Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

It dows not really matter who is that person.

For example I was said that moves must not be so slow. And I agree bc in standing moves I feel uncomfortable doing it so slow and I posted the clip before where you could see me jerking. That person says that horse stance should be shoulder width apart, not that wide. Otherwisw it blocks flow of qi. And I do with more narrow stance than ST says on DVD.

Also FP and SYG could be combined in group of meds and done together. And info about how many levels there and more other but no that much. This is examples how people can teach differently learning from the same teacher and how it is to learn from DVD. But most important is energetic influence of teacher on the student whcih no any DVD can do. And that person confirmed that but occasionally. And you can find ST words in this thread how greatly GMDW affected his training.

So what do you propose,find the GM and become his students?Or take advice from a mysterious stranger,I hope its not that Sillium guy or whatever his username is.

• Like 1

So what do you propose,find the GM and become his students?Or take advice from a mysterious stranger,I hope its not that Sillium guy or whatever his username is.

I do not propose you anything, cat. It is up to you what you can get from this discussion.

First, we need more info on the system and listen to our teachers here. And practice.

But there is no information is given even about how many levels there in FP and what they for. It is not fair at least and I still do not know whether I should continue practice FP or leave it. I just share my thoughts and wanted to hear other people experiences in FP. I used to quit it few times and started next day again then mixed with SYG or just only SYG, then only FP, SYG again and so on. I just expected to get more basic info here about FPCK and then make decision. That's why I had to ask somebody else about system. And I just realized how live teacher is important. I had the query about how we could get other levels of FPCK and how many are "enough" for all benefits and make decision but there is no answer. I just do not know myself.

Just was talking to friend of mine on Skype about "transmission" and so on. He has huge experience in all this stuff. Did not talk to him for long time. He says the calmness of mind is most important and his advice is to do pranayama first for sometime and some basic qigong afterwards. Otherwise it would not work. We'll try this way. I'll be doing yin yoga by Sarah Powers and some basic FP meds

Edited by Antares

I do not propose you anything, cat. It is up to you what you can get from this discussion.

First, we need more info on the system and listen to our teachers here. And practice.

But there is no information is given even about how many levels there in FP and what they for. It is not fair at least and I still do not know whether I should continue practice FP or leave it. I just share my thoughts and wanted to hear other people experiences in FP. I used to quit it few times and started next day again then mixed with SYG or just only SYG, then only FP, SYG again and so on. I just expected to get more basic info here about FPCK and then make decision. That's why I had to ask somebody else about system. And I just realized how live teacher is important. I had the query about how we could get other levels of FPCK and how many are "enough" for all benefits and make decision but there is no answer. I just do not know myself.

I can see where you are coming from because I was in that same place of mind when I started with FP.Shortly after that I decided instead of questioning the system or Terry Dunn to simply master Level 1 to the best of my ability and then start thinking about levels 2,3,4,5,6...IF there are levels beyond 2 because I remember TD saying that he released about 60% of the system on the DVDs Edited by taiji_cat

I have been doing level 1 vols. 1 & 2 for 6 months every day, cat. Not only questioning. :) And certainly I want to know what I am doing and what for. This qigong does not rely on taoist map. And as legend says "only pure ones will benefit".

What is impurity? It is not moralistic sense, I am sure. Impurity is in body, speach and mind - energy blockages, right?

My friend recommended pranayamas. And they purge energy/nervous system for sure. What supposedly should calm the mind.

But I personally do not like yoga as much as like qigong approach. So, if we discern taoist texts what we will see there?

That's said that first we should cultivate the essence - roots of the tree. Kidneys. Right? I do not see how this chikung helps with kidneys. I personally have kidney defficiency and I think that's what I should work with. I have a DVD with qigong designed to replenish kidneys. Probably I have to practice it along with FP. I thought to shift for yoga but I do not want to quit FP as I have been doing it for a long time.

Ant,

So many practices you have but you cannot just find one that suites your needs?

