Kojiro

What is your favourite fruit?

On 4/13/2023 at 2:52 AM, Taomeow said:

I saw them for the first time when they served them on a plane en route from Guangzhou to Xi'an.  As an airplane meal they wowed me, but I had them a number of times since then and they didn't become a favorite.  They are pleasant but I found the taste rather one-dimensional (so to speak) unlike the striking appearance.    

I have found that ... from the store bought ones . I  put in a small piece a few years back .... it loves the spot and has got huge . The dark red type .... very nice and a 'wider' taste and intensity .  many people like them and at $7 each they make good trade . My Chiropractor was accepting them as exchange ,   I can swap them with neighbour who has eggs  and they just happen to be the fav fruit of my new 'paramour'   ;)    * 

They are very good also with ice cream or as a smoothie .... and the flower ... WOW !  Its like 'Queen of the night '  vine , its best just before dawn , you only get one dawn viewing , they dont open the day before , open one night and by the time the sun hits them they droop and sorta fold ,

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.6KpYynfoP9ws4ocycytQLAHaE-%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=ff97b17be001fbea3c3eece9a62312c135dceb6ffd37438ad43e68cb86df1d9b&ipo=images

but when they open, they are magnificent , a bunch of feathery stalks with pads on the end  and an anemone  shaped part in the middle

Dragon Fruit Flower Blooming (Vietnam White Giant) - YouTube

Dragon fruit flower | Dragon fruit flower, Cactus and succulents, Flowers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Some linguists assert that "apple" in the bible is a mistranslation and that the fruit of the original was a pomegranate.  I think the story might be true (don't remember the linguistic proof, read it a long time ago) because the inner structure of the pomegranate seems to visually tell the story of the structure of the universe more obviously -- at least to me it does. 

As for why it would confer the knowledge of good and evil, I think the plot thickens...  Each little juicy thingie inside (google tells me it's called an "aril"), sweet and pretty, contains a hard little pit, on the bitter side.  Yang within yin, in a different tradition.  If you were to grow the seed, that yang would burst out and turn into a tree that would bear fruit that would again contain yang skin on the surface ("yang embracing yin" in our tradition), yin arils with yang centers inside, and so on.  There's a new pomegranate tree in every yin-yang aril.  Also, each is more or less structured like the womb, watery medium with a fetus inside.  Why this kind of knowledge would tantamount to the knowledge of good and evil in the eyes of the old testament god, and why its revelation to Adam and Eve would anger him -- I guess one would have to ask him, I can only hypothesize.          

The name pomegranate derives from medieval Latin pōmum "apple" and grānātum "seeded". Possibly stemming from the old French word for the fruit, pomme-grenade "

This was also related to the Biblical 'holy hand grenade '

Lot #543 - MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL (1975) - Holy Hand Grenade ...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nungali said:

The name pomegranate derives from medieval Latin pōmum "apple" and grānātum "seeded". Possibly stemming from the old French word for the fruit, pomme-grenade "

This was also related to the Biblical 'holy hand grenade '

Lot #543 - MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL (1975) - Holy Hand Grenade ...

The original language of the bible was Hebrew (with some of the scriptures written in Aramaic).  How the apple got into later translations is anyone's guess, because in the original it's just "fruit," unspecified.  Maybe the evidence in favor of pomegranate was circumstantial rather than linguistic, I don't remember exactly how that hypothesis was argumented by some bible scholars.  

If a direct translation of the source materials were feasible; would the cornerstone works of any of the great houses of modern 'spirituality' even be recognizable, I wonder? 

As to fruits; I'm going to try an apricot for the first time today...:wub:

• Like 1

many fruits are named after the apple, pomegranate being just one of them. there are more (custard apple, pineapple, etc). It is like it is the most basic of fruits

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kojiro said:

many fruits are named after the apple, pomegranate being just one of them. there are more (custard apple, pineapple, etc). It is like it is the most basic of fruits

Orange in some languages too, e.g.  Apfelsine in German -- "apple from China" or "Chinese apple."  In Russian and Ukrainian -- apel'sin.     

