blackfence

How do you make decisions the spiritual way?

How does one deal with difficult decisions? From the psychological perspective, it's important that one be clear and honest about what you want. Therapy and artistic expression can help with this. But from a purely spiritual perspective, you simply recognize that you are not the doer and that you have nothing to do with decisions. You let the mind fall absolutely quiet through surrender or inquiry. The funny thing is that these approaches are not actually opposed. They occur in different contexts.

• Like 1

I used to be (many many years ago)   the chairperson of a 'Baha'i Spiritual Assembly' - an elected council of 9 that helps run the affairs of a community , they replace the function of 'clergy' in other religions .  Since they have to sometimes decide on affairs that effect peoples lives, it is very important to make a 'spiritual decision'  and not a selfish one .  very basically it works like this ;

First you have to get in 'spiritual mode' - there is no point coming into it from some charged emotive state , so one must have the ability to leave that behind . They used the method of prayer for that ,  the meetings started with prayer or philosophical readings . The key thing is to release your attachments to any opinion offered  , put it 'in the pot on the table '  (there isnt one, thats a metaphor ), then release it as your own idea / contribution, examine it as you do the other contributions, by keeping in mind the best solution to the problem .

Easy to say that, some are  able to this and others cant really, they mask it but underneath they are pushing for their own ideas.

I suppose it takes 'spiritual people ' to make 'spiritual decisions '  ... remedy ?  Get 'spiritual' .

The test is - its fairly easy for the 'advanced' to decide on an issue that might effect others , but one may also have to decide on an issue that effects YOU as well , thats the real test of any spiritual decision making for community !

Get more 'spiritual'    (  become selfless, develop understanding, cultivate wisdom and balance mercy and severity , but do not fear to act )  .   The idea is (in Bahai ), if you stick together, even a wrong decision will become apparent and you can fine tune it or drop and change it later , the community learns together in experience . becoming attached to all different opinions and solutions, causes division, which is hard to resolve and the community may not learn adapt and evolve . Otherwise there are people undermining decisions that go against their personal wants .  If the council/ors    cant get it together  or keep making unpopular decisions then  the community is able to vote different members in . 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nungali said:

I used to be (many many years ago)   the chairperson of a 'Baha'i Spiritual Assembly' - an elected council of 9 that helps run the affairs of a community , they replace the function of 'clergy' in other religions .  Since they have to sometimes decide on affairs that effect peoples lives, it is very important to make a 'spiritual decision'  and not a selfish one .  very basically it works like this ;

First you have to get in 'spiritual mode' - there is no point coming into it from some charged emotive state , so one must have the ability to leave that behind . They used the method of prayer for that ,  the meetings started with prayer or philosophical readings . The key thing is to release your attachments to any opinion offered  , put it 'in the pot on the table '  (there isnt one, thats a metaphor ), then release it as your own idea / contribution, examine it as you do the other contributions, by keeping in mind the best solution to the problem .

Easy to say that, some are  able to this and others cant really, they mask it but underneath they are pushing for their own ideas.

I suppose it takes 'spiritual people ' to make 'spiritual decisions '  ... remedy ?  Get 'spiritual' .

The test is - its fairly easy for the 'advanced' to decide on an issue that might effect others , but one may also have to decide on an issue that effects YOU as well , thats the real test of any spiritual decision making for community !

Get more 'spiritual'    (  become selfless, develop understanding, cultivate wisdom and balance mercy and severity , but do not fear to act )  .   The idea is (in Bahai ), if you stick together, even a wrong decision will become apparent and you can fine tune it or drop and change it later , the community learns together in experience . becoming attached to all different opinions and solutions, causes division, which is hard to resolve and the community may not learn adapt and evolve . Otherwise there are people undermining decisions that go against their personal wants .  If the council/ors    cant get it together  or keep making unpopular decisions then  the community is able to vote different members in . 

Very interesting, thanks for the description!

15 hours ago, manitou said:

Before you do anything at all, ask yourself what would happen if you did nothing.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:35 AM, blackfence said:

How does one deal with difficult decisions?

Hi blackfence,

What are (is) difference(s) between easy and difficult decisions ~ if any?

From the psychological perspective, it's important that one be clear and honest about what you want.

What I want and do?

... artistic expression can help with this.

More than words? How about feelings?

But from a purely spiritual perspective, you simply recognize that you are not the doer and that you have nothing to do with decisions.

Can there ever be a purely spiritual perspective?

