Nungali

How to draw a 60 inch long katana

Knee jerk response would be " Very Carefully". How else would one do it, mindfully? Will watch video later.

I appreciate Shogo's Sensei and that he allows Shogo to share their training in some well edited videos.

Those laundry pole blades are absolute menaces!

My understanding is that the long blades were generally slung across the back or carried on the shoulder, too long to carry comfortably or effectively at the waist. These were most common during the Mongol wars of the Nambukcho period. The longer, wider blades were also relatively thin and designed to be more effective at cutting through the leather armor of the Mongols.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember trying to design a sheath for my jian just so that I could carry it on the back and draw from the back -- and be able to put it back in like that, which is a bit trickier.  I couldn't figure out a design that would work, so I asked someone who makes sheaths semi-professionally, and she also failed.  And that's when I learned that these swords were originally designed for horseback riding warriors -- and I don't mean the stance, I mean the actual horse.  No problem to draw it from the back if you're so inclined -- but you have to mount a horse first. :)  Or else use a shorter sword.        

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

There is another draw version at 6 : 20 ... but it takes two people    :D  .

Not a good sword for our old training hall ..... years back, a boken,  a low ceiling   and a neon light tube .....   :o

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nungali said:

There is another draw version at 6 : 20 ... but it takes two people    :D  .

Not a good sword for our old training hall ..... years back, a boken,  a low ceiling   and a neon light tube .....   :o

Ah yes, I can imagine.  I have a vivid memory of a guandao blade flying off its handle in the middle of a demo by a master from China who was giving a workshop to our taiji class.  The master was unable to board the plane with the real thing, so he trustingly used some prop found locally (and used only as decoration, so, never tested for quality) at a hard MA place where my teacher rented the premises for a while.  Just as the visiting master was twirling it over his head like a helicopter propeller, off it went flying, and could easily take someone's head off, but luckily we were an agile group and everybody ran for cover just in time.

Searching for guandao looking lance : r/ffxiv    

• Wow 1

I have seen that in a 'karate' demo in public. Some dude  playing samurai was supposed to cut something, hoicked the sword high up above his head ( to cut down ) , the blade left the hilt and flew back behind him into the crowd !

Another one , from  two brothers I trained with  in my youth , in Sikiran . Again thinking they knew how to handle 'live' swords  *  , in a demo, one lies on his back with watermelon on belly , the other cuts it in half , but not the belly ......

supposedly .

He nearly made the cut , except for a thin layer of outer skin at the bottom , which held the melon there gaping open .  The guy on the bottom realized  that if he just pushed his stomach up a bit quickly the force would split the cut all the way through and the melon fall off his belly   either side . The sword guy realized if he just sliced through that bit of skin while his sword was down there at the end of his cut , the melon  halves would fall off each side as planned .

the issue was they both had that idea and did it at the same time .   Result was ,  belly guy ended up with a very neat row of stitches across his belly . 

Some of those things are sharp !   .... and crappy !

* I only use blunts or wooden ones .

On 4/28/2024 at 10:44 AM, Nungali said:

From 7 :  20 

not quite

two 20th century practitioners of Ninjutsu, of the Bujinkan school, help each other draw their Nodachi.

12208616_804894796288099_4078126317344007078_n.jpg

Since the miao dao was too long for most men to draw in the normal fashion, a buddy system was used: each soldier would carry his partner's dao. To prepare for battle you face your partner and draw your sword from his scabbard as he does the same.

0cde99_741db3b378924f658815509511dcb185.jpg

http://cookdingskitchen.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-brilliance-of-chinese-longsword.html

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

not quite

two 20th century practitioners of Ninjutsu, of the Bujinkan school, help each other draw their Nodachi.

12208616_804894796288099_4078126317344007078_n.jpg

Since the miao dao was too long for most men to draw in the normal fashion, a buddy system was used: each soldier would carry his partner's dao. To prepare for battle you face your partner and draw your sword from his scabbard as he does the same.

0cde99_741db3b378924f658815509511dcb185.jpg

http://cookdingskitchen.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-brilliance-of-chinese-longsword.html

yes , quite .... as he said , that style is more 'acrobatics' , for show, on a stage . he shows a variation of two man draw , for battle at  6:20 (which I referred to in my 6th post ) .

Which, to me makes more sense ,  your 'page'  keeps the sheath and retires  (or in emergency could fight with it *  ) .

I would not want to be in a fight with that huge   sheath sticking out my belt !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1