findley

Marijuana Revelations; Modern Taoists in Modern China

Why would he expect you to bow? and would you stick your nose in the air if a sage were to bow to you? or would you, in a mutually respectful way, bow to him as well?

To tell you the truth findley, I don't know anything.

oh my :wacko:

I get hot-headed. I just would never respect a man who expected me to bow. I would mock him first, his tradition second, and then maybe recite a TTC passage. =p

I never really get angry or disrespectful in person. which is a shame, because it would make life entertaining... but I am not strong enough in TAO to really float like that... I would likely only politely challenge him with TTC.

Lol, watch out for that pothead paranoia.. :lol:

Look, I don't know if WLP is all he's hyped up to be, but he definitely has some real ability at the least. One student I met said when she first met him, he instantly told her everything that she had done from way back in her youth... And was entirely accurate. Now, such an instant personal cold read reveals a deep perception and would be very hard to fake.

So, I wouldn't dismiss him as just some "Commy stooge." In fact, he didn't exactly paint a glowing portrait of all the years of Commy turmoil in his book. At the very least (from what I can tell), he's a very generous, compassionate guy with at least several of his 3rd eyes open. And is very likely much, much more than that, too.

Normally, I wouldn't advise against your unorthodox approach. Who knows, sometimes unconventional manners can generate a positive response. But seeing as how WLP is just reaching out to the West for the "first" time right now, I don't think it may be so wise to make a bad impression on him and possibly spoil it for you and the rest of us at this juncture. I would advise to keep your skepticism to yourself for now, but remain open to the possibility he is legit and then judge him for yourself accordingly. Just let your mind be made from the facts and anecdotal evidence.

BTW, his book is just based on his actual bio - so I'm not sure how literally I would take all the training in it. Certainly, much of his publically-taught, actual methods are simply meditative.

The 1st time I met my sifu, I was drunk & picked a fight with him. He loved me for it and I became an inner disciple soon after. BUT- I was never rude nor disrespectful -I am not with anyone for that matter. It is not actually a moral charcter issue as much as just plain good manners-

If you travel the world -you will NEED good manners and an understanding of what comportment is expected whereever you are. Do not be the "Ugly American" of lore! Please, it reflects poorly on all of us westerners who are seeking Eastern knowledge...

By the way- Are you from Texas by any chance Finley? You don't take advise well -even when you ask for it.

Findley, you have gained nothing from reading the Tao Te Ching.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd say that Findley is young and pushing the envelope, just like young people are prone to do. And, throwing in marijuana is tantamount to removing the envelope entirely!

If someone doesn't outgrow their nose-picking phase by the time their 30, they run the risk of deep foolishness sinking in. If the pattern remains into your 40s, then you'll spend the rest of your life in remedial training. But redemption is always possible, and it is for this reason that longevity practices were held in such high esteem by Taoists; so you could clean up your act before you croaked and ensure that people wouldn't piss on your grave.

Independent study of Asian scriptures is just has problematic as it is for fundamentalist Christians who claim a grasp of Christian theology simply because they read the Bible. At the very least, serious study begins with participating in a study group and testing the veracity of one's views with other seekers. This is the point I brought up about spiritual materialism and the ego's use of anything, even God himself!, for the purpose of egocentric thinking.

When the blustery nature of this dialogue blows itself out, we might want to reboot and discuss marijuana further. I subscribe to Dr. Andrew Weil's advice; save it for Saturday nights. Period. You'll acquire the benefits of inspiration - and some cool somatic experiences - but you can spare yourself the delusional side effects of smoking daily.

Alhtough I REALLY wish I could get high all day long and write screenplays like the Farrelly Brothers!

hey, thank you pietro ;) thank you very much..! I havent consulted the I Ching in so long... I almost forgot to bring my Alfred Huang edition ! where is it....

You welcome. My suggestion is not to consult the i ching, but to read hexagram 4.

You welcome. My suggestion is not to consult the i ching, but to read hexagram 4.

A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing;

Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring:

There shallow Draughts intoxicate the Brain,

And drinking largely sobers us again.

How does this read in Italian?

There's a hot Italian woman I'd love to recite this too.

If you showed up quoting only TTC passages and trying to "remind them of who they should be", then I'm sure they'll smile and nod and be like, "you are right."

This is correct. I lived through this so many times. You feel great, but it's a superficial kind of greatness. Something inside is empty. You leave, and it takes a long time before you realised that you have walked away with much much less than you could have had. Essentially you used him to reach a confirmation about what you are doing, and not for a clarification on what you could/should be doing. And by and large you brought out essentially the same you brought in.

Then you'll walk away from that experience with.... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Pietro-- I thought I would do both.

I hate the idea that there is so much emphasis placed on 'proper' behavior.

The concept of 'respect' shouldnt even be a matter of question, in regards to any relationship.

Honestly, I feel foolish for over-contemplating any potential encounters at all whatsoever...

However, I think most of what I have said is, still, generally, you know, more or less, uh, true.

I think I am going to maintain an amount of pride-- and I wouldn't be surprised if I did, afterall, stick my nose up at some 'master'.

well.

