Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Sifu Dunn -

Can you please tell us a little about the five 90-second Flying Phoenix meditations?

These seem a bit different than the other FP meditations. And, they look pretty cool. ;-)

I haven't practiced them (and won't until I progress further with my FP practice), however I did get your DVD and gave it a look this past weekend.

Do these short five FP meditations have different objectives/results?

Also, at what point in one's practice of FP should one consider these?

Finally, after someone starts practicing them, how often do you recommend?

These are quite interesting meditations, so I'm looking forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd

Sifu Dunn -

Can you please tell us a little about the five 90-second Flying Phoenix meditations?

These seem a bit different than the other FP meditations. And, they look pretty cool. ;-)

I haven't practiced them (and won't until I progress further with my FP practice), however I did get your DVD and gave it a look this past weekend.

Do these short five FP meditations have different objectives/results?

Also, at what point in one's practice of FP should one consider these?

Finally, after someone starts practicing them, how often do you recommend?

These are quite interesting meditations, so I'm looking forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

The 90-second Short Meditations (I call them "Flash" meditations) taught on Volume Five of the Chi Kung For Health series are very powerful stand-alone healing meditations in and of themselves. Yet they are also the "cherry" on top of the high-rise "sundae" that is the Flying Phoenix Celestial healing CHi Mediations system. I had hithertoo stated (quoting GM Doo Wai) that the Long Form STanding Meditation (taught on Volume 4) is the capstone of the entire system. That is entirely true. Once the student completes the basic level of the FP system with the Long Meditation with the breathing sequence 90-60-5-40-30, doing the Short 90-second meditations further solidifies the internal training...and also has a second very tangible effect that I will NOT describe here and spoil it for you (and for other readers); for it will only be disclosed to a student when he/she has just experienced the effect for him- or herself but can't quite put it into words, or is right on the verge of discovering it after putting in the diligent practice of long enough a time. That is when the teacher's teaching is most appropriate and effective.

Thanks for your questions, Lloyd.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Sifu Terry,

I've been doing regularly the standing meds on the first DVD and recently introduced monk holding peach (90 50 40 20 10). In this standing pose the legs are straight and knees locked.

I noticed that if I relax my legs I tend to tilt forward and move the weight to the balls of the feet. On the other hand, if I pull up the knee caps and tighten the legs muscles I could distribute the weight evenly on the soles.

Which one is better?

Note on Monday 6.21. Figured out that the posture could be balanced even with relaxed legs when I tilt my upper body forward just a bit.

Thanks,

Nic

Edited by nic chi

cool. are there any masters in the pittsburgh area?

Sorry for late answer; I just saw your question now:

No, unfortunately, I don't know of any teachers in the Pittsburgh area. (You must realize that Flying Phoenix Qigong and the White Tiger Kung-Fu (Bak Fu Pai) System that contains it are very rare and esoteric systems with only a small--and I mean real small--handful of qualified teachers.

Yes, the 1st opening section is Sup Jee Kuen aka small cross or Sui Sup Jee Kuen. The Middle is BFP hand set (small tiger) and the last opening I show is the Famous Mung fu Chut lam (Fierce tiger exits the forest) that is in YKM and CLC Bak Mei Pai.

regards

Garry

Let me know when you like to skype will be much cheaper than the phone line? :)

Hi Sifu Garry,

Just checking to see if you received my PM. I sent it a few moments ago. it's lengthy list of video contents, so you'll have this first. But when I sent it (twice) there was an unusual message from teh taobums software. let me know if it got through. If not, I'll send through outside email. I'm am now just digging out of what has been the roughest, most stressful challenging week of my entire life.

Best,

Terry

Hello Taobums and Flying Phoenix buffs --

I know this is quite far off the subject of Flying Phoenix qigong, but I'd like to bring to your attention to a legal battle that I have just instigated against a Hollywood film studio, Dreamworks Animation (and also Dreamworks SKG) that I contend in a lawsuit had pilfered my original concept, story ideas, key story elements, and the bulk of my cast of characters to make their film "Kung Fu Panda."

