Taomeow

Where do I look for a post of mine after I hide it?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So, I posted something, then decided I wanted to give it some more thought and maybe add/subtract later, and hit "hide" in the "options" menu toward that goal.  Yup, it's now hidden -- but where do I look for that post if I want to unhide it?

 

Thanks from the bottom of my technophobic heart for all returns.    

Edited by Taomeow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

So, I posted something, then decided I wanted to give it some more thought and maybe add/subtract later, and hit "hide" in the "options" menu toward that goal.  Yup, it's now hidden -- but where do I look for that post if I want to unhide it?

 

Thanks from the bottom of my technophobic heart for all returns.    


You can message one of us with the pertinent info, like title and location, and we can unhide it for you. 
 

36 minutes ago, zerostao said:

On your profile just beneath Taomeow, dao bums,

The icon to the right

 

I am pretty sure this would only work in her ppd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ilumairen said:


You can message one of us with the pertinent info, like title and location, and we can unhide it for you. 
 

 

 

Thank you, ilumairen. 

I thought I would be able to do it myself -- the whole idea of hiding was that I wasn't satisfied with it and didn't want it read by others until I determine and eliminate the dissatisfying feature(s).   Well, at least I'll know for the next time.  

 

51 minutes ago, zerostao said:

On your profile just beneath Taomeow, dao bums,

The icon to the right

 

15 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I am pretty sure this would only work in her ppd.

 

Thank you, zeros.  I think ilumairen is right.  :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ilumairen said:


You can message one of us with the pertinent info, like title and location, and we can unhide it for you. 
 

 

I am pretty sure this would only work in her ppd.

Oh, is it a mod powers thing? 

Strange, even before I became a mod again I could see my own hidden posts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Taomeow said:

 

Thank you, ilumairen. 

I thought I would be able to do it myself -- the whole idea of hiding was that I wasn't satisfied with it and didn't want it read by others until I determine and eliminate the dissatisfying feature(s).   Well, at least I'll know for the next time.  

 

 

 

Thank you, zeros.  I think ilumairen is right.  :(


If it is your most recent hidden post, I can copy/paste it to you, and then you could edit and repost.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zerostao said:

Oh, is it a mod powers thing? 

Strange, even before I became a mod again I could see my own hidden posts.


Should have only been the hidden posts in your ppd..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ilumairen said:


If it is your most recent hidden post, I can copy/paste it to you, and then you could edit and repost.

 

Thanks again.  I'll have to pass -- the whole point is, I don't want anyone to read it in its current form -- not because it's offensive or anything, it absolutely isn't... but I'm sure you don't need a lengthy explanation beyond "I don't want it read before I review it."  

 

Like zeros before he was mod, I used to also be able to hide and unhide my posts anywhere, not just in the PPD, and it was a wonderful feature.  I think I had it for years.  It felt like a safety net.  Some people believe that if they said something, it should never be unsaid, it's carved in stone for all eternity.  Others say something and then get a better idea five minutes later.  Sometimes I find myself in that latter category.

 

Anyway, it's not that important.  We lose many wonderful things along the way.   

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apropo of this topic, am I the only one who finds it mildly creepy that hidden posts (and, I believe, threads in PPJs) are

 not actually hidden from moderators?  I make it a point not to go snooping around where I´m not wanted but it´s a little unsettling to know that I could.  Members should be aware that if they don´t want anyone to read something the way to accomplish that is to erase through an edit.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the current software allows it, why not allow it. It is a useful feature. Seems ive always had it. I thought everyone did.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taomeow said:

 

Thanks again.  I'll have to pass -- the whole point is, I don't want anyone to read it in its current form -- not because it's offensive or anything, it absolutely isn't... but I'm sure you don't need a lengthy explanation beyond "I don't want it read before I review it."  

 

Surely, I don’t, and I am glad we’re at a stage where such is recognized. It was no more than a “from the hip” work around to something I am otherwise powerless to address.

