Shadow_self

Nathan Brine Revised Material

8 minutes ago, Wilhelm said:

I guess my question is don't you think that would be like doing all four years of University chemistry courses without a single lab experiment? 

i understand completely what you mean. to make sense of one thing we do not understand, we try to come up with a suitable analogy. thats eminently reasonable. but you see Dao is an exact opposite of mundane learning. 1 Dao can be explained 'with one word, or half a sentence' so no years of study needed and 2. it is not about anything external like chemistry.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

i understand completely what you mean. to make sense of one thing we do not understand, we try to come up with a suitable analogy. thats eminently reasonable. but you see Dao is an exact opposite of mundane learning. 1 Dao can be explained 'with one word, or half a sentence' so no years of study needed and 2. it is not about anything external like chemistry.

If you're quoting a classic here, it went right over my head :D 

Definitely we can say Dao in a word, but it means less to me than even something as abstract as God does (given my Western Christian upbringing), and in fact my initial encounter with the word Dao led me to equate it with the Biblical God concept (which I've since abandoned given it was done arbitrarily as I had no cultural context or theory for the word Dao).

Isn't this contradictory to what was said earlier though - about the student needing to know the theory to see what they're getting into?  What is that if not mundane learning?

2 minutes ago, Wilhelm said:

If you're quoting a classic here

i do;)

2 minutes ago, Wilhelm said:

Definitely we can say Dao in a word

by dao i mean the practice method and the entire 'how and why' of alchemy/neidan/neigong from the beginning to the end. i can explain it to a reasonable person in 15 min (30 min tops if he asks questions). all with an unconditional money back guarantee!

8 minutes ago, Wilhelm said:

Isn't this contradictory to what was said earlier though - about the student needing to know the theory to see what they're getting into?  What is that if not mundane learning?

here is an example of how it was taught traditionally . check it out, may be you can spot a difference between learning the dao and learning a mundane skill ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

The Dao that can be spoken of is not the real dao. How then can the dao be explained with one word or half a sentence? :) 

I agree that it is not about external stuff like external alchemy. It is not even about internal stuff like internal alchemy. None of these can help one realize the Dao. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

what is fascinating though that the seller does not say what he sells and the buyers do not ask what they buy. There is an 8 page discussion of whether the price is high or low, video vs. in person teaching etc. Not one of these very intelligent guys ever asks what is bought and sold at that price, whats the result of that teaching is. A result is simply not a part of the equation, the what is not relevant at all. Fascinating really...and freaking hilarious!

My mom recently asked me for grocery recommendations from Trader Joes.  I told her she could walk down the aisles with her eyes closed grabbing packages off the shelf willy-nilly and end up happy with her purchases.  Of course buying groceries is only step one; you've got to actually cook that  butternut squash macaroni and cheese before ya can appreciate the savory mix of spices.  People always want to know what they're getting before they get it but only the taster knows.  What's true for Trader Joe's is likely true for the teachings of Nathan Brine: (1) it's all good, and (2) unless everybody on the scene is licking cheddar cheese sauce from messy fingers, talking is of limited utility.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

What's true for Trader Joe's is likely true for the teachings of Nathan Brine:

i could not put it better myself. kudos luke ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

What's true for Trader Joe's is likely true for the teachings of Nathan Brine.

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

i could not put it better myself. kudos luke ;)

Thanks, Taoist Texts!  The more I think about it, the more the metaphor works.  Fake friendliness in the checkout aisle, no more free coffee samples since COVID,  lots of bell ringing.

(Not that I know any of this for a fact.  Just joking around....)

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but the new courses seem to be split of the original neigong course and charged extra? 

From the courses outline seems you can learn most of 1-3 from his book or the other WLP books..

And yeah I do understand he has to make a living haha

Edited by Jaguar
  • Like 1

New course videos just dropped on YouTube - looks like intros to course 1&2

Edited by Wilhelm
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 10:25 PM, Jaguar said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the new courses seem to be split of the original neigong course and charged extra? 

From the courses outline seems you can learn most of 1-3 from his book or the other WLP books..

And yeah I do understand he has to make a living haha

The new courses have some lessons added to the original ones. 

• Like 1

I was interested in getting his materials. 

Though I noticed his online course was $75 in 2020 is now $250, and his book was $32 and is now $55.

• Like 1

yes the pricing of the courses went up alot. i have not enough information or knowledge to know if the value is there. but i really value his very clear and down to earth way of talking and explaining things without getting to mystical

• Like 1