On 1.12.2020 at 4:40 PM, dmattwads said:

From a Buddhist point of view usually seeking powers for powers, sake is discouraged as it tends to increase the delusion of the self, BUT typically powers tend to be a side effect of getting into the Jhanas. As far as immortality goes the Buddha said one of the things that creates suffering in life is impermanence such as birth, aging, sickness, and death. Since there has never been any being that didn't eventually die this would seem to indicate that immortality isn't possible. 

How would you know?

Do you think immortals would go advertising themselves on Xmas markets?

Would you - if you were one of them?

Cheers

Michael

1 minute ago, Michael Sternbach said:

How would you know?

Do you think immortals would go advertising themselves on Xmas markets?

Would you - if you were one of them?

Cheers

Michael

If you look at outstanding figures they try to hide and usually can't fit long. Jesus kept telling people not to advertise what he did but did that work? No, he was constantly thronged by the masses. He would go off with his closest disciples for solice and the crowds would still find him. If someone never died that would be hard to hide forever.

1 minute ago, dmattwads said:

If you look at outstanding figures they try to hide and usually can't fit long. Jesus kept telling people not to advertise what he did but did that work? No, he was constantly thronged by the masses. He would go off with his closest disciples for solice and the crowds would still find him. If someone never died that would be hard to hide forever.

Jesus accepted a task that would inevitably put him in harm's way, no?

2 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Jesus accepted a task that would inevitably put him in harm's way, no?

Yes, how is that relevant? 

A better question. Do you know of anything that is permanent?

4 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Do you think any true immortal would wish to be known as such?

I can't really assume to know what anyone wants, but being general since there is a large segment of the population in general that seems to enjoy fame then I guess it's reasonable to assume a proportion of immortals (assuming such a thing even exists) would.

Edited by dmattwads

8 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Do you think any true immortal would wish to be known as such?

I mean there's the most famous supposed immoral of all, God and not only does he not hide it he seems to want everyone to worship the fact.

So I'd say yes, it would seem there are immortals that very much want to be known as such.

Edited by dmattwads

6 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

I can't really assume to know what anyone wants, but being general since there is a large segment of the population in general that seems to enjoy fame then I guess it's reasonable to assume a proportion of immortals (assuming such a thing even exists) would.

No longer once you even get near there, my friend...

1 minute ago, dmattwads said:

I mean there's the most famous supposed immoral of all God and not only does he not hide it he seems to want everyone to worship the fact.

So I'd say yes, it would seem there are immortals that very much want to be known as such.

Oh boy, that refers to nothing more than a distorted version of some Sumerian texts. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

No longer once you even get near there, my friend...

How so? Do explain? What is it about the path to immortality that would have such an affect?

1 minute ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Oh boy, that refers to nothing more than a distorted version of some Sumerian texts. 

Your skeptical about that immortal? But not other ones that there are no evidence for?

3 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

How so? Do explain? What is it about the path to immortality that would have such an affect?

The simple fact that you would not wish your immortality to be put on a hold in order to be dissected for the sake of science.

Just now, Michael Sternbach said:

The simple fact that you would not wish your immortality to be put on a hold in order to be dissected for the sake of science.

Then why do you dismiss God out of hand? And what causes you to think there are any immortals then? What do you base this belief on?

13 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Then why do you dismiss God out of hand? And what causes you to think there are any immortals then? What do you base this belief on?

What makes you think that I "dismiss God out of hand"?

That's a non-sequitor as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Michael Sternbach

6 hours ago, dmattwads said:

"Gods" are different in nature compared to "immortals". Their source is different. If I had to try to put it into words, which is quite an impossible task, I would compare immortals to highly evolved animals, whereas gods are more like highly evolved plants? Naturally, it is not meant literally, but their root nature is entirely different. 

Anything that is different compared to the standard will be targeted, so it is better to remain in obscurity. Those attuned to the dao will be satisfied being water sitting in puddles, rather than water gushing out of fountains. 

1 hour ago, XianGong said:

If someone were immortal that would be the top-secret to hold and not give away.

That's exactly what I was trying to say: The fact that there are no immortals known (other than in some stories and anecdotes) doesn't suggest that none exist. Because they would of necessity do their best to keep a low profile.

I don't think I have met any immortals personally, but I think there is plenty of reason to believe that some may exist, especially if you look into the history of Alchemy.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

I don't think I have met any immortals personally, but I think there is plenty of reason to believe that some may exist, especially if you look into the history of Alchemy.

Yeah, it's silly to think nobody has succeeded since the dawn of times, looking as all those cultivation practices exist for tens of thousands of years. There are even multiple ways to attain immortality.

We only know of those who probably were not the high level and were pretty public, so like Buddha, Jesus, and Bodhidharma. 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:29 AM, XianGong said:

Yeah, it's silly to think nobody has succeeded since the dawn of times, looking as all those cultivation practices exist for tens of thousands of years. There are even multiple ways to attain immortality.

Yes, there seem to be a few different (but evidently related) ones.

And I assume that many such cultivation practices are indeed rooted in the spirituality/science of extremely ancient civilization that are remembered in certain legends.

And there are many legends from all around the world about immortal or at least extremely long-lived people existing in time immemorial. What if they were more than fiction?

There are plenty of "mythological" occurrences that later turned out to be based on faintly remembered facts!

We only know of those who probably were not the high level and were pretty public, so like Buddha, Jesus, and Bodhidharma. 

I am not sure that those you mentioned "were not the high level" - especially if the stories told about them are based on truth!

In fact, I think that only a highly evolved Master is fit to take on that kind of mission in the "outer world" of ordinary human society.

Also, I think there may be different types of advancement - not all of which involve physical immortality, which however does not lessen them, necessarily.

That said, there may also be a number of highly advanced individuals who prefer to stay out of most human affairs, but nevertheless exert a certain influence on things from behind the scenes, even by their mere presence.

• Like 2