Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hi Sifu Terry -

You had mentioned that in addition to the Flying Phoenix meditations that you teach on your DVD's (which are all excellent, BTW), there is also some "closed door" practices of Flying Phoenix.

This is more of a question of curiosity, however, can you please tell us what there is about the closed door FP practices that's not in the meditations that you teach on the DVD's? Or, put another way, without telling us what those practices are, can you please tell us a little about the benefits of these practices?

I still have a ways to go with what you teach on your FP DVD's, so I am not implying anything by asking the question. However, I feel the question is legitimate. That said, I am not offended if you deem it most appropriate not to answer.

Thank you,

Lloyd

PS - I will soon be starting to learn the long standing form you teach in volume 4. Looking forward to this one!

Hi Sifu Terry,

Thank you for this wonderful quotation.

Happy New Year to you also!

Fachao

edit for spelling

It's quite easy to quote the Buddha.

Happy New Year, Fachao.

Hi Sifu Terry -

You had mentioned that in addition to the Flying Phoenix meditations that you teach on your DVD's (which are all excellent, BTW), there is also some "closed door" practices of Flying Phoenix.

This is more of a question of curiosity, however, can you please tell us what there is about the closed door FP practices that's not in the meditations that you teach on the DVD's? Or, put another way, without telling us what those practices are, can you please tell us a little about the benefits of these practices?

I still have a ways to go with what you teach on your FP DVD's, so I am not implying anything by asking the question. However, I feel the question is legitimate. That said, I am not offended if you deem it most appropriate not to answer.

Thank you,

Lloyd

PS - I will soon be starting to learn the long standing form you teach in volume 4. Looking forward to this one!

Hello Lloyd,

I don't recall exactly where in the thread I had written about it, but all I can say about advanced or "closed door" training in Flying Phoenix Qigong--or the other Qigong systems I teach-- is that it involves advanced meditations, ingestion of Chinese herbal compounds, instruction on how to refine one's mental and psychic control over the higher energy levels cultivated by the entire system including the advanced meditations, and most importantly, healing applications of the art. "Healing applications" means learning the skills to heal others with the FP energy and herbs; self-healing is a given at start of the advanced level of training.) How a teacher teaches the latter two types of knowledge is totally up to the predilection, experience and personal power of the teacher.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Zenbear-

Sent you a pm, not sure if you saw it?

A few questions about this practice-

1 Is it OK to practice when exhausted?

2 It was written that GM Doo Wai said the purpose of this chi qong is to get the internal organs under subconscious control- aren't they ALREADY under subconscious control?- I don't understand this

3 Its been written that the practice turns grey hair black, does it also help curing baldness?

4 Can one with internal martial arts/chi qong experience begin with volume 4, skipping the first 3, and if so, would there be any loss or missed benefit by doing so?

5 Does the chi kung help with releasing unresolved emotional traumas (recapitalution in Castanedan terms)?

6 Regarding sexual activity and Flying Phoenix, you wrote 'While we were practicing both basic standing and seated FP meditations (seated ones collectively called "Monk Serves Wine") in the early years, and then with the other more advanced martial qigong systems in later years, GM Doo Wai basically and jocularly told us to "knock ourselves out" when it came to sexual activity--because all the stuff in our training--including cooking with Chinese herbs (we made a training porridge or "jook" (IN Cantonese) constantly during our training) and ingesting of powerful herbs via alchohol tinctures and honey-based pills) kept that sexual component replenished and in balance.'

From the above I conclude that for someone learning from your videos, without benefit of the chinese herbal and jook knowledge you learned, it may be harmful to 'knock yourself out' sexually? Is that correct? Also, the sexual activity can be harmful in two ways- 1) to the practice by hindering progress/energy development

2)to the individuals health/lifespan, by depleting the finite reserves of jing

From what you wrote earlier, it seems GM Doo Wai was referring more to 1 than 2, is that correct?

thanks-

Edited by growant

Not Sifu, however, I will weigh in on your question (4) based on my experience.