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Orange in some languages too, e.g.  Apfelsine in German -- "apple from China" or "Chinese apple."  In Russian and Ukrainian -- apel'sin.     

Recently I have heard from some nutrition and health gurus that the dark colored fruits are more "powerful and cleansing" than the light colored. Fruits like black grapes, black cherries, dark berries, pomegranates, etc., are thus considered better than oranges, apples or pears. I myself am not sure about this idea. Even though I consider the color of the fruit to be very important, I think it is probably better to eat a variety of colors, but I don't know if the darker varieties are better as they say. David Wolfe even says that this idea is in accord with the daoist teaching that the dark food is the best source of energy. What is your opinion about that? do you think the color of the fruit is important too? do you think the dark and black colors are "stronger"?

21 hours ago, silent thunder said:

If a direct translation of the source materials were feasible; would the cornerstone works of any of the great houses of modern 'spirituality' even be recognizable, I wonder? 

As to fruits; I'm going to try an apricot for the first time today...:wub:

Whoa !  Hang on there dude ..... have you thought this through and the implications behind it ?

Sure, an apricot is pretty low key .... but that's how it starts . Soon it will be peaches, then one  day ..... a mango  

Whatchya gonna do then ? 

th?id=OIP.lzz7PlddCIm20GJd1_Q2ZwAAAA%26pid=Api&f=1&ipt=f467068adf5790a056a27e04879c17044b0f1a814c192e57c43fb973ac5ef8cd&ipo=images

• Haha 1

I'm mostly surprised they've evaded me for this long...

They're so mundane and so readily available here.  It seems odd.

Perhaps it's that they resemble peaches.  Peaches that aren't done yet... 

Don't eat the baby peaches!

4 hours ago, Kojiro said:

Recently I have heard from some nutrition and health gurus that the dark colored fruits are more "powerful and cleansing" than the light colored. Fruits like black grapes, black cherries, dark berries, pomegranates, etc., are thus considered better than oranges, apples or pears. I myself am not sure about this idea. Even though I consider the color of the fruit to be very important, I think it is probably better to eat a variety of colors, but I don't know if the darker varieties are better as they say. David Wolfe even says that this idea is in accord with the daoist teaching that the dark food is the best source of energy. What is your opinion about that? do you think the color of the fruit is important too? do you think the dark and black colors are "stronger"?

My guess is, among fruits of the same species, more intense color is associated with better nutritional profile.  It signifies ripeness, among other things, a dark colored fruit has come into its full power, so to speak.  But I doubt it holds true when comparing fruits of different species.  They simply have different nutrients, but the ones in the pale species are not necessarily inferior, just different.   

• Like 2

Finally I am going full fruitarian. I have been eating only fruit for the last few weeks and I feel quite well. Although I haven't healed all my issues so far. Anyway I prefer this than to fast for long periods of time, and eating only fruit is probably the most similar thing to a complete fast. And although I feel quite well, perhaps better than ever in these last years, I am losing a lot of weight. I am becoming too thin, for the standard view, but I guess this is the price to pay for healing myself after years of nutritional errors and abuses. 

Edited by Kojiro

On 12/06/2023 at 4:15 AM, Kojiro said:

Finally I am going full fruitarian. I have been eating only fruit for the last few weeks and I feel quite well. Although I haven't healed all my issues so far. Anyway I prefer this than to fast for long periods of time, and eating only fruit is probably the most similar thing to a complete fast. And although I feel quite well, perhaps better than ever in these last years, I am losing a lot of weight. I am becoming too thin, for the standard view, but I guess this is the price to pay for healing myself after years of nutritional errors and abuses. 

Are you omitting veg, probiotics  and healthy oils too?

I wouldn't do it, but then, to each his own, I suppose. 

Just be mindful your gut function isn't compromised by too much fiber. Studies show consuming more than 70g of fiber per day can have adverse effects on gut health. 