If I have nothing to do with decisions, then I will not have any decision to make. Om

You let the mind fall absolutely quiet through surrender or inquiry.

th?id=OIP.at6KdboqLShVZ8XK0P2U6wHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=211&h=159... or?

The funny thing is that these approaches are not actually opposed. They occur in different contexts.

Being 'spiritual'  is complex and it is rooted in dualism?

Thank you for this opportunity that allows me to air my thoughts. I am not being critical.

- Anand

On 7/1/2020 at 6:08 AM, Nungali said:

they have to sometimes decide on affairs that effect peoples lives, it is very important to make a 'spiritual decision'  and not a selfish one .

Hi Nun,

How have you been? Keep safe and well.

I am reading easier to note this in parenthesis - 'spiritual decision'.

A profound post from you. .. Get more 'spiritual' (become selfless, develop understanding, cultivate wisdom and balance mercy and severity , but do not fear to act). Deep thoughts.

I will read it more in-depth at another time. It is now 3:30 am at my end.

Goodnight.

- Anand

19 hours ago, manitou said:

Before you do anything at all, ask yourself what would happen if you did nothing.

Evil would triumph ... according to Edmund Burke   :)

• Thanks 1

I gather info until I'm sated.

I mull it over for a time and actively forget about it, putting it out of monkey mind and allowing spherical listening and the unconscious to work at it.

When the time comes to decide; I follow my strongest impulse.

Though I should qualify that, I don't believe humans engage in choice, or decision... what others describe as decisions... I experience as compulsions and conditioned responses to stimuli that arise from the unconscious, which are later rationalized as a decision but when present in the moment, arise from a nonplace of which I know naught and are experienced as coming through me, rather than stemming from me.

As for spiritual or not, to me it's all spirit... I've yet to encounter anything or non thing in awareness that was not spiritual in nature.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Nungali said:

Evil would triumph ... according to Edmund Burke   :)

I don't believe Edmund is right.  I think the Universe is based on love, or mutual attraction.  If human endeavors get out of the way, the Universe will straighten itself.  It knows.  

The concept of evil is a dual one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, manitou said:

I don't believe Edmund is right.  I think the Universe is based on love, or mutual attraction.  If human endeavors get out of the way, the Universe will straighten itself.  It knows.  

The concept of evil is a dual one.

I think Edmund was talking about  when humans ARE in the way ... ie. within human context .

I agree that the Universe is based on 'love'  .... that 'mutual attraction , that , in its essence , is a joining together of pairs , polarities, opposites,  that creates unity .   All this water everywhere !  Oxygen must really love  hydrogen !

' For I am divided for love's sake, for the chance of union.'  - Nuit .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nungali said:

I agree that the Universe is based on 'love'  .... that 'mutual attraction , that , in its essence , is a joining together of pairs , polarities, opposites,  that creates unity .

Hi Nun,

I am on this page of  'love'...

th?id=OIP.B5TqQwX_OzTjFpMSPDKCJAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300  th?id=OIP.On7in90AYsHh5UkFHAmUwgAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=221&h=167 th?id=OIP.L9PRHigGXqCOJXVkSTc5hgHaJQ&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300 

fc1a837c37fcf364edd9cb814cecdbb0.gif th?id=OIP.WGqsoLvbl_TKyXxBzINGwgAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

Let love grows...

- Anand

On 7/15/2020 at 8:06 AM, silent thunder said:

Though I should qualify that, I don't believe humans engage in choice, or decision... what others describe as decisions... I experience as compulsions and conditioned responses to stimuli that arise from the unconscious, which are later rationalized as a decision but when present in the moment, arise from a nonplace of which I know naught and are experienced as coming through me, rather than stemming from me.

Hi Creighton,

When present in the moment ~ what is 'spiritual' is to each his/her own?

A person is deemed to be more 'spiritual' when (s)he is more conscious/aware of such a moment?

Is a spontaneous response in the moment ~ a 'spiritual' choice/decision...? I think not.

- Anand

37 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Is a spontaneous response in the moment ~ a 'spiritual' choice/decision...? I think not.

I think the trick is, while in the moment, to remember who we really Are.  From that point of clarity all things can be seen.

11 minutes ago, manitou said:

I think the trick is, while in the moment, to remember who we really Are.  From that point of clarity all things can be seen.

the "still small voice" can roar instantaneously with truth and a will that follows it which can not be denied...for then there are no self-consuming or negating conflicts of doubt concerning a right decision...