Stigweard

A Gathering of Immortals

With the above posts foremost in mind, let us proceed on point. Excuse me for taking temporary direction with this but my inspiration with this has been vitalized.

I will present my very rough and preliminary vision statement, and once again invite all commentary and suggestions.

----------------------------

"By 2018 we have acquired, through self-sufficient means, at least 100 acres of fertile land and have constructed temples of cultivation, education and arts facilities, housing for teachers, students, and community members, and have also established the means for communal sufficiency in the form of permaculture farming, commercial ventures (eg. cafeteria, grocery store, relevant small business etc.) and light industrial ventures that adhere to ecological and right livelihood practices."

With the above posts foremost in mind, let us proceed on point. Excuse me for taking temporary direction with this but my inspiration with this has been vitalized.

I will present my very rough and preliminary vision statement, and once again invite all commentary and suggestions.

"By 2018 we have acquired, through self-sufficient means, at least 100 acres of fertile land and have constructed temples of cultivation, education and arts facilities, housing for teachers, students, and community members, and have also established the means for communal sufficiency in the form of permaculture farming, commercial ventures (eg. cafeteria, grocery store, relevant small business etc.) and light industrial ventures that adhere to ecological and right livelihood practices."

Where... ? :D

You are right, it is a fools errand to try and assess the mountain's peaks whilst standing on the valley floor.

Thanks, that was my whole point. Sometimes people forget where they're at. If you all keep this in mind, I'm sure that your efforts towards gathering various traditions of wholesome cultivation in one place will be very worthwhile.

So enough said on that issue from me. It was really my only concern. Good luck. :)

Thanks, that was my whole point. Sometimes people forget where they're at. If you all keep this in mind, I'm sure that your efforts towards gathering various traditions of wholesome cultivation in one place will be very worthwhile.

So enough said on that issue from me. It was really my only concern. Good luck. :)

:) Thank you for that "Check" ... It is always important to reflect on one's efforts to make sure

they are indeed doing things in a proper and beneficial manner for others.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Thanks Scotty, I am glad we were able to communicate clearly on this issue.

As to "Where?" ... well I guess there is a whole world to choose from isn't there ;)

I'm am sure most people would like to see such an establishment closest to where they live. Do you think we should actually start polling such questions?

Have any of you all come across the three Way of the Peaceful Warrior narratives (as opposed to the manuals, which I can't speak to) by Dan Millman? I believe that they're meant to be taken as rooted in actual events, though how deep those roots go, I can't say. At any rate, I believe that an organization similar to what you all are describing shows up in the sequel and the prequel. It is never visited directly by the narrator but it is spoken about as one of the main sources of the sagacious spiritual mentor character's training. I believe one character describes it to another as a meeting of masters (in the Himalayas, was it? An suitably dramatic setting...) from various lineages including Eastern Orthodox Christianity, an indigenous Hawaiian tradition, Daoism, and more. They get together from time to time to share their teachings and methods with one another in an atmosphere of utmost respect. In fact, if I remember correctly, one of the dilemmas in the prequel is centered around whether a protagonist, who has entered a monastery to learn martial arts, will get over his thirst for revenge and be qualified to represent his master at the first meeting of this group sometime early in the last century. The character does get over his desire for vengeance and eventually goes to the gathering of, er, immortals, I guess you could call it, but unfortunately I don't believe the narration follows him.

I suspect that there might be people on this board who've got some idea of how true the stories in Dan Millman's books are. If it turns out there's really something to them then perhaps there could be benefit to a sit down for tea with these alleged elusive masters of meditation and ecumenical etiquette.

Good luck!

Edited by Walker

Thanks Scotty, I am glad we were able to communicate clearly on this issue.

As to "Where?" ... well I guess there is a whole world to choose from isn't there ;)

I'm am sure most people would like to see such an establishment closest to where they live. Do you think we should actually start polling such questions?