I have been practicing FP for 14 months now and am just now beginning to learn the Vol 4 exercise, which is the FP standing long form.

I have spend the first 13 1/2 months practicing the basics.

I can tell you unequivocally the energy from FP is significantly different that other forms of qigong. It's more subtle, and at the same time in many ways, more powerful. I had practiced different forms of qigong for 8+ years before beginning FP.

IMO, jumping to the FP long standing form in Vol 4 and skipping the basics would be akin to building a house without a foundation. Or, it would be like skipping childhood and jumping straight to adulthood.... something precious and extremely valuable would be lost.

The FP meditations in Vol 1, 2, and 3 "teaches" your energy body to adapt to the energy. It allows you time to become adapted and to develop a feel for the Flying Phoenix energy. The energy is different, and I cannot imagine any substitute for months of actual practice. During your practice, you will learn to optimize the energy. So, after learning the practices in Vol 1, 2 and 3 and putting good time into practice, then when you begin learning the FP long form you will have the experience that will allow you to maximize the benefits from the Vol 4 exercise.

Also, I believe you would find the basic FP mediations aren't so "basic". They are indeed extremely powerful. In fact, as Sifu says, the energetic effects are cumulative. If you do one exercise you feel some energy. If you do two you feel more energy. If you do all of the basics in one practice (either Vol 1 or Vol 2, you will feel a very powerful energetic effect that builds with each exercise. In fact, it was my experience that when I finished Vol 1 and was learning Vol 2, that I had to pace myself to allow my body time to adapt to the powerful energetic effects of the FP qi. My body was not ready for the energy, and had to take time to adapt to it.

I am sure Sifu can add more perspective, however, the above are my observations.

Lloyd

Happy Hi again Sifu Terry,

thank you for taking the time... I as actually always wondering about the idea of karma and intention... so if I get you right "good" or "bad" intent actually have a great impact on the karmic aspects and rippling effects thereafter involved.

Only recently I was facing a situation in the "small": for whatever reasons I had about an uncontrollable amount of flies in my flat... I had either the option to slap them or place them outside where we had freezy cold temperatures outside: in both instances I would be killing them and I really don't know if placing them outside was the more compassionate thing to do... still no idea...

regarding touching of the body...

I still run into that question while practicing:

for example:

in the monk holding the pearl position standing:

hands can rest on the body ... do the elbow/forearms rest on the body or are the armpits kept so wide that the arms basically float freely in the air.

in the sitting position:

do the hands rest on the laps as well?

Bending the bows:

when bringing the hands together in front of the throat after the wide circle:

a) do the middle fingers touch each other tip to tip? and then seperate when facing palms down again (or is there no touching at all)?

Wind above the clouds:

same question:

a) do the finger tips touch when at throat level?

B ) fingers covering eyes: is there any touching of the forehead/eyes?

c) when being stretched over right of left leg: does the hand of the one arm touch the other at the elbow put?

Sitting meditations:

the Monk serves wine meditations:

a) bringing the backs of the hands together and sliding them up at the midline before stretching them out: do the sides of the little fingers slide up along the midline by touching the body or is kept space between them.

B ) arms in the position where hands are rotated towards each other befor being moved up above the head: do the finger tips touch each other and this even up when holding above the head (from watching the DVD I would assume you do both ways...)?

c) when actually bringing hands up above the head: on the way up or down: any touching of the forehead?

maybe these things are clear to all others... from watching both seems to be done - I am just not sure - and maybe it doesn't matter at all.

thankx much again in advance

sincerely

Harry

Edited by sunshine

A different question just entered my mind... and I don't think it

has been reflected upon that specifically, Sifu Terry.

You described differences in the healing practices of two of your teachers

in this thread, explaing that in Flying Phoenix one does not specifically

manipulate energy in the channels... I was wondering: the Tuina techniques

you learned got learned in a different context... from the point of developing

a different kind of energy.

