ChicagoMike

Mo Pai Nei Kung - New Here From Chicago

Hello my name is Michael, I'm 43 years old, from and living in Chicago. I'm glad to have found this website and hope to be able to both contribute as well as be able to find what information I am looking for as it relates to finding a teacher and more information about getting started the right way with Mo Pai Nei Kung.

Greetings ChicagoMike, I'm another Chicago Michael.  Sadly, Mo Pai discussions here tend to devolve.  Your introduction had me going through old Mo Pai discussions from 2009, with MJJ and Tongkosong, who had experience with mainland Mo Pai and John Chang.  Unfortunately you'll find mostly long circular discussions here, with a few good points scattered amongst the ruins.  Because its a 'closed art' who's higher ups forbid teaching to Westerners it remains controversial.  On the net you can find various people studying from the few books available on it.  Most here probably recommend caution.  We have a good interview with Kosta in the Author Interview section.  https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/21094-taobums-qa-with-kosta-danaos/

We're an eclectic philosophy forum for learning, discussing and cultivation.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and making some friends along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads, ask questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

TDB team

Read and review Our Rules:

Please take a moment to review our Forum Terms & Rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of content found on the website.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, spam, obscene, profane, threatens or incites violence, invasive of a person's privacy, nor of denigrating and/or erotically suggestive avatars, signatures, links and pictures, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

-Mal Rules & Use 7/22/11

Our Insult Policy- Read it, Live it

Tao bums is a moderated, privately owned, web site; all who agree with our guiding principals are welcome to join our discussions:

Treat other members with respect. No personal attacks.

Moderators are present to enforce this, please abide by their decisions.

Basically No personal attacks.
It is totally fine to vocally disagree with a person's opinion, technique, politics, approach, lifestyle choice, etc.

But no insulting (or links to attacks) of individuals, nationalities, genders, political preferences, lifestyle choices, etc.
While this may sound restrictive and categorically un-Taoist, I believe it is a useful guideline to help us stop for a moment and think about how to present our perspectives intelligently without just flinging unproductive rudeness at each other. This way other members can receive value from your perspective and you can gain clarity by reasoning out why you initially felt compelled to verbally put down someone else for being different.

No one, including the originating poster, gains anything from statements like "So and so is a complete moron", etc. If you have an opinion and you believe it's relevant to a topic at hand, post it as constructively as possible so we can learn from you, debate with you, ignore you, whatever.

If you can't abide by this simple constructive guideline, either create your post in a PPD or expect it can be moved. This is our mini-octagon here for those of you that insist on a more primitive breed of taoist war.

TheDaoBums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

TDBs' Cultural Context and Founding Principles  ver.2020-Jul-16
The purpose of this document is to concisely state the most fundamental framework principles that give TDBs it's distinctive shape.  This is not "all the rules, permutations, etc",  just the steel beams.

TDBs exists in the general field of "The Search for Truth".
The Usual organized formats (schools) for The Search tend to have:
    1. focus exclusively within a school
    2. hierachical learning structure, hierachical ability to speak
TheDàoBums' founding principles form a deliberate cultural counter-point:
    1. run independently of any school, which allows a more eclectic atmosphere
    2. conversational learning, egalitarian ability for members to speak
TDBs' social format is "cafeteria", not "classroom".  It's part of TDBs' premise that, broadly in culture, these two formats are necessary, distinct yet complementary.

TheDàoBums has a strong egalitarian ethic in that it's whole purpose is to provide a civil very open context for member conversations.  However, its governance structure is mostly top down; it's not a democracy.
- admins - own / run the board
- moderators - enforce rules
- members - converse  :)

TDBs' Conversational Context:
1. At TDBs member participation in conversation is non-hierarchical.  Meaning, members have equal ability to talk regardless of level of knowledge, achievement, or status / credentials of any kind.  TDBs has an underlying ethic of valuing the communication of each person.

2. TDBs most basic rules about conversation are around civility.

• While TDBs provides room for, encourages, lively, often vigorous and sometimes rough and tumble, debate ... that is balanced by protecting decency and sensitivity towards each other in such a variety of instances that no set of specific rules could ever adequately cover.
  • A moderator's basic role is to moderate members' incivility toward each other in conversation.  
  • Members support this process by 'reporting' offending posts

A fictional example of how 1&2 shake out:
If there's a TDBs debate about music between Mozart vs a beginning piano player, and it becomes heated enough that reports are generated for moderator consideration then, still, "level of knowledge, achievement, or status" are not basis for moderation.  Civility is, applied equally to each member.

