steve

Attacment and Beliefs

I am starting this as a new thread simply because tacking these comments to any of the threads that stimulated them would simply generate conflict and confrontation.

It's fascinating to watch how we cling so desperately to our beliefs. What would it be like to let that attachment go? Is it possible that none of us are correct? What would it be like to find out that everything we believed and relied on was illusion? Could we go on without the security of our beliefs?

Answers are dead, only questions are alive.

I am starting this as a new thread simply because tacking these comments to any of the threads that stimulated them would simply generate conflict and confrontation.

It's fascinating to watch how we cling so desperately to our beliefs. What would it be like to let that attachment go? Is it possible that none of us are correct? What would it be like to find out that everything we believed and relied on was illusion? Could we go on without the security of our beliefs?

I wish I had the statistical info on what % of our perceptions we keep in our memory. I believe it's less than 10%. We base our opinions and views on a minority of what actually happens... the rest we construct with our minds/imagination.

Based on that alone, how can we trust our beliefs as Truth? How can we construct a True reality based on a blurred view?

What are the roots that hold us to think that our beliefs are True?

Fear: of being wrong, of rejection, of looking bad, of losing integrity, of losing respect... of loss in general.

Ignorance: of mixing beliefs, of believing 'facts', of another's wisdom... prejudice in general.

Now, throw away everything I've said and ask yourself: what is the worst that can happen if I drop my long-held beliefs and accept that maybe I'm wrong?

That's what I'm going to do :)

It's fascinating to watch how we cling so desperately to our beliefs. What would it be like to let that attachment go? Is it possible that none of us are correct?

Depends on what. :lol:

What would it be like to find out that everything we believed and relied on was illusion?Could we go on without the security of our beliefs?

Everything is like an illusion. If we'd really understand that, what security would we need?

Well asked xuesheng.

Into the nagual

Freedom, formless, infinite,

Is there a return?

It's an ironic dichotomy that our Self is both the platform for us to launch into the ineffable and the prison that inhibits us from doing so.

Well asked xuesheng.

Into the nagual

Freedom, formless, infinite,

Is there a return?

It's an ironic dichotomy that our Self is both the platform for us to launch into the ineffable and the prison that inhibits us from doing so.

Hey Stig why did you change your avatar? I really liked it - just like my old one.

Hey Stig why did you change your avatar? I really liked it - just like my old one.

LOL ... change is good is it not? :lol:

And of course I could ask you the same ... This after all is the thread on attachments :P

Edited by Stigweard

LOL ... change is good is it not? :lol:

And of course I could ask you the same ... This after all is the thread on attachments :P

Well i really liked mine and then there were two so I found me another one :)

Guest artform

Questioning is science and other modes of enquiry, isn't it? That is certainly very much alive currently. Until recently physics thought it was approaching a Grand Unified Theory of everything, until the recent realization that our physics describes about 4% of "reality" or "universe" and the rest is Dark Matter and Dark Energy, about which we can currently only speculate...

Rather like Wall Street... but I digress...

Our consciousness, our *believing* is is directly part of the quantum operations of all being in some way, not that we need to get on an ego trip in any way about that... If we are part of the universe/multiverse achieving some periodic form of self-consciousness, how does this reframe your question Steve?

all the best

artform

Edited by artform

Imagine if we could change our beliefs in the same way we change our clothes! Everyone is naked under their clothes. Winnie the Pooh is Naked a lot of the time. Is there anyone here who would consider themselves a fashion designer??

Our consciousness, our *believing* is is directly part of the quantum operations of all being in some way, not that we need to get on an ego trip in any way about that... If we are part of the universe/multiverse achieving some periodic form of self-consciousness, how does this reframe your question Steve?

all the best

artform

I guess all I can think of in response is that - if the believing is part of it, so is the letting go of belief. The letting go for me has been somewhat liberating and it feels like the more I let go, the more foolish all of the 'belief systems' appear. I recognize that letting go is simply another category of belief and so it goes. And yet it seems to me that there is more pain and suffering caused by answers than by questions.

Funny that you ask that way.

One of the first questions I asked when I "started" thinking about this was: there are tons of religions in the world. So many say they are the ONLY religion, and every other one is going to burn. When we die, a lot of people are going to unhappy... wait... what if we're ALL unhappy? What if it's not just one group that's right, what if we're ALL wrong?

So, yeah, that was kind of... pessimistic I guess, so that's when I became more free and open minded with reading new texts and stuff. I mean, each one said that they and they alone had the answers so... I don't know, maybe it was a covering all the bases tactic :P

But the more I read, the closer I came to thinking: we're all right.

Sure there maybe some differences here or there, but the essence, the stuff that's at the very heard of one religion, is all too often very close to what is at the heart of another. So when I began to read new things, I looked for the underlying message, not the pretty frivolous words: what was it saying, and how did it connect to other things?

So I guess you can say I believe in lots of things, but in none of them at the same time :D

Funny that you ask that way.

One of the first questions I asked when I "started" thinking about this was: there are tons of religions in the world. So many say they are the ONLY religion, and every other one is going to burn. When we die, a lot of people are going to unhappy... wait... what if we're ALL unhappy? What if it's not just one group that's right, what if we're ALL wrong?

So, yeah, that was kind of... pessimistic I guess, so that's when I became more free and open minded with reading new texts and stuff. I mean, each one said that they and they alone had the answers so... I don't know, maybe it was a covering all the bases tactic :P

But the more I read, the closer I came to thinking: we're all right.

Sure there maybe some differences here or there, but the essence, the stuff that's at the very heard of one religion, is all too often very close to what is at the heart of another. So when I began to read new things, I looked for the underlying message, not the pretty frivolous words: what was it saying, and how did it connect to other things?

So I guess you can say I believe in lots of things, but in none of them at the same time :D

Right & Wrong are just believes in your own head, they are illusions.