TheSongsofDistantEarth

What Buddhism and Taoism have in Common?

Hey Marble - I wonder what kind of demented future his Buddhism sees for you. And all because you refuse to believe in DO. Shame on you! LOL

Hehehe. I'm sure I will be something like a three-leged pig.

But that's fine too since I don't hold to the concept of reincarnation.

But then, I think I would like to come back as a nymphomaniac. That should be fun.

No, wait ... I'm sure I'll come back as a Buddha. Oh! I just feel so sure of that!

Happy Trails!

Hey Marble - I wonder what kind of demented future his Buddhism sees for you. And all because you refuse to believe in DO. Shame on you! LOL

Actually. I have said this many, many times here. It goes to show how selective one's reading is. But, it doesn't take seeing D.O. to have a good future life. It just takes virtue. Seeing D.O. guarantees liberation in a few lives though.

Actually. I have said this many, many times here. It goes to show how selective one's reading is. But, it doesn't take seeing D.O. to have a good future life. It just takes virtue. Seeing D.O. guarantees liberation in a few lives though.

Well, I still want to be a nymphomaniac. Would you talk with the Buddha and arrange that for me?

Happy Trails!

Well, I still want to be a nymphomaniac. Would you talk with the Buddha and arrange that for me?

Happy Trails!

The Buddha has no control over your karma, the Buddha can only influence your mind to make the right steps with your karma.

The Buddha has no control over your karma, the Buddha can only influence your mind to make the right steps with your karma.

Well, forget it then. I'll just go find me a nymphomaniac.

Wait a minute! Maybe I can find that one I knew up in Augusta, Georgia.

Looks like a road trip tomorrow.

Happy Trails to me!

Does D.O. mean demented origination? :D

ralis

Edited by ralis

Sorry to disappoint your ego but I don't read all your posts. Man you really like to insult people don't you. Screw the point, it's more fun to insult the person! Would the Buddha be happy with your constant ad hominens here. If so I will gladly quit zen, but I think he would tell you you are very unskilled.

Anyway, what you say makes no logical sense. First you say it JUST takes virtue. Then you say screw virtue, all I have to do is see DO and I am magically GUARANTEED liberation in a few lives. WHAAAA??? Which one is it. You can't have it both way. Sorry but what you say makes absolutely no logical sense.

Now forget the point, and look for a way to launch an ad hominen = attack the person and not the point. Cmon, you know you want to; you crave it; you can't control your run away ego and you must do it ... GRRRRRRRR ... ARRRRRGH :angry: <insert ad hominen here>

Edited by Tao99

LOL! Yes, I always thought you didn't have the capacity in this lifetime. Which is fine. Be a good Taoist! ;)

Marble, I apologize for this statement, it was harsh. Sincerely... your brother in higher learning. VH.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

I was trying to set you up for a rebuttal like, "Your right! My capacity is Taoist, and I'm content with that." Which would fizzle out any sort of negativity in the statement. But... I do apologize.

Buddhism and Taoism have in common the first stages of the path that ultimately leads to full awakening.

They have in common merit accumulation.

The jing - chi - shen transformations are non denominational and occur to both Buddhists and Taoists the same.

It's just that different things are given emphasis in the Vajrayana to mark the path.

but the right - left and central channel especially which is more important is common in both Buddhism and Taoism.

As for Chan (Zen) masters they all knew these transformations, but refused to talk about them because they considered them low stage. Real cultivation begins after the first enlightenment and Chan focuses on prajna transcedental wisdom, seeing truth of inherently empty dependent origination.

Taoism is more a form school Buddhism is more a mind school. But that doesn't mean Buddhism practitioners don't experience jing chi shen emptiness transformations. Of course Vajrayana doesn't lack anything about body cultivation.

Edited by ngtest

I was trying to set you up for a rebuttal like, "Your right! My capacity is Taoist, and I'm content with that." Which would fizzle out any sort of negativity in the statement. But... I do apologize.

Accepted. Last night just before I logged of I made the decision that I will no longer argue about any topic on this forum. Arguing is not productive. I decided that if I cannot find something positive to say to a subject I would say nothing at all.