Hey Stig, I am convinced that it can work and be very usefull to everybody. A lot of people on this forum are very active in a lot of topics and contribute with facts and answers to a lot of questions after years of membership and that proves their devotion to these practices and ideas. So I don't really understand why some people oppose your idea when to me it looks like just another dimension of this forum's community of something that we already have here only in a different form.

Have any of you all come across the three Way of the Peaceful Warrior narratives (as opposed to the manuals, which I can't speak to) by Dan Millman? I believe that they're meant to be taken as rooted in actual events, though how deep those roots go, I can't say. At any rate, I believe that an organization similar to what you all are describing shows up in the sequel and the prequel. It is never visited directly by the narrator but it is spoken about as one of the main sources of the sagacious spiritual mentor character's training. I believe one character describes it to another as a meeting of masters (in the Himalayas, was it? An suitably dramatic setting...) from various lineages including Eastern Orthodox Christianity, an indigenous Hawaiian tradition, Daoism, and more. They get together from time to time to share their teachings and methods with one another in an atmosphere of utmost respect. In fact, if I remember correctly, one of the dilemmas in the prequel is centered around whether a protagonist, who has entered a monastery to learn martial arts, will get over his thirst for revenge and be qualified to represent his master at the first meeting of this group sometime early in the last century. The character does get over his desire for vengeance and eventually goes to the gathering of, er, immortals, I guess you could call it, but unfortunately I don't believe the narration follows him.

I suspect that there might be people on this board who've got some idea of how true the stories in Dan Millman's books are. If it turns out there's really something to them then perhaps there could be benefit to a sit down for tea with these alleged elusive masters of meditation and ecumenical etiquette.

Good luck!

Never read the book... Heard of the name Dan Milman.

Never read the book... Heard of the name Dan Milman.

Well, if you've got some time and you like reading I found them to be fun, engaging reads. Knocked each one out in a day. The first is The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, the sequel is Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior, and the prequel is The Journey of Socrates. They'll make the most sense read in that order, though if I recall correctly the organization is mentioned more in the second two titles. My apologies if this ends up being a blind alley.

Posted by Lin in another thread:

-------

As for setting up a 3 day lecture and cultivation series, the next step is to gather

a set of guidelines for those involved to work by.

Organization...

Then Find a place to host.

Then choose the teachers..now this one is big...

Because asking a teacher to come down, is basically offering his airfare, hotel and transportation and food.... offering, meaning giving. Next part of this is getting people interested in going.. haha

The idea is great, but these steps are important. When would the first meet take place...how much money is needed to spend on bringing teachers over to share their work...not to mention if they don't want to.

OR

Advertise!

Advertise a cultivation center which is an open house for highly respected, and well sought after teachers of cultivation. Then when they apply to come and teach, those involved research the teacher's history, and service to society in terms of lectures/teaching. People will not like it, but high standards is important in today's age.

Regardless of who thinks who is judging...

I will not personally allow a past rapist to come to my temple and teach about cultivation. Nor would I allow a child molester come to teach in a kindergarten.

Simply enough, if the teacher is indeed as they present themselves, then its a good deal. If they aren't, they don't come.

Peace,

Lin

P.S.- Song Yong Dao has not posted on this idea for a few days? I haven't seen him here. Has anyone bothered to contact him on how he would like his, this, idea to develop?

-------

Take temporary direction! You have good, practical ideas and I think you're the type who could get them done. Could I add, the area best be on a mountain with living water (lake, streams, or waterfall)? Or would this add an unnecessary dimension of difficulty?

As far as another idea goes (this one wouldn't even necessarily require a static location), what about cataloging cultivation systems. Bringing every master together at first would be difficult. So, what about capturing on video and in writing the basic essentials of each cultivation system. The volunteering master would provide, with the support of any resources we can provide, video of cultivation exercises, audio commentary, and written pictures and theories. Everything would be compiled, cataloged, and finally approved by said master.

Any master who attends will be given access to each of the other master's teachings. This way they could study one another's systems and generate their own questions, criticisms, and understandings. This could pave the way for a later in-person meeting, discussion, and synthesis.

