steve

World Cup 2022

A thread for any Bums obsessed or simply interested in the Cup. Some interesting upsets. I didn’t see it but need to catch a replay of the Iran-Wales match.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Amazing World Cup so far. I’m enjoying seeing all the big teams get thrashed. 

Why people are more upset about alcohol being banned than the thousands of slaves who died building those stadiums still baffles me. #BoycottQatarWorldCup

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Why people are more upset about alcohol being banned than the thousands of slaves who died building those stadiums still baffles me. #BoycottQatarWorldCup

‘Thanks for bringing this to the attention of others here that will not bother to pay attention to this horrific problem. The UAE has built cities on the backs of slaves from other countries. Included is this travesty is Saudi Arabia with its share of horrific human rights abuses. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m not a FIFA or Qatar fan but I’m going to ask that we keep this thread focused on the game, not the politics and world suffering please. Y’all can start a new thread for that if you like. Lots of things suck in this world but the level of futbol on display in the cup is something special. 
Thanks friends

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steve said:

I’m not a FIFA or Qatar fan but I’m going to ask that we keep this thread focused on the game, not the politics and world suffering please. Y’all can start a new thread for that if you like. Lots of things suck in this world but the level of futbol on display in the cup is something special. 
Thanks friends

Sure Steve. I said my piece, and if a thread opens, I'll speak up only if I have anything else to say. I don't have access to the politics forum, and won't request access as I have found over the years most political discussions quickly become people repeating themselves ad infinitum. I'm done--one post was enough.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've ended up missing quite a few of the games, but we're now approaching the end of the group stages where the last two games of each group play at the same time.

A lot of the groups have played out where a number of different teams can go through on results, so it becomes a game of keeping track of what's going on in both games to see who makes it.

Will all the big teams make it? It looked as though Germany might not when they lost to Japan in their first match, but some important games went there way yesterday so they should be okay now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Ok now my favourites are Japan and Morocco, the giant killers

Last night was brilliant!!!

• Like 3

USA pull one back 🙂

Oh, Netherlands now have 3 ...

Netherlands through!

USA has impressed this tournament, especially their fitness levels 👍

Edited by Miffymog
Updating as the game continues 😁
  • Like 3

JJJJJJAAAAAPPPPPAAAAANNNNN!!!!!

Noooooooooooo!

Pens!

Tough luck, Croatian penalties were too good.

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

They almost had it. Korea had no chance against Brazil.

Now hopefully Morocco can thrash Spain!

Morocco vs Spain - extra time!

MOROCCO WIN ON PENS!

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Boring 90 mins but amazing extra time and pens

Unfortunately Argentina made it through but was good to see that brawl and last minute goal to deny them the easy win.

I'm sorry to tell you, but Argentina will be the World Champion...

The officiating has been perplexing at times.

It seems they've been mostly quite generous with allowing physical play across the board.

Then seemed a bit biased in favor of Argentina yesterday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve said:

The officiating has been perplexing at times.

It seems they've been mostly quite generous with allowing physical play across the board.

Then seemed a bit biased in favor of Argentina yesterday.

Messi was allowed to get away with lot...

And at the end, surely there should have been a red card somewhere? 🙂

• Like 1