Sign in to follow this  
Summer

There are all different types and functions of dreams , you should not think that 'dreams' is just one thing . I dont find it strange that we dream , I dont find it strange that we dream strange dreams .   We are strange .

Do all animals dream ?    Including  plankton  .... and tardigrades ?

8xqpt8vw57651.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=7d641afa426278f45682ef78843280ac2f565346e32fa8fb4f9dac32816f4235&ipo=images

• Haha 1

On 20/01/2024 at 4:01 PM, Summer said:

What are they to you?

Astral travels? Emotional discharge? Subconscious venting? Something else? I find it pretty strange that we dream, don't you? It seems to be very energy intense. Yet all animals do it. Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Edited by Apotheose

There is dreamwork in therapy context, others believe in it, others don't, interpretation of dreams is very personalised.

If someone chooses to do therapy that involves dreamwork, personally I found the work on dreams about the shadow self and dreams about the anima to be helpful. Helpful in understanding ourselves, even parts we may try to reject or parts we don't understand.

That said, going beyond that, there's a point where one may want to consider if it's worth to spend the day analysing what they saw at night.

Keep in mind that only few dreams have significance most are garbage and one can always see something just because of a stomach ache due to food.

Astral travels, haven't really been studied, no clue as to what they are, they're not even well defined, two persons may mean two different things with that phrase.

A common definition is that they are very vivid, distinctly more so that other dreams, tend to start off somewhere resembling the real world in great detail and seem to have their processes for occuring.

People choose to call them astral because they believe they go to some objective realm they call the astral realm. Of course no such physical realm has been found.

Whether this type of dream actually does work beyond our psyche ie works with the collective unconscious, the psychoid etc, I don't know, can't rule it out either.

Honestly one of the best ways to explore eg the collective unconscious and other concepts is to do active imagination work with an analytical psychologist. The difference to dreamwork is that there's more structure in how it's done, a therapist is there when it's done, the therapist also is aware of all previous active imagination sessions.

Beyond dreamwork in therapy, I had found some lucid dreaming techniques interesting, especially working with lucid nightmares. Instead of fighting bad guys/daemons in dreams, I just let them wipe me off the face of the earth and then remanifested myself, why not, it's my dream after all.

After a few occurrences of that, bad guys/demons didn't appear again and interestingly nightmares became all about stuff that may happen in real life, a loved one getting sick, a work crisis etc.

So at that point I chose to abandon dreamworld and lucid dreaming entirely as in a sense itself telling me to do so.

Btw don't  believe anyone who says ah you need to be lucid when dreaming, you need to have awareness in your sleep, otherwise if eg you die in a dream blah blah.

It's fine to lose awareness sometimes, you may even not even want to have awareness sometimes eg during surgery.

Usually it's a sign of needing to be in control/not letting go if someone wants to always keep awareness in dreams, though a lucid dream here and there can be fun.

Edited by snowymountains
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, snowymountains said:

Keep in mind that only few dreams have significance most are garbage and one can always see something just because of a stomach ache due to food.

“You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!”

Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Sign in to follow this