Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

:D Right on!!!

The spinning web also becomes formless or spontaneous when in a meditative state and it feels you spin for the healing part of the body and energy field working the breath into every movement and gathering the Qi, wrapping it around, weaving it over you and outside of you, you can make it fluffy or bring the energy in tightening the body from outside to inside, and the fluffy as u mention out from the marrow into, past and out through the skin into the universe. You can release and trap thoughts this way especially from a healing perspective!

• Like 1

Been awhile since I logged in here and saw Green Tigers post!

Green Tiger, in my own understanding as someone in the same shoes as you; ie: at beginner level... I had a similar effect with holding the Peach, but in my case my right hand side little finger felt numb first time round with that meditation.

The best way I described the feeling to friends is that it felt like the numb feeling after a pins and needles episode but it did not feel like at all. (makes little sense I know but hey explaining energy is hard)

After more practise is when the blue appeared. It didn't take too much more practise that I could walk around work breathing in the correct manner (roof on tongue and mindset) that the feeling of my hands took on an energy feeling rather than the flesh.

Its rather hard to describe a bonafide practise where you literally become an antenna to all those force's that have been described since day dot...yet science still has problems explaining any of them :blink::D

Bending the Bows to me I believe is the key for a beginner :D

---

Kinda OT!...Sifu Terry I found a Phoenix Spirit in the Sky :D

pictur11.jpg

Hi Somamech,

Thanks for your helpful comments and and thanks very much for the gift of that cloudy Phoenix in the sky--you've got a good eye there and a generous spirit!

You are absolutely right: amongst the moving Standing Flying Phoenix Meditations, "Bending the Bows" is KEY for the beginner.

Let me know how your practice progresses,

Best,

Sifu Terry

The irony is that the link does not work behind the Great Chinese firewall :(

taichimania.com does not work either, Sifu Terry.

Just posting here while on a business trip and cannot sleep due to the time difference :D

Hi Chris,

This is a belated "thanks" for your report from behind the Great Chinese fire-Wall. While it doesn't surprise, me...I am still kind of disappointed that my URL www.taichimania.com isn't accessible by Chinese on the mainland. And it's really too, too bad that this discussion thread on Flying Phoenix Qigong and the TTB blogsite as a whole isn't accessible, either...because we are discussing and proliferating some of the indigenous yogic treasures of China that no one in China even knows exist--except perhaps a few descendants of students taught by GM Doo Wai's ancestors and perhaps a small handful of old, old masters still alive in the Ehrmeishan region. Because the different Bok Fu Pai arts that Sifu Garry Hearfield and I are teaching were passed on privately within GM Doo Wai's family lineage for six generations and were unknown to the public outside of the GM's ancestral village. Imagine the contributions that might be flowing into this and other discussion threads on TTB's if the site were accessable by the folks within China...

Hope your business trip was successful.

Best,

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Flying Phoenix Qigong practitioners and researchers:

For those of you who practice Kung-Fu or any other martial art, especially external styles, here is an experiment that can demonstrate the healing nature of the Flying Phoenix Meditations--inspired by an experience my students had this past weekend's class:

A) Practice any of the Flying Phoenix Meditations for a 45 to 60 minutes (or longer) session.

B ) Then immediately practice one of your Kung Fu forms or katas that you are best trained in and can do automatically.

C) "Go inward" and determine whether it was easier or harder than usual to perform the martial form.

D ) For those of you who try this, please share your results with us here on this discussion.

•• Here is the reason for my suggestion to do this experiment: during my Saturday morning Tai Chi class, we practiced

(a) 90 minutes of Long Form, flowing one round and then doing separation and holding every posture of the 1/3 section (emptying the yin foot and holding it one inch off the ground for at least 30 seconds for each posture).

(b ) Then practiced 3 rounds of the Yang straight sword form, going over the second half of the form repeatedly as that's what the students are learning.

This Tai Chi practice totalled 2 hrs. 15 minutes.

(c ) Then I led the class in a quick 5 minutes of Wu-chi standing (9 arm positions).

(d) Then we practiced one Bok Fu Pa Meditation (90 60 40 30), 3 of the FP Meditations: MGM for 5 min., MHP for 5 min., and Moonbeam Splashes on Water two times.

(e) Then after I officially ended the class, because some of my Tai Chi students are also learning Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu from me, I led them in practicing the basic TTP Monkey Form (50 movements done in quick, staccato, short-distance transitions,).

After my students finished the Monkey Form, they commented that throughout the Kung Fu Form practice they felt like they had to "fight through" or "set aside" the Flying Phoenix Energy in order to do the Monkey Kung Fu movements. They commented: "the Flying Phoenix Healing Energy doesn't like to move that way," and "the Qigong energy didn't want to go there." The focussed movements of Tao Tan Pai's 5 Animal Forms and those of other Kung Fu styles such as Southern Sil Lum Five Animals Kung Fu are drastically different than the body mechanics and internal cultivation of Flying Phoenix Qigong's healing energy.

For those of you who practice Kung Fu and FP Qigong, try this experiment, and I believe that you will discover the same thing about the Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi that my students discovered. (btw, this experiment will not work as well if you are doing Tai Chi Chuan rather than Kung Fu).

--Inductive proof that Flying Phoenix Qigong cultivates a purely healing energy that has unique tangible properties and is clearly distinguishable for other generic experiences of "chi."

Enjoy,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Agree with Sifu Terry, I never mix my training meditation and forms of other systems, if I practice Burning Palm I will only do the BP Meditations with the external training that goes with that system. If I do Yau Kung Mun I will also just do YKM Internal with the YKM Sphere body training as it goes hand in hand, Yau and Gung, Gung and Yau. Certain energy systems only wired for that system, you mix it you have to rewire or you short circuit the body and gain nothing.

Nice post Si Hing!

Gaz

Agree with Sifu Terry, I never mix my training meditation and forms of other systems, if I practice Burning Palm I will only do the BP Meditations with the external training that goes with that system. If I do Yau Kung Mun I will also just do YKM Internal with the YKM Sphere body training as it goes hand in hand, Yau and Gung, Gung and Yau. Certain energy systems only wired for that system, you mix it you have to rewire or you short circuit the body and gain nothing.

Nice post Si Hing!

Gaz

Sifu Garry,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful input based on your many years of experience. I appreciate your good advice for everyone to follow the general rule-of-thumb: Never mix training meditations of one internal system with the martial forms of another. I did exactly that last Saturday at the end of the class to point the "clash of energies" that is most likely to happen when one does mix internal cultivation exercises the wrong way with external martial forms of an unrelated system.

The common sense reason is that each Kung Fu system evolved as an "organic whole"--i.e., as a complete "organism"-- out of the intuitive genius of a great master or lineage of masters. Each complete Kung Fu system has its own fully integrated core cultivation method (Qigong or Nei gung) --be it Bok Mei, Bok Fu Pai, Praying Mantis, Sil Lum Five Animals, Choy Lay Fut,White Crane, Northern Black Snake, or My Jhong Law Horn (although this latter styles' amazing internal system cultivating the "Light Energy" has largely been lost). And one cannot take the secret engine/power plant out of one Kung Fu art and put it into the chassis of another vehicle with a totally different drive train, electrical system and suspension--without doing some major rewiring and gear-fitting.

"Certain energy systems only wired for that system, you mix it you have to rewire or you short circuit the body and gain nothing."

Very, very well put...and much more succinct than my admonition!

Thanks again, Si-Hing Garry.

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hey,

Yup and through my years of training and speaking with many kung fu sifu's, each real Traditional Kung Fu system has its own Nei gung/ Hei Gung that is suited for that system.

Never seen Northern black snake, can you tell me more about this system?

Regards

Garry

Hello,

I've got a big concern whether inadvertently being conscious of my health is detrimental to FP cultivation.

Unfortunately I had to quit around May*, so I'm trying to recall what I was experiencing. I remember that sleeping was troublesome at times. I used to be breathing fully and then I'd get thoughts about being careful not to breath partially and stir up energy by taking percentage breaths. That made me feel burdened to have to monitor my breathing and I would feel tense.