In the months to come--for this will be a hard-fought litigation, I hope to continue my work as a teacher that the demonstrates my personal philosophy that "the art comes first".

Regards to all.

Sifu Terry Dunn

http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/06/tai-chi-expert-claims-kung-fu-panda-stolen-from-his-pitch.html

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=10802772

http://today.msnbc.m...-entertainment/

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni2683505/

http://www.247online.ro/tag/kung-fu-panda/

http://news.yahoo.co...n_nm/us_panda_3

http://misstilaomg.c...con-fool-panda/

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/100602/entertainment/centertainment_us_panda?printer=1

http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=6e99vlp4qjs9c

Hollywood is a den of manipulative thieves. This is not the first time they've done this - particularly when it comes to plagiarizing Eastern culture. So thank you for seeking justice against these shady crooks - we need many, many more people to do the same! No more Mr. Nice Guy when honor is on the line! :D

Terry,

I'm looking at starting the FP seated meditations again and I have a couple of questions, how much time should I do each of the basic meditations for each day, secondly how long should I spend on them before progressing to the monk serves wine meditations 4,5,6..

Daniel

Edited by DanC

Sifu Terry -

I very much appreciate your explanation of the 90 second meditations. Very cool indeed!

I am not ready for them yet, however, they definitely give me something to look forward to.....a cherry on the cake, as you describe it.

One thing I am enjoying very much about the FP system is there are a number of steps to take along the way to realizing the expression of the system. And you said there are more advanced FP meditations that go beyond what can be reasonable taught via video....which I also liked hearing.

I have another question. You refer to FP as an "esoteric" system. I understand how Webster defines the word, however, can you please explain what *you* mean by "esoteric" in this context? i.e., what is an "esoteric qigong"?

Thanks,

Lloyd

Note: edited for grammar.

Edited by Fu_dog

Just bumping this thread for Sifu Terry so it doesn't get lost. Also Terry any ETA on the book?

Has anyone lost weight by practicing the meds? I dropped from 185 pounds to 172 within a month or so and stabilized around 172. I do feel an increased vitality during my other workouts (cardio & pilates) and deeper and calmer breathing throughout the day.

I have been doing the first 4 meds on the first DVD for about 8 weeks now.

Nic

Terry,

I'm looking at starting the FP seated meditations again and I have a couple of questions, how much time should I do each of the basic meditations for each day, secondly how long should I spend on them before progressing to the monk serves wine meditations 4,5,6..

Daniel

Hello Daniel,

If you work your way through all the standing meditations of CKFH-Volume One (on a daily basis) and extend each meditation an extra 3 to 5 minutes, so that you practice session runs about 70 minutes, that would be a good, solid start. If you don't have that amount of time, then just work through Volume One in real time (about 55 min.)

You can start the Monk Serves Wine meditations on Volume Two at any time. But the more of the basic seated meditations that you do (50 30 10), (50 10 50) and (5 60 80 40 30), the deeper the effects and benefits you'll get from the the "Monk Serves Wine" med's. The MSW med's are basic meditations relative to the Flying Phoenix system as a whole--although compared to outside qigong systems, their ancient and classic quality--and their fast-acting energizing effects--make them seem to be advanced.

Good luck and enjoy your practice.

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Just bumping this thread for Sifu Terry so it doesn't get lost. Also Terry any ETA on the book?

Dan,

Due to other overwhelming business obligations including those of the legal sort, I won't be finishing the Flying Phoenix Qigong book as early as I had planned--originally contemplated by September of this year. I am slowly and steadily working on it however.

Will keep the taobums informed of progress.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hello Everybody,

I want to encourage you all--if you haven't already seen it--to take a close look at Sifu Garry Hearfield's posting on May 28 on this thread of this link to his video clips containing his demonstrations of Ehrmei Bak Mei (White Eyebrow) Kung-fu, Bak Fu Pai (White Tiger Kung-fu), and at about 1:20 the Burning Palm system--all taught to him by GM Doo Wai (except for the opening form, which is Primordial Chaos Palm from another master)--who taught me the Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditation system, Bak Fu Pai, and several other rare internal arts that I've mentioned in earlier postings. Sifu Hearfield's martial art demo's will give you the proper historical context of Flying Phoenix healing art practice. FP Qigong is the medical,healing qigong practice under the "umbrella" of GM Doo Wai's family system. As practitioners have discovered, Flying Phoenix energy cultivation is very "Yin" and powerful. This nature perfectly balances the very "Yang" and powerful nature of GM Doo Wai's martial systems.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Sifu Terry -

I very much appreciate your explanation of the 90 second meditations. Very cool indeed!

