Sign in to follow this  
old3bob

Non-dualistic Shaivite school(s)

To correct an apparently common misunderstanding:  Advaita Vendanta does not have a monopoly on non-dualism..."Shiva and Jana Yoga, the Yoga of knowledge,  Shiva is the main deity honored in non-dualistic Advaita Vendata and non-dualistic Shaivite systems like Siddha Yoga, as he indicates the supreme Self and its direct realization..."  David Frawley  

(as just one example)

Edited by old3bob

Just now, old3bob said:

.. Advaita Vendanta does not have a monopoly on non-dualism..."

o.k. Question, what is “non-dualism”?

or maybe we could go to the Buddhist forum and ask,  "what is the sound of one hand clapping",

anyway for some reflection's on your question awhile back there was a very long string of posts on the subject of non-duality and duality which I'd suggest as someplace to hash ideas out....

Edited by old3bob

8 minutes ago, old3bob said:

or maybe we could go to the Buddhist forum and ask,  "what is the sound of one hand clapping",

anyway for some reflection's on your question awhile back there was a very long string of posts on the subject of non-duality and duality which I'd suggest as someplace to hash ideas out....

I conclude from this reply that you do not know what “non-dualism“ is. 

Edited by Cobie

2 minutes ago, Cobie said:

I conclude you do not know what it is. 

I conclude that the mind of things does not and can not know what it is....so if one wants to pin things down one will have to stick to things...Btw. for pointers to that which can not be pinned down I'd suggest study of the Upanishads.  (as a major source)

Edited by old3bob

20 hours ago, old3bob said:

I conclude that the mind of things does not and can not know what it is....so if you waht to pin things down you will have to stick to things...for pointers to that which can not be pinned down I'd suggest study of the Upanishads.  (as a major source)

The usual reply of people that do not know, refer you to a fat book that will lead you nowhere. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Haha 1

or for a non-"fat book":  "Tao  can be talked about, but not the Eternal Tao"...." Chapter one, sentence one,  T.T.C.

'

Edited by old3bob

On 12/18/2022 at 1:47 PM, old3bob said:

To correct an apparently common misunderstanding:  Advaita Vendanta does not have a monopoly on non-dualism..."Shiva and Jana Yoga, the Yoga of knowledge,  Shiva is the main deity honored in non-dualistic Advaita Vendata and non-dualistic Shaivite systems like Siddha Yoga, as he indicates the supreme Self and its direct realization..."  David Frawley  

(as just one example)

The Shaiva siddhantha tradition from Tamil Nadu started as a dualistic tradition.  In many ways it still is.  But, after Kashmir Shaivism became popular (monism), the non-dual aspects were accepted.  The KS non-dual is different from the Advaitic non-dual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With one system absorbing the practices of another( like Vedata adopting the practices of Saiva tantra) there does not seem to be any clear line of demarcation anymore.

Edited by Bhathen
  • Thanks 1

https://www.lakshmanjooacademy.org/

I have heard good things but only have a single textbook. This is Kashmir Shaivism.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/

I have completed about 1/4 of their course. They used to classify themselves as non-dual, but now are more mono-theistic. The end-goal is to merge with Shiva, so it culminates in non-dualism. They have a lineage tracing back to the Tamil Nadu saints. I do recommend this one as its much more comprehensive and does not shy away from (safe) tantras and esoteric discussion. Lots of free material as well. 

Edited by searcher7977
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, searcher7977 said:

https://www.lakshmanjooacademy.org/

I have heard good things but only have a single textbook. This is Kashmir Shaivism.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/

I have completed about 1/4 of their course. They used to classify themselves as non-dual, but now are more mono-theistic. The end-goal is to merge with Shiva, so it culminates in non-dualism. They have a lineage tracing back to the Tamil Nadu saints. I do recommend this one as its much more comprehensive and does not shy away from (safe) tantras and esoteric discussion. Lots of free material as well. 

the Himalayan Academy uses this outline for the tattvas, which includes evolution through (most of) them, thus different from some forms or schools of non-dualism.

back-to-top-36-tattvas-11569044790efozqex0ac.png.96352de810fa4327195a2d6436a0fce3.png

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

63e77d582cf7a_MtKailash.jpg.b83e9f430db5169feaa4cc543bafd424.jpg

It is deemed to be the abode of Lord Shiva and his consort, Goddess Parvati, by Hindus, the deity Demchok by Buddhists, Rishabhadeva by Jains, TagzigOlmo Lung Ring, or the “nine-story Swastika mountain by Bon religion. Many mountain explorers failed incessantly or lost their lives in their endeavor to summit the mountain. It is deemed that no human soul can ever conquer the mountain, and now it's prohibited, owing to its sanctity of it. In Tibetan texts, it is written that Shambala, a spiritual country, is located in the northwest of Kailash.

Sign in to follow this