation of brain centers and "pushing the brain back".  So that right there means that the brow chakra (third eye) and crown chakra are activated.

5). Are there any specific practices tha­t you recommend to help with the healing­ energy generated that aren't specifical­ly chi kung related?   Technically speaking, no.  Because  every Tui-Na system that I've heard  of is a holistic art integrated with a Qigong method.  

6). What is the blue aura? Is it just v­isible chi/prana? This one is just pass­ing curiosity lol. The aura doesn't mea­n a whole lot to me, although it would b­e neat. I already know FP is amazing ju­st from feeling the energy from the stat­ic meditations. The last seated meditat­ion on disc 2 I absolutely love the feel­ing you get from moving the energy down ­the center.

The blue aura is a by-product of proper FP Qigong practice, which does NOT take that long to manifest consistently.

It is the same as the FP Healing Energy that I've described as having "spontaneous" properties.  I've hinted in prior postings as to how the blue FP Energy can manifest.  It is up to each FP practitioner to become the blue aura.

I hope you are well and I would apprecia­te any help you can provide. If there a­re any questions that might relate that I am just unaware of I would appreciate ­a heads up. Thank you for your time and­ know that I give anyone with even a bit­ of curiosity about energy work or esote­ric practices a recommendation to get yo­ur DVDs. They really are amazing

Thanks for your good wishes, backward.  I'm glad you are finding the FP Qigong exercises to be effective and "amazing."  Each person finds different FP Meditations as being most effective and enjoyable.  Enjoy your continuing exploration!

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hello Julian

happy to hear you had a good time with online lesson!

I'd like to ask some questions, how many minutes did your lesson last? How many meditations did you review in that time span? Thank you

Hello Pitisukha,

sorry for taking so long to answer you.

I booked a one hour lesson, but the first appointment was missed as there was an emergency at Sifu Terry's DVD duplication vendor's plant. I am saying this, because he actually was so generous to give me at least 30 minutes of extra time because of the missed appointment and a little bit of waiting time on my side. I am so grateful for it and can encourage every practitioner to have a lesson some day...

So during the lesson we went through Moonbeam, Bending the bows, and MSW#1. But I would say we spent most of the time on Moonbeam.

Greetings,

Julian

Hi

Is it ok to do FP right after or before doing mantra work/meditation?  thanks-

Hi Growant,

In general, it's okay to practice FP Qigong before doing any other form of meditation or yoga, including mantric yoga--in that FP Qigong will not interfere with other practices.

The only reason to wait a spell after completing an FP Qigong practice is to allow its healing effects to run their course and have maximum effect.  Practice of proper meditation may enhance or prolong the healing effects of FP Qigong.  However, lesser practices or martial arts practice, of course, will shut down the effects of the FP Qigong.  As stated in previous posts, the FP Healing Energy is a pure healing energy that is incompatible with and cannot be used to empower martial art.

As for practicing FP Qigong right after doing mantric yoga:  in general, I don't believe that one needs to wait.  (I'm assuming, of course, that your mantra work is of the positive and spiritual nature.  (If otherwise, of course, there really is no point in--i.e., no lasting benefit from--practicing FP Qigong per my post citing Nagarjuna.)

Best,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com_chikung_catalog.html

• Like 1

To second what Sifu Terry said.

I have a friend who like me does Transcendental Meditation for over 40 years on a daily basis and when he dabbled in doing some Flying Phoenix right before he would meditate he said he went deeper in meditation.

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I just posted on Youtube this preview clip of Volume 4 of my Chi Kung for Health dvd series teaching the capstone meditation to the FP Qigong system, which I produced in 2004.

I'm only about 7 years late with this Youtube clip...but those close to me know of the many obstacles over the years that have kept me from promoting this wonder art to the fullest extent.  Well, I'm finally getting around to it.  

At any rate, enjoy!  