Taking brisk walks could also become troublesome. I'm not sure if my monitoring was making me breath intrinsically detrimentally: the difference between the natural breathing walk and otherwise was dramatic. I think one was a fun experience while the other felt like my body faced a little increased burden. Maybe I just felt that since normally I would be relaxed when walking, so the contrast was greater.

I don't recall how good I was at trying to just forget about my breathing. I think one thing that was working for me was thinking in the following way:

"It doesn't matter at all however you breathe for a short time. Just don't mind how you're taking your breaths so you forget about trying to breath right. That is the way to save yourself from having to monitor your breath for a long time, possibly erring at times."

I've been thinking about restarting the practice recently, but I've started to get a lot of tension because of the monitoring tendency. I've actually recollected what worked for me now; maybe I just really need to set it into practice.

Regarding the bit about not minding wrong breathing for a short while: I think that maybe 1 out of 10 breaths was actually an interrupted breath in the more intense monitoring periods. I think I felt frustrated wanting to break the monitoring by "restarting" breathing.

Should we actually be really carefree? I mean we take percentage breaths when we have to exclaim etc. Is is best to just simply be thinking: "Doesn't matter at all how you're breathing now. If you're regularly trying to forget about breathing, you are moving towards breathing perfectly."

Thanks

* I had been practicing Vol 1 and 2 for more than a month and my Air Conditioner broke down. I thought I'd get it fixed rather than practice in a room with distractions but after a week I thought it was too late and I'd restart in early winter and keep going after that.

Sifu Terry,

Would you then say it is inadvisable to learn Tai Chi once a week while simultaneously practicing FPCK daily?

Audiohealing,

No,not at all. It's absolutely fine to learn Tai Chi once a week or every day for that matter, while practicing FPCK daily. Tai Chi's principles of movement and body mechanics both based on complete relaxation is similar to and are not in conflict with those of the Flying Phoenix exercises. You just don't apply the martial focus of Tai Chi when doing the FP meditations.

In fact, I often teach FP Chi Kung at the end of a Tai Chi class for 30 to 40 minutes (my classes are 2 to 2.5 hours long). I just remind my students to adjust themselves mentally so they say to themselves, "OK, now we are doing Yang Tai Chi Chuan." And then later, I tell them to say to themselves, "Okay, now we do Flying Phoenix Qigong, which is done three times slower than typical Tai Chi Form speed.

If you are learning Tai Chi and don't want to mix the two disciplines methods or their energies, you can do them both in the same day...just separate their practice by 30 to 60 minutes. These are just my suggestions. You can "feel it out" (intuit it) for yourself and figure out the best way to separate the effects of the two practices.

And for those out there who practice both Tai Chi Chuan and a different Kung Fu style, and seriously want to master both, I'll repeat what Master John Fey (a Chen Style Tai Chi /Pa Kua/ Northern Kung Fu teacher I trained with in the 80's) advised: On one day you practice all Tai Chi. On another day, you practice all Kung Fu.

The point I was trying to make with the suggested "experiment" is that Flying Phoenix Healing Energy is cultivated through the system's slow and distinctive moving meditations and that some Kung fu forms are not conducive to circulating that healing energy.

Sifu Hearfield made the point that unless one is advanced enough to "rewire" or adapt/adjust the internal cultivation method of one kung fu system while playing the martial forms of a different kung fu system, one can short-circuit the effects of both components and wind up with nothing. No damage to health or anything detrimental necessarily results--but the result is that there's no synergy between the two practices and neither part has its intended effect. That null effect is what Grandmaster Ark Yue Wong once called a beginner's incorrect Kung fu form performance: (pointing) "That an empty house." :0)

So the bottomline is what Sifu Garry emphasized: Don't mix the internal cultivation of one martial art with the martial forms of another art.

I hope this is more clear now.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Sifu Terry -

Great topic of conversation, i.e., that of different types of energy.

I can personally attest to the fact that the Flying Phoenix meditations generate and develop a very different energy...lighter, more healing than anything else I have practiced.