Could the Flying Phoenix energy actually be used to charge those Tuina techniques

as well... to manipulate and "force" energy into the channels etc.

or is the energy that different that it just would not do it?

thankx much in advance

Harry

Not Sifu, however, I will weigh in on your question (4) based on my experience.

I have been practicing FP for 14 months now and am just now beginning to learn the Vol 4 exercise, which is the FP standing long form.

I have spend the first 13 1/2 months practicing the basics.

I can tell you unequivocally the energy from FP is significantly different that other forms of qigong. It's more subtle, and at the same time in many ways, more powerful. I had practiced different forms of qigong for 8+ years before beginning FP.

IMO, jumping to the FP long standing form in Vol 4 and skipping the basics would be akin to building a house without a foundation. Or, it would be like skipping childhood and jumping straight to adulthood.... something precious and extremely valuable would be lost.

The FP meditations in Vol 1, 2, and 3 "teaches" your energy body to adapt to the energy. It allows you time to become adapted and to develop a feel for the Flying Phoenix energy. The energy is different, and I cannot imagine any substitute for months of actual practice. During your practice, you will learn to optimize the energy. So, after learning the practices in Vol 1, 2 and 3 and putting good time into practice, then when you begin learning the FP long form you will have the experience that will allow you to maximize the benefits from the Vol 4 exercise.

Also, I believe you would find the basic FP mediations aren't so "basic". They are indeed extremely powerful. In fact, as Sifu says, the energetic effects are cumulative. If you do one exercise you feel some energy. If you do two you feel more energy. If you do all of the basics in one practice (either Vol 1 or Vol 2, you will feel a very powerful energetic effect that builds with each exercise. In fact, it was my experience that when I finished Vol 1 and was learning Vol 2, that I had to pace myself to allow my body time to adapt to the powerful energetic effects of the FP qi. My body was not ready for the energy, and had to take time to adapt to it.

I am sure Sifu can add more perspective, however, the above are my observations.

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd,

Thank you very much for jumping in and answering Growant's question re: jumping into the practice with Vol. 4's Long Form MEditation. Very good answers.

It also a great help since you are speaking from your experience as a beginner to the Flying Phoenix System whereas my answers as an experienced teacher might not be fundamental enough and as responsive.

I appreciate it very much!

Best,

Sifu Terry

4 Can one with internal martial arts/chi qong experience begin with volume 4, skipping the first 3, and if so, would there be any loss or missed benefit by doing so?

My experience with the FP energy and vol 4 is that the long form has not shown its expression yet so much as a stand alone exercise and in the other meditations and that's with about 5 months of doing vol 1 + 2.

However I'm doing vol 4 in the morning where my sensitivity is lower than in the evening.

I'm pretty sure that the effects will come just as they came after about 1 month of doing Monk Serves Wine. Patience is necessary.

My personal favorite at the moment is Monk Gazing at Moon from vol 1. I wouldn't miss this for the world :)

It seems that you can explore each FP exercise for a long time to discover its subtleties.

• Like 1

Hello Growant,

Fu-dog (Lloyd) gave you an excellent answer based on his 1.3 yrs of experience in the basic Flying Phoenix Qigong system.

I will supplement his answer with a few more specific ones below (in bold):

Sent you a pm, not sure if you saw it?

A few questions about this practice-

1 Is it OK to practice when exhausted?

YES, IT'S OK TO PRACTICE FPQ WHEN EXHAUSTED--BUT NOT WHEN ONE IS SLEEP-DEPRIVED. Flying Phoenix Qigong practice will NOT replace sleep--unlike some other qigong systems. And as I stated in earlier posts, best results are derived from FPQ practiced when one has very normal and restful sleep habits.

2 It was written that GM Doo Wai said the purpose of this chi qong is to get the internal organs under subconscious control- aren't they ALREADY under subconscious control?- I don't understand this

YES AND NO:

Yes: body's organs are regulated by the autonomic nervous system ("subconscious mind").