Edited by C T
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of those diets that make WEF happy.  The most radically privileged elites in history openly maintained that meat consumption should be reserved for the upper classes.  Today they use propaganda, brainwashing and corrupt science rather than direct statements of this nature, so the ruled cooperate with the rulers more eagerly.  For their own good of course.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, these last days I am eating peaches like there is no tomorrow. I had forgotten how good they taste, they are very very good, and in season now :) Can I say that they are better than mangos? Somehow they taste and look a little bit as mangos, but I think they are even better (and much cheaper).

And I see also that the chinese consider them a very good fruit in their traditional lore.

Edited by Kojiro

2 hours ago, Kojiro said:

Wow, these last days I am eating peaches like there is no tomorrow. I had forgotten how good they taste, they are very very good, and in season now :) Can I say that they are better than mangos? Somehow they taste and look a little bit as mangos, but I think they are even better (and much cheaper).

If you love peaches, I think maybe you'd also enjoy nectarines. It's the one fruit I miss most since leaving Europe. 

39 minutes ago, C T said:

If you love peaches, I think maybe you'd also enjoy nectarines. It's the one fruit I miss most since leaving Europe. 

right, in facts nectarines are a type of peach, as it is the case with the flat peach. But I think peaches are superior to them. Nectarines are a little bit more acidic

Edited by Kojiro

Yes tovarisch Taomeow.

Let's all follow NK:

"In the early to mid-1990s, unable to combat the growing food crisis and refusing to seek international assistance, the North Korean government actively encouraged the population to forage for alternative or wild foods instead, such as roots, grasses and stalks, promoting them as healthy and safe sources of nutrients."

Very healthy and tasty indeed; meanwhile the Supreme Commander Kim Jong IL was enjoying premium sushi prepared by the Japanese chef Kenji Fujimoto.

Lead by example. 

*https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2010/07/starving-north-koreans-forced-survive-diet-grass-and-tree-bark/#:~:text=In the early to mid,and safe sources of nutrients.

8 hours ago, Kojiro said:

right, in facts nectarines are a type of peach, as it is the case with the flat peach. But I think peaches are superior to them. Nectarines are a little bit more acidic

Something quite trivial, but it's believed nectarines first appeared in China some 4000 years ago, before its close cousin the peach. 

And.....

Nectarines provide twice the amount of Vitamin A, and slightly more Vitamin C and potassium than peaches .

3 hours ago, Kojiro said:

According to this source peaches have more vitamin A than nectarines

Yeah, typically, I like to cross ref information 

• Like 1

For vitamin A, I wouldn't be choosing between nectarines and peaches.  I would go for liver, fish, cheese, butter and eggs.  Fruits and veggies don't contain vitamin A straight up -- instead, they contain carotenoids which the human body can convert into vitamin A in 55% of people.  45%, however, are not genetically equipped to take this metabolic step, so no matter how many carotenoids are present in their diet, they will wind up vitamin A deficient unless they get it in its ready-made form from foods that have it in this form.  A bit of a gamble to assume that one belongs to the lucky 55% without knowing for sure.  

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 4:09 PM, silent thunder said:

I'm mostly surprised they've evaded me for this long...

They're so mundane and so readily available here.  It seems odd.

Perhaps it's that they resemble peaches.  Peaches that aren't done yet... 

Don't eat the baby peaches!

What you get here and now are baby apricots, they never sell them ripe.  Fully tree-ripened apricots are delicious, though the level of deliciousness also depends on the variety, of which I know four, and like all of them (when ripe of course).  The one that I only had in Armenia and haven't encountered anywhere else was the best, in fact it was so good as to be a strong contender for "The best fruit I ever had" title.  Interestingly, the local name for that variety is zirani, reminiscent of the taoist concept of ziran. :)

I grew up eating plenty of apricots every summer, and later I would always make some apricot preserves at home, using a recipe which preserved their shape intact -- they turned a transparent amber and were not only great to have with tea but also a feast for the eyes to look at.  That preserve took three days to make, you just brought them to a boil in syrup and then turned the heat off and left them to soak for hours, repeating the process several times in the course of three days.  

Густой прозрачный сироп и целые «мармеладные» дольки. Готовим «правильное»  варенье из абрикосов | КАФЕ-ШАФРАН | Дзен

• Like 4