Sign in to follow this  
old3bob

Dark Chocolate, WTF!

Just read some info on dark chocolate: (in Feb. issue of Mother Jones mag) turns out that most brands including the organic ones are way over the daily limit for lead and cadmiun, like 100-200%!  And I thought I was being healthy minded in eating lots of it.  There are a few brands according to their info that are lower in heavy metals, for instance Ghiradelli which is not organic so maybe it could have lots of pesticide and herbicide content? What is soul to do?

• Like 1

Cacao is often grown in volcanic soil which is extremely rich in heavy metals like cadmium, vanadium, and others.

Years ago I began ingesting raw cacao as a source of minerals and for other purported health benefits.

Upon doing some research, I learned that raw cacao must be ingested in moderation for just that reason.

I was not aware, although it makes full sense, that processed forms of cacao like dark chocolate might require similar caution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, old3bob said:

Just read some info on dark chocolate: (in Feb. issue of Mother Jones mag) turns out that most brands including the organic ones are way over the daily limit for lead and cadmiun, like 100-200%!  And I thought I was being healthy minded in eating lots of it.  There are a few brands according to their info that are lower in heavy metals, for instance Ghiradelli which is not organic so maybe it could have lots of pesticide and herbicide content? What is soul to do?

Maybe 'soul' needs to do this ;

"  ..  For a single exposure by ingestion, gastric decontamination by emesis or gastric lavage may be beneficial soon after exposure "

or maybe 'soul' should not eat chocolate ?

Jeanne Caulment, the longest living human documented by Western records (which ignore documented evidence from non-Western countries but that's a different conversation) ate 1 kg of chocolate per week for most of her 122 years of life.   I guess those daily limits weren't set yet.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's easy to find stories of centenarians who credit their longevity to booze or cigarettes, so I'm not surprised to hear that Jeanne Caulment ate a lot of chocolate, a food widely lauded for it's health benefits.  Now if only I could find a 105 year old touting the virtues of fettucine alfredo.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, old3bob said:

Normally it seems to be straight cacao powder as opposed to the formed bars themselves, as far as my understanding goes at least

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Maybe 'soul' needs to do this ;

"  ..  For a single exposure by ingestion, gastric decontamination by emesis or gastric lavage may be beneficial soon after exposure "

or maybe 'soul' should not eat chocolate ?

right or at least cut back...

2 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Normally it seems to be straight cacao powder as opposed to the formed bars themselves, as far as my understanding goes at least

in the list in the MJ mag some of the formed bars were very high in said heavy metals...

1 hour ago, old3bob said:

in the list in the MJ mag some of the formed bars were very high in said heavy metals...

Looks suspiciously at Viviani bars on the counter that are a daily.....

21 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

It's easy to find stories of centenarians who credit their longevity to booze or cigarettes, so I'm not surprised to hear that Jeanne Caulment ate a lot of chocolate, a food widely lauded for it's health benefits.  Now if only I could find a 105 year old touting the virtues of fettucine alfredo.  

When i worked as an orderly in the hospital, our boss , the 'head orderly' was way past retirement, in his late 70s - fit and active, never took sick days . He was still on his 'Navy rations' that started as a teen in the navy ; everyday ,  a 1/2 bottle of sherry and a 1/2 packet of unfiltered Capstan cigarettes .  I was rather impressed that he never increased the dosage .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

When i worked as an orderly in the hospital, our boss , the 'head orderly' was way past retirement, in his late 70s - fit and active, never took sick days . He was still on his 'Navy rations' that started as a teen in the navy ; everyday ,  a 1/2 bottle of sherry and a 1/2 packet of unfiltered Capstan cigarettes .  I was rather impressed that he never increased the dosage .

sounds kind of like George Burns, except for the hospital job...

Sign in to follow this