No: But you will not feel or experience this subconscious regulation until you practice FP qigong to an intermediate level. And one will not develop CONSCIOUS regulation of internal organs until one practices FP Qigong to advanced levels.

3 Its been written that the practice turns grey hair black, does it also help curing baldness?

[/b]Regular FP Qigong will slow signs of aging like facial wringles and lines and gray hair, but it will not forestall or prevent or "cure" baldness, because balding is a genetic trait.[/b]

If you have a strong Qigong background, then YES, one can start with Vol.4 and derive some benefit. But it will not be the maximum nor optimal benefit because I don't know of any Qigong styles outside of the White Tiger Family umbrella that is similar to the FP system. As Fu-Dog put it in his post, you will probably miss out on a lot of foundation benefits by not doing the basics in Vols 1 and 2 and the Intermediate Standing MEditations in Vol. 3.

5 Does the chi kung help with releasing unresolved emotional traumas (recapitalution in Castanedan terms)?

I can't speak for all Chi Kung styles or for Chi Kung in general, but FP Qigong in particular might help with release because it creates very, very high sensitivity of the body and deep, conscious awareness of its workings. But releasing unresolved emotional traumas is best handled in a counseling and psychotherapeutic environment...or by letting nature and time take its course.

Or, depending on one's spiritual nature, spiritual strength, and availability of a true spiritual guide, such traumas might be resolved through spiritual channels. But resolution of emotional traumas through a spiritual path or process is even more rare a phenomenon than effective psychotherapy and it may take much longer. As Don Juan told Castaneda when the latter was steeped in self-pity, it all depends on one's personal power. If one's Spirit is strong enough, unresolved personal traumas--even emotionally catastrophic ones--don't remain repressed for long. They come to consciousness and are dealt with. I recall in one of the books Don Juan said that if a warrior needs solace, he can pick anyone to voice (vent) his pains to.

The superior man confronts his problems;

therefore he does not experience them.

(i.e.,his life isn't degraded by the karma the unresolved problems create.)

Some very powerful people (I am certainly not including myself here-- can take a highly traumatic event or a terribly devastating and painful, time-bound memory when it surfaces--something that weaker people might kill themselves over--and instantly turn it into "grist for the mill" and get on with their lives.

Spiritually speaking, it depends on one's "predilection" and one's "personal power" (both as used by Castaneda).

Since you mentioned Castaneda, he gives an account in his first 4 books his (or don Juan's) prescription for becoming a warrior (translate that as "superior man" in terms of the I Ching). And what are the elements of that Yaqui prescription?--

erasing personal history;

assuming responsbility;

disrupting daily routines;

using Death as an advisor;

stopping the world;

claiming the totality of oneself;

--and a couple more, right?

Any one of those methods can enable "recapitulation" in order to resolve one's most traumatic memories. Or all of them practiced together for a lifetime may not change a thing. It depends whether the person has the "predilection of a warrior." e.g., some people have a near-death experience and live the rest of their lives fragile, or broken or paranoid; others have a near-death experience and get stronger and more enlightened.

Whichever mode one takes to resolve the emotional trauma, Carl Jung put it best: "There is no coming to consciousness without Pain."

It all depends on strength (personal power) of the person's karmic will and commitment (predilection) to to overcome Pain. If one's aware of severe emotional blockage that's crippling one's growth and evolution and wants to resolve it. Many people don't want to change or face their deepest most painful traumas so they find people, activities and lifestyles to keep them repressed. There's nothing wrong with that; repression is a healthy mechanism necessary for survival. It's only if one's neurosis or neuroses is preventing one from attaining their life goals--i.e., "Getting their cheese" :unsure: --as the EST people put it back in the 70's.

Over 37 years of training, I've observed plenty of people who gravitated towards kung-fu, Tai Chi, qigong, Indian yogas, spiritual movements, and everything else in the New Age barnyard of the past 40 years, and appropriate eastern philosophies and religions to insulate themselves and defend against the catastrophic realization of those unresolved emo traumas.

