markern

Focusing on a particular organ with qigong

the heart has many layers, 108, your gentleness has to go through each of them, when you reach the core, you are closer to...

in fact, so does the dantian, IME, the layears of organs and their specific vibrations act as gates and layers that separate the upper mind and the intuitive mind in the lower abdomen

I'm not sure why this happens from time to time, but I've spent most of the night with my heart really flaring up with desire and I've just been sitting here trying to be mindful of it while doing the heart healing sound. I think I'm finally starting to get a little sleepy though most of the night is gone. I don't really understand why this happens every so often. I did do quite a bit of Samantha today, don't know if that's somehow related.

*I suppose another clue was that today it was hard to focus on studying. With the heart housing the mind I suppose that makes sense as well.

Layers. That really resonates with me.

So many layers to peel.

It's easy to get frustrated when an old emotional cycle reveals itself again even after 'considerable time spent contemplating and healing has been undertaken'...

'seriously? this problem is up again?'-'I've dealt with this! why am I here again?'-'why does this never go away?'

I find the onion metaphor releases some of the ego abuse that goes with peeling.

Many layers to peel to get to the center. Today's work is today's work.

My core emotional issues were built over many moments, reinforcing the emotional onion or knot.

So there are many layers to peel to reveal the truth of the core.

So while I am 'still' dealing with (insert name of my emotional issue here)... I am not in the same place I was as the last time I peeled this onion, I'm not peeling the same layer. The work is progressing. The work is cumulative. Having this in mind helps me to release the self abuse that goes with the 'here I am again woe-is-me' ego trick.

Somewhere inside a voice says 'just drop the onion'. Can't tell if it's a guilt tape talking, or my higher self.

Or maybe my emotional onions are really tootsie pops and I'm still enjoying the 'taste' of the process.

Anyhow, thanks for the layer reminder. Good timing for me on this one.

• Like 2

So its been a while since I last did a lot of intense organ meditation and I had forgotten how intense it could be. So for the past couple days I've been working on my liver using the healing sound and the inner smile and man all sorts of stuff has been happening! Its like all these intense emotions and memories from the past, particularly any that had been conflict or stress related are just coming up by the bucket load. I've found myself remembering very vividly past unpleasant memories and feeling what I felt at the time that those events happened.

I'm glad I've done this before or it would really be freaking me out, but this is the same sort of thing that has happened in the past every times I've done this. But why do it? cause after those few intense days of unpleasant feelings the long term issues get resolved and patterns that had been long standing fade away. So yea that's the reason I'm doing this, not because I'm masochistic lol.

Just curious if anyone else does this kind of meditation?

*edit: I was further thinking about the discussion last week regarding the Liver/hun/ethereal soul being the subconscious that survives death and gives rise to the new individual that is reborn. With this being the case I began to think about how then working on the Liver could be so intense as it carries with in it all the subconscious tendencies and memories of not just this life time but countless past lives as well. So therefore any deeply entrenched habits, traits, and patterns would be located here. No wonder working on the Liver is such a difficult thing to do.

Edited by dmattwads

the deepest states I've reached with longevity breathing were at times I was doing healing sounds pretty much every day during the time period. longest breaths, longest periods of no gap awareness, the whole knot. cant say for sure whether it was a coincidence, though :D

the deepest states I've reached with longevity breathing were at times I was doing healing sounds pretty much every day during the time period. longest breaths, longest periods of no gap awareness, the whole knot. cant say for sure whether it was a coincidence, though :D

Hmmm interesting. Did things get intense when you were doing lots of healing sounds?

One can focus on any part of the body as a wishful thinking. For example, let's say the liver is dysfunctional, one would think by focusing on it during meditation would restore the liver back to normalcy. However, to my understanding, any damaged part in the body will go through a self-healing process. Regardless, it was focused upon it or not.

Hmmm interesting. Did things get intense when you were doing lots of healing sounds?

not to any degree that I could attribute it to that practice. it was calming and balancing. to the extent that things got "intense," it was the depth really.

One can focus on any part of the body as a wishful thinking. For example, let's say the liver is dysfunctional, one would think by focusing on it during meditation would restore the liver back to normalcy. However, to my understanding, any damaged part in the body will go through a self-healing process. Regardless, it was focused upon it or not.

are you asserting that bringing the focus of awareness to bear upon an illness would not be effective?

not to any degree that I could attribute it to that practice. it was calming and balancing. to the extent that things got "intense," it was the depth really.

What I've noticed is that if I go through all the organs quickly then I generally feel just relaxed and peaceful, but if I focus on any one for a length of time and go deep with in it that the purging process starts which can be very intense. I spent an hour on just my liver a few days ago and I was kind of floored afterwards lol, but now that, that is abating I feel very nice.

interesting...I didnt do any of them for such lengths of time. few minutes, 3-6 breaths each.

interesting...I didnt do any of them for such lengths of time. few minutes, 3-6 breaths each.

yea when I do it that way this kind of thing does not happen haha. Though the healing process sucks, afterwards having those old patterns gone is great!

*edit: something else I've noticed about working on the liver. If I start to think an unkind or judgmental thought about someone I seem to notice more and think "oh that's not nice" and then think something good about the person instead. I guess this is the liver anger being turned into kindness and compassion :)

Edited by dmattwads

You know a while back I used to do this type of qigong extensively (working on specific organs) for various reasons but just recently have starting doing it again and I think its great! I started off earlier this week working on my Spleen and that felt really good. Yesterday I did my Lungs and that made me feel really good too. Today it was the Liver which also made me feel great.

The main method I use is a combination of the inner smile and the healing sounds.

Does anyone else do much work with organs like this? If so what do you notice from it?

Could you elaborate in detail on the roles, emotions or feelings associated with the Zang Fu organs?

For starters, we tend to think of the main zang (yin) organs and these basic emotions:

Heart - Joy

Liver - Anger

Spleen - Worry

Lung - Grief

Kidney - Fear

Plus Pericardium meridian, paired with Sanjiao?

But what about their paired "downstream" fu (yang) organs? They are also heavily influenced by the predominant "upstream" zang emotions, but what emotions do they represent more specifically at their functional positions?

Small Intestine - ?

Large Intestine - ?

Gall Bladder - ?

Urinary Bladder - ?

Stomach - ?

Sanjiao - ?