Very interesting and weird views on things, I find it hard that your friend cannot give you the answer if he knows the Doo Family systems (methods) its real simple. I guess though if you are not happy with the answers or even doing the meditations its hard to continue but sometimes the answers usually are from doing the practice to some extent. There is plenty of Kidney training in FP for example when you bend forwards and towards the ground will activate and massage the kidneys as well open up the spine (vertebrae), stretch the leg tendons and its meridians. This is the standing moving side, for the seated side all you have to do is breath deep (dan tian) and it will nourish the kidneys as u accumulate Qi over time. You can also massage your kidneys with your palms like in SYG we have a self body massage. Anyway be still and silent and it all comes together!

• Like 3

Yes, to many practices... I have many DVDs and books. And my friend told me 6 months ago to go with pranayama only. He says that untill I can control the breath I won't benefit from qigong but I began FP practice and I would say I benefited from it actually.

And today he said it again but he is yoga man and he does some qigong as well. He does not know about Doo family. But he says that pranayam is shortest way to calmness and to the essence and only from there any other path is open. May be he is right. And

Anyway be still and silent and it all comes together!

In yoga they do pranayma prior to dhyana - meditation. In BFP there are loads of good things and they are working another way from yoga. Yes, there are bend and twists in vol.3 of FP which I have begun to do and it should be good for kidneys. So, you are right. But some people say to do only FP or SYG. That's where I screwed up myself changing one for another. May be just go on with FP, there is one med which can be done seated in vol.1 and same as SYG1 but with another breath %. Or I can do SYG1 after FP meds. I think it the better rather than to add yoga stuff. Will try to seat more and breath.

LOL if I pick one I loose benefits from one or another. I meant to do only level 1 of FP as there are some good for kidney essence meds and SYG is totaly static and seated in the beginning. Or I can do only vols. 3 & 4 of FP + SYG. Do you think just seating is enough? Why not to benefit from some FP meds if I have time for it? You say only one med. of SYG per month. Right?

Sifu Garry - as you go back and forth with Ant there are a lot of good things that you say that a lot of us benefit from.

Again, thanks for your generous contributions to the thread!

• Like 4

It dows not really matter who is that person.

For example I was said that moves must not be so slow. And I agree bc in standing moves I feel uncomfortable doing it so slow and I posted the clip before where you could see me jerking. That person says that horse stance should be shoulder width apart, not that wide. Otherwisw it blocks flow of qi. And I do with more narrow stance than ST says on DVD.

Also FP and SYG could be combined in group of meds and done together. And info about how many levels there and more other but no that much. This is examples how people can teach differently learning from the same teacher and how it is to learn from DVD. But most important is energetic influence of teacher on the student whcih no any DVD can do. And that person confirmed that but occasionally. And you can find ST words in this thread how greatly GMDW affected his training.

Antares,

I thought I would give confirmation that in practicing FP Qigong and other Bok Fu Pai internal arts, the learning and the cultivation is intensified and accelerated by being in the presence of GM Doo Wai. Pretty much everyone in our training group in the 1990's experienced this. GM Doo Wai could and did psychically "prime" or expand one's capacity to conduct internal energy. He did this on several occasions where each student would slowly fall into a somnambulist state of near-sleep while feeling the internal heat of the body rise to incredible and startling heights. Call this a type of energy amplification. But this is not to be confused with any type of spiritual transmission--as in high Buddhism, for example. Not just in BFP internal arts but also in Tao Tan Pai, the high reservoir of energy cultivated can be transferred to another person in need of healing or deserving of initiation. Those few TTP practitioners who mastered the 9 Flowers and the 5 Dragons can transmit the energy cultivated by the 5 Dragons neigung to resuscitate or heal a very weakened and debilitated person. Share K. Lew told us we were allowed to do this in order to save someone's life. The energy could be transferred through specific points on the recipient's body. The Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing energy, as I have described throughout this thread, can bring back to life a creature or a human being by non-specific transfer of the FP Energy--that is by touching the recipient anywhere or passing one's hand over the person almost anywhere...and the transfer of energy is complete and sufficient, as if it had a consciousness of its own, or that a Greater Consciousness (i.e., Heaven) was conducting the energy transfer.

