anshino23

Interview with Adam Mizner

On 1/20/2023 at 11:41 AM, Shadow_self said:

One of the answers I got when asking about the aims of the practice was nirodha (well technically nirodha without return) 

One thing I find interesting about this interview is that if people were paying attention, they actually gave away the mechanism for generating qi properly.

Well, it is not really a "secret" so much as it is generally difficult to attain outside of full time practice and retreat. It is written about in the traditional scriptures and commentaries (which is one reason it helps to be familiar with them). Jhana is a bit of a catch-call-- spiritual practice, medical practice, sexual redirection practice for celibates, etc. To some extent, there is a similar process at play in our own lives as we are refreshed by deep sleep, which to most of us is a state of ignorance unless you practice some sort of night time yoga. 

However, it is not clear to me that energy manifests the same way in Theravada Buddhism as it does in Daoism or other paths. So for example, I don't think you build/concentrate a dan tian by achieving jhanic states. 

Nirdoha is not seen as the goal for Mahayana paths, and in fact is an obstacle to the Mahayana way, which is often described as becoming a Buddha with the power to help sentient beings. Which, to answer Dwai's inquiry earlier, is the point of being able to manifest in illusion post-enlightenment from a Buddhist POV. There are bodhisattas and Buddhas in Theravada, but they are a little differently structured in my experience. 

On 1/21/2023 at 7:02 AM, Wilhelm said:

Since we are in the realm of speculation here, I had wondered about this sort of description accounting for the stories around Jesus' resurrection (i.e. he showed himself to the five hundred in Cor 15).

The Catholics certainly noticed. Father Tiso for one, if you're interested. 

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/252752/rainbow-body-and-resurrection-by-francis-v-tiso/

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, forestofemptiness said:

Well, it is not really a "secret" so much as it is generally difficult to attain outside of full time practice and retreat. It is written about in the traditional scriptures and commentaries (which is one reason it helps to be familiar with them). Jhana is a bit of a catch-call-- spiritual practice, medical practice, sexual redirection practice for celibates, etc. To some extent, there is a similar process at play in our own lives as we are refreshed by deep sleep, which to most of us is a state of ignorance unless you practice some sort of night time yoga. 

However, it is not clear to me that energy manifests the same way in Theravada Buddhism as it does in Daoism or other paths. So for example, I don't think you build/concentrate a dan tian by achieving jhanic states. 

Nirdoha is not seen as the goal for Mahayana paths, and in fact is an obstacle to the Mahayana way, which is often described as becoming a Buddha with the power to help sentient beings. Which, to answer Dwai's inquiry earlier, is the point of being able to manifest in illusion post-enlightenment from a Buddhist POV. There are bodhisattas and Buddhas in Theravada, but they are a little differently structured in my experience. 

I don't practice Mahayana, so thats not what I was making a reference to

I do the Daoist stuff and a few less known about Theravada practices. I dont have a whole heap of information on the latter as per now, so it would be premature of me to say much in that regard. But that is the answer I was given regards aims

Both are tantric methods per se though

I also was not referring to Jhana regards building qi. I was referring to a tantric method again