Arguing is fun but it is non-productive and I think it actually forces people away from posting for fear that someone will argue against what they have said and try to make them look bad.

But that doesn't mean that we can't have fun discussions. We'll see how it goes.

Peace & Love!

I just heard something from one of my Buddhist audio cds that has me troubled. If I understand this right in (Buddhist Yoga Tantra) it appears I was born a woman (and of course this holds for every other woman on this planet - including all of your mothers, sisters, girlfriends and daughters) because my past merit is less than that of a man. Being born a man means one has accumulated enough good merit in past lives that one finally automatically gets to be born such even if the rebirth still remains unconscious.

I'm upset now over the fact I was born a woman. It is an outer sign of inferior merit to even the least of men - including the rapist, murderer and suicide terror bomber. I hope in the future I get to be reborn as a man.

*heavy sigh* :(

Being born as a woman in a patriarchal civilization is bad karma. Being born as a man in a matriarchal civilization is bad karma. Being born black in a white supremacist society is also bad karma. Don't worry, bad karma is never the "fault" of victims. As there's no abiding soul, no being should be held accountable for the fruits of conditions from the distant past. You certainly shouldn't "accept" it as fate, destiny, natural law or something like that! Karma isn't necessarily "fair" or "just". Buddhism is war against karma.

Edited by nac

...gallery_414_82_1168001182.jpg

White Tara , pictured above , is featured in Chapter 14 : The Healing Trinity . The description is on pages 101 , 102 , with the full thangka , titled Chintachakra Tara , White Tara , the Wish-Fulfilling Wheel , displayed on page 103 . In brief :

White Tara | Tibetan : drol ma kar mo | The female Buddha of longevity.

" . . . with a hue white like an autumn moon -- radiant like a stainless crystal jewel , shining with rays of light , one face , two hands , and having three eyes ; with the conduct of having sixteen years of age . The right hand is in the mudra of supreme generosity ; the left holds with the thumb and forefinger the stem of a white utpala to the heart with the petals blossoming at the ear . Representing the buddhas of the three times the single stem is divided into three , in the middle is a blossoming flower , the right in fruition , the left in the form of a bud ; adorned with various jewel ornaments ; having various silk upper garments and a lower garment of red silk ; seated with the legs in vajra posture . The palms of the hands and feet each have an eye -- the seven eyes of pristine awareness. "

Sachen Ngagwang Kunga Lodro | 1729-1783

Seated on a moon and pink lotus seat rising from the blue lotus pond below she emanates a blue-orange nimbus and a green-pink areola surrounded on the sides and above by pink lotus blossoms.

Tara is a completely enlightened buddha and as a young bodhisattva she promised always to appear in the form of a female bodhisattva and goddess for the benefit of all beings and especially to protect from the eight fears . In this white form she appears specifically for the purpose of bestowing longevity . Practiced in all Schools of Tibetan Buddhism Tara is second in popularity only to Avalokiteshvara . Her practices are found in all classes of tantra -- Nyingma and Sarma .

Jeff Watt

Female Buddhas

White Tara | Eastern Tibet | Uncertain Lineage | 19th century | Ground Mineral Pigment on Cotton

You could try a Tibetan Red Hat (pre-Gelugpa) tradition.

21tara-3_jpg.jpg

More info: http://lhamo.tripod.com/9deity.htm

Peace & Love!

:) I truly do feel all gushy mushy inside bro... really...

It's all good. Did you know that the main teacher of Dzogchen is Samantabhadra? You know what the means? "The All Good"... hehe.

Edit........................

Different topic to general group:

Yeah... Tibetan Vajrayana is soooo deep... People should read some Autobiographies. Blazing Splendor, Brilliant Moon. Many, many more. It is a culture that should not at all be judged superficially!! It's far deeper than the Dalai Lama... though the Dalai Lama is far deeper than most want to see.

Ah... to each as deep as they wish to see, both externally and internally.

Everyone has their process. :mellow:

Edited by Vajrahridaya

:) I truly do feel all gushy mushy inside bro... really...

It's all good.

Yes, it's all natural. Can't be otherwise.

But then we do have the option of choosing how we wish to relate with others. I have made my choice. All others must make their own choices.

Peace & Love!