I am not ready for them yet, however, they definitely give me something to look forward to.....a cherry on the cake, as you describe it.

One thing I am enjoying very much about the FP system is there are a number of steps to take along the way to realizing the expression of the system. And you said there are more advanced FP meditations that go beyond what can be reasonable taught via video....which I also liked hearing.

I have another question. You refer to FP as an "esoteric" system. I understand how Webster defines the word, however, can you please explain what *you* mean by "esoteric" in this context? i.e., what is an "esoteric qigong"?

Thanks,

Lloyd

Note: edited for grammar.

Hi Lloyd,

I'm glad you are enjoying the cultivational steps of the Flying Phoenix system. It's a nicely structured, elegant, and self-regulating Qigong system that doesn't require the hands-on supervision of a master for beginners to start enjoying its health benefits. BTW, you can start the short, 90-second meditations in Volume 5 anytime. I reckon that you've been practicing FP now for about 6-7 months? If you're comfortable with the meditations of Vols. 1 thru 3, and even if you haven't fully learned the Standing Long Form of Vol.4, there's no harm in practicing Vol. 5.

FP is esoteric in that up until GM Doo Wai gave me permission to publish FP instructions on DVD's and book(s), it was an art kept totally secret within his family tradition. It was taught only to GMDW's private kung-fu students to varying degrees of completeness. Thus for six generations FP Qigong along with the rest of GMDW's White Tiger system was a secretive, cabalistic art.

You might say that with the Chi Kung For Health DVD series, I took Flying Phoenix qigong--and its unique energy-cultivating alchemy-- from being "esoteric" to a little more "exoteric"--a little more public and accessible by everybody, as opposed to just initiates of GMDW's White Tiger Kung Fu tradition.

Thanks for your questions...they're causing me to think more about the art in perspective.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Just for the record, GMDW (Sifu Terry and myselfs) Sifu or teacher, always commented on Sifu Terry Dunns FP system and how he has the best knowledge and has studied it for over a decade. To be honest and I love all kung fu, If you are gonna start FP and i know there is others claiming it under GMDW I would only go with Master Terry Dunn because of the conversations I have had with our teacher over the years as well reading his post you can tell he knows what the system is about. I wont go in detail but Sifu Terry Dunns FP if you start it, its worth more then a brick of gold.

Sihing, you are too kind, thankyou but your background in other internal systems and BFP'S and Doo Family secrets you have are some of the best stuff that Sifu has put out. I'll get some stuff to send to you when time permits, all is good here brother!

Kindest regards

Garry :)

Just for the record, GMDW (Sifu Terry and myselfs) Sifu or teacher, always commented on Sifu Terry Dunns FP system and how he has the best knowledge and has studied it for over a decade. To be honest and I love all kung fu, If you are gonna start FP and i know there is others claiming it under GMDW I would only go with Master Terry Dunn because of the conversations I have had with our teacher over the years as well reading his post you can tell he knows what the system is about. I wont go in detail but Sifu Terry Dunns FP if you start it, its worth more then a brick of gold.

Sihing, you are too kind, thankyou but your background in other internal systems and BFP'S and Doo Family secrets you have are some of the best stuff that Sifu has put out. I'll get some stuff to send to you when time permits, all is good here brother!

Kindest regards

Garry :)

Sifu Garry,

As you said earlier while blushing, "Aw Shucks"-- Thanks very much for your kind endorsement and positive critique. But thank you most importantly for conveying GM Doo Wai's approval of my teaching of the FP Qigong that he had expressed to you over the years. He had given me his nod of approval when I produced the very first version of Chi Kung For Health (5 volumes teaching the FP Qigong) on VHS tape in 1995, but since I completely re-did the programs in 2003 (with outdoor location sin Death Valley, Calif.), I have not had any contact with the Grandmaster. So your feedback at this time is most gratifying.