--and I hope that this inspires everyone to progress through the art and master this capstone form.  As per my early postings and postings by FP practitioners like ridingthrox in Arizona:  once this form is learned, practice of all the preceding FP Qigong exercises are subsumed, and they do not have to practiced to maintain peak  immunity and vitality.

Thank you for sharing this link with all your students, friends, and loved ones.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Available at:   www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Thanks Sifu Terry for all your work!

If I can be of help in any way (like video editing, ecc..) let me know..

• Like 1

For almost a year now I have been enjoying the long form, almost daily, along with the first three advanced monk serves wine meditations, with much enjoyment. Even though the other meditations are still important, when the time in a day is limited, the long form seems sufficient.

• Like 3

I have missed doing the long form standing med a few days over the last 3 years ... I make a 10  hour drive to Cal and the 10 hour return  monthly.  those days are often too tiring to do the long form hence two days a month missed ...  sometimes i manage a double dose on  one  day and tell myself that makes up for the missed days :D

I cannot recommend strongly enough this sort of continuing regimen for the performance of standing long form ... at this time i have almost constant buzzing/throbbing palms, arms, bai hui  and my breath has deepened  pushing 3 breaths per min during performance.

I wish I were a better 'salesperson'  I do mention it to anyone who will listen  :wacko:

I also do 4 of the Advance Seated meditations ... one or more per day  ... it is strange that the big sleep med 50 20 10 is a wake up for me if i do it late in the evening . the AS med  (80 70 50 30)  is more likely to lead to a good night's sleep. 

practice practice practice  FPCHQG ...

peace

• Like 2

This is the same for me as well. :)  In fact, all of these meditations energize me and leave me alert for many hours. However, the alert nature is not alarming, but a feeling of calm relaxation, comfort. This is also true if a basic Wu Chi meditation is performed, or other postures, such as the seated Earth posture, Sky prayer, etc, are executed.

... it is strange that the big sleep med 50 20 10 is a wake up for me if i do it late in the evening . 

• Like 1

Sifu Terry

Sorry for the long delay in responding. Thank you so much for your answers to my questions. I guess I'll just keep plugging away and see what happens! :)

• Like 2

A Mercury-going-direct Greeting and Invitation to all FPCK practitioners:

If you have worked through the the Flying Phoenix Meditations on Volumes 1 through 5 and Volume 7, and feel that:

(1)  you have gained proficiency in all the material, 

(2)  feel that your meditative movements are relatively frictionless--such that they do themselves, and 

(3)  have reached the "saturation" point on each FP exercise--i.e., have reached what you feel is a maximum plateau of energization from each exercise through diligent practice (have practiced "Bending the Bows" enough times with sets of 18 repetitions, know from direct tangible experience the specific energizing effects of all the other basic Standing Meds. on Volume 1, 3, (Monk Gazing at Moon, Monk Holding Peach, Monk Holding Pearl) and 

(4)  have done all the Monk Serves Wine meditations regularly for one year or more in sets of 7,

(5)  are interested in learning the 22-movement Monk Serves Wine meditation form...

...and feel that you are ready for more advanced teaching as to how to use the FP System as taught on the DVD series, please contact me for either in-person or online private lessons.  For example, there are training formulas for the MSW meditations besides the basic "7 reps per set" that enables one to practice more of them at one sitting.

As per my previous postings: for practitioners who have learned the Long Form Standing Meditation of Volume 4, I am giving corrections and remedial lessons in that capstone exercise and once that Form is corrected, I am starting to teach the five very powerful Bok Fu Pai Meditations that were on the old Volume 6 videocassette (now off the market).

For critiques/reviews of my private lessons, please contact Fu_doggy, ridingtheox, MelloMarques, CrunchyChocolate555, or Joolian.

Enjoy Your practice!

Sifu Terry Dunn

PM here or email:   [email protected]

• Like 2

The other day I applied Bending the Bows for eighteen repetitions and the experience was most enjoyable. This set, sped up a little bit, used up about an hour. Normally I apply five extremely slow repetitions, taking about thirty minutes. Would it be wise to slow the eighteen repetition format down?

