Shadao

Tin Yat Dragon Taoist Temple's Freebies...ok, fake or dangerous?

Recommended Posts

Anyone knows if this temple and it's people are legit?

From a layman's perspective they seem to be...even if giving off a bit of "used car salesman" vibes in some videos...<_<

 

On one of their recent videos they "made it free" some scriptures and "books" but I don't know if their processes are legit or even if they should be ok to be attempted by beginners.

You can find the link to their pages with the "freebies" in this video:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See my post and the discussion here:

 

On 1/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

I went to the site

 

tinyatdragon.com

 

and it confirmed what I thought, that it is:

 

On 3/9/2015 at 6:58 AM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

The site is part of  a self-proclaimed Daoist master, Mak Tin Si, . . . (Mak tin Si's online activity, ZYD). Back in 2009 and 2010 he tried to take over the site through spamming and flame wars.  He is basically a cult leader who considers every thing but his own cult, Chi in Nature, evil, and the Dao Bums is simply part of this evil "everything else".  It is a particular sore spot to him because he failed to take over the forum over.  There have been many threads about this in the past, including some a couple of years ago, but I can't specifically site them now.

 

There was a great deal of activity related to his teacher, Mak Tin Si, and Chi in Nature, when I started on Dao Bums nine years ago.  So searching under Mak Tin Si, and Chi in Nature would be the way to research this.  I also seem to remember that this fellow, who seems to be in charge of teaching magic now, posted in the past year or so on Dao Bums to invite people to learn Daoist magic with him.  I don't think he got much of a response, as really not many here are interested in Daoist magic to begin with, though there are a small number of Dao Bums that are.

 

As a forum, the Dao Bums has no opinion about this group, we only post the opinions and experiences of our members about it.  Our members opinions have varied, but if you follow the link in the post of mine that I quoted, you can get an overview, and more of our members may weigh in here about them.  I did some research on their site when I first joined here, and as far as I can tell they do not represent a lineal descent from a specific school, but that the founders do represent some authentic aspects of Chinese magical tradition, and that they believe they were authorized in visions by the highest level of the Daoist Pantheon to teach.  I would suggest a lot of "due diligence" in regard to any association with them, but that is my personal opinion as a person with a good familiarity with Daoist Ritual and magic, and should not be confused with any official position of the Dao Bums, even though I am a moderator here.  As I have said the Dao Bums does not have an official position on this school.  I hope other members who remember past interactions with this group will join in with the discussion.

 

ZYD

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadao said:

Anyone knows if this temple and it's people are legit?

From a layman's perspective they seem to be...even if giving off a bit of "used car salesman" vibes in some videos...<_<

 

On one of their recent videos they "made it free" some scriptures and "books" but I don't know if their processes are legit or even if they should be ok to be attempted by beginners.

You can find the link to their pages with the "freebies" in this video:

 


Scam.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, how could such an overwhelmingly positive person, with such nice robes, be a scammer? 

 

Ok, the covid protection made me weary at first, but then all of it made perfect sense. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

overwhelmingly positive person

To be honest, I think this is why he gave me "used car salesman" vibes...it seemed "too try hard" y'know?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 2:09 AM, Earl Grey said:

 

 

Fu talismans are not hard to make honestly and with The Tao of Craft by Benebell Wen they are quite accessible to even the most uninitiated individual. There is a price to be paid for using them though... but that’s not for the subject at hand.

 

I am not a fan of MJS and Miss Wen and I both agree that he says funny things. The worst I saw was when he wrote in one of his many sites that Buddhism was demonic and what does he post to support it? A picture of a video game character, Gouki (Akuma in the US), and says that this is a Buddhist demon and to stay away from Buddhism. 

 

http://tantrismuskritik.blogspot.com/2013/05/taoism-vs-tibetan-buddhism.html

 

https://eldercraigblog2012.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/mak-jo-si-www-chiinanture-com-fake-daoist-god-aka-demon-worship-busted/

 

16 minutes ago, Shadao said:

To be honest, I think this is why he gave me "used car salesman" vibes...it seemed "too try hard" y'know?

