Sign in to follow this  
altiora

Spontaneous Qigong; A Report.

"A more advanced student might barely move at all".

Oscar Hsu is a "certified advance Kunlun teacher.

When I practice Stillness-Movement I hardly move at all does that mean I'm an advanced student?

You don't practice Shaolin Cosmos Qigong, so I can't say what your advancement is or is not. Even if you were a Shaolin Cosmos Qigong student I might not be able to say :)

In Shaolin Cosmos Qigong people seem to go through different phases. They are taught not to intellectualize, not to worry and to enjoy the practice. Whether you move or don't move is not the point. And whether you do or don't move doesn't mean one thing or another necessarily.

Having said that, in general there tends to be a progression over time from no movement, to movement, to vigorous movement, to less movement, back to very gentle movements/flowing stillness. At the start you don't move because the energy isn't flowing, in the middle you move a lot because the energy is opening a lot of blockages, as you progress there is less movement as the qi is flowing smoothly.

But there are tons of exceptions, and I don't know all of the details, the above is just a general rough idea. :)

All the Best,

11:33

Edited by 11:33

"As you advance in the training usually movements become much less large and flamboyant. A more advanced student might barely move at all. This is because the qi is flowing smoothly and doesn't run into any "speed bumps."

Please note:

"As a good general example..Oscar Hsu, an advanced Kunlun teacher and good guy was having a pretty powerful experience. Oscar was thrashing on the floor in front of me and really letting go. My movements tend to be more subtle. Some swaying and shaking but after a year and a half I still haven't fallen off my chair.

After the practice Sifu Jenny asked us all what we were feeling. Oscar went into a story about his experience. It was either then or at another time in the class he went into a talk about the "Queen Mother of the West" and how she "adopted Max". At the end of this Sifu just said to Oscar "let it go". Cameron

"A more advanced student might barely move at all".

Oscar Hsu is a "certified advanced Kunlun teacher. He was thrashing on the floor and really letting go.

When I practiced Kunlun I quickly moved into silence and no movement and now practicing Stillness-Movement I hardly move at all, so does so that mean I am an advanced student? ;)

?

yeah I noticed that one about mr. Hsue too. but who am I to say how much Oscar needs to clear out.

Why don't you ask your Mary Lamb teacher mgd? or if you already have, why dont share

or shut up and just practise to see what the results are?

I am so totally not impressed or interested in this fixation on moves, its like fixating on peoples farts IMHO.

Same goes for those demos on level equals moving other people.

I've got my eyes fixed on totally different things.

Edited by rain

I asked about spontaneous qigong (zi fa dong gong) quite a bit when I first came to China - to that point it had been one of my regular practices. I never experienced really crazy stuff, just movements and stretches, all very fluid, some swinging and swaying, and always naturally ended in a meditation position. It was nice, like the energy worked out the kinks.

When I asked some Chinese cultivators about it, the answers I got were mainly that zi fa dong gong is good for resolving Xie Qi but too much practice can take you down an unpredictable course. As to what the unpredictable course was? Views differed.

Some say it leads to Yin Shen, fake Dao, etc.

Others say you simply won't know what you'll end up with.

Personally, I only experienced positive benefits in my few months of regular spontaneous qigong practice, but I also don't discount tradition lightly.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the phrase "advanced practitioner"... It's trickier than that. And people go through phases.

Basically... If you want to know how you're doing ask your teacher. :D

quote mgd;

"And there will always be more questions than answers on this path."

Agree. Seems so right now. Thanks for asking questions.

Edited by rain

I didn't read the article. Feel like posting personal experience would help somehow. Anyway - After doing Chi Kung sessions I'll pay as close attention to my breathing as possible and let my body and limbs move freely. Sometimes the movements get fairly wild, or thrashy. Its more about letting the previous practice and energies built up distribute and clean out the body. Works well enough for me. Good luck guys.

Oh, does anyone else here get spontaneous belly laughter when higher energy is absorbed?

I second all those here who state that its really not important if your movements are spontaneous or not.

The only thing that matters is timing. The right practice at the right time.

All forms in qigong and sitting emerge from spontaneous movements. All of them. Then they are formalized, styled and named. Then new variations emerge. I find myself in all types of classical Asanas when I go into spontaneous movements, stuff I never learned. It is just a manner of tapping into the information in the formless state, and form appear.

If for any reason people report negative experiences while doing what they themselves call spontaneous movements, they are in fact doing the opposite: indulging in some impulse via the egoic mind. In short, they are tripping. If that may come across as being "posessed" , you've never been to a Prodigy concert.

Simply put, real spontaneous movements appear if you become still. If you are able to relax in an aligned way totally, you have to experience movement at some point.

so, tune in, relax, let go, but don't give in.

That's it.

At some point you arrive at a phase where it is more helpful to stick with forms more. They may help you trough the next phase.

h

Simply put, real spontaneous movements appear if you become still. If you are able to relax in an aligned way totally, you have to experience movement at some point.

so, tune in, relax, let go, but don't give in.

That's it.

Agreed. Good post.

And people go through phases.

I thought that, too. And it seems obvious to me. You don't clear the pathways once for the energy and all is good, but the energy becomes stronger and then the pathways have to adapt to the stronger current.

My legbouncing during Kunlun ceased relatively early, but when I did Kunlun at the seminar, I experienced stronger energies and man, were my legs bouncing again! Once I even had three stages of legbouncing with following calmness at one night, so a repeating cycle of blockade-clearing and current-increase, I guess.

HI I have a question about spontaneuos qi gong and transmission. I read in Scotty's first post that he mentioned he would have to be there with you to do a transmission. I still in the earlier stages of my practise of chi gung but in my understanding of energy, chi transcends time and space fabric, so doesn't that mean that you could perform distance transmissions without being right there with them?

Peace

I'm not really qualified to do anything. The point I was trying to make when I wrote what you're referring to, is that you can sorta give yourself a transmission by "being in the now".

Sign in to follow this