And then other folks are clear and straight with themselves and can effectively use traditional and/or alternative paths of healing and growth to get healthier, stronger, empowered, wiser, fully self-realized, "individuated", and more spiritually astute. :excl:

6 Regarding sexual activity and Flying Phoenix, you wrote 'While we were practicing both basic standing and seated FP meditations (seated ones collectively called "Monk Serves Wine") in the early years, and then with the other more advanced martial qigong systems in later years, GM Doo Wai basically and jocularly told us to "knock ourselves out" when it came to sexual activity--because all the stuff in our training--including cooking with Chinese herbs (we made a training porridge or "jook" (IN Cantonese) constantly during our training) and ingesting of powerful herbs via alchohol tinctures and honey-based pills) kept that sexual component replenished and in balance.'

From the above I conclude that for someone learning from your videos, without benefit of the chinese herbal and jook knowledge you learned, it may be harmful to 'knock yourself out' sexually? Is that correct? Also, the sexual activity can be harmful in two ways- 1) to the practice by hindering progress/energy development

2)to the individuals health/lifespan, by depleting the finite reserves of jing

From what you wrote earlier, it seems GM Doo Wai was referring more to 1 than 2, is that correct?

First of all, BALANCE AND MODERATION IS THE MAXIM IN TAOIST PRACTICES--and the answer to your question.

Also, I must apologize for the way I wrote that description of our kung-fu, qigong coupled with dietary and herbal practices because it might have given you the impression that it was designed to allow greater sexual activity. that was not the case. The diet and herbal formulas we ingest is primarily to empower kung-fu training. After years of this diet and internal training, a side effect is higher energy levels in general, including sexual energy, jing.

Now to explain what GM meant by "knock yourself out" (with sexually activityl). GM Doo Wai meant that as we learned his Bok Fu Pai internal arts (including the FP Qigong), we could continue with whatever our normal sexual activity was--for his internal training did not require the practice of celibacy. He gave a humorous and jocular answer in the context of a question I had posed about the celibacy that was required in another Neigung system I had trained in, Tao Tan Pai. The GM was being jocular to emphasize the contrast between his internal arts and GM Share K. Lew's internal system, Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method). He wasn't advising us to go nuts (--with 3-week cocaine and hooker binge in Vegas :lol: ) and have sexual activity in excess that would cause "depletion of jing" as you put it--to an extent beyond the ability of our Qigong, diet, herbal supplements, Kung Fu practice, and normal lifestyle to replenish. All he meant was to continue our normal sexual activity.

All Qigong and energy practices aside, one's lifestyle alone should be in balance and in moderation where one is not depleting oneself in anyway. Otherwise, one will die sooner. The diet, herbal supplements and Qigong are tools to enable development of supernormal levels of energy to practice healing arts and martial arts after perfecting one's own health.

I will add that GMDW was quite active sexually during the years that I trained with him--which was from about age 63 to 69.

***Perhaps Sifu Garry Hearfield might share some of his conversations with the GM with regard to sexual activity.***

thanks-

Hope this helps.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

for Monk Gazes Moon should the sternum/chest be out and shoulder blades closer or should chest be slightly sunken with scapula gently spread?

How long should a round of MSW take? 20 minutes?

thanks

Thanks Lloyd and thank you very much Sifu Terry for your thoughtful and comprehensive response. To clarify, if one had a poor nights sleep or only a few hours (or if this is happening daily for a period of time), is it still OK to practice on those days?

If one opens their eyes briefly to check the elapsed time while practicing, does that halt the energy, requiring one to restart? Is it ok to alternate the half lotus with left foot on top as it becomes painful/feet go to sleep?