Of course, I don't expect the small nuances of every system can be cataloged. However, the basic, most important practices and philosophies can be.

---

Sorry, I've been absent. Though I suppose I could be credited with raising the idea, you have had the same in your minds - I take no special credit. We all have different strengths to contribute. Mine, aside from ideas, are still in incubation. That's to say, I will keep contributing to this idea (indeed over the long term), but my most imminent priorities are to cultivate and transform my mind and body into a laboratory capable of really doing this research.

...So I don't really understand why some people oppose your idea when to me it looks like just another dimension of this forum's community of something that we already have here only in a different form.

Oppose! Oppose!

Opposition is how immune systems are made. Opposition is how muscles are built.

Expose our flaws or do us disservice.

Edited by 松永道

Have any of you all come across the three Way of the Peaceful Warrior narratives (as opposed to the manuals, which I can't speak to) by Dan Millman? I believe that they're meant to be taken as rooted in actual events, though how deep those roots go, I can't say. At any rate, I believe that an organization similar to what you all are describing shows up in the sequel and the prequel.

Dan Millman admitted it was all fiction just before his movie came out. Dan was a gymnast but as for the rest.... not even Socrates was real. :(

Dan Millman admitted it was all fiction just before his movie came out. Dan was a gymnast but as for the rest.... not even Socrates was real. :(

Hah! Maaaaaaan, people love to front everywhere in the world. I can't help but smile. That's rowdy that he waited till he had a Nick Nolte flick coming out before he came clean. Wonder how many dollars he pulled in at his seminars in the what, twenty, thirty years before the movie? Ah well, if the Amazon reviews are to be trusted then the books have inspired many people to break through a bit of their fear and inertia. Can't be too mad at him. I just hope nobody paid to find out how to jump onto the roof of a gas station, or worse, track down the supposed secret school of cultivators sundry.

Well, I humbly retract my suggestion.

Take temporary direction! You have good, practical ideas and I think you're the type who could get them done. Could I add, the area best be on a mountain with living water (lake, streams, or waterfall)? Or would this add an unnecessary dimension of difficulty?

You certainly can add this suggestion :D I agree with this as well. For me one of the prime requisites is a plentiful water source (a symptom perhaps of living in dry old Australia). I really don't think at this stage we should put too much censoring of the imagination. Lets paint the perfect picture and see how close we can get to that reality.

As far as another idea goes (this one wouldn't even necessarily require a static location), what about cataloging cultivation systems. Bringing every master together at first would be difficult. So, what about capturing on video and in writing the basic essentials of each cultivation system. The volunteering master would provide, with the support of any resources we can provide, video of cultivation exercises, audio commentary, and written pictures and theories. Everything would be compiled, cataloged, and finally approved by said master.

Ok so that opens up a media type section of the project. This could have two branches, one is a home based studio for such recordings and then we could have a field team that can go out and record the teachings of masters in their home environment.

Perhaps we could have a facility where we sponsor successful candidates to go learn from their chosen teachers for a period of time with the condition that they come back to make a full report and presentation on what they have learned and experienced.

Any master who attends will be given access to each of the other master's teachings. This way they could study one another's systems and generate their own questions, criticisms, and understandings. This could pave the way for a later in-person meeting, discussion, and synthesis.

Of course, I don't expect the small nuances of every system can be cataloged. However, the basic, most important practices and philosophies can be.

Yes yes ... being able to form comparitive analysis certainly opens many possibilities if handled with due care.

Oppose! Oppose!

Opposition is how immune systems are made. Opposition is how muscles are built.

Expose our flaws or do us disservice.

I agree wholeheartedly. Already in this thread we have seen how differing view helps us hone the intent and vision of the progress.