I disagree with what this other person told you on these specific points:

1) "For example I was said that moves must not be so slow. "

Absolutely Wrong. The teaching for the moving FP Qigong meditations is to move so slowly that you imagine you are moving "at the speed of shifting sand dune." If the movement's are jerky and uncomfortable, that is because you have a lot of tension in your body and simply need to practice lots, lots more. Besides practicing 3 systems of Kung Fu for 20 years before starting to train with GM Doo Wai, I had practiced Tai Chi Chuan and Liu He Ba Fa for 12 years. So I took to the moving meditations of the FP Qigong system rather easily...like a kid to cotton candy. Similarly, Ridingtheox had 20 years of Tai Chi experience and he was able to get dramatic energizing results by starting with the FP Long Form STanding Meditation on Volume 4 (find his comments about a year ago on the thread). But if you do not have similar background you will not have the same relaxation and fluidity in your FP practice. Moreover, if you do not move slowly enough, the FP alchemy will not kick in and you will not "see the world through your palm" as GM Doo Wai described. And there are other indications of correct or incorrect practice that I can discern if you put your practice on video----as Sifu Garry has suggested.

The speed at which I demonstrate the moving FPmeditations on these DVD's that I produced in 2003 is NOT as slow as the speed at which GM Doo Wai taught them to me nor at the speed at which his senior student Bob Eberhardt taught them to me. For example, I learned "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" from Bob Eberhardt--with GM Doo Wai in my house supervising, btw--at a speed much, much slower than the speed at which I demonstrate the Meditation on Volume 3. of my DVD series. I have this and other lessons in 1991 on video and may post the footage on my website in the future just to emphasize this point of practicing at the slowest speed possible.)

2) And I agree bc in standing moves I feel uncomfortable doing it so slow and I posted the clip before where you could see me jerking.

As I said, you simply need to practice more until your movements are totally relaxed, smooth and frictionless. And that may take weeks, months, or years.

3) That person says that horse stance should be shoulder width apart, not that wide. Otherwise it blocks flow of qi. And I do with more narrow stance than ST says on DVD.

The width of the stances that I demonstrate on the DVD series are the width of the stances that I had practiced under GM Doo Wai's supervision for 6 years. They are right for me as a 5'11'' tall 155 lb. person with relatively longer legs than most people. The width of stances on Monk Gazing At Moon, Monk Holding the Pearl are one shoulder's width apart as seen on the DVD. The width of Monk Holding Peach is two or 2.5 shoulder's widths apart. Doing this meditation at one shoulder's width is WRONG. Period. Doing "Wind Through Treetops" and "Wind Above the Clouds" at shoulder's width is also WRONG. The most narrow that you should do these is 1.5 shoulder's width. Otherwise, you are negating the effects of these 2 meditations. Again, for better circulation through better stretching and flexibility, do them with a stance that is 2 shoulder widths wide. The only thing blocking the flow of Qi is the indolence and laziness of a beginner who cannot commit to following the most basic and easy-to-follow instructions to develop proper FP Energy cultivation--and yet thinks he knows everything about the FP System through hearsay of disreputable sources.

••• 3.75 years into this discussion thread, I don't like to have to repeat myself on basics that have worked properly for me and others for 22+ years.

For all the moving standing FP meditations seen on the DVD series , the width of the stances I demonstrate are correct. If you want to confirm that the width of my stances is correct, carefully compare them to the stances demonstrated by GM Doo Wai's in the 9 Advanced Standing FP Meditations, if you happen to own them. Equalizing our bodily proportions, my stances are the same as the Grandmaster's.

**It is true that once your kung-fu is good, and you have great root and flexibility through your core surrounding the tan tien--that is, like myself or Sifu Hearfield, then doing the standing moving FP Meditations (Wind through Treetops, Wind Above the Clouds, Moonbeam on Volume 3, and Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation on Volume 4) at a narrower width of 1.5 shoulder's width is sufficient and conducive to good total-body chi circulation. But it is my personal teaching philosophy that if beginners practice FP using wider stances, then they will develop greater flexibility, balance and leg strength, are able to relax their entire body sooner, and so develop better energy permeation accrue greater health benefits in the long run. In this following respect, FP Qigong is no different than any other internal art such as Tai Chi Chuan: In Tai Chi Chuan Da Wen ("Questions and Answers on Tai Chi ") by Chen Wei Ming (translated by Master Benjamin Lo and my late friend Robert W. Smith), Master Chen states that a longer bow stance and naturally more stable and develops greater strength and balance and should be practiced by beginners. Anyone with any level in Chinese internal arts knows this. You go from large frame, to small frame, to void or no frame.