The part of your students saying "the Flying Phoenix doesn't like to move that way" is most interesting. I do not practice any other energetic system, however, it's not a stretch for me to glean the FP energy has a certain feel, with characteristics all it's own.

In one of your DVD volumes you mention that the FP practice is "cumulative". When I first heard it, I thought "Which way?". Does he mean it's cumulative day by day, or does he mean cumulative with longer practice in a single session. After experimenting, I learned you meant both ways.

I have made several posts discussing the healing characteristics that I myself have experienced. However, about a month ago you mentioned two seated meditations that can possibly turn gray hair back to the color it was before it turned gray.

So, I set out practicing those two every day. And, much to my surprise (and my families) those two exercise did indeed reverse the graying of hair. I had a big blotch of gray on my right forearm about 4" x 2 ". Within a couple of weeks that went right back to brown! Also, my mustache had turned mostly gray, with only a little brown left. Now it's mostly brown, with only a little gray. My neighbor asked me if I had dyed it! Nope. It was the Flying Phoenix.

BTW - 60 pages on this Flying Phoenix thread...Wow!!! It's become a how to manual, a FAQ manual, and a great source of information for those that care to go back and read it.

Sifu Terry (and Garry)...thanks much for your continued contributions.

• Like 1

Hello Sifu Dunn,

I have been reading through this thread for a couple days now, and am very impressed! So i have ordered the Long Form video, and the 6 Seated Meditations and 5 Advanced Seated Meditations videos to start.

I appreciate all the time you have taken here to offer helpful advice to your DVD students. I also appreciate that this thread has been running for 2 years strong with 60 pages!! :D

My goal is to cultivate healing energy and peaceful inner radiance. I will practice from your DVDs and then i think i will add Standing Meditations. Do you recommend any DVDs or books in particular sequence in order to grow in the best way?

Thank you and bless you! You seem like quite an amazing teacher, i really look forward to working with your videos

:)

{edit} are the standing meditations like nei kung?

Edited by anamatva

Axe,

Many things could be part of your experience, stress , diet, even over thinking things (training) etc? I dont know if FP has it but usually it will with the 3 breaths to come out which is to return the energy back into the Dan Tian plus in Burning Palm we have shaking to release any negative energy or over active energy as well trapped energy in the body followed by tapping or slapping the meridians? I advise my Burning Palm students to either sit longer at the end after the finish of the breath percentage and not come out straight away and allow the energy to further circulate or return. I also advice my students to fully understand what a full breath is before they even try the breath percentage, because YOU have to know YOUR FULLY CAPACITY of YOUR LUNGS!!! By doing so you learn about your body better and when you know your body and your breathing (lung capacity) you should be able to bring it back to normality.

That being said I dont teach FP qi kung, but seen much of it, and to me it shouldnt be harmful I would suggest you see a TCM doctor and check your health before starting any exercise anyway. Especially Qi Kung or maybe Sifu Terry has herbal formulas that could help your health as maybe your health isnt ready for such a practice??? Just thought!!!

My 2 cents worth....

Sifu Garry

Thank you Sifu Garry,

You've got the overthink part right: I do have slight OCD tendencies. I think I should have tried to talk about this before. :)

I think the problem is how I react to a little doubt that I have regarding breathing and FP energy outside practice. I'm not sure what would happen if a person unintentionally took a percentage breath (or exhaled without filling the lungs). I mean, when we take our percentage breaths during practice, the energy just keeps on flowing even while we take many normal breaths after them. I'm not sure how much of a role this plays, but I'm also not sure what happens when we imagine how we were practicing in a practice session.

With the doubt, there's pressure and tension at times to remove the uncertainty. Hopefully I just need to know what's the real picture for accidentally stirring FP energy, and be assured why there is no need to worry about my breathing.

Edited by Axe

Question to Sifu's Terry and Garry, are the Flying Phoenix Meditations and Omei Bak Mei complementary or is there an energetic conflict between the two arts you two practice?