It is better than blasto-- who uses the facade of behavior to assert a sense of superiority. (doesn't even seem to know it.)

otherwise................. ..... =p I guess I'm done =p thanks

marijuana... psychedelic? :lol: amateur

marijuana poisons the body and dulls the mind. i did that for years so I know. i've also experimented with real psychedelics so I know the difference. I would recommend san pedro cacti to have a really powerful beyond-self experience. but even those can be mis-interpreted so once you come back your ego shells up even stronger. this explains why Findley acts like such a prick, the ego gets much stronger after drug use. and yes im referring to marijuana as a drug, i'm sure it has many medicinal benefits but it still screws you up if you take it for spiritual or entertainment purposes. i'm going to acupuncture and learning Qi Gong from a powerful teacher who is healing me of marijuana poisoning. it screws up the channels.. big time. ever wonder why you get the munchies when you smoke? because the earth energy in the root and naval get depleted so your body needs nourishment. it pushes energy up into the heart and head but burns out very quickly. bliss is felt and makes you think your thoughts are incredible, but in reality they are usually pretty dumb. I wrote down some amazing thoughts when I was high and when I was sober i realized what trash it was :P smoking blocks the heart and other vital areas after repeated use. especially the lungs. If you're inclined, do san pedro after fasting for a day for a nice cleansing and then quit taking everything, eat a light diet, and meditate.

marijuana... psychedelic? :lol: amateur

marijuana poisons the body and dulls the mind. i did that for years so I know. i've also experimented with real psychedelics so I know the difference. I would recommend san pedro cacti to have a really powerful beyond-self experience. but even those can be mis-interpreted so once you come back your ego shells up even stronger. this explains why Findley acts like such a prick, the ego gets much stronger after drug use. and yes im referring to marijuana as a drug, i'm sure it has many medicinal benefits but it still screws you up if you take it for spiritual or entertainment purposes. i'm going to acupuncture and learning Qi Gong from a powerful teacher who is healing me of marijuana poisoning. it screws up the channels.. big time. ever wonder why you get the munchies when you smoke? because the earth energy in the root and naval get depleted so your body needs nourishment. it pushes energy up into the heart and head but burns out very quickly. bliss is felt and makes you think your thoughts are incredible, but in reality they are usually pretty dumb. I wrote down some amazing thoughts when I was high and when I was sober i realized what trash it was :P smoking blocks the heart and other vital areas after repeated use. especially the lungs. If you're inclined, do san pedro after fasting for a day for a nice cleansing and then quit taking everything, eat a light diet, and meditate.

I'm not ready to discount marijuana's medicinal properties wholesale. I've known people who were very sick and the relief they got from it was genuine. What specific conditions it purportively cures hasn't been quantified, which is criminal in itself, because it probably does have legitimate therapeutic effects. I also believe it has "inspirational effects," but again, it mustn't be used every day.

I think there is promise in its use as a aid to relaxation, which is something that Norte Americanos don't have a lot of experience with any more, which explains a lot about our culture. If the scientific community could isolate the molecule that facilitates a relaxation response, without the delusional effects, we could be on to something. Again, I think it is criminal negligence that the pharmaceutical industry et al has failed to look into this. If relaxation is critical to effective mind/body union, and marijuana possesses some promise in this area, then we should look into it.

But the bottom line is that marijuana sits on a fault line of the American culture wars, and it will remain there for some time to come.

The only great time for me to smoke hemp is between sets durring a gig- it takes the edge off from the pressure of performing and opens me up to the other band members.. B)

The nature of hemp is very Yin -it serves to make me receptive and enhances my appreciation of beautiful forms-musical and otherwise ...But a steady usage is very detrimental. It saps ones' energies badly in the long run... :o

Edited by Wayfarer64

There's nothing wrong with smoking pot to facilitate meditation. Problems only arise when one cannot achieve heights of meditative states without it. But for the most part, IMHO, The Tao is totally cool with MJ.

There's nothing wrong with smoking pot to facilitate meditation. Problems only arise when one cannot achieve heights of meditative states without it. But for the most part, IMHO, The Tao is totally cool with MJ.

nothing personal, but you need more meditative experience / awareness of the body and subtle energy channels.

there is something wrong with using pot to facilitate meditation. you will hit a ceiling and not go beyond it.

nothing personal, but you need more meditative experience / awareness of the body and subtle energy channels.

there is something wrong with using pot to facilitate meditation. you will hit a ceiling and not go beyond it.

seriously dude, what compells you to say things like this? Do you think I actually listen to you?

seriously dude, what compells you to say things like this? Do you think I actually listen to you?

don't take everything so personally. :) I'm only giving you some friendly advice. once you deepen your awareness to a more subtle level you will see how marijuana negatively affects the body/mind.

don't take everything so personally. :) I'm only giving you some friendly advice. once you deepen your awareness to a more subtle level you will see how marijuana negatively affects the body/mind.

And yr insistant sniping is good for our bodies/minds? :blink:

And yr insistant sniping is good for our bodies/minds? :blink:

This thread got off to a poisonous start. I propose we end it here. But I am going to open up another link on the subject of MJ.

Ciao.