Thanks so much for your support, Garry. I want to repeat how glad I am that you had background, the "chops", the "ren", and great learning capacity to receive in their entirety so much of GM Doo Wai's ADVANCED martial and healing art. At the risk of turning this discussion thread into a mutual admiration society, I will say one last thing: meeting you through this blogsite and seeing your level of BFP, Burning Palm, and Ehrmei Bak Mei Kung-Fu has reminded me how rare and valuable GM Doo Wai's teachings are :ninja: and has inspired me to redouble my personal training efforts. Over the past 5-6 months, I've carefully reviewed all my training notes and videos that I took starting in 1991 of my time with GMDW and also re-cataloged the 100+ herbal formulas that he gave us--and to start using more of them. And after demonstrating on video the past two Wednesday evenings (during my qigong class) a number of the Forms ("Sections") of Bat Dim Gum (Eight Sections of Energy Combined), I am thinking about putting the very basic-basic preparatory exercises of Bat Dim Gum (The Eight Sections of Energy Combined)on commercial DVD's (this will be a 2011 project.)

I'm glad to hear that all's well on your side of the Pacific...I will likewise dig up and assemble more materials from the training years under GMDWand get those over to you.

All the Best,

Terry

Hello Si-hing,

BDG DVD sounds like a winner, I think the time is Now, to show GMDW families art and make people aware how powerful the arts are inside BFP!

Fate, brought us together here, I know Sifu is watching and would be delighted that we have found our friendship as well most importantly to show the world BFP.

Take care my brother, have a awesome day...

Garry

Dan,

Due to other overwhelming business obligations including those of the legal sort, I won't be finishing the Flying Phoenix Qigong book as early as I had planned--originally contemplated by September of this year. I am slowly and steadily working on it however.

Will keep the taobums informed of progress.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Looking forward to reading the book.

I find this thread a great source of info from sifu Terry and sifu Garry.

Nic

Hi Lloyd,

I'm glad you are enjoying the cultivational steps of the Flying Phoenix system. It's a nicely structured, elegant, and self-regulating Qigong system that doesn't require the hands-on supervision of a master for beginners to start enjoying its health benefits. BTW, you can start the short, 90-second meditations in Volume 5 anytime. I reckon that you've been practicing FP now for about 6-7 months? If you're comfortable with the meditations of Vols. 1 thru 3, and even if you haven't fully learned the Standing Long Form of Vol.4, there's no harm in practicing Vol. 5.

FP is esoteric in that up until GM Doo Wai gave me permission to publish FP instructions on DVD's and book(s), it was an art kept totally secret within his family tradition. It was taught only to GMDW's private kung-fu students to varying degrees of completeness. Thus for six generations FP Qigong along with the rest of GMDW's White Tiger system was a secretive, cabalistic art.

You might say that with the Chi Kung For Health DVD series, I took Flying Phoenix qigong--and its unique energy-cultivating alchemy-- from being "esoteric" to a little more "exoteric"--a little more public and accessible by everybody, as opposed to just initiates of GMDW's White Tiger Kung Fu tradition.

Thanks for your questions...they're causing me to think more about the art in perspective.

Sifu Terry Dunn

I am grateful to GM Doo Wai for allowing his family art to become public and to sifu Terry for the efforts he put in to make it easy to understand and learn.

Thank you both.

Nic

I am grateful to GM Doo Wai for allowing his family art to become public and to sifu Terry for the efforts he put in to make it easy to understand and learn.

Thank you both.

Nic

Hi Nic, Thanks very much for your kind words and I'm very glad to hear that you've gotten good results from practice of the Flying Phoenix qigong, including your weight reduction and stabilization. That shows that you've seriously gotten into the training. Yes, the FP system goes far to bring all the body's organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind. Once you go longer and a little deeper into FP Qigong training, you will realize the profound implication of that process statement.

All the best,

Terry Dunn