Thank-you Sifu Terry for the preparation guidelines for more advanced teachings. :)  This structure is most helpful.

I certainly recommend  sifu's teaching methods and interactions.  They certainly kick started my  qi gong practice 4 years ago,  I regret not being up for SoCal traffic to visit his classes again.  The inspiration provided also continues to contribute to my desire and experimentation with the FP meditations and practice.

peace

neu ban muon hoa bin, hoa bin co voi ban lap tuc ...

if you want peace, peace is with you immediately .... Thich Nhat Hanh

• Like 2

Sifu Terry, from your previous post, does it mean then that there are no plans to release Volume 6 at all?

Just a note regarding my experiences with private sessions from Sifu Terry. Over the years I've had the good fortune to have private sessions with a number of quality masters of Asian arts. However, the sessions I've had with Sifu Terry stand above and apart from them all. His extensive experience, breath of knowledge and genuine enthusiasm for the arts makes him the very best master I have had the pleasure of receiving instruction from. If you are even remotely interested in improving your practice, I can highly recommend a private session with Sifu.

• Like 1

Sifu Terry, from your previous post, does it mean then that there are no plans to release Volume 6 at all?

Hi Shri Chi,

Sorry for the long delay in replying to your post;  I had a long and laborious past 2 weeks looking for a new abode.

Answer:  I do plan to produce a new Vol.6 of the Chi Kung For Health DVD series, but it will provide instruction in meditations different from the original ones that I produced in 1995 in the Stonehenge version.  I haven't decided exactly what exercises will go into the new Vol.6.  But I will produce a new one that will be authentic and original material not found in any of the other volumes.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Hello FP practitioners,

I've been slow to post some recent FP meditative and healing experiences due to 2 weeks of searching for a new residence.  

I.  A week ago Thursday, for a variety of reasons I had to work very late into the morning, had to get up early, and wound up getting less than 3.5 hours of sleep.  Instead of catching up on the sleep as soon as possible, I took the opportunity to test the Long Form standing meditation (taught on Volume 4) to determine whether it in particular and FP Qigong in general can replace sleep or heal the effects of sleep deprivation on a 1 hour of practice : 1 hour of lost sleep basis--or on a more efficient ratio.  So I practiced three consecutive rounds of the Long Form Meditation (officially called "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation" [Fei Feng San Gung]), moving more slowly in each successive round. 

The result:  After practicing three rounds of the Long Form Meditation (taking 8 min. 10 min. and 12 min. to practice each one, respectively, I confirmed Grandmaster Doo Wai's explanation in 1991 that this FP Meditation--and therefore the FP Qigong system as a whole-- does not replace sleep in the least.  I did confirm, however, when one does sleep, having practiced 3 rounds of the Long Form induces tremendously deep, sound and restful sleep--at least in terms of my personal experience.  I woke up 10 hours alert completely rejuvenated and feeling pristine and mildly euphoric.

II.  Practicing three of the Monk Serves Wine seated Meditations in one sitting is an invaluable yogic experience because of no less than six different benefits, which I will disclose at a later time, and that I've begun to explain in the classes and private tutorials that I teach.

*I know it takes a substantial  investment of time, energy and shen-focus, but my recommendation for guaranteed penetration into the effects of FP Qigong is to practice the Standing Long Form Meditations 3x in a session, and to practice any 3 of the Monk Serves Wine meditations also in one sitting (which will usually not take more than 70 to 90 minutes).

Good Practicing.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

home from hospital/surgery last thurs couple days in hospital  ...  first attempts at FPCK  were less than great.   Breath is short and still lots of internal pressure from the CO2 in my abdomen.   Today  I did  ASMSW 4  pretty fast as my breath stayed short.   I hope to keep doing a little more each day.  Still not up for the long form and certain I will have to go pretty quickly the first few times I do practice it.

good to be back at practice even if it is short and modified significantly 

• Like 1