Morphius

Free copy of the Dao De Jing as an academic paper

Can you explain why that is probably the most in-depth translation of the TTC? There are countless other translations available so your claim is rather extreme...

• Like 1

Every translation is the most in depth one yet. "Traduttore, traditore”.

This one seems a bit flat...but then,  it's not in my own "pet vocabulary ".

Engaging with the language of the Dao De Jing is an extremely worthwhile effort,  and I'm enjoying this take on Lao Tzu. 

Edited by Sketch

The conclusion of the article is OK:

In conclusion it could be summarised that Lǎozǐ’s Dào is the profound, mysterious and abstruse aspect within emptiness that has produced everything we see. Lǎozǐ described this concept as emptiness in action. Lǎozǐ uses feminine similes such as, the valley spirit, the profound female and the mother to represent it. Lǎozǐ said people should aim to return to the Dào, which meant a return to the peaceful, still, content and quiet state of (original) being. The techniques used to do this were simplicity (in living), non-contention, knowing when enough is enough (or no excesses), to be humble and frugal, to have no (or little) desires and aspirations, to be like water, to use the concept of softness and to take nature’s way as a guiding principle on how to live. From these core ideas Lǎozǐ developed the five quiescences: quiescence of the profound, quiescence of emptiness, upper quiescence, quiescence of non-contention and quiescence of nature.

As the Dàodéjīng may have been a text primarily for rulers, it does appear that Lǎozǐ’s cornerstone philosophy for ruling was based on the idea of letting things take their natural course and to not interfere too much. He called this idea, the profound quiescence. Lǎozǐ uses the sage as an exemplar for rulers to model themselves on and primarily describes them as men who do not interfere, do not contend, do not use their wisdom, do not accumulate possessions, do not go extremes, puts themselves behind the people, are modest and just let the people live naturally, whereby they benefit a hundred-fold and love their ruler.

But this is more or less the standard view of those who see the TTC as a mainly philosophical text. So there's no reason to proclaim this translation as probably superior to all others. However I don't have the expertise to say anything about the details of the translation, so I will leave commenting on that aspect to others.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

… Traduttore, traditore …

Se non è vero, è ben trovato 

Edited by Cobie