steve

Original Dao Bums

On 5/3/2022 at 6:38 PM, Nungali said:

No , but you suggested I  suggested that these people that where not banned are allowed to return  .... and that is ironic because I was banned .... even though they where never banned in the first place .

Hope that cleared up every thing for everyone  .

absolutely, and thank you so much for that.

and I will unlock this thread. 

also, I have split posts from here to the 

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 2:04 PM, steve said:

fwiw

It looks like the Original Dao forum will be shutting down soon.

https://www.originaldao.com/viewtopic.php?t=1888

I rarely visited but fondly miss many of its members. There was a lot of emotional reactivity and pain when things fell apart. I wonder if any of our exes would want to return and how people here feel about it? It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I would love to see old friends back and would welcome most with very few exceptions.

:wub:

PS - to be clear, I speak as a member only and don't mean to imply any official TDB stance...

I and a few others miss the original dao forum terribly.

A good friend of mine was able to register https://www.originaltao.com/,  and has created a reddit community to allow for discussions. 

The idea for the original tao community is that all points of view are welcome, people would only be banned for bad behavior.

Everyone is welcome, registration is free and super easy.

The website and forum are very basic, but they provide the same functionality the original forum once did.

I hope to see you all there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Straybird said:

I and a few others miss the original dao forum terribly. …

I don’t recall there ever was a ‘Straybird’ member on OD. What was your username there? And who are these ‘others’?

4 hours ago, Straybird said:

… The idea for the original tao community is that all points of view are welcome, people would only be banned for bad behavior. …

But that didn’t work on OD. OD imo got closed to end being an outlet for some opinions deemed unacceptable. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cobie said:

I don’t recall there ever was a ‘Straybird’ member on OD. What was your username there? And who are these ‘others’?

But that didn’t work on OD. OD imo got closed to end being an outlet for some opinions deemed unacceptable. 

Every Yin needs it's Yang :)

Also I didn't post much on OD, mostly lurked under a different user name. 

It was interesting to read the discussions though.

Yes - there is a post now! :-)

So is your new OriginalTao forum part of Reddit?

And if so, what is the difference with the Discord-version?

Just now, wandelaar said:

Yes - there is a post now! :-)

So is your new OriginalTao forum part of Reddit?

And if so, what is the difference with the Discord-version?

I was unaware there was a discord.

I don't like discord for discussions, as it is more like a chat room.

I wish there could be a proper forum maybe eventually there will be, it looks like that would cost about $200 a year for something basic.

We talked about splitting the cost of that, but my friend who hosts the main website just simply asked why couldn't we just use a new subreddit as a forum. 

As Cobie mentioned there were some problems with unacceptable posts on OriginalDao, but I think that OriginalDao would have closed down anyhow. In the end there simply were not enough active members to have a vibrant forum with a continuous stream of fresh interesting discussions. Reddit has its own rules and regulations so I don't think unacceptable post will become a problem there on the new OriginalTao. But can you find enough active members/participants to still make for interesting discussions after say one of two years? That will be the main challenge...

10 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

As Cobie mentioned there were some problems with unacceptable posts on OriginalDao, but I think that OriginalDao would have closed down anyhow. In the end there simply were not enough active members to have a vibrant forum with a continuous stream of fresh interesting discussions. Reddit has its own rules and regulations so I don't think unacceptable post will become a problem there on the new OriginalTao. But can you find enough active members/participants to still make for interesting discussions after say one of two years? That will be the main challenge...

I don't think it will ever be as vibrant a forum as thedaobums is, maybe not even as great as the old originaldao.com

Still I think a place where people are free to discuss what they want so long as it isn't illegal and they are respectful should exist.

What we have now on originaltao.com offers that basic functionality.

With such modest expectations there's not much that can go wrong. ;-)

One last question: what's the page originaltao.com for?

4 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

With such modest expectations there's not much that can go wrong. ;-)

One last question: what's the page originaltao.com for?

Right now hosting it costs $12.00 per year, upgrading to hosting which would allow for a native forum would cost $200 for the most basic package. 

Right now my friend suggested we just use reddit to allow for discussions to save money on hosting, but eventually it may become it's own forum site.  

• Like 1

I would hope that Original Dao members would give this forum a second chance.  Very occasionally someone will say something deemed by some to be beyond the pale but there seems to be more wiggle room these days.  

5 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I would hope that Original Dao members would give this forum a second chance.  Very occasionally someone will say something deemed by some to be beyond the pale but there seems to be more wiggle room these days.  

Why not both?

Speak your mind on certain topics not allowed here on http://www.originaltao.com and everything else keep here on this forum.

It would help the moderators and site owner keep their sanity, and allow people to freely discuss whatever they choose.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Straybird said:

Why not both?

Speak your mind on certain topics not allowed here on http://www.originaltao.com and everything else keep here on this forum.

It would help the moderators and site owner keep their sanity, and allow people to freely discuss whatever they choose.

I don't think that would work. Reddit has it's own rules and regulations, and you will likely find out that many things that aren't allowed here aren't allowed on Reddit either. Furthermore a forum devoted solely to those things that aren't allowed here could hardly be called a Taoist forum.

• Like 1

As for myself I miss the philosophical discussions we had before the split up. It's now mainly about esoteric Taoism and kindred traditions here. Which I don't care about.

37 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

I don't think that would work. Reddit has it's own rules and regulations, and you will likely find out that many things that aren't allowed here aren't allowed on Reddit either. Furthermore a forum devoted solely to those things that aren't allowed here could hardly be called a Taoist forum.

What I mean is that certain political ideas, and worldviews are not allowed here, these topics would be allowed to be discussed on Reddit unless they crossed over into territory that was considered abusive or illegal. 

Right now Reddit is just a stopgap,  I mean I suppose we could register a free forum website if you feel that would work better?

Reddit seems pretty ubiquitous, easy to use, and register though.

Do you feel https://www.proboards.com/ would be a better solution than Reddit?

As to it not being a true Taoist forum,  I see no reason it couldn't be. 

In terms of community it will be hard to beat thedaobums.com, but maybe it would be nice to be around people who share your political beliefs and worldviews, or at least allow for discussions on them to take place.

I think orginaldao.com failed because of the amount of time, money and energy it took to maintain it's existence.

When I was talking with my friend we did our best to come up with a solution that was cheap, and easy to maintain.

Please let me know if you have any ideas that can help.

52 minutes ago, Straybird said:

What I mean is that certain political ideas, and worldviews are not allowed here, 

I'm not so sure this is true, or that it's as true as it once was.  Personally, I hope the forum remains a place where a wide variety of folks feel comfortable expressing themselves.  For this reason, I'm OK with the mods stamping out, for instance, white supremacist screeds.  But in practice I suspect that most bullshit -- even from conservative cows -- would pass muster.  

Edited by liminal_luke

Suppose the new forum would contain just a few new post every week, no more. And on most days there would be no activity at all. Would you still consider it a success then? If I remember well that was the level of activity at the end of the Original Dao.

You could start on Reddit, that's a good idea. But you have to realize that Reddit isn't completely free either. Personally I don't even think it wise to have a forum that's completely free, because that would mean that the most fanatic and bullying characters would dominate the discussions. The carefully chosen words of those who speak but little would drown in the chatter and agitation of those who like to hear themselves. Such would certainly not be a Taoist forum. Particularly not when all Taoist topics that can safely be discussed here on TDB are not discussed on the new OriginalTao forum. What Taoist topics would then be left for the new forum?

In my opinion the basic rule for any forum should be civility. What I disliked here when I joined OriginalDao was the Political Correctness that was added to the demand for civility.

• Like 1