 

Quote

Like zeros before he was mod, I used to also be able to hide and unhide my posts anywhere, not just in the PPD, and it was a wonderful feature.  I think I had it for years.  It felt like a safety net.  Some people believe that if they said something, it should never be unsaid, it's carved in stone for all eternity.  Others say something and then get a better idea five minutes later.  Sometimes I find myself in that latter category.

 

 

Was this something which didn’t transition well when the forum changed over to the present software?

 

In any case, I am sorry that an option you found useful seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.

 

 

Quote

Anyway, it's not that important.  We lose many wonderful things along the way.   


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zerostao said:

If the current software allows it, why not allow it. It is a useful feature. Seems ive always had it. I thought everyone did.


May I ask, do you remember if you were able to see other’s hidden posts as well prior to getting concierge status? (Just curious about which switches would need to be flipped here, and why they don’t seem to have been flipped across the board.)

 

4 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Apropo of this topic, am I the only one who finds it mildly creepy that hidden posts (and, I believe, threads in PPJs) are

 not actually hidden from moderators?  I make it a point not to go snooping around where I´m not wanted but it´s a little unsettling to know that I could.  Members should be aware that if they don´t want anyone to read something the way to accomplish that is to erase through an edit.

 

I am in agreement with this.. although I didn’t find it surprising. Personally I have a “none of my business file” which is now much more utilized when viewing ppds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In looking at the forum settings, there is a setting to allow/disallow members to hide their own posts.

There is no option to specifically allow them to unhide that I can find.

I assumed that members can see their own hidden posts but it seems that is not correct.

As far as I can tell, members need to ask mods to unhide hidden posts. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steve said:

In looking at the forum settings, there is a setting to allow/disallow members to hide their own posts.

There is no option to specifically allow them to unhide that I can find.

I assumed that members can see their own hidden posts but it seems that is not correct.

As far as I can tell, members need to ask mods to unhide hidden posts. 


Thanks for looking deeper into this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmnn, if we could find it, the mods might have the power to place a hidden thread into a hidden Topic in your PPD.  That way only you could see it and edit it. 

 

ie you create hidden Topic in your PPD and if we can find the hidden thread, we could place it there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, thelerner said:

hmnn, if we could find it, the mods might have the power to place a hidden thread into a hidden Topic in your PPD.  That way only you could see it and edit it. 

 

ie you create hidden Topic in your PPD and if we can find the hidden thread, we could place it there.

 

Thanks for the idea, thelerner.  I'll have to pass.  By now that particular post is no longer needed, and the solution I'm looking for is along more general lines.  I.e. for the person who's hidden her own post (with utmost ease -- just a "hide" button) to be able to unhide it herself (with similar utmost ease, with an "unhide" button like in the PPD.  Say you hit "hide," the post turns pink, and you hide it from everybody else but not from yourself, LOL.  I would never knowingly "hide" a post which I would have to ask someone else to go on a wild goose chase to retrieve.)  Without giving any extra work to the mods.  That would be copacetic methinks.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taomeow said:

 

Thanks for the idea, thelerner.  I'll have to pass.  By now that particular post is no longer needed, and the solution I'm looking for is along more general lines.  I.e. for the person who's hidden her own post (with utmost ease -- just a "hide" button) to be able to unhide it herself (with similar utmost ease, with an "unhide" button like in the PPD.  Say you hit "hide," the post turns pink, and you hide it from everybody else but not from yourself, LOL.  I would never knowingly "hide" a post which I would have to ask someone else to go on a wild goose chase to retrieve.)  Without giving any extra work to the mods.  That would be copacetic methinks.  

 

I agree but haven’t found a setting to make that happen. I put in a teq request. Don’t think the current platform supports it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

The hide button is a bit of a misnomer.  We might rename it the hide-from-yourself (and some others) button.

... or the Lose button

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

The hide button is a bit of a misnomer.  We might rename it the hide-from-yourself (and some others) button.

 

46 minutes ago, steve said:

... or the Lose button

 

Or the Hide-and-Seek button.  (You hide, they seek.)

 

Maybe even, per liminal suggestion, the Clementine button.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites