old3bob

when should long time

The word "lurk" sounds a bit sinister, as if people who choose to keep their opinions to themselves are climbing on ladders to peer into their neighbor's bedrooms.  But wait, isn't that ridiculous?  There's nothing wrong -- and often a lot right -- with staying quiet.  Lurkers of the World Unite.  You are bothering nobody.  Share when and if you feel inspired.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, old3bob said:

when should long time lurkers speak up?  There must be a thousand+ of them who never say a word,  what gives ?

After being here a long time and seeing the big view counts it doesn't seem right to me that some people never contribute. So maybe if they don't after 6 months to a year the site system could warn them of being terminated at some point?  I'm pretty sure most members here could care less about non-contributing lurkers vicariously going over others posts.  Anyway what is your opinion on the mater?  (namely lurkers and contributors, this would not include past contributors that are semi-retired so to speak)

https://zenmudra.com/230919-Pirates-very-interesting.mp4

I wonder why anyone would sign up to be a member of the forum, and not post or comment--they can always view the discussion without signing up!  Maybe because of the summary emails? 

The view count is only forum member views, right?

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Thanks 1

Well what does that mean Silent Thunder?  Do you know of any viable groups besides on websites where some members never have to contribute a thing and just float around the group?

It's a common phenomenon on Internet forums.

TDB is a comparatively big one. And the bigger the forum, the more passive members you can expect.

Direct contributors are always just the tip of the ice berg. But that doesn't mean that the part that remains below the surface has no function. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

The word "lurk" sounds a bit sinister, as if people who choose to keep their opinions to themselves are climbing on ladders to peer into their neighbor's bedrooms.  But wait, isn't that ridiculous?  There's nothing wrong -- and often a lot right -- with staying quiet.  Lurkers of the World Unite.  You are bothering nobody.  Share when and if you feel inspired.

lurk.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, old3bob said:

ok there is that aspect but there is also the aspect I'm bringing up which imo is not over-ridden outright by what you are saying

I don't understand your post. 

If somebody has something wonderful to say, then yes, I would prefer to hear it.  But one thing I've learned chatting online is "ya can't change anybody else's posting style."  Many a Bum has wished that you'd change the way you post, old3bob.  I myself have wondered whether your style of political commentary actually hurts the causes you believe in.  But try as we might to change you, you persist -- gloriously!  You say what you wanna say and cannot be stopped.  And good for you!  In the end, perhaps that's for the best, that each of us has the freedom to express ourselves -- or not express ourselves -- as we see fit.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Thanks 1

Not every part of the board can be accessed without subscription. This is probably one of the reasons why some people join without chiming in.

I am here to share my knowledge and my views. And I appreciate everyone who cares to listen, or who wishes to follow the interesting discussions we are often having. It goes without saying that anyone is welcome to contribute. But if they choose to just read and reflect on what is being presented by themself, that's cool with me. I would not like to see anyone being chastised for their "laziness."

Heck, I am far too much of a Daoist, and indeed a (space) punk, to support rules that aren't strictly necessary! And that's the spirit I wish for this forum to keep expressing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, old3bob said:

it doesn't seem right to me that some people never contribute. …

I agree. I think lurkers are creepy. I find them of poor character. Taking only and never giving. Having access to my PPD, I don’t like that.

Edited by Cobie
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cobie said:

Having access to my PPD, I don’t like that.

I'm kinda the opposite.  I'd love to think I have an audience of hundreds thousands of eager PPD readers clamoring to read my writing but alas...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

:wacko:  back to ya Michael, 20 all 

Old3Bob, I didn't understand your "quotation" here, it only contained something I never wrote.

And here you adressed me after you "quoted" yourself in an empty box?!

🤔

Edited by Michael Sternbach

2 hours ago, old3bob said:

and the mods could give their 2 cents on the matter since they might or would be the ones involved in decisions along these lines.

Well, it would mean quite a lot of extra work for the mods. Members would have to be manually checked for the last time they posted something.

And Sean would have to weigh in too, I think.

Somebody should write a dystopian short story about lurking Bums who are forced at threat of banishment to post.  "But I don't know anything about non-dualism, your honor.  I'm only 13."

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, old3bob said:

how about for any website based on facts? Btw. we know for sure as heck that unwanted cruising goes on at various websites and that there should be some kind of mechanism to address that.  (software wise that does not need much or any manual interaction  by mods once in place)  And I don't mean a big brother type of software that is watching everything or everyone all the time. 

I guess I just don't get it.  What about lurkers bothers you?  Are you irked that they're freeloading, getting access to all this cool information but not contributing?  To me it's like wandering into a fancy art gallery when I have no intention of buying.  If the viewing stokes my appreciation for art I think it's all for the best.  And who knows -- someday I might buy.

Sometimes people lurk because they think -- rightly or wrongly -- that they don't have anything to say.  Sometimes people lurk because they're sensitive and know that the sometimes harsh back-and-forth of social media dialogue isn't for them.  Sometimes people don't have a good grasp of English.  People lurk for all sorts of reasons and I figure it's their decision and not really my business.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2