Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

It takes me about 12-15 minutes normally to complete each med on vol.1. And 15-20 on vol.2.

Now I decided to do numbers 1,2 and 4 from vol.1 following by 2 MSW+warm up meds . It takes about 1 hour 45 minutes. I believe it is better to spend more time for each med to allow it to light on alchemical process. Just my opinion/query.

Eugene,

It is, of course, better to take more time to do each individual FP Meditation and your taking 12-15 min. for each standing and 20 min. for each seated meditation is a good standard. And for absolute beginners, I still recommend starting with one's two favorite basic standing and two basic seated meditations practiced every day. And adding a new seated and new standing meditation after 2 to 3 months of practice.

To be more specific about my recommendation to spend less total time in daily practice of Vols 1 and 2: For those people with tight and busy schedules: after one has established the practice of all the Basic Meditations in Volumes 1 and 2 and can do them from memory including the breath controls (typically 6 to 12 months or more of practice) one can shorten the time spent on each standing FP meditation to 5 to 10 minutes and also shorten the time to do the 3 seated Warmup Meditations in Volume 2. (The last three Monk Serves Wine meditations of Vol.2 should be done as slowly as possible, in no less than 20 minutes' time to complete 7 repetitions for each.)

The process of doing more FP Meditations in one session thereby doing more of the breath control sequences has its own unique benefits in terms of internal conditioning. And this is true of all the internals arts in the Bok Fu Pai tradition. I believe Sifu Hearfield will concur.

But by all means, Eugene, stick with your very good practice schedule that you've described here.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

The name HEAVENLY is PURE! ;)

Thank you again, Si-hing Garry. Yes, by its name, which is functional as well as symbolic, "Flying Phoenix Heaven's Work" (a closer translation of "Fei Feng San Gung") is a Dao Yin system that purifies the spirit as well as effects self-healing by perfectly integrating body and mind.

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

I love your updates Sifu, and I agree - FP is the fucking shit... haha. We sure appreciate your taking the time to answer our questions personally, and without pretense! I gotta admit, I enjoy seeing qigong masters use profanity (or at least repeating it, not pretending there's some absolute darkness to the words), there's something refreshing to it! It might turn some people away (including myself from five years ago, when I belonged to a puritan sect), but as the Dao de Jing says, great straightness seems crooked. As I practice FP and read more Daoist and Buddhist literature, I'm seeing that many things I took for crooked may have been straight, and vice versa! I feel very fortunate to be on this journey.

I have one quick question: are there any mantras or chants that you would recommend for FP practitioners? I've been searching for mantras associated with Puxian (the same way the Great Compassion Mantra is associated with Avalokitesvara), to no avail.

Hi Alleswasderfallist,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no mantric practice associated with Flying Phoenix Qigong. GM Doo Wai never mentioned any mantric practice or yoga during 6 years I studied with him. Good luck with your research into this aspect of Ehrmeishan Buddhism. And please let us know what you find!

Glad you enjoyed my relaying of my student's profane, generation-specific praise of FP Qigong: "FP is the fucking shit!"

Regards,

Sifu Terry

?

I just wonder if there any historical data on the Doo family and methods? When I mention the system people asking sometime and doubt the lineage and system and I do not know what to answer. They say if it is not described in Dao Zhan then it's new age stuff and lineage is not legit. I am not that much interested in history rather than in efficiency of the system but nevertheless it would be interesting to know more about any historical data. Garry mentioned something of the Wudang roots of the BFSYG. And only I know that FP was created by FDD during his travelling throughout China and Tibet and has some yogic influence and different alchemy from SYG. SYG seems to have more purely Taoist alchemy and FP is different in some ways. Sifu Terry mentioned earlier that FP does not rely on Taoist map but suits well the theory of the Book of Changes.

Some people PM and ask me about system. Guys, I dunno. You can ask your questions here. I have very small experience in SYG and I can't say I am expert in FP. But I would advise to begin with one method and do not mix it with anything else. I think it took me time to understand it. I think these methods first heal all deviations which were in personal karma. Including those ones from wrong methods done before and clears up blockages.

I sleep def better after I left all other methods and stopped mixing things. :)

Edited by CrunchyChocolate555

Thank you again, Si-hing Garry. Yes, by its name, which is functional as well as symbolic, "Flying Phoenix Heaven's Work" (a closer translation of "Fei Feng San Gung") is a Dao Yin system that purifies the spirit as well as effects self-healing by perfectly integrating body and mind.