I'm just curious as I was contemplating getting back to my training with Flying Phoenix after a bit of a hiatus but want to learn some powerful internal Kung Fu while I'm at it now that Sifu Garry has DVD's of his own. ^_^

Thanks in advance,

Shen

Hi All!!! I took a break from qigong for a while but came back to it recently and so I came back to read this thread and am happy that it keeps going and keeps growing :D

I recently picked back up doing monk holding peach, and bending the bows. I just stumbled upon and have learned the Primordial/Wuji qigong and have been finding the two quite compatible. I start with monk holding peach which is a nice start since it is stillness, then I move into bending the bows which initiates movement while the feet are still rooted. From there I do the Wuji qigong which focuses on the 5 elements and moves though the four directions.

Monk Holding Peach is working great for dissolving the sense of the physical self, Bending the Bows is awesome for gathering and washing and also helping me to roll in the thighs and open the lower back (something postural I am trying to work on).

Great stuff!

Hey,

Yup and through my years of training and speaking with many kung fu sifu's, each real Traditional Kung Fu system has its own Nei gung/ Hei Gung that is suited for that system.

Never seen Northern black snake, can you tell me more about this system?

Regards

Garry

Hi Sifu Garry,

Northern Black Snake is a very, very obscure system that one of my Shaolin teachers in the 70's discussed and demonstrated a few techniques from. One technique utilizes a hand posture that looks like the head of a cobra and creates a vacuum when it strikes, thus delivering the internal energy in a very unique way. btw, that and every other snake hand posture that I know to be effective in combat are variations of "snake hand" seen in classical Shaolin Animal Forms"--further evidence that kung fu forms are very seldom--if ever--literal and direct in their martial applications. Snake styles of Kung Fu train the delivery of the internal energy to a chosen point in space. I think i gave an account earlier in this thread of how I witnessed Grandmaster Ark Yue Wong of the Southern Sil Lum Five Animals system in the early 80's [when he and Sifu Douglas Wong's Sil Lum 5 Animals demo team (including myself) were at a Las Vegas resort to give a demonstration] demonstrated his snake hand in our hotel room to my classmate Juan Ferlini: Juan asked the GM something about the snake style and GM Wong quickly but softly touched Juan on the forehead about half-inch away from the third eye with his index and middle finger held together. Juan instantly collapsed to the floor in a very dizzied state...but didn't quite pass out. We pulled him back up to a seated position and it took a couple of minutes to get his equilibrium back. That was one of my earliest observations of martial qi delivered softly.

More later through IM, Si-Hing.

Terry

Question to Sifu's Terry and Garry, are the Flying Phoenix Meditations and Omei Bak Mei complementary or is there an energetic conflict between the two arts you two practice?

I'm just curious as I was contemplating getting back to my training with Flying Phoenix after a bit of a hiatus but want to learn some powerful internal Kung Fu while I'm at it now that Sifu Garry has DVD's of his own. ^_^

Thanks in advance,

Shen

Shen,

Complementary. As I posted sometime ago, the GM Doo Wai and told me that Flying Phoenix Qigong was practiced within the Doo Family system as the "safety net" for health, healing and longevity prior to training in the martial systems. Both arts are part of the Bok Fu Pai system, so naturally there is no conflict if they are both practiced correctly.

Sifu Terry

Hello,

I've got a big concern whether inadvertently being conscious of my health is detrimental to FP cultivation.

Unfortunately I had to quit around May*, so I'm trying to recall what I was experiencing. I remember that sleeping was troublesome at times. I used to be breathing fully and then I'd get thoughts about being careful not to breath partially and stir up energy by taking percentage breaths. That made me feel burdened to have to monitor my breathing and I would feel tense.

Taking brisk walks could also become troublesome. I'm not sure if my monitoring was making me breath intrinsically detrimentally: the difference between the natural breathing walk and otherwise was dramatic. I think one was a fun experience while the other felt like my body faced a little increased burden. Maybe I just felt that since normally I would be relaxed when walking, so the contrast was greater.

I don't recall how good I was at trying to just forget about my breathing. I think one thing that was working for me was thinking in the following way:

"It doesn't matter at all however you breathe for a short time. Just don't mind how you're taking your breaths so you forget about trying to breath right. That is the way to save yourself from having to monitor your breath for a long time, possibly erring at times."

