Sign in to follow this  
Xantios

Qigong online suggestion

Hi there,

I lately discover Qigong and practicing Wim Hof Method I found the join very well together. 

I started on October a classroom training, but after few days it was stopped due the pandemic. So, I looked for an online course and watched the fundamental course of Lee Holden and liked a lot. Now I would like to go deep and I'm thinking if buying it's online course or look for someone different and would like your opinion. I found these and I will appreciate if someone that has followed them could tell me their opinion:

-Lee Holden

-White tiger

-Lotus neigong

-Videos of  dr yang jwing-ming 

If you have other suggestion I will have a look.

I have read that White tiger has a habit of bringing out hard-to-control anger when clearing the meridians, but I do not know if it is true or not. It would be something I suggest looking into if you're looking at picking it up.

Thanks for the notation. My practice is directed to mantain balance and avoid anger that is often hidden in myself so I will take care of your comment. I hope someone else here could give us more information about it.

Edited by Xantios

The only one of those systems I'm familiar with is LNG.  The Nei Gong training is laid out classically - meaning it's not meant to provide any specific outcome other than develop an individual's body, mind and energy system to the point where they're ready to go deeper into Daoist practices such as alchemy.

Health/body efficiency, mental stability and emotional resilience are byproducts that help make it easier in the later stages.

From what little I know of Wim Hof's practices - I don't know if they're outright contraindicated but they definitely won't synergize because the 'fuel' that's burned up in those breathing exercises is the same substance you need to regulate/nourish to progress in Nei Gong.

Edited by Wilhelm
  • Like 2

Damo actually mentions Wim Hof in his 'qi gong deviation' course (under tummo). Can't remember exactly what he said but he wasn't super positive about it.

I practiced wim hof method on and off (mostly on) for about five years. Some people claim to have had kundalini deviations as a result of it.  Apart from some nasty psoriasis flare ups, mainly from cold showers and ice baths during the winter, I didn't have any other negative reactions from it. But at the same time I didn't get much positive from it either, apart from a slight physical energy boost. 

Wouldn't really bother with it if you're looking at cultivation. Something like lotus neigong is probably more than enough on its own.

In my understanding Wim Hof burns the energy reserves of one's kidneys to strenghten the Wei Qi... The concern being that you'll deplete your kidneys and the damage will then show up later in life. There's also some talk about the "heat" being generated through the method is subdued by using the cold water immersion - so doing the breathing method by itself will also be more harmful than including the cold immersion as I understand it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anshino23 said:

so doing the breathing method by itself will also be more harmful than including the cold immersion as I understand it. 

Yes exactly that. Similarly, prolonged cold water exposure without a method of internal heating can lead to cold getting deep into the bones, creating problems like arthritis:

https://anncecilsterman.com/cold-plunge-cold-shower-hot-mess-by-ann-cecil-sterman/

But it's not always an even balance. Sometimes the breathing will heat you up too much, sometimes not enough.

• Like 2

Hi again.

As I said I arrived to Qigong practicing WH. I found that many Hoffers use Qigong with the breathing method of Wim (often as a warming training), so due to pandemic I looked for something that could be practiced online and with few space since at home I cannot move to much (otherwise I would have chosen taichi). I followed some videos of Lee Holden. I simply followed the movements and found that after it  the breathing rounds are more easy, probably because they relax the body and open better the diaphragm, but it's only my supposition.  

I found that he suggest the same breathing pattern of Wim starting from the belly (in qigong it's called tantien)  and finishing to the head, so it seams to me that there are similarities between them.

It's interesting your discussion about the contrast between qigong and WH due to the use of kidneys. Honestly, since I'm a practical person and considering that it's not measurable the energy (or QI) I like to practice and decide accordingly to the results, and I found that WH is useful to lower the stress. Consider that the Wh Method is often misunderstood, mainly from people that start only with the youtube videos. The heat generation for example happens if you increase the speed of breathing hyperventilating, but it's not the only way to practice. Obviously is useful to generate heat before immersing on cold water.

About the kidneys consumption I cannot understand in which way they could be damaged, and due to few studies in the long term of the method I doubt there is some evidences about it.

Anyway if you still can suggest me an online Qigong course I'll apreciate.

18 minutes ago, Xantios said:

About the kidneys consumption I cannot understand in which way they could be damaged, and due to few studies in the long term of the method I doubt there is some evidences about it.

Kidneys TCM ≠ kidneys in Western medicine. That's why there is no evidence. Also, take into account that most of the research done is short-term. There's no controlled studies follow-up after 5-10 or more years.

As for kidneys, we're talking about energetic effects pertaining to the "kidney system" in Chinese medicine view. More accurately it would translate to something like the HPTA-axis in a Western view, but even that is not accurate as we're talking about subtle energy flows and how the organ systems govern magnetic and electric fields within the body.

Edited by anshino23
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this