UPDATE:

"By 2018 we have acquired, through self-sufficient means, at least 100 acres of fertile land on a mountain with living water and have constructed temples of cultivation, education and arts facilities, housing for teachers, students, and community members, and have also established the means for communal sufficiency in the form of permaculture farming, commercial ventures (eg. cafeteria, grocery store, relevant small business etc.) and light industrial ventures that adhere to ecological and right livelihood practices."

More suggestions?

Any more suggestions or amendments to the preliminary vision statement before I take things to the next step?

--------------------------

"By 2018 we have acquired, through self-sufficient means, at least 100 acres of fertile land on a mountain with living water and have constructed temples of cultivation, education and arts facilities, housing for teachers, students, and community members, and have also established the means for communal sufficiency in the form of permaculture farming, commercial ventures (eg. cafeteria, grocery store, relevant small business etc.) and light industrial ventures that adhere to ecological and right livelihood practices."

It sounds awesome. :)

What are the "self sufficient means"? Acquiring that kind of land, and getting the whole thing running will be A LOT of work to do in 10 years. Mucho dinero, too.

It sounds awesome. :)

What are the "self sufficient means"? Acquiring that kind of land, and getting the whole thing running will be A LOT of work to do in 10 years. Mucho dinero, too.

Well the "self sufficient means" have yet to be fully confirmed as yet. I have a few things I am working on but it is way to soon to even start considering relying on them.

My perspective for this statement is that the heart of such a project can easily be torn asunder if you have to depend on outside capital funding. It is 100% better if such dinero comes from within the core of the group without any one person or group of people being able to claim sole ownership.

And yes 10 years would requre a lot of work. Question: do we believe it is feasible practical to work to this timeline?

I say "yes", with of course the allowance for flexibility through out the progress.

Any amendments to this date then? Or any other comments?

I can do drywall for just the cost of materials. Worked with my dad for a few years. :)

Woohoo! The walls are going up already! Thanks Scotty :D

Which officially starts the resources list:

~ Drywalls: Scotty

Awesome!

I was writing up some life goals the other day and I became stuck when it came to laying out some action steps towards what I wanted to achieve. Following the advice of a motivational speaker, Dave Dee, I wrote down all the obstacles that I would encounter along the journey. The results I have to say were quite profound.

So as an exercise I thought it would be useful here as well for everyone interested to add at least one hurdle or obstacle to the following list. The suggestion is to not worry about solving them just yet ... simply jot down as many possible.

By doing this we will begin to see a clearer path to our destination.

Obstacles and/or Hurdles:

- Lack of money

- No idea where to establish it

- Don't have a core group of people to advance the project

- Don't have clear objectives in place

-

Your turn :D

I was writing up some life goals the other day and I became stuck when it came to laying out some action steps towards what I wanted to achieve. Following the advice of a motivational speaker, Dave Dee, I wrote down all the obstacles that I would encounter along the journey. The results I have to say were quite profound.

So as an exercise I thought it would be useful here as well for everyone interested to add at least one hurdle or obstacle to the following list. The suggestion is to not worry about solving them just yet ... simply jot down as many possible.

By doing this we will begin to see a clearer path to our destination.

- Lack of money

- Don't have a core group of people to advance the project

-

Your turn :D

I would say that the first thing would be to establish a sort of committee - a group of people that are going to do it for sure and make the decisions. Once you have that you can come up with ideas and people can debate - vote for them etc.

I would say that the first thing would be to establish a sort of committee - a group of people that are going to do it for sure and make the decisions. Once you have that you can come up with ideas and people can debate - vote for them etc.

Excellent suggestions Orb, thank you. That takes one of my points to the next level.

- Lack of money

- Don't have a committee - a group of people that are going to do it for sure and make the decisions

-

Looking for more here ... remember just the obstacles or hurdles at this stage.

Again the goal is:

What are the things that we have to get around to get here?

amazing. :)

and a wonderul idea to say the least. :)

by the way, it is my opinion that it is a good thing if people in general start 'thinking big' instead of thinking negatively that for example they can not do it. i don't think anybody ever got better by thinking negatively, but people -have- gotten better by thinking just like they really wanted to.