thelerner

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads here

Not easy being a dad.  It's a lifelong gig requiring patience, wisdom and love, full of trials.  A tug of war between conflict and connection.    

So.. happy Fathers day to the Dao Bum Dads. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

Not easy being a dad.  It's a lifelong gig requiring patience, wisdom and love, full of trials.  A tug of war between conflict and connection.    

So.. happy Fathers day to the Dao Bum Dads. 

You too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thelerner said:

Hi Michael,

Thank you for this thread and your presence at TDB.

On 3/31/2017 at 6:52 AM, Marblehead said:

Hello Limahong, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead

Thank you ~ Dada-Da.

========================================================================================

TO ALL PAPA's... THANK YOU... FROM YOUR LOVED ONES...

========================================================================================

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being a father has been a mixed bag, which is one way of stating the obvious.  I am glad I waited until I was old enough and relatively healthy enough to not pass on too much of my own neuroses, but, oops, too late, she already has some.  From the perspective of Chinese astrology, I'm a rat who married a horse, which was bad enough, but then my wife popped out a rabbit, and putting rats and rabbits together is like cozying up with a blanket made of steel wool.  But she has my nervous system; imaginative, some good somatic intelligence, can replicate melodies with ease, and a fierce curiosity. 

My only reservations, and these keep me up at night, is the prospect of how to raise a child with an ecological education in a world that appears to be failing ecologically.  How to teach a child to love nature, only to realize that once she's old enough, our planet's perilous journey towards mass extinction is going to break her heart, perhaps even drive her mad with grief, as is demonstrably the case with millions of others.  Roy Scranton's piece, "Raising a Daughter in a Doomed World" captures the sentiment shared by parents everywhere.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/opinion/climate-change-parenting.html 

And yet, we go on, we continue, because if impermanence means anything, it's that there is always a chance real progress can sprout when and where we least expect it. 

Edited by Encephalon
typo
  • Like 1

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads here. And Happy Father's Day to all the kids of Dads here too :) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Encephalon said:

My only reservations, and these keep me up at night, is the prospect of how to raise a child with an ecological education in a world that appears to be failing ecologically.  How to teach a child to love nature, only to realize that once she's old enough, our planet's perilous journey towards mass extinction is going to break her heart, perhaps even drive her mad with grief, as is demonstrably the case with millions of others.  Roy Scranton's piece, "Raising a Daughter in a Doomed World" captures the sentiment shared by parents everywhere.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/opinion/climate-change-parenting.html 

And yet, we go on, we continue, because if impermanence means anything, it's that there is always a chance real progress can sprout when and where we least expect it. 

My only 2 observation are- We teach best by example.

Also some things, ecologically are improving.  As you stated 'there's always a chance real progress can sprout' and that is a gift our children give us.

5 hours ago, Encephalon said:

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

Also some things, ecologically are improving.  As you stated 'there's always a chance real progress can sprout' and that is a gift our children give us.

7M-6wm.gif

Sprout today...

55fecac2de2b1eda0f54a547801c6030.jpg

Tomorrow can/will/should... be better.