Ajay0

Female enlightened master Rajini Menon on distinguishing between the inner voice and mind noise

Rajini Menon is a modern enlightened sage who attained Self-realization by adherence to virtuous conduct and following the inner voice of conscience. I had created a thread on her a few years back. 

Here is an Insightful article by Rajini Menon in distinguishing between the inner voice and mind noise.

https://rajiniji.com/whatislife/

The most righteous act is what your inner voice or inner conscience, manasakshi, tells you and not what your mind tells you.

How do you differentiate between the true inner voice and the minds outer voice? If you are served a bowl of apples and a dish of sweets, and if you are diabetic with a craving for sweets, your mind will pull you towards eating the sweets, but your inner voice will tell you to go for the apples.

Suppose a bowl of apples and a tray of oranges are served to you and if your mind pulls you towards oranges and your inner voice will be telling you that either of these is all right.

That is to say if there is a conflicting voice in you, that is, an opposing voice between the inner and the outer voice, you have to listen to, or follow the inner voice, and where there is no conflicting voice between the inner and the outer voice, there you may follow as your whims and fancies are, that is you may follow your mind’s voice or outer voice! Your job is over. Now you sit there hand on hand doing nothing. The results are not your choice. Your botheration is over once you accept what comes to you and do what is the most righteous in the situation. ~ Rajini Menon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So grateful you both shared this, this morning... such resonance for me.  Thank you!

There has been and is, an engaging dance unfolding within a field in local awareness along what used to be the border between the experience of 'this i do' and 'these other things happen to me'.

There used to be a clear line of demarcation or border for my local awareness' experience of what i do as an organism and what occurs via the environment of which i as an organism am an intrinsic expression of... 

lately inner and outer not only reflect, but merge and intermingle in a manner that was unsought, unexpected, mildly disorienting and beneath all of it... absolutely resounding with potency mixed with bouyancy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience is one of many voices, many identities that are present in relation to whatever circumstances are present.

Some are bold and clumsy, obviously rooted in patterns of conditioning and a slave to mundane desires and aversions. Others are far more subtle and sophisticated. They are more difficult to discern and thus can give the false impression of wisdom. For me, there is no single "true inner voice" that I have identified. In my experience, any voice is related to concept and language and is necessarily a product of conditioning. The true inner voice, or nature as I prefer to label it, is non-verbal. Connecting with this nature is not a matter of choosing between voices but more one of allowing all voices that arise to come and go without engagement, connecting instead to the openness and silence. Action is based on trust in the openness rather than trust in an inner voice. This distinction is subtle and possibly semantic but it's interesting for me to observe and explore this inner landscape and the ambiguous labels we attach to it for purposes of understanding and communication. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

hesitate  about following one's "still small voice" and be more or less lost.

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 12:24 AM, Ajay0 said:

Rajini Menon is a modern enlightened sage who attained Self-realization by adherence to virtuous conduct and following the inner voice of conscience. I had created a thread on her a few years back. 

Here is an Insightful article by Rajini Menon in distinguishing between the inner voice and mind noise.

https://rajiniji.com/whatislife/

Following the inner voice of conscience.  This is something that doesn't get talked about enough here, and yet it is the most important component, IMO, of attaining enlightenment.  It isn't attained with the mind, it's attained by removal of traits and reflexes that get in the way of clarity.  Beautifully said by the Rajini

• Like 2