 

The links from the post 2 years ago show you a prime example of how this is just all an ass pull. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irrespective of how Mr. Mak conveys his messages, it is better not to get associated with Thunder Magic for most people here.  If Neidan is secretive and short of info, Thunder Magic is totally obscure.   It cannot be learned by online nor in classes, the most traditional form of master/disciple relationship is at play.  It is also impossible to compare notes with other practitioners, nor assess how is one's progress.  When the teacher is no longer around, the student could be left alone to deal with the unkind spiritual world.  If a student is not from Chinese culture or Chinese religion, or doesn't know Chinese language, it could be very hard, not to mention they are not modern Mandarin.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Master Logray said:

Irrespective of how Mr. Mak conveys his messages, it is better not to get associated with Thunder Magic for most people here.  If Neidan is secretive and short of info, Thunder Magic is totally obscure.   It cannot be learned by online nor in classes, the most traditional form of master/disciple relationship is at play.  It is also impossible to compare notes with other practitioners, nor assess how is one's progress.  When the teacher is no longer around, the student could be left alone to deal with the unkind spiritual world.  If a student is not from Chinese culture or Chinese religion, or doesn't know Chinese language, it could be very hard, not to mention they are not modern Mandarin.

So TL;DR: Don't go seek Thunder Magic if you aren't Chinese/of the Chinese culture...got it.

Good thing that I seem to prefer more the Korean energetic systems rather than Chinese ones(save for Neidan).

 

Thunder magic seems interesting but magic-wise I think I prefer Chaos magic.Not as limitating, plus I don't depend on the graces of a deity to be able to "have magic power".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Shadao said:

So TL;DR: Don't go seek Thunder Magic if you aren't Chinese/of the Chinese culture...got it.

Good thing that I seem to prefer more the Korean energetic systems rather than Chinese ones(save for Neidan).

 

Thunder magic seems interesting but magic-wise I think I prefer Chaos magic.Not as limitating, plus I don't depend on the graces of a deity to be able to "have magic power".


Actually, @Zhongyongdaoist Mentioned something about Thunder Magic before somewhere in the forum, but I’ll leave that to you to look up or him to answer if he feels like he needs to elaborate beyond what he’s already expressed in a very detailed summary.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2021 at 9:15 PM, Shadao said:

So TL;DR: Don't go seek Thunder Magic if you aren't Chinese/of the Chinese culture...got it.

Good thing that I seem to prefer more the Korean energetic systems rather than Chinese ones(save for Neidan).

 

Thunder magic seems interesting but magic-wise I think I prefer Chaos magic.Not as limitating, plus I don't depend on the graces of a deity to be able to "have magic power".

 

I read Mak's 2 free books.  They are quite actually quite well-made, simple enough to understand.  The magic itself should be able to be operated by any race or language.  It is the spell that is problematic.  Taoist doesn't use Buddhist or Hindu's short sacred sound as spells, or Harry Potter style.   They use litany which can be quite lengthy.  If you don't know the language, it is near impossible to recite them by memorizing the pronunciations.   When the gods/deities are totally unknown to you, would it affect the connection?  or mess with the intricacies? 

 

I agree Mak seems act like a used car salesman.   But there is a need to know the background.   Mak's lineage belongs to the Zheng Yi Section, which is seldom mentioned here.  Zheng Yi is one of the 2 main sects of Taoists.  To be frank, if your impression on Taoist masters is someone with a plain robe, sitting in a nature surrounding, being vegetarian and speak of the mysterious of the universe and man's ascension in spirituality, embrace love and integration with the whole and often found in retreats, the ZY Taoists are often the exact opposite.  They are the magicians and religion bearer.

 

They don't have to stay in monasteries, they can eat meat, drink wine, get married, have children.  They often work alone, without a formal temple, though may have a place for the shrine at home.  Many of them are very street smart and belong to the lower strata of the society.   Their work nature requires them to be lethal at times, anyhow they are Magicians and Exorcists, and it is unfriendly spirits that they are always after.   In modern terms, they may be called a freelance magical service provider.   So we cannot apply the same standard on Neidanist or Philosophy Taoist to them.   They are more often judged by their power and ... business ethics, than looks.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites