DustWalker

Ni Hua-Ching / Nan Huai-Ching

I've heard a lot of good things about Ni Hua-Ching /Nan Huai-Ching..

He has published a huge lump of books, well over 20 at least.. So it seems a little bit hard to know where to dive in. I want to get let's say 3 of his best books, the ones with the most juice in, and avoid the ones that are mere seminar-talk transcripts as these type of books seldom tend to go very deep into any subject.

So which ones got the most bang for the buck. ?! ;)

I'm not thinking of his diamond sutra translation right now, since I'm more interested in his taoist material.

Cheers.

hey dustwalker,

i'm a little irritated - how come you throw those two authors into one pot??

:huh:

9852[/snapback]

Haha! I simply assumed they where different spellings of the same author!! :o

So they're not then I assume?!

Not the same.

Can you read chinese? Most of Nan Huaijin's stuff isn't available in english.

Dunno 'bout the other guy - can't give any recommendations.

Master Ni & Master Nan... I think its Master Ni that has written many many books... I think it's best to find a book shop and have a look at several of them... I think that his I Ching book is very beautiful and there is a yellow covered one with spiritual practices...

he is most writing about how to live life in a certain way... if there are any practices in the books they are widely buried and except the yellow cover one there seems to be no real "training book" regarding meditation or Qi Gong... I think is Dao In book & video are very good... and the Tao Te Ching sure is as well...

I think one of Master Nan's books to read is Tao & Longevity...

just a few thoughts

Harry

Master Ni & Master Nan... I think its Master Ni that has written many many books... I think it's best to find a book shop and have a look at several of them... I think that his I Ching book is very beautiful and there is a yellow covered one with spiritual practices...

he is most writing about how to live life in a certain way... if there are any practices in the books they are widely buried and except the yellow cover one there seems to be no real "training book" regarding meditation or Qi Gong... I think is Dao In book & video are very good... and the Tao Te Ching sure is as well...

I think one of Master Nan's books to read is Tao & Longevity...

just a few thoughts

Harry

9857[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip Harry! Will definitely check out the Tao & longevity from Nan next time, and yes the Dao Yin exercise book from Ni looks interesting too. :)

That was just funny. Typically me to confuse two different writers like that. My awareness of chinese names really isn't that good I can see hehe. :rolleyes:

Hope you can forgive me Affenbrot! :D

Unfortunately I don't think there are any bookshops in Sweden or Scandinavia for that matter offering such a wide selection of taoist litterature, so browsing for myself is out of the question. (I was in store in Gothenburg a couple months ago that was supposed to be the largest Esoteric bookshop in Scandinavia, the taoist section had maybe 6 different books by mantak chia and one or two odd ones plus ken cohen's "way of qigong" and that was it. To me that was hands off the largest selection of taoist books I've ever seen for sale under the same roof in this country.)

Thank G*d for internet bookshops! :D

dustwalker, I wasn't really sure if you just had mixed them up or if there was a hidden connection for you, please excuse me furrowing my brow!

SheepishLord has posted two links for Nan book in the links/books section, I'm sure they are worth reading. I too can recommend "Tao and Longevity" by Nan, I think the content of it is really unique and highly interesting. I also read two other books by Nan : History of chinese Zen , which I found extremley boring (but I admit I'm not too much interested in the topic anyway), and his history of Taoism, which was o.k. , a bit too scholary (not exactly the stories about daoism that rock)

About Master Ni I don't know much. I own one book by Brian Walker "Hua Hu Ching -The unknown teachings of Lao Tzu" . The author states that his work is largely based upon the teachings of Master Ni. A very beautiful book!

so long,

affenbrot

Edited by affenbrot

I've heard a lot of good things about Ni Hua-Ching /Nan Huai-Ching..

He has published a huge lump of books, well over 20 at least.. So it seems a little bit hard to know where to dive in. I want to get let's say 3 of his best books, the ones with the most juice in, and avoid the ones that are mere seminar-talk transcripts as these type of books seldom tend to go very deep into any subject.

So which ones got the most bang for the buck. ?! ;)

I'm not thinking of his diamond sutra translation right now, since I'm more interested in his taoist material.

Cheers.

The three 'foundation' books as recommended by the College of Tao are:

Enrich Your Life With Virtue

Harmony the Art of Life

The Gentle Path of Spiritual Progress

The 'diamond sutra translation' is The Complete Works of Lao Tzu: Tao Teh Ching & Hua Hu Ching. There is some conjecture that the 'prince' is Siddhartha.

Does anyone know the difference between Hua Ching Ni's books on Dao Yin vs. Eight Treasures?

Does anyone know the difference between Hua Ching Ni's books on Dao Yin vs. Eight Treasures?

Hey coyote -- sorry for the delay in reply.

Master Ni's Dao Yin is (in a broad sense) a little like yoga. You open with stretching in lying positions. The central exercises are seated on the floor combining stretching, breathing, visualisation and meridian stimulation. The closing involves gathering allowing Qi to pass back through into the channels.

The Eight Treasures (not the Eight Pieces of Brocade) are eight sequences of standing Qigong which again involve stretching, breathing, visualisation and meridian stimulation, with of course a concluding gathering sequence.

They are essentially achieving a similar outcome with the main difference being that one is sitting and lying whilst the other is a completely standing practice.

Hope this helps

Blessings

Why would the Diamond Sutra need an explanation, I thought? But I get the book anyway and was pleasantly surprised, as it is a very entertaining read. I was less impressed with Tao and Longevity. YMMV.