• Egypt
    • Mexico
    • Other European Country + Israel
    • Other Middle Eastern Country+ Other North Africa
    • Other Sub-Sahran Africa
    • Other Central America
    • Other South American Country
    • Other Asian Country
  3. 3. Regardless of where you were born, and where do you live, if you needed to point to a place as your hometown, what would that be?

• China
    • US
    • EU (what now is)
    • India
    • Russia (what now is)
    • Turkey
    • Canada
    • Australia+New Zeland
    • Brasil+Argentina
    • Indonesia+Thailand
    • South Africa
    • Japan
    • Egypt
    • Mexico
    • Other European Country + Israel
    • Other Middle Eastern Country+ Other North Africa
    • Other Sub-Sahran Africa
    • Other Central America
    • Other South American Country
    • Other Asian Country

I hope I covered the whole world. And I hope I did it in a way that made sense, geographically, economically and culturally.

Part of the limit was that only 20 options were allowed.

Thanks to Gapminder for helping in selecting the most relevant nations.

Of course, after you have voted it would be nice if you could also post some more details of where you are from.

For example, I was born in Italy, live and work in Portugal, and consider my house Italy. So it was EU at all three questions.

US for all three.

Be well!

thanks.

So far everybody seem to be born, work and feel at home in the same place.

I wonder if it was an overkill to ask three questions instead of just one.

It's that I reember some members who were born in one country and then left. Some because the geo-political situation required, and some to follow their practice.

thanks.

So far everybody seem to be born, work and feel at home in the same place.

I wonder if it was an overkill to ask three questions instead of just one.

It's that I reember some members who were born in one country and then left. Some because the geo-political situation required, and some to follow their practice.

Born

California (many of us think of California as it's own country)

Reside

Oregon (Despite it's proximity to California it is definitely not like it. For you non US people this may be a distinction without a discernible difference, but I assure you they are very different places)

Home

Still California in my heart, but I am working on my sense of being rooted where I am. Still not easy after only 8 years. But I'm getting there.

Pietro

Is Portugal just a nice place to hang out for you or do you see yourself becoming rooted there eventually?

Seems a similar challenge to my move (though there is that language thing..., but hey Italian and Portuguese are practically the same language, right? ha ha)

Yeah. I think having the three questions was good.

I was born in Ohio but left to join the Army when I was seventeen years old. Did my time then settled in Florida where I still live and where I will probably die.

About the languages: I learned some conversational Italian when I was stationed there (so I could get some female companionship mostly) and later found that my Italian worked very well when I vacationed in Mexico. (Yeah, I made some of them laugh by some of the things I said but that too was good.)

Be well!

Of course, after you have voted it would be nice if you could also post some more details of where you are from.

For example, I was born in Italy, live and work in Portugal, and consider my house Italy. So it was EU at all three questions.

India, US, India

Thanks to everybody who are contributing!

It's really getting interesting.

Pietro

Is Portugal just a nice place to hang out for you or do you see yourself becoming rooted there eventually?

Seems a similar challenge to my move (though there is that language thing..., but hey Italian and Portuguese are practically the same language, right? ha ha)

Hi Craig, thanks for asking.

I left Italy in 98, to do a master in england. From there most of my academic life was in England (Master), Germany (PhD), and Ireland (first post doc). The academic situation in Italy is very difficult. There are little funds, and unless you are very connected you can't get access to them. Independently of how good you are (there are exceptions, but rare). So I don't see myself going back to Italy.

On the other side I was offered this job in Portugal, and it was a nice offer. It's a 5 year of post doc. Portugal feels very nice. Although I don't speak the language, I am catching it up really quickly (think that I still don't speak German, and I lived there 2 years). On the other side, I am speaking the non verbal language much more than in anglosaxon countries. Here people are not afraid to touch you when they speak to you. I feel the culture is so much nearer the culture I grow up in. And even more, as Portugal is poorer than Italy, it really resembles Italy of the 70's.

So I bought a house here. It's an old house. I paid a fraction of what I would have paid it in Italy. It is in a small village, out of Coimbra. The countryside reminds me of Tuscany. And when I described the situation to my parents, they told me how Tuscany was like this 30 years ago. With nice old houses being sold quite cheaply. Now they are all gone and the prices has risen to the stars.

You know I always wanted to build a Taoist community (founding a taoist vilage would also be nice ;-) ). So I bought this house, with a couple of hectars around. It connects with a river (more like a stream). It has access to a well, and there are other sources of water coming from the hill. I think it has great potentiality. It is also 10 minutes by car from the city. And with Internet connection. So it is really possible to live here, and work here. Going to Coimbra only for key works (like if I have to attend or to give a lecture). At the moment I just moved here. I would like to develop the land into some form of permaculture-forest garden-fukuoka style.

(read fukuoka's one straw revolution, for an example of a real hard core modern taoist!!)

I am also inviting people to join me. I haven't really figured out how things should develop. I think as long as we get along, and we all contribute to the community, we should be able to stay together. And of course the invitation is also to you, to you and to any other TB.

Come and visit me, stay here, we'll do tai ji together & start a taoist community :).

In fact I was even going to offer qi gung lessons in exchange of work.

Oh well :).

By the way, do you know that I was thinking about putting California as its own option. Someething like

-California

-US minus California.

Part of this is because I read somwhere that California alone has a GDP that equals some other nations among the 8 big. But then I also would have to extrapolate the UK. And then what about the various side of the US. And the latin countries in the EU. If I had 60 options I would have done it :)

po

I usually just tell folks I'm an Earthling... I've lived in several countries, many States of the USA and feel at home just about anywhere !

Belgium for the 3 options.

Having a good time here.

Sounds like a great idea pietro, making a taoist community :) If i didnt had a GF i would of been on my way allready. Portugal is great :D Good weather, good porto and sea :)

Belgium for the 3 options.

Having a good time here.

Sounds like a great idea pietro, making a taoist community :) If i didnt had a GF i would of been on my way allready. Portugal is great :D Good weather, good porto and sea :)

come with your girlfriend

is she pretty ;)

:):):)

Im froma the Caribbean... no place in the list.

Hi Leigong,

I think I considered all the islands to be part of the biggest continent nearby. SO the Caribbean would fall under central america. Sorry if I could not be more precise?

(like if I have to attend or to give a lecture)

In fact I was even going to offer qi gung lessons in exchange of work.

If you want to give qi gung lessons, you may also record your lesson on camera and upload the video to youtube. This way you may reach a broader audience and your teaching is available anytime anywhere.

Haha yes but no dont even think about it :D

A person has to be carefull here on ttb with all those jade dragons around :)

Edited by minkus

Haha yes but no dont even think about it :D

A person has to be carefull here on ttb with all those jade dragons around :)

oh, but you offend me. I would never abuse of my position.

It would be a fair match, and the Lady would judge who is the most valiant Jade Dragon.

Who made her fly higher, for longer.

Green_Dragon2.jpg

It would be a teaching experience for all, I am sure. :lol: