Sign in to follow this  
Bogge

Zhan Zuang - Chest Pain?

Hi, so I am back to qigong after a few years of losing my way. I am starting with the Way Of Energy book. And I am currently doing 5 minutes of standing.

Today I felt chest pain. So I stopped. What could this be?

Thanks for your time.

2 hours ago, Bogge said:

Today I felt chest pain. So I stopped. What could this be?

can you describe it better?

4 hours ago, freeform said:

can you describe it better?

It felt like my front chest was tightening it was on the front right in the middle of the chest. It felt like surges of energy to be honest. As soon as i stopped the practice the pain went away.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bogge said:

It felt like my front chest was tightening it was on the front right in the middle of the chest. It felt like surges of energy to be honest. As soon as i stopped the practice the pain went away.

sharp or more dull like a bruise? On the front of the sternum or on the inner side?

it could be lots of things - either positive (a sign of something opening) or not beneficial (a sign of something you’re doing wrong).

Easiest way for us to see which it is is with a photo of your posture (side on and from front)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bogge said:

sharp pain. stinging. on front of the sternum. Thanks

ok - that sounds like the result of an error of some sort.

Spend more time on the posture with the arms down by your side. You really must achieve a good posture here before raising your arms in the embracing posture. You must be able to sink your Qi first.

• Like 2

Sounds to me like muscle tension and strain in the pectoral muscles, maybe the intercostals.

This can be due to arm position, spine alignment, restricted or forced breathing. 

If you don't have a teacher,  you need to be your own. It's tough to learn the subtleties from books or videos.

One important skill is to learn to listen carefully to the body and trust in that relationship.

This allows us to make the necessary subtle adjustments in posture, breathing, duration of practice and so forth.

When I was taught to stand, I was advised not to practice any posture other than standing post until the arms began to rise naturally and spontaneously. It took about 6 months for that to happen. 

• Like 3

Thanks alot for the replies people. If it continues I will provide pictures. I am currently at the Wu Chi positions with arms down.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this