Also, regarding the self healing aspects of the art, do you know if it would be/has been helpful with heart conditions? Reapiring the effects of smoking? (I know you wrote that you were treating post-operative heart patients in hospital) Have you known of any incidences where it has cured cancer, aids, etc..?

thanks again very much for your time-

Edited by growant

for Monk Gazes Moon should the sternum/chest be out and shoulder blades closer or should chest be slightly sunken with scapula gently spread?

How long should a round of MSW take? 20 minutes?

thanks

Christoph,

Monk Gazing at Moon has basically the Wuchi foundation of the Flying Phoenix system. So it's down with "empty chest" (concave; stermum in) and back rounded (convex; scapula spread).

In general, 20-30 minutes is adequate to complete 7 rounds of one of the basic MSW exercises taught in Vol. 2 of the CKFH series. It depends on how slowly you do movements. One can (whenever you can afford the time to do this experiment) spend 20 minutes doing just one round (!) --especially with the longer and slightly more complex MSW meditations in Vol. 7 of the series).

Related story: Grandmaster Yip Man was said to have taken one hour to practice one round of the Sil Lim Tao (small idea form) in his Wing Chun kung-fu system.

The rule for better cultivating MSW is: the slower and more relaxed, the better.

Good luck.

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello sify Terry

I'm new to the forum I'm interested about FP and want to start exercise the sistem,I read this last page and have some questions:

-Is the FP dangerous if I'm sexual active{once monthly},or I will just lose the accumulated energy from the pratcise

-in the morning I meditate so when to exercise the FP before or after meditation or any time I want

-What are the health benefits from FP,can I exercise FP when I'm sick or have disease

-How to start

Best...

chakra -

Most of your questions about Flying Phoenix have been answered earlier. It's a lot of pages, but worth it to take 30 minutes to read what Sifu Terry has previously posted. You'll find a lot of really good information.

All the best,

Fu_dog

• Like 1

hi Harry,

Sorry to take so long to answer your questions. It's been a good but very hectic start of the New Year. Answers are in bold italic below:

Best,

Sifu Terry

Happy Hi again Sifu Terry,

thank you for taking the time... I as actually always wondering about the idea of karma and intention... so if I get you right "good" or "bad" intent actually have a great impact on the karmic aspects and rippling effects thereafter involved.

Only recently I was facing a situation in the "small": for whatever reasons I had about an uncontrollable amount of flies in my flat... I had either the option to slap them or place them outside where we had freezy cold temperatures outside: in both instances I would be killing them and I really don't know if placing them outside was the more compassionate thing to do... still no idea...

If the flies came in from the cold, they can go out into the cold. Unless you want to house them, of course.

regarding touching of the body...

I still run into that question while practicing:

for example:

in the monk holding the pearl position standing:

hands can rest on the body ... do the elbow/forearms rest on the body or are the armpits kept so wide that the arms basically float freely in the air.

Thumbs can touch the chest or you can hold the hands up to about 12 inches away from the body. Try it different ways and see what happens.

in the sitting position:

do the hands rest on the laps as well?

No. In seated meds, hands are either resting on the knees, in the "basket" shape at the tan tien, or up and away from the body. There's no part of any FP Seated Meditation where the hands are resting on the laps (tops of thighs). In the advanced MSW med in Vol. 7 with breathing seq. 70 50 20 10, there is a position where h ands are in a mudra over each knee. But they don't the knee.

Bending the bows:

when bringing the hands together in front of the throat after the wide circle:

a) do the middle fingers touch each other tip to tip? and then seperate when facing palms down again (or is there no touching at all)?

You can touch the middle fingers together throughout the first 1/2 of Bending the Bows when they're moving in line with the body's centerline.

Wind above the clouds:

same question:

a) do the finger tips touch when at throat level?

Yes, the middle finger tips can. but they don't have to.

B ) fingers covering eyes: is there any touching of the forehead/eyes?

NO. No touching the eyes or forehead.

c) when being stretched over right of left leg: does the hand of the one arm touch the other at the elbow put?

