Apech

Eye of Horus

"The mechanism is in the eyes"…found that in some taoist manual. And paraphrasing… "the body, the senses become one eye".

Totality of self an eye. Concentrating vitality, extending like a ray, a line of light. There is velocity in this, and penetration. There is a body outside the body (is how you say there is a body in place of a body?). Now this zazen gets up without dwelling.

At the right time and the right place, passing through between the wn and kheper with the collected totality of the self, without any idea whatsoever (the missing 1/64th not missing just not existent?).

the akh is about a kind of total responsiveness and the ability to cross the boundaries ..

Perhaps return from freedom from ideas evolves toward actualization of the uncarved block of whole being without divisive habitual ideation?

And of the akh's effectivity… to act

out of context, yet in harmony with future as well as present and past events.

There is knowledge and awareness of non-being (1/64th) which is the facilitation and catalyst of return to living function of wholeness of uncarved non-being being…?

Like the best effective ego utility~ ultimately non-existent, yet positively functional.

Edited by deci belle

Now this zazen gets up without dwelling.

This is the ruination of a life, as well, when zazen gets up and walks around. Might be walking around for a long time! Mothers, don't let your sons read hieroglyphs on pyramid walls- make 'em grow up to be lawyers, and doctors, and such...

hahhahaa!!❤ The Art of War succinctly states that in order to live one must first position oneself on a ground of death.

The uncarved block has no form, therefore it is useless. It is the same as never having been created. The ground of death enables formlessness; a singularity which cannot be manipulated. All its potential is intact and it has yet to act. As it is on a par with death, only the living can, will and must revert.

I don't know that the symbolism of the teaching of the Eye of Horus is a parallel or comparable device.

The construct of the Eye is a complex device possessing manifold application in commerce, wisdom, mores, mystery and magic.

The unaccountable 1/64th in the eye's component values comes closest in equating the import of the uncarved block. The value in the function of the absent matrixes of the former compliment the valueless functionlessness of the concrete abstraction of the latter.

Thanks for expressing the term, a kind of concrete absolute— that helped me with this post, Apech!

Edited by deci belle

Apech, you may have answered this before, but given your extensive research in Egyptology - what exactly do you think the ankh means???

IsisNephthys200x267.jpgankh1-300x244.jpg

ankhpurification.jpg

Akhenaten_large.jpg

egyptian-symbol-life-500.jpg

gcc2_clip_image005.jpg

Edited by vortex

I have another question. Why did all of the crazy symbolism come about in Egypt? Like the ankh for instance...you don't find that symbol in nature. You don't see human beings walking around with animal heads. Where did they get these ideas from?

Apech, you may have answered this before, but given your extensive research in Egyptology - what exactly do you think the ankh means???

Thanks for the question Vortex.

The ankh as most people know means 'life'. It was used as a noun and a verb form. So the meaning is clear. All hieroglyph signs are representational ...i.e. they depict actual things but no-one knows exactly what the ankh was. There are many theories ... a sandal strap was one almost certainly wrong, also a bulls vertebrae and spinal column in cross section (like a T bone steak ) another. Actually it is a composite sign which your bottom pic ... the green stone amulet gives the clue ... this shows not the ankh but the 'sa' symbol of protection which like the 'tyet' knot of Isis is a female symbol (vagina or womb) and the 'djed' pillar which is the backbone/phallus of Osiris ... put these two together and you get male and female sexual inter-function. So life is exactly this ... the spark of sexual chemistry if you like or the interplay between yin and yang. The ankh shown as being poured like water in oblations (sexual oil or fluids) and being presented to the nose .... the breath of life. Most gods are shown holding ankhs in one hand and the was staff in the other which means they derive their power from this energy and from control.

Here is a quote from touregypt website which shows the tourist guides are on the right track:

Wolfhart Westendorf felt it was associated with the tyet emblem, or the "knot of Isis". He thought both were ties for ceremonial girdles. Winfried Barta connected the ankh with the royal cartouche in which the king's name was written, while others have even identified it as a penis sheath. The presence of a design resembling a pubic triangle on one ankh of the New kingdom seems to allow for the idea that the sign may be a specifically sexual symbol. In fact, guides in Egypt today like to tell tourists that the circle at the top represents the female sexual organ, while the stump at the bottom the male organ and the crossed line, the children of the union. However, while this interpretation may have a long tradition, there is no scholarly research that would suggest such an exact meaning.
  • Like 1

I have another question. Why did all of the crazy symbolism come about in Egypt? Like the ankh for instance...you don't find that symbol in nature. You don't see human beings walking around with animal heads. Where did they get these ideas from?

Hi Scotty,

I suppose the easy answer is that its not crazy .... lol ... but I think you have to go back to the shamanic roots for the answer. Human's with animal heads is a common feature of ecstatic visions of shamans in all cultures. So this is the origin ... but the Egyptians also did something very precise and technical with this knowledge so that they could describe very accurately what you might call the workings of power or consciousness. Their imagery is still very powerful today even though people do not really understand it. It has impact and the impact comes from the fact that behind the artwork is a kind of technology of consciousness ... (hope that makes some sense lol ).

You are right as I point out above the ankh is obscure but most of the symbols do represent actual objects ... however they often have a significance beyond the object or there may be a phonetic association ... for instance the word for a male sheep ... a ram was 'ba' which was also the word for the 'soul' ... so sometimes the soul of Ra the sun god was shown as a ram. ba = ba. But this was only ok because the ram as a symbol fitted with the idea of the potency of the soul/ba - which actually means a 'luminous form creating entity' ... sometimes the 'ba' was written with a phallus sign for the same reason because the ba is like the divine spark within us. The symbols echo on within each other. So when the Egyptians looked at their art there were thousands of cross references and echoed meanings which are lost to us today.

Hope this goes some way to answer your question.

IsisNephthys200x267.jpg

ankhpurification.jpg

I still think the ankh represents the cranial-sacral rhythm. The "ankh purification" above is a beautiful depiction of how the cranial-sacral rhythm is controlled by the nerves on the sagittal suture, and extends fluidly throughout the body. Thank you for that illustration, Vortex.

The Egyptians seem to have understood that connection between the cranial-sacral rhythm and the movement of breath:

Ankh_isis_nefertari120x186.jpg

and the relationship between ligaments of the sacrum (Isis Nephthys above), the cranial-sacral rhythm, and the free movement of consciousness. Also as I understand from Apech the importance of the hypnogogic states. They had the most amazing depictions of the relationship between human kinesthesiology, the cranial-sacral rhythm, the pulmonary rhythm, and consciousness; folks find it anathema to associate the spirit with the body, and look for some other explanation. I love that quote in Gospel of Thomas about being amazed at the riches in such poverty, to me that's what it means:

(29) Jesus said: If the flesh came into existence because of the spirit, it is a marvel. But if the spirit (came into existence) because of the body, it is a marvel of marvels. But as for me, I wonder at this, how this great wealth made its home in this poverty.

Gospel of Thomas saying 29

Edited by Mark Foote