I've been thinking about restarting the practice recently, but I've started to get a lot of tension because of the monitoring tendency. I've actually recollected what worked for me now; maybe I just really need to set it into practice.

Regarding the bit about not minding wrong breathing for a short while: I think that maybe 1 out of 10 breaths was actually an interrupted breath in the more intense monitoring periods. I think I felt frustrated wanting to break the monitoring by "restarting" breathing.

Should we actually be really carefree? I mean we take percentage breaths when we have to exclaim etc. Is is best to just simply be thinking: "Doesn't matter at all how you're breathing now. If you're regularly trying to forget about breathing, you are moving towards breathing perfectly."

Thanks

* I had been practicing Vol 1 and 2 for more than a month and my Air Conditioner broke down. I thought I'd get it fixed rather than practice in a room with distractions but after a week I thought it was too late and I'd restart in early winter and keep going after that.

Hello Axe,

Please rest assured:

1. There is absolutely no way that anyone can accidentally "stir" or ignite up the Flying Phoenix energy cultivation process by inadvertantly breathing a few of the percentage exhalations for the following reasons:

A. No FP Qigong exercise or any Bok Fu Pai meditation can begin without the consciously performing the three full priming breathes at the very beginning. That is why the three intentional full breathes at the start of every FP Qigong exercise were put there--TO PREVENT ANY INADVERTANT CULTIVATION USING THE PERCENTAGE BREATH CONTROL SEQUENCES—as well as to normalize your breathing over time at the maximum tidal volume.

B. Secondly, the length and complexity of each of the FP qigong breathing sequences are such that they cannot be done unconsciously—i.e., the breath-control sequences cannot only be accurately done without one’s volition (intentionality) and focused attention.

In my personal experience of practicing and teaching Flying Phoenix Qigong since 1991, I have observed in my own practice of the FP Qigong and in observing the training of students over the years, that it is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to inadvertantly or unintentionally perform a Flying Phoenix breath-control sequence because doing any one of them requires clear volition and intentionality to perform the 3 Full Breaths in the beginning COMBINED WITH performing a series of at least three (3) precise percentage exhalations that alternate with full breathes (100% exhalation followed by a 100% inhalation).

Btw, the shortest energy-cultivating meditation I know of in the entire Bok Fu Pai tradition has a certain bodily posture and a breath control sequence consisting of two (2) percentage exhalations. Even this breath control sequence, which is shorter than every one of the Flying Phoenix breath control sequences, CANNOT be inadvertantly done and thus cause any type of “stray” or unwanted energy cultivation.

So relax! And don't oppress yourself by creating a cocoon of groundless fears. As I've said several times in this discussion, the FP Qigong is one of the safest, most foolproof and self-contained authentic Qigong systems that has been published for consumers. Inadvertantly or randomly doing one, two or even three of the Flying Phoenix percentage exhalations with no focused conscious intent to do the FP Qigong is not going to "stir up" anything.

C. Even if supposing that you somehow performed the 3 full priming breathes at the start of a FP Qigong breathing sequence, AND THEN somehow unconsciously performed a [/i] sequence or a fragment of a sequence of FP Qigong exhalation percentages alternating with full breathes[/i], a person still cannot possibly unconsciously assume the one matching FP Qigong posture that goes with the breathing--be it standing or seated--to make the Meditation complete. Thus no inadvertent energy cultivation can taken place because, as I stated at the very start of this thread, there are 3 elements essential to performing any authentic system of Qigong:

(1) Hsing (xing) -- the shape form of the body, which in our practice means a FP qigong posture such as "Monk Gazing At Moon".

(2) Chi (breathing method) – in this case, a consciously performed FP Qigong breath control sequence.

(3) Yi -- Mind (mental focus, intentionality, can extend to visualizations)

Without these three components all functioning as one, there is no chi cultivation.

D. Finally, even if you were able to correctly perform a complete Flying Phoenix Qigong breath control sequence that goes with one of the FP Meditations(which I believe to be impossible), but didn't combine it with the proper Flying Phoenix posture and movements, whatever energy that might have been cultivated by the breathing sequence is only salient energy--healthy for you.