Sifu Terry

Thanks for clarification! I think that's what many people want to clarify finally. FP Qigong seems to be DAO YIN healing system in BFP arts which has its own healing aspects but as far as I know Dao Yin is not the same transformative as Alchemy (Nei Dan) in Taoist arts.

Crunchy - there is some good info on lineage on the first four pages of this thread, though it doesn't answer your question on the BF name.

BFP was a family system, it was never meant to be released to the public so there is no records apart the white tiger within shaolin & dao gar. A kung fu sifu i know said that there is a white tiger hall in one of the wudang temples, Im not sure which one. The main thing is, does it bring results? You could have a system that has traced its roots and still u can get beat fighting, you could also not get benefits as much as what you are doing. The most important thing is to try and see if this system is for you if not move on. :)

• Like 2

Lots of posts to read. To contribute, I have been busy on my mountaineering training. Got to tell you it's very difficult. Before the training starts I see to it I do FP, this gives me proper mindset. FP affects my mood and attitude and more grounded. My mind is optimistic, tougher, and happier. This mindset is priceless. :)

This in one testimony that FP affects mental health for the better. Aside form physical health, enhance awareness, etc

• Like 4

Thanks for clarification! I think that's what many people want to clarify finally. FP Qigong seems to be DAO YIN healing system in BFP arts which has its own healing aspects but as far as I know Dao Yin is not the same transformative as Alchemy (Nei Dan) in Taoist arts.

Hi Eugene,

Have you experienced the transformative effects of what you call Nei Dan, or "Alchemy in Taoist Arts"? if so, what style of Taoist alchemic art have you practiced?

I ask because I think you may have too a narrow definition of" Alchemic (Nei dan) Taoist arts" and thus are making confused divisive distinctions of something that is actually unified under "Taoist Alchemic Yoga."

I use the term Dao Yin like most people to mean Taoist Yoga. That includes all systems of Taoist yogas:

Bok Fu Pai is a Taoist system. It's internal arts are Taoist alchemic arts.

Just as the Neikung of Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu dating back 23 generations (and attributed to Lu Tung Pin)--also a system that I teach--is Taoist internal alchemy.

Just seeking further clarification about your thinking as reflected in your statement "Dao Yin is not the same transformative as Alchemy (Nei Dan) in Taoist arts."

Sifu Terry

• Like 2

Have yoru experienced the transformative effects of what you call Nei Dan, or "Alchemy in Taoist Arts"? if so, what style of Taoist alchemic art have you practiced?

Certainly, I have not. Otherwise I would not ask you questions here. :) But I am referring to the theory. We have to use appropriate terms as we regard taoist alchemy arts here. The definition and purposes of Tao Yin are:

The main goal of Tao Yin is to create balance between internal and external energies and to revitalize the body, mind and spirit, developing strength and flexibility in muscles and tendons.

A typical Tao Yin exercise will involve movement of the arms and body in time with controlled inhalation and exhalation. Each exercise is designed with a different goal in mind, for example calmative effects or expanded lung capacity.

Some of the exercises act as a means of sedating, some as a stimulant and a tonic, whilst others help in the activation, harnessing and cultivation of internal Ch'i energy and the external Li life force. Through the excellent health that is gained thereby, they all assist in the opening up of the whole body, enhance the functioning of the autonomic nervous system, increase the mental capacity of the brain, give greater mind control, increase perception and intuition, uplift moral standards, and give tranquillity to the mind, which in turn confers inner harmony and greater happiness. As time goes by, these exercises slowly open up the functional and control channels that feed and activate the energy, nervous and psychic centres, enabling the individual to have a deeper understanding, consciousness and awareness of the spiritual world

According to this definition of Tao Yin it is clear that it is used for health purposes and for balancing body and mind functions. i.e. sedating, calming and relaxing nervous system and balancing organ's function. It does not have the same transformation purpose as Nei Dan has and purifies the mind and heart (Xing, Yin). This is typical Xing cultivation method based on the regulation and cultivation of post-heaven qi. It does not produce the "golden elixir".

Nei Dan ( Taoist Alchemy) cultivates (nourishes) pre-heaven qi (Ming, Yang), produces "golden elixir" and unites Ming (Yang) and Xing (Yin), transforming person on deep spiritual level and thus leading one to attaining the immortality.