No. Keep the palm an 2-5 inches away from the inside of the elbow of the extended arm.

Sitting meditations:

the Monk serves wine meditations:

a) bringing the backs of the hands together and sliding them up at the midline before stretching them out: do the sides of the little fingers slide up along the midline by touching the body or is kept space between them.

In general, don't touch the body when bringing up the hands that way. but it won't hurt you if you do.

B ) arms in the position where hands are rotated towards each other befor being moved up above the head: do the finger tips touch each other and this even up when holding above the head (from watching the DVD I would assume you do both ways...)?

which MSW meditation are you referring to? Please name the ex. and the breathing seq. I dont' what you're describing here.

c) when actually bringing hands up above the head: on the way up or down: any touching of the forehead?

NO. Absolutely not. When moving the hands in the MSW exercise, you don't touch the head or any part of the body. That would cause friction and if you're clumsy and really heavy-handed, bumping the body may disorganize the FP energy flow or worse.

Look at the DVD more closely, Harry: I don't touch the upper body or head with moving hands.

Also, there are more advanced Monk Serves Wine meditations (Not in the DVD series) that involve 7 rounds of sequentially massaging different parts of the head and face after each breath sequence. So there is touching in these particular unpublished MSW meditations. And then there's no touching in the rest of the seated meditations that you see on the DVDs.

maybe these things are clear to all others... from watching both seems to be done - I am just not sure - and maybe it doesn't matter at all.

thankx much again in advance

sincerely

Harry

You're welcome.

Sifu Terry

P.S. BTW, most of these questions are answered if you view and practice Volume 7, the more advanced seated MSW meditations. They actually follow directly from Vol.2 and are not that much difficult to do. They are slightly longer and more elegant in their yogic choreography designed by Feng Tao Teh 400+ years ago. I just organized the series that way, putting the advanced standing meds. ahead of the adv. seated.

A different question just entered my mind... and I don't think it

has been reflected upon that specifically, Sifu Terry.

You described differences in the healing practices of two of your teachers

in this thread, explaing that in Flying Phoenix one does not specifically

manipulate energy in the channels... I was wondering: the Tuina techniques

you learned got learned in a different context... from the point of developing

a different kind of energy.

Could the Flying Phoenix energy actually be used to charge those Tuina techniques

as well... to manipulate and "force" energy into the channels etc.

or is the energy that different that it just would not do it?

thankx much in advance

Harry

Harry,

Again, it's better to learn Tui Na and energy healing from a high-level master near you than to ask detailed questions that seem to be out of any experiential context. But I will clarify this one time:

Tui Na acupressure is both a physical massage method and a delivery system for any type or "flavor" healing energy (qi). Of course: if one is highly cultivated in any particular Qigong or Neigung system, then that particular energy is dispensed in whatever fashion you do your Tui Na. I learned a 13-Stroke Tui Na system taught by GM Share K. Lew coupled with his Tao Tan Pai Neigung in the 70's to mid-80's through his senior students at that time, John Davidson and Bill Helm.

10+ years later, I learned GM Doo Wai's internal systems (martial and healing) including the Flying Phoenix Qigong and his healing methods, which involves plenty of massage and hands-on manipulation of the physical body. The Tui-Na I learned from GM Doo Wai did not have a name nor was it organized like GM Lew's system. But it was just as complete and refined.

The distinction I made between GM Doo Wai's White Tiger Family healing and GM Share Lew's Tao Tan Pai method of healing using the words,"We don't manipulate energy, we just pass our hand over" refers to doing energy healing at a distance without touching the body.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Harry,

Again, it's better to learn Tui Na and energy healing from a high-level master near you than to ask detailed questions that seem to be out of any experiential context. But I will clarify this one time:

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you Sifu Terry,

luckily I had a chance to meet Michael Lomax the last weekend here in London/UK... but thankx much for

clarifying... it helped me understand more as did your clarifications on the practices.

which MSW meditation are you referring to? Please name the ex. and the breathing seq. I dont' what you're describing here.