Axe, if after digesting this information,your practice of Flying Phoenix Qigong continues to cause you to mentally obsess on whether you are inadvertantly breathing some or all of the percentage exhalations found in the Flying Phoenix Qigong formulas,and you are disturbing your sleep as a result, and not getting enough rest due to interrupted sleep, then you should NOT practice the Flying Phoenix Qigong.

I would then suggest that you talk to a sleep specialist--normally a psychologist who has expertise in sleep disorders.

You might also want to consult with a psychotherapist or psychologist because continuing fears of inadvertantly “stirring up” energy with this particular Qigong system would indeed reflect an obsessive-compulsive disorder that you admit to. And there might be a little more going on with you than OCD, as you’ve picked one of the safest and most fool-proof Qigong systems ever created by humankind and made its practice a feared source of inadvertently “stirring up” energy—that you assume would perhaps lead to an “imbalance” of internal energy?

Not possible. The Flying Phoenix healing energy as it is being cultivated by the Qigong does not get “stirred up”. What gets “stirred up” by the FP Meditations in beginners is the time-bound pain in the body and that is called tension. And that is what causes the vibratory state and involuntary movements that beginning FP practitioners know and love so well.

Indeed, the nature of the Flying Phoenix energy is that is suffuses everything—every bodily tissue. The tangible FP energy and all its healing effects are the by-product of the allostasis that is conditioned by this Qigong.

If you want to mentally focus on anything at all while you are practicing Flying Phoenix Qigong, you may want to recite to these words to yourself repeatedly:

Fay Fung San Gung develops only allostasis---and the tangible light-blue healing energy visible to some is a sublime by-product of allostasis.”

Good Luck,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Thanks for the prompt reply Sifu Terry, just wanted to be sure... ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

You're welcome, Shen.

I just happened to log on this morning before my class and caught you question.

Hope your practice is going well.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Well I've been off of practice in the meditations for awhile, but I recently found some inspiration to give it another go. I've been training in the Five Tibetan Rites in the down time and am confident that I can make something great of the training now that I've gained a new sense of calm, patience and a better understanding of myself. ^_^

P.S. I will keep everyone posted on anything I find during my renewed training.

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555

Wow, thank you Sifu Terry for answering in depth. :D

I just realized, I made it sound like the tension made me quit (especially by mentioning quitting right after mentioning I had a big concern). Also, I shouldn't have written "sleeping was troublesome". :)

I meant to write that sleeping time was one of the two instances where the concern was more than an inquisitive sort of question on my mind. I think the time it took me to go to sleep was very nearly the same with or without an instance of compulsive breath monitoring. It's just that the very short time could be one of letting go and pleasurable relaxation, or one where I'd feel myself be unnecessarily chored. As for sleep, I saw positive effects from MSV 1 and 2. :)

I think one thing that helped to generate doubt was that I read in the thread that doing the form without the breath control sequence would dilute the effects of the practice. With walking, I was worried I might have felt the contrast because of losing the effects.

I was searching just now, I found something else that I think I had read, though I don't recall having it on my mind:

I am specially interested in the 50 10 50 in Vol.2. Can it be used be used while standing with the hand position instead of sitting?

NO. Do not vary these FP exercises from the way they are taught on the DVD or you will dilute their effects or cause yourself internal energy PROBLEMS. Sifu Garry Hearfield will give you the same admonition. If you get "creative" with these powerful meditations before you've mastered them, you'll wind up making a mess--a serious mess for yourself.

I have to say, I didn't think that erratic breathing, unless it's not erratic breathing but actually a full copy of the breath control sequence plus three full breaths, has no connection with what we do in the meditation! I mainly tried to make do, brushing aside the doubt knowing that everyone was fine so several erratic breathing instances everyday were fine. This still left the doubt whether it might be fine with more because of a vicious cycle.

Well, your answer really took care of the doubts! I think I'll start practice after a few weeks when it gets cooler (plan to get my AC fixed before next Summer). :)

Edited by Axe