Sign in to follow this  
everseeking

Kundalini, the spine, and back problems.

Hello all, I have been wondering this for a while.

Can I arouse Kundalini despite having a lower back problem? Will/might it help the back problem? Be more difficult due to the back problem?

Heres some background--

I have a back problem--splondylosthesis at lumbar the junction 4-5. My (entire) back 'pops' easily.

One of my mother's brothers had spinal stenosis, and maybe some other back problems. He had to have back surgery in his late 30's or early 40's.

My mom's other brother had to have back surgery for a bulging or ruptured disk.

One of my Brothers (Half brother--different fathers, same mother) had to have back surgery for a ruptured disc, and had scoliosis If I recall correctly--when young. He is in his mid thirties.

My mother's father has never had to have back surgery, but he did have to changes jobs because his back would bother him at times.

Okay, so here I am, 27, and I have to drive about 2 hours a day, 4-5 days of the week. Im also in class about 12 or maybe more hours per week, sitting in a char. When I'm home, I have to study a lot, and --yes, sit.

So, I haven't been able to work out at all really, for about 1.5 years or more--no time, I'm in Nursing school. Almost DONE!!

Anyway, all this sitting has made my lower back start to bother me. As long as I lift weights on a semi regular basis, my back doesn;t bother me much-if at all. But all this forced innactivity as of late has weakened it even more. It tends to feel uncomfortable a lot of the day, sometimes in the AM.

I started doing the wrestlers bridge as reccomended on Trunk's site, and a few other crazy stretches, (even though a doctor would likely tell me not to) every day once or twice for a few minutes. This has all but eliminated the problematic feelings.

So then, given this approximation of the degree of my problem, and the inherited aspect, how might this all play into me attempting to arouse Kundalini ? I plan on devoting more time to meditation after I graduate in May, and I have been wondering for some time if this back problem will get better simply by arousing Kundalini (as if it were simple to do..) and also if it will be more difficult or impossible to arouse the Kundalini given my back problem(s).

Thoughts? I would really appreciate some kind if an answer.

Kundalini is very Healing. And if you do what is in KAP you will find that all of it is SELF HEALING on many levels.

The Chi KUng in it alone will heal you of most ailments.

s

Thank you SO MUCH! I was hoping you would be the one to reply. Stuff keeps coming between me and KAP tuition, I've decided to just wait 'till I feel like I have the time to devote to it and the mental energy. I don't want to put a time line on it so much as I want to plan on beginning it in less that 1 year, hopefully no later that this summer. Maybe I will do an in person session before signing up for the skype class.

I've been making progress with Chi Gung, and that will have to do for now.

Blessings to you :-)

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis. I used to have quite a lot of pain and little mobility and got stiffer and stiffer. What changed it was doing more Iyengar yoga than other styles because it is so precise in its instructions and doing a lot of pilates. Pilates realy builds and structures the musles in the core and suporting the spine in a very good way. This took care of most of it. Doing myofacial integration and cranio sacral therapy also took care of a lot. During the summer I did a long ayurvedic detox coupled with daily Iyegar. I believe the detox gave me back a lot of my softnes and moveability. They also had some stuff built that one could ly on and get the spine strecthed while in a back bend. That was incredibly usefull for elongating the spine and creating space between the discs. Headstand hanging from a rope without the head on the floor will do a lot of the same. An inversion table will do it even better I think and could really be something to look into. I also have a lot of faith in yin yang yoga for these issues. The yin part has very long, very soft stretches following taoist prinsciples and restorative poses that works the connective tissues very well and do a lot of good for joints and the deeper chi flow. The yang part builds and exercises muslces in a very good way and works well with the chi in a different way. For correcting problems in the spine I think yin yang yoga coupled with an inversion table and possible some pilates added in as well could be a perfect package. If you have slipped discs I would believe the spinal elongation would be the most useful. Intuflow could also do some good beause it is so good for joint mobility chi flow and moveability. At least according to what I have read energetic kidney problems can also lead to physical lower back problems. KAP should take care of that if you have them. Since at present you do not have much time to practice and the stretches are doing you good I would say go with that and get an inversion table as well. When time alows you can add other useful stuff.

Lots of good suggestions here.

For me, here's a bunch of key things:

-posture. posture, posture, posture. pooooostuuuuuure

-Stretching, especially the hamstrings - although some ways to stretch it you have to be careful with a spondylolisthesis because it can cause it to worsen if you stretch improperly. I have a bit of spondylolisthesis, it stays put when I am exercised well, but certain things can cause it to worsen.

-mule kicks on all fours, done gently for range of motion, medial extension of the leg also helps and can be easily combined in that exercise.

-leg tai yang acupressure/massage of ub sinew meridian

-xing shen zhuang has at least four different exercises that have proved invaluable for keeping the lower spine and hips loose.

-walking

-POSTURE!!!

-riding a bike

-crunches, situps - keep the balance, a strong back needs a strong stomach.

-nice hot baths

-familiarize yourself with your anterior longitudinal ligament

I also do internal manipulations of sorts with breathing, something akin to massaging the anterior aspect of the lumbosacral junction with the psoas - I need to be careful with that if there's inflammation, cant do it too hard, slower the better.

edit: beyond me how I forgot just standing in the wuji posture :D

Edited by joeblast

dont just base your information from the internet, get real life help/guidance from a good teacher

many times we think we know....until we meet a higher level practitioner who really knows

Edited by SingaporeGuyHere

Sign in to follow this