It's up to each member, not moderators, to sort out the truth (and other questions of quality) for themselves in conversation.  Moderators just keep the conversation civil within reasonable limits.  For issues of staff bias, members can contact the current admin.

The staff (admins, moderators) also deserve and have protection against incivility and against abuse of staff resources.  Staff protection is enforced at the discretion of the admin, lead moderator/s, and by consensus of the moderation team.  The admin also has broad discretion to protect the civility and resources of any aspect within TDBs e-community.

signed,

- Trunk, author & past admin

- Sean, owner & admin of TheDàoBums

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChicagoMike said:

finding inding a teacher and more information about getting started the right way with Mo Pai Nei Kung.

1) Post more about it in the general section and wait until a member of SOMAD contacts you. 

2) Cross-reference McMillan's and Danaos' books with Damo Mitchell's material and have a go by yourself. 

Might want to master the "ignore" function if you pursue option one, although mods are hard on "instructional posts" these days so that might not be needed. 

I can't imagine any angle (good, bad, ugly, very ugly) on Mo Pai that hasn't been repeated dozens of times in the long run-on threads here.  Especially the modern ones that run for dozens of pages.  That being said, the oldest ones, with MJJ and Tongsokong are worthwhile because they seemed to have first hand knowledge, as does Kosta in his interview.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ChicagoMike said:

Hello my name is Michael, I'm 43 years old, from and living in Chicago. I'm glad to have found this website and hope to be able to both contribute as well as be able to find what information I am looking for as it relates to finding a teacher and more information about getting started the right way with Mo Pai Nei Kung.

Hi ChicagoMike, welcome to the bums.

Regarding finding a (legitimate) teacher, this may be nigh on impossible for a Westerner. The following post contains pertinent info (although it is in one of the more contentious threads to be found on this site):

Regarding information on the (very limited) practices which have been promoted as “mopai” the initial posts of the above linked thread may hold (some of) what you are looking for (at least what is available of it):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2020 at 5:06 PM, ChicagoMike said:

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the DaoBums.

My unsolicited, personal advice is free to newcomers interested in Mo Pai...

Beware!

MoPai is a dead end. No accredited teachers or lineage holders exist outside of Indonesia. All authorized teachers are forbidden to teach Westerners. What little information is available (2 practices of a 72 level system) is of dubious authenticity. The right way to get started is to find a teacher of a different system.

It’s important to be a discriminating consumer in the search for neigong.

Keep an open mind and I hope you enjoy your time here.

• Like 2

Hi and Welcome.

Seeing more people people from the Chicago area makes we wonder about having a social distanced meeting somewhere along the lake, sometime. 

• Like 1

Hey guy, the mo pai stuff might not be the best start. However, if you're after results to begin opening up your meridians an circulation of chi I suggest Black Dragon Nei Gong vids on youtube that guy Amin Jani is legit.

Aside from that, I did the mo pai thing an it helped me begin cultivation.

Relax, go outside in the sunny area an feel the warmth of the sun, sit on a by rock or grassy area that has a chill vibe, an literally try to pull that in during abdominal breathing into your lower dantian. Then at the end of he session, feel yourself compress it internally, the gathered solar yang chi, it feels like a light cloud feeling that keeps wanting to rise. At the end of the session, do reverse breathing an send the compressed chi down to your taint area.  It will shoot up spine, go to top part to head an drip downward. 

Take that stuff that was just made, an send it cycling your body. 

That begins opening up meridians and unblocking chi flow.

Eventually you can build it up an store it in yourself or flow it thru your body or refine it an do bone breathing, or refine it for supernatural capability. It's a very personal choice. 

Key is there's a lot of naysayers out there who focus on philosophy and gain very little with their training because they focus on mental ideas an visualization. My suggestion is focus on the real stuff, experiential knowledge is key. Yang energy in my experience is radial an expansive, like the 🌞. Yin is that chill vibe like when you walk barefoot on the earth.

I suggest u also get into Reiki, an do the following up above. It's a different energy but refining it that way boosts capability a bunch.

Also learn Orb of Life skills, an have it constantly feed life force to your meditation area, sleep area too.

An last but not least, if you can swing it, create a place that gathers different types of beneficial Chi for your practice. Ppl say energy is energy but that's like saying water is water, water can be sewer water, or mineral water, snow, etc. U learn to feel the best type for you personally. The rest u just leave alone.

Hope something I said here helps

• Like 1