Actually I refer to the first two... 90 50 40 30 10 & 50 40 30 10... when one stretches the arms out (1st Monk serves wine) to the front: right the end of

that move one then rotates the hands (the fingers) towards the center line (fingers pointing towards each other) and brings them up above the head. In the 2nd

Monk serves Wine practice you do this after stretching out the arms then bringing them down and up in a circle to a similar position as in

Monk gazing at the Moon (after that you bring fingers towards each other) and then up to above the head.

Volume 7 and the others DVDs arrived.

Thank you for that!

sincerely

Harry

Thank you Sifu Terry,

luckily I had a chance to meet Michael Lomax the last weekend here in London/UK... but thankx much for

clarifying... it helped me understand more as did your clarifications on the practices.

Actually I refer to the first two... 90 50 40 30 10 & 50 40 30 10... when one stretches the arms out (1st Monk serves wine) to the front: right the end of

that move one then rotates the hands (the fingers) towards the center line (fingers pointing towards each other) and brings them up above the head. In the 2nd

Monk serves Wine practice you do this after stretching out the arms then bringing them down and up in a circle to a similar position as in

Monk gazing at the Moon (after that you bring fingers towards each other) and then up to above the head.

Thank you for that!

sincerely

Harry

Harry,

Thanks for clarifying your question. In MSW 50 40 30 10, your middle fingertips can touch but they don't have to. It doesn't matter that much. Most people, including my teacher, do it with fingertips touching now and then. If it helps you keep the hands aligned with each other when they are moving,then let the fingertips touch.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Hello Flying Phoenix-reading taobums,

I will be buried in tons of legal work (not pleasant at all... and no, I'm not a lawyer) from now until late February so please don't be a-wondering if I'm not able to respond to questions as promptly as in the past. I will try my best to be responsive, but my replies will be considerably slowed down. So in the meantime, post your questions and ask other practitioners for their answers and opinions. Also if you have general questions about Flying Phoenix, you can also ask Sifu Garry Hearfield, because he has mastered other of GM Doo Wai's internal arts created by Feng Tao Teh, and they all work similarly alchemically (yogically).

Best to all.

Terry Dunn

Thank you Sifu Terry,

Thank you for that!

sincerely

Harry

Also, I've heard very good things about Michael Lomax and the qigong he teaches.

Thank you Sifu Terry,

wishing you all the powers you need to solve whatever needs to be solved...!

sincerely

Harry

sifu

Terry do I have to do all the warm up for the 5 basic standing meditations because when I start exercise the warm up I come to the first meditation i.e monk gazing at moon and my back start to hurt also my ribs on some spots.When I'm in the position monk gazing at moon and take full breath for the sequences 60,40,20 mu back is hurting like I have energy blockades is this normal.Please some help

best..

sifu

Terry do I have to do all the warm up for the 5 basic standing meditations because when I start exercise the warm up I come to the first meditation i.e monk gazing at moon and my back start to hurt also my ribs on some spots.When I'm in the position monk gazing at moon and take full breath for the sequences 60,40,20 mu back is hurting like I have energy blockades is this normal.Please some help

best..

I'll answer from my own experience, since Sifu Terry will be away for some time.

When I don't have that much time I do a very quick warm-up, warming up the knees and then circling the arms forward, then backward.

Sifu Terry mentioned somewhere that one do not need to that much of a warm-up when one has done lot of "gong-fu". I think he is correct. Warming up is helpful in creating increased blood flow, especially in the morning.

Monk Gazing a Moon shouldn't hurt in the back. I only experienced a "internal massage"-like feeling in my shoulders, not real pain.

Hi chakra -

From my own experience I will agree with wtm. There are really no warm ups required to do any of the Flying Phoenix qigong exercises.

That said, I usually do some warm up, though often it's nothing more than 3 to 5 minutes of abdominal breathing, or perhaps some stretching.

Hope this helps.