I don't really care who is telling you these new tips about FP Qigong, but he sounds like a beginner because you will NOT get good results if you do all the FP Standing Meditations at one shoulders' width. Especially if you do not have a strong Kung Fu background to begin with.

As for how many levels there are of FP Qigong, GM Doo Wai never emphasized that. He taught me a vast Flying Phoenix internal system, and I have organized it in my own way in order to teach it effectively through my classes and on DVD media. For the first 2+ years of this thread, I described the FP Qigong system on the DVD series (plus about 16 additional (unpublished) seated meditations as the entire FPHHCM System that cultivates the tangible, distinctive and blue-appearing FP Healing energy). I purposefully left out any mention of the Advanced FP Qigong Meditations because I only wanted to focus on the cultivation Flying Phoenix Healing Energy. For the 9 Advanced FP Standing meditations demonstrated on video by GM Doo Wai crosses the threshold from healing art to martial art. Until Sifu Garry Hearfield encouraged me to teach the 9 Advanced FP Meditations, I had no intention of doing so. For no one is ready for that level of FP--not even my students in Los Angeles. It's obvious to me given the amount and quality of feedback from FP practitioiners on this thread, that no one in the world thus far can explain the effects of "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" on Volume 3--a much shorter and simpler standing moving meditation than the capstone standing Long Form Meditation on Volume 4.

My perogative as a teacher designated by GM Doo Wai is to keep the teaching of the Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Meditations simple and orthodox. And I am not going to discuss yet on this thread the other levels of the FP Qigong system that no one is ready for. I will say that I practice the entire basic level of FP Qigong including a dozen more seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations not seen on the DVD series, the 9 Advanced FP Standing Meditations, and the Red Lotus Flying Phoenix. Practitioners who want to learn these other Flying Phoenix arts will have to become my students in Los Angeles to do so.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 6

In the videos when Sifu Terry sits in half-lotus the right foot is placed in the crease between thigh and lower leg. Is this precise position important for meditations?

In the past I used to put my right foot near my left hip, over my thigh, so my right knee can rest over my left foot...P

Hi Pitisuhka,

It sounds like you might have somewhat tight leg muscles or hip joints if you're doing a half lotus with right foot close to the left hip in order to get your right knee over the left foot. I typically do half lotus with right foot over the left knee and right knee over the left foot. Big esoteric tip, if you can manage it (optional, certainly not mandatory): sometimes I do half lotus in orthodox Tibetan style: with the left foot tucked way in so that the left heel presses on the perineum. Sifu Garry is correct, as long as you are very comfortable and relaxed in your lotus position, it doesn't matter if you do half-lotus or full-lotus, or a variation on half-lotus. Just make sure that you're relaxed and comfortable. And again, there is no problem whatsoever in doing the FP seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations with your back to a wall or propped up by a piece of furniture.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Was reading this blog again and found Terry's words about "transmission" (projection of qi) from GMDW.

The question is why not to be fair and not to mention it when people asking about this? I do not believe it can be complete system without seeing GMDW in person.

I just posted additional commentary about "projection of Qi" from GM Doo Wai. It is real phenomenon and it increases the recipient student's capacity to conduct energy cultivated by BFP internal arts. However, in the case of FP Qigong, "transmission" is not the same as "Qi projection" or what I just described in my post as an "energy initiation". FP Qigong is a spiritual healing Yoga that enables one to channel the higher intelligence that created the FP Qigong, a spiritual source. GM Doo Wai himself described the pinnacle of FP Qigong practice as being able to tap into this "trunk" of spiritual energy, a spiritual energy channel. Developing the healing power, psychic power, and higher consciousness from FP Qigong is of course most effective and more efficient--faster-- if one learns directly from the source of the FP knowledge, GM Doo Wai, as I did.