I have never stumbled upon the definition of Tao Yin as Nei Dan. And I refer to the taoist classic scripture where Lu Tun Pin is asking his immortal teacher about true method of cultivation and answering his teacher criticizes Tao Yin among many other ones as one of the false method of genuine internal cultivation. If you want me to cite it I would need more time to find it. As I do not read it in English it will take me time to find it in English.

What is not Neidan?

http://atouchofancientszhouyi.blogspot.ie/2010/10/what-is-not-neidan.html

All forms of martial arts whether they are of Chinese and Indian origin are not neidan. (Japanese and Korean martial arts are already included.) Some masters may argue that their martial arts for example Taijiquan and Neigong deal with internal breath (qi) control and therefore it is related to neidan. But that is far from the truth if we know what neidan practice involves.

All forms of Yoga including the so-called Daoist yoga are not neidan. Remember that yoga is Hindu? What has yoga got to do with Daoist neidan? If Daoist yoga is neidan, Zhang Boduan and Liu I Ming of Quanzhen would not have warned against it in their respective writings.

All forms of qigong exercises are not neidan. Here I find many masters making claims on the web including Daoist forums that their exercises will lead to enlightenment. Sadly these are ridiculous and false claims but many of their students do not think so. While qigong exercises can improve the health and increase the qi levels of students, neidan practice can do more than that.

Most forms of meditation are not neidan even if they happen to deal with breath control.

If the breath is not circulated, it is not neidan. If the breath is circulated but no light is seen within it is not neidan meditation. If the breath and the light circulate together but then the practitioner feels kundalini arising, that is not neidan. Kundalini, as the well read know, is a Hindu practice.

Edited by Antares

for the stupid gwailo they some call taiji (daoist yoga) just for the sake of someone understanding it as it stretches and notifies, but FP also has seated postures that is nei dan. What matters is are you getting the results, you can talk daoist alchemical words and phrases but it is what it is, inner work be it standing or seated, moving or stationary.

• Like 1

for the stupid gwailo they some call taiji (daoist yoga) just for the sake of someone understanding it as it stretches and notifies, but FP also has seated postures that is nei dan. What matters is are you getting the results, you can talk daoist alchemical words and phrases but it is what it is, inner work be it standing or seated, moving or stationary.

Does it create the "golden elixir"? Do you know what is it?

Yes, I see there are moving and standing in FP. But I have not elaborated it to that extent to understand what it is for...

In SYG1 we create LDT thus cultivating Ming as I believe. What we do in FP I have no clue. Year, it def works some way. But looks like Tao Yin. IMHO :ph34r::huh:

The Way gave birth to one.

One gave birth to two.

Two gave birth to three.

Three gave birth to all things.

All things carry yin and embrace yang.

They reach harmony by blending with the vital breath.

What people loathe the most

Is to be orphaned, desolate, unworthy.

But this is what princes and kings call themselves.

Sometimes gain comes from losing,

And sometimes loss comes from gaining.

What others have taught, I also teach:

The forceful and violent will not die from natural causes.

This will be my chief doctrine.

Since there is some clarification going on here lately I want to add that yoga is not "Hindu". Hindu is a watered down version of an exact science of life called Veda which is where yoga comes from. Yoga in Sanskrit means yoke, to be united with Supreme Consciousness, to be One, the Tao. The Vedas are cognized via hymms which are vibrations, sounds which manifest in consciousness into forms which are formulas for right balance in order to become enlightened. The Vedas are heard by Seers or Rishis at the beginning of each creation of the earth.

Hinduism is a weak, somewhat distorted version of the vedas due to people teaching the teachings who are not in an enlightened state of Consciousness so they interpret the scriptures only from their limited state of consciousness. The world is as we are. The blind leading the blind. I don't think Taoism is about theory. It is about experience these states and then we can talk about it in theory which comes from experience, without that there is no understanding of these principles. Just parrots mimicking words.

• Like 2

Those who know do not speak, those who speak do not know....many roads to the same goal...just gotta shut up and be still, find your true nature as above so below right ;)

Okey... shut up. All clarifications finally clarified

Okey... no bother... gotta burn all books and cut off internet.

I wanted clarify difference between FP and SYG. People say it different. If I just shut up I won't know what to do.

One say one thing another one says another....

• Like 1

Ask Sifu Terry about FP me for SYG...VERY simple...all others are adding there own thoughts and other practices rather than following the guidelines for these systems...thats why i say do one or do both, keep both pure , dont add anything...

• Like 2