Mal

Breathing and Attention-Span

I did the underwater breath-holding practice that Wenger recommends one summer about 5 years ago, very faithfully, every day, would dive down to the bottom of a swimming pool and hang onto a heavy rock I had placed at the bottom for increasing amounts of time, and...alas, was not able to subjectively say that anything changed.

Maybe others have had different experiences?

I did the underwater breath-holding practice that Wenger recommends one summer about 5 years ago, very faithfully, every day, would dive down to the bottom of a swimming pool and hang onto a heavy rock I had placed at the bottom for increasing amounts of time, and...alas, was not able to subjectively say that anything changed.

Maybe others have had different experiences?

Songs...I recall having read a science article a few years ago about this subject. It appears there are certain genetic and biochemical constraints on each person that will put a limit as to how long he/she will be able to learn to hold their breath. Some people are just genetically and biochemically better 'geared' to holding their breath for extraordinarily long amounts of time.

sounds like a good method. it does not depend on me holding my breath for no reason but uses the diving reflex as a prop. good idea, I'll try it sometime thanks.

"Holding your breath" isnt necessarily the same as "slowing respiration" though - its induced hypoxia. (says the man with a breath retention practice in his tookit :lol: ) Slowing respiration via correct abdominal breathing and 'one breath' is a more robust way to do this - you slow your respiration rate but dont short yourself on O2 supply. Not that this wouldnt be a usable "tool" - I'm just saying it shouldnt be a primary tool for slowing respiration :)

slow breathing, I love.my breath is very slow all the time now.

but holding my breath - naw. I loathe it. LOATHE it!

I was tempted to hang on to SB's above rationale as an exit route for myself.. but I dunno. I think it is something to do with birth trauma. eeeeeeeeeeeeek.

my mother wanted to push me out and was told not to, and to cross her legs.

:mellow::angry::(

give

me

air!!!

Edited by cat

Personally I think the under water method always works best Lol.. It teaches you to hold your breath when your oxygen supply is actually cut off.

Absolutely - ime more like reconditioning....and buried inside are peaks, valleys, plateaus - and barriers with phase change beyond :)

hehe...I just got this gizmo, stresseraser, a few days ago. It shows the peaks, valleys, plateaus and barriers of the breath B)

Edited by sheng zhen

fix yo link ;)http://stresseraser.com/

that thing looks cool...if you need the data right in front of you :D

link fixd!

Its a fun gizmo. Fun to see how the breathing affects the heart and nervoussystem. But very limited when it comes to the more advanced breathers. I will use it mostly for clients who need to learn to breathe better.

Edited by sheng zhen

I was tempted to hang on to SB's above rationale as an exit route for myself.. but I dunno. I think it is something to do with birth trauma. eeeeeeeeeeeeek.

my mother wanted to push me out and was told not to, and to cross her legs.

:mellow::angry::(

give

me

air!!!

Interesting, I believe birth experience has long term ramifications for babies. One of my three was a traumatic birth where I was enraged most of the time at the nurse and doc who were turning it into a nightmare and giving me no space to go into the beautiful zone I went into with the other two. That baby has grown into a girl with lots of anger, lots of crying, lots of screams. Angry birth, angry kid is my experience. I think your theory makes sense :)