The ability to tap into that "trunk" to do great healing work evolves as one's FP practice advances but I do not believe that it is guaranteed by any type of transmission. For I've seen other students in my cadre in the 1990's get far more energy transmissions from GMDW than I did, yet they have nothing in terms of healing ability because they never had the heart for it. The ability to tap into the FP Healing Energy channel depends on one's personal predilection as a healer and a teacher--i.e., whether one is karmically fit for it. If one has prepared oneself through diligent and proper FP Qigong practice to receive it, the transmission of FP Healing Power comes from above and that is an annointment more powerful than the psychic transmission of yogic knowledge or healing skill or "projection of energy" from a man. In this respect, Sifu Garry is correct. But without the correct teaching of the FP art by GM Doo Wai, we have nothing with which to join that trunk.

The channeling of the remarkable--if not miraculous--FP Healing Energy aside, GMDW told me that (and I have this recorded on videotape) just mastering ONE of the Flying Phoenix Meditations (as presented in the DVD series) will enable one to "bring back" (to life). You may take that, of course, with 18 shakers of salt and declare that I belong in a lunatic asylum. But that is straight reportage of what GM Doo Wai said about the basic level of the FP Qigong system, which my experience has proven to be true. I may at some point publish that video footage of GMDW explaining that.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 7

Tank you for the clarifications Sifu Terry!I sure hope you will upload videos with the GM because he is one incredible individual,even watching his cooking videos always brings a smile to my face :-)

On the side note I want to ask if doing 6+hours a day will somehow overload my system.Thank you

Thanks for final clarifications. :) This is more clear than ever before. FP seems to be really poferful magic system with celestial healing energy. I feel I have to go on working with my meds. I think to work more on couple basic standing and seated meds as you say that even mastering one is enough for channeling to the healing Flying Phoenix CK energy.

But doing BTB smoothly and with shifting dune speed with double shoulder stance is real challenge I must say

Edited by Antares

GMDW has a presence about him cause his energy is high level, this isnt a transmission like you guys that have done kunlun with max where he lays his hands on your head and said now u have it. No use in FP meditation if all u need is a silly transmission to make u believe u have his energy awakened, u need to put in the work, you need to cultivate, you need to experience many things which a transmission will never give you from a sect of some sort. We are all healers we can all heal, we all have that inside us its up to u to make it happen. No better power than the life force of Dao!

• Like 1

I have GMDW saying exactly what Sifu Terry has said just ONE meditation is all you need if you want to experience it but if you wanna go the full path imagine what the rest will do and like Terry says he wont teach the higher levels unless its in person and both he and I know why and that goes with all BFP methods of internal work. Great post Si Hing!

• Like 1

Hello Sifu Terry,

Your recent comments are well appreciated and of great value. I just want to say without going into detail that my medical intuitive has seen the channeled energy from above that you mentioned. He was testing the meditations from the set that some call the 690 AD meditations of GM Doo Wai family. Here is what he described:

Saw you completely filled with a beautiful white light that was blessing you and working on your brain. Balancing all the brain functions. Looked very powerful.

So it should be very helpful in accelerating your growth.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the help!

I've started today the first of two weeks of Monk Holding Pearl and MSW1.

My heart seems to like very much the seated one! :D

However to me is more difficult to calm the mind with moving meditations..

This is not over night kung fu as SG says. It takes time. The more you do the more quiet your mind. It can go slow. It purges the mind slowly removing layers of negativity (tensions). Also you gonna do moving standing ones - I would recommend!

Edited by Antares

:)But doing BTB smoothly and with shifting dune speed with double shoulder stance is real challenge I must say

likewise, i was obsessed with BTB in the beginning. It has a somewhat "different" effect on me, but it was so tiring, i decided to drop it and study the long form instead.After a year, when i tried BTB again, it came in so easy i was shocked. it is a challenge now for you, because your body has not learnt the instictive correct standing posture in powersaving mode. maybe, you might want to do do some less challenging FPCK form for sometime, and return to BTB. I am far behind seeing any blue light, but especially BTB is my second really working meditation.It gives so much blissful pleasure that the slower i do it, i don't want to end it. But mine works with 1,5 shoulder width, probably i am on a side track, but who cares, i am transforming to a much better soul for my heart criteria, this is one of the best working teaching i can get so far away from the living Sifus.

• Like 3