Cobie

grave disappointments

A thread to post various things that were a grave disappointment to you. 

Edited by Cobie

There are so many very very very important issues, and almost no one anywhere cares about them. 

As a society all most people care about is being entertained, till they wind up in a nursing home.

36 minutes ago, Bai Xi said:

Why did you kill them all?

:lol: because they all ‘gravely disappointed’ me :P

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kakapo said:

There are so many very very very important issues, and almost no one anywhere cares about them. 

As a society all most people care about is being entertained, till they wind up in a nursing home.

Can you give an example with an actual IRL person, something that touched you personally?

1 hour ago, kakapo said:

It has become the norm where the influence of Hollywood, consumerism, selfishness and entitlement is now normal. And then after when they get older, everyone has a pity on them.

On 12/10/2023 at 2:54 PM, Cobie said:

Can you give an example with an actual IRL person, something that touched you personally?

Sure if you want a personal example.

The company I work for loses tons of money because our procedures state we have to provide a secure access code to anyone who calls in and claims to be someone they aren't. 

So long as they can answer 5 questions correctly, by protocol and procedure we have to provide a secure access code to a scammer, leading to all kinds of problems for them, for us, for everyone.

We lose a lot of money as a result of this.

The solution is super simple. 

Force them to update their phone number on file in person, so we can verify their identification, and then they can get a secure access code sent to their new phone number.

Upper management sent out an email asking how can we stop hemorrhaging money, reduce risk, and mitigate losses.

I was like umm... we can stop providing secure access codes.

The utility of a secure access code is that only a customer's phone can get it, and if we hand them out it defeats the purpose and we might as well not even use them. 

I was met with complete and total apathy.

The situation is completely and totally insane, but we'll keep on doing it. 

There are many more situations like this talking about specific problems we face as a species, and no one cares about anything more than whats for dinner and whats on TV.

The apathy is so painful to me.

Boardroom-Meeting-Suggestion.jpg

Edited by kakapo
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

14 minutes ago, Mig said:

It has become the norm where the influence of Hollywood, consumerism, selfishness and entitlement is now normal. And then after when they get older, everyone has a pity on them.

2 minutes ago, Cobie said:

Let see one example. While traveling and living in my van, I had to use public restrooms. Whenever I had to go to impoverished area, the restrooms were filthy, vandalized and not taken care so if I had to pee, I would go near a tree as it was disgusting just to stand in those restrooms. Then I would go to a public library in a decent area and the situation was the same. Lastly, I will stop in a nice residential area or well off place, the restrooms were clean, well taken care and had all you need. I came to the conclusion that people without education, entitled and selfish wouldn't even care about public facilities, even at work, they become just like many others. People who are educated they care better and try to keep their facilities in good shape so others can enjoy too. I saw that too in other countries, industrialized or third world countries. It seems to be a natural human trait to be selfish and care less.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cobie said:

@Mig Thanks for giving the example. Which country did this take place?

USA, in California, NY, Illinois, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas mostly in large cities. Same thing in France and I noticed more in Sweden, so different when I live in those places back in the 70s and 80s. Also, same scenario and even worse in Mexico, Central American countries and Peru

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Cobie said:

@Mig Bit unclear to me.

I think he is saying he traveled a lot and saw that scenario in the locations mentioned.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Cobie said:

@Mig Bit unclear to me.

Those are the places I have lived and noticed the poor conditions an nice conditions of public restrooms. Back in the 80's when I went to mainland China the restrooms were a collective room, everyone doing their business and in the dorms, restrooms were very clean.

• Thanks 1

There's not much to be disappointed in.

Stubbornness has always been a more valuable survival trait than intelligence.

The outcome is predictable.

I only wish I had predicted it sooner.

13 minutes ago, Cobie said:

@Sanity Check Can you give an example with an actual IRL person, something that touched you personally?

Sorry, I don't really get touched by things people do IRL or otherwise.

Its more like I try to do the opposite of the examples I'm exposed to.

I don't see a lot of positive. Only negative for the most part.

The closest I come to being touched is feeling sorry for people.

If people made different choices, they could easily enhance their lives 10x times over.

For whatever reason, most choose to make choices they inevitably feel guilty and bad about.

Then pat themselves on the back as if they made the hot stock market call of the century.

Its like watching people pee on an electric fence, shocking and injuring themselves terribly.

Then waking up the next day to do it all over again. And the next day and the next. Everyday of their lives until the end.

Simply due to them not being able to imagine doing things any differently.

Being too stubborn and rigid to break routine.

Last month I re-ordered my medicine and was told no.  Calling  learned no more unless I saw the heart doctor.  I'd been on the medicine for years.  Told them I was about to go on vacation, I was nearly out, just get me some.  I assumed my doctor who I'd known for years would break policy and write me a subscription.  Nope.  I had to make an appointment later and was told no.  

Letting them know I considered them heartless soulless bureaucrats did not change their minds.  So, had to see the doctor.   There are worse but when you're on a vital medicine you don't